Tuesday 20th February 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 21, 2018, 9:28 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #26 of 32 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussWWFC] Tuesday 20th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chester 0-1 Leyton Orient
National League
£18 in
Att: 1935

Doing my bit for my 2nd team in their hour of need, this was my first visit to the ground for a couple of years. I think a few others thought likewise, as this crowd was up on recent games. Decent turnout to see two struggling sides on a cold Tuesday night.

The game showed why both are struggling. Precious little quality in the final third. Orient just about deserved their win, as they looked more accomplished on the ball throughout. The only goal came midway through the 2nd half, just as I was getting resigned to a stalemate. My last 3 games have seen just 3 goals, which is very unusual for me.

Chester are looking just about nailed on for relegation. Their more important battle is off the pitch. As long as they survive that's the main thing. One ray of light was a MotM performance from 18yo local lad Tom Crawford, who looks an excellent prospect in midfield.

Ground unchanged from my previous visit. In fact, it hasn't changed much since my first visit (and completing the 92 for the first time) way back in 1993!

hemelhopper
First Team Regular

Feb 21, 2018, 9:36 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #27 of 32 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussWWFC] Tuesday 20th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Look away now as it’s not the Non-League this time .. Wink

Barnsley 1-2 Burton Albion (EFL, Championship League)
- played at Oakwell Stadium, Barnsley

Att – 11,774 (official); Entry - £23; Programme - £3 (nice job); Parking - £5; Badge - £2.50 .. and a Hot Choc for £2.
Weather – cool, decent and dry
Travel – M27, M3, A34, M40, A43, M1 off at Jct 37 in 4 hours .. back via M1, M25 and near the A3 (4 road closures along the way) .. indoors by 3.0am.
Colours – Tykes in red tops and white shorts .. Brewers in all yellow with black trim to shoulder blades.

So tonight’s destination .. a game 240 miles away .. and its amazing how we just set the mind and then off we go .. for me a simple case of the penultimate ground in the Championship .. but I suspect other’s who passed me by were on a more personal trip to watch “their” team .. taking in those high emotions under the bright lights, which the Oakwell Stadium had in abundance, as I crawled into the South car park at around 6pm, after a steady drive up from the south coast .. with a classic relegation 6 pointer on hand .. an immense game for the winners if found.

Loved the ground .. had a seat in the lower East at halfway .. the Brewers travelling hoard up high in the North .. the majority of Tykes in the South, CK Beckett .. and the main old ‘an .. a throw back to those real times, over in the West .. reminding me of a smaller north in the home city, just more exposure here to the elements if it rained.

The evening out attracted the local folk, who probably were able to chew through bricks from the adjacent terraced houses, if asked to go through a brick wall for their team .. wearing modern woollen on top and the traditional flat .. arriving nervy .. expectant .. especially with a new Manager to contemplate this night .. ever hopeful that perhaps an odd loanee from Josè may assist as time moved on.

The game was pure theatre .. three great worldy strikes on 1 and 45 (see link) by the visitors .. and on 75 for our hosts .. then latter denied an equaliser on 88, as flag went up to stop hysteria .. after the Brewers had controlled the first hour and then chose to stop playing .. sat back and let the mass ranks of red let their frustrations out, trying to will the ball into the net .. but all to no avail, as five minutes of stoppage passed .. the six pointer was won .. and Albion were off the bottom .. leaving the Tykes thankful that Sunderland had also lost .. nerves a plenty still to be dealt with .. going into the last few months of this season.

.. and my lasting memory will be of the supporters I sat next to .. from one, stating it was the worst first twenty minutes seen in the last two years .. another dissecting and commentating on every misplayed pass and player’s decision .. the majority in frustration of the Ref’s decisions .. but all offering such humour throughout, during an evening of total disbelief .. as they watched their team lose .. knowing another brickwall has to be knocked down .. when they come back to support “their” Club .. win, lose or draw.

Brewers 2nd goal - https://twitter.com/redlegTudor/status/966048835469488128

Grounds Visited = 477, Leagues done = 6 (45 to go); Games in 18-19 Season = 19; New Grounds this Season = 13; Goals seen this Season = 46; Ave goals / game = 2.42; Last new ground = Athletico Romsey; Next Game = Sat 18th Aug 2018

(This post was edited by hemelhopper on Feb 21, 2018, 9:42 PM)

revandyw
Junior Team Star

Feb 21, 2018, 9:41 PM

Team(s): WBA / Havant & Waterlooville

Post #28 of 32 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Southern Combination Premier
Worthing United (0) 2-1 (1) Arundel
Entrance: £6, prog included
Attendance: 40

A extremely bitter wind was blowing at the Robert Albon Memorial Ground. For the first 45 minutes Worthing looked awful. Arundel had plenty of chances, but seemed incapable of getting a shot on target until they scored just before half-time. Then early in the second half, United equalised from a well hit free kick. After that, they looked the a much better side and deservedly took the lead in the 82nd minute. Some pretty poor football played at times by both sides, but highly entertaining.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Feb 22, 2018, 11:21 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves

Post #29 of 32 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [revandyw] Tuesday 20th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Integro League Cup 2nd Round
Warrington Town 0 Lancaster City 2
admission pass, prog £2
Food on sale
Att 108

Nine changes for this one predictably with four debutantes from the academy side meant we got out of having t play another game we don't need.
City were stronger as a result and deserved the win, and with promotion far less likely I guess this meant more to them that Town, who are quite frankly happy to be out of it.

Monday's game with Winsford will be similar as 3 games in 4 days including a midweek trek to Grantham is not realistic for the same group of payers

Ipeland
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 22, 2018, 8:57 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #30 of 32 (756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Tuesday 20th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wallsend Community 1-8 Hazlerigg Victory (1-1 HT) at Druid Park
Northern Alliance Division One
Admission: Free, Programme: None
Attendance: 8 (average h/c, fluctuated as game went on)

My first choice at Spennymoor was called off in the morning, and all reachable grounds were revisits, so I stuck relatively local for some more Northern Alliance fun. Quarter past 8 kick off meant a later start than normal, short hop on the metro to Callerton Parkway then a 5 minute walk to the entrance, arriving with about 10 minutes to kick off.

This match, like last Thursday, had been arranged so one of the sides could catch up with their backlog of fixtures, with Hazlerigg having up to 7 games in hand on some sides in the division. Credit is due to Wallsend Community, who were also in the match last week, for being willing to play three game in six days when some Premier League managers would've been whining if their team had such a schedule. The first half was pretty competitive and even, most of the action taking place in the middle of the park for the first half hour as neither side gained an advantage. The deadlock was broken on 29 minutes, Hazlerigg winning a penalty after a trip in the box which was converted by Richard Coulson. Wallsend equalised around 5 minutes later, a shot from outside the box after a decent run through the defence was deflected off someone's leg and went past the keeper. At half time it seemed like Wallsend might be able to pull off another good result against title contending opposition, but this all went to pot in the second half. Pretty much straight from kick off, Hazlerigg got a goal, Martin Soulsbury getting on the end of a long ball before finishing well from inside the box. The Wallsend defence wrongly claimed the goal and gave some abuse to their club linesman, prompting him to throw the flag up and go back to the dugouts after about a minute of running the line. Was tempted to offer to do it myself but a replacement was found soon enough who did a very good job for the rest of the match. The early goal sapped confidence from Wallsend and this combined with some pacey subs meant it was one-way traffic for the rest of the half, with the remaining 6 goals coming in a pretty much constant stream right up until the final whistle, Hazlerigg showing why they will be in the title picture if the games don't catch up to them.

Previously visited here for a Saturday match in January although I didn't post about it here for some reason. One medium sized stand with wooden bench seating and a covered standing area adjacent, hard standing otherwise. Tea bar is inside the clubhouse building which was surprisingly open tonight, usual stuff available. Airport runways very close by, loads of planes flying in even at this time of day, the metro to/from the airport also runs behind one side although not very visible from pitchside. Apart from a few houses and a hotel/pub, there really isn't any population around, which isn't good for drawing crowds as seen by West Allotment's average attendance. As noted elsewhere on the forum, Newcastle Uni are apparently going to move here if they get promoted from the Northern Alliance, can't really see flocks of students coming here to watch so they will likely be stuck in the same situation. My second single figure crowd that I've been a part of, although it was difficult to tell how many were club people or not so might've been more. Journey back fine and indoors just before 2240.

Grounds visited: 222
Last new ground: Ashton Town Stadium (Ashton Town)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Feb 25, 2018, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #31 of 32 (401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Tuesday 20th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford 5 v 0 Birmingham City FL Championship Admission S/T Prog £3.50 Att 9511

It was the return of the 3 Brentford players who Birmingham purchased in August for appox £11-£12 million. 2 of these players were in the last year of their contracts and we managed to convince Arry Redknapp to pay about £9 million for these two and the most expensive signing Jota was kept on the bench. Brentford had the better of the game for most of the time and took the lead after 30 minutes when Watkin's 25 yard shot squirmed under Stockdale's body, Flo Jo made it 2 before half time. Jota was brought on for Birmingham at half time but 10 minutes into the second half Brentford were 4 up with Maupay scoring twice, one of which was down to another error by Stockdale, before Watkins added a fifth. Stockdale then made a couple of good saves to partly make up for his earlier errors.
I suspect Harlee Dean must be regretting his comments earlier in the season that he had joined a better team in Birmingham than the Brentford team that made the Championship play offs a few seasons ago, Dean rightly got a fair amount of stick from the Bees faithful.

leominster
First Team Star

Feb 27, 2018, 7:40 PM

Team(s): Cardiff City, KV Kortrijk, BFC Dynamo

Post #32 of 32 (322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Tuesday 20th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dover Athletic 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 0
National League
Admission : £17 for me, £8 for my son, programme £2.50
Attendance : 677 including 78 away

Awful game. Not helped by the state of the pitch, the ball spent most of its time in the air or out of play. Just a few brief glimpses of quality including the only goal which was an overhead kick and a couple of nice pieces oof play from the home side in the second half which led to shots that went just wide.

If I see a worse game than this before the end of the season I will count myself extremely unfortunate.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3