Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Monday 19th February 2018

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2018, 8:23 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Monday 19th February 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Walking down Western Road in the direction of New Lodge, the prevailing feature is the brightness in front of you, is it the new bright floodlights or the messianic presence of Mr Tamplin.....

Billericay Town 3 v 1 Corinthian Casuals - Isthmian League Cup Semi Final
Prog 44 pages 3.00 - Admission 11.00 - Att 443

...Arrived sufficiently early to have a wander around including a look at the much publicised mural that is painted/graffitied onto the back of the stand. I am sure that views of this can be made online rather than venturing to New Lodge, but it is truly an example of art/graffiti as cliche. The picture of a Billericay stalwart throwing down his scarf in horror at yet another miserable display was nearly PMSL material and then the ending when GT arrives to lead them to the promised land.

The whole aspect of the last 13 months worth of theatre at New Lodge, surely would have been much more easier to take without the cults of ego and celebrity intruding. A great pity as what has been achieved during the above period is remarkable, a vastly improved ground, a seemingly impregnable position at the top of the ILP, a possible trip to Wembley in the Trophy and with the above win a passage to the second of two cup finals.

The one aspect where there is need for improvement is the New Lodge pitch, which without being unkind belonged in the 1970's and was barely playable through the middle. Only just passed a 19.00 inspection which surely would have failed if a formal inspection had been called earlier in the day.

Despite the cloying mud, for the first hour this was hugely entertaining. One noticeable aspect of Billericay's ethos this season is to play strong teams for 'minor' cup competitions and there was the likes of Jake Robinsion, Jamie O'Hara and Danny Waldren starting and Sam Deering, Adam Cunnington on the bench. For the first half hour, it looked as if it was ll going horribly wrong for the hosts and that a mini crisis of results was going to ensue after a rare defeat 48 hours earlier.

There were no inhibitions in Corinthian Casuals' play with the lesser names of Hamilton Antonio and Max Oldham threatening down either flank. A good run from the former which carved open a stuck in the mud home defence threatened but regrettably led to a low cross just behind the onrushing forwards. The raucous group of visiting ultras were given cause for great celebration when an attempted back pass from Waldren which on a normal surface would have rolled easily back to be punted upfield instead stuck in the mud allowing Odunaike to accept the gift and divert past Giddens to give the visitors the lead.

For the remainder of the half, the visiting defence stuck to the likes of Robinson, O'Hara et al in the same way that the mud stuck to the underside of lurid green and orange boots. Though one aspect of the hosts play is that they are prolific scorers and after Hughes planted a good headed opportunity, wide, no mistake was made from a second perfectly dispatched with his head under the bar.

As is so often the case with the hosts, there was a significant change of personnel at half time with a triple substitution. All well intentioned, but when Urquhart ended up concussed and needing a precautionary trip to Basildon Hospital, means that you have to negotiate the final 20 minutes with a player deficit. By the time of this occurrence, the contest had reverted to type and Billericay were en route to the League Cup final.

They took the lead with a perfectly executed rising and curling effort from a narrow angle from Bricknell when the visitors could not clear a corner and the match as a contest was ended by a second woefully short back pass of the evening which stuck in the sludge, on this occasion from the visitors allowing Bricknell the opportunity. Shot was far too close to Bracken but he was only able to parry out to Cunnington who dispatched with ease. Final half hour was the usual game management, which would have made for a more interesting view if the visitors had pulled a goal back. However, despite some reasonable chances this did not materialise and the contest drifted to it's conclusion.

19.51 Velocity Trophy Mean Time start coupled with numerous stoppages meant a 21.47 conclusion meaning that the last pre-engineering works train could not be caught. Needless to say the rest of the journey was in no ways joined up and I like to think that the next two evenings where the intention is to be a long way away from South Essex, RM17 will be reached far earlier than what was the case here.....

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Feb 20, 2018, 8:58 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #2 of 5 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Monday 19th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League South
Grosvenor Vale
Wealdstone 1 Gloucester City 2
Admission: 13 Programme: Issued but not taken Attendance: 788

My second visit to the Vale in a week or so. Twitter confirmed at lunchtime that the game was on and the pitch looked good when I arrived despite light drizzle being the weather for most of the day.
Being a regular Step 5/6 guy, this was a rare foray into the heady heights of Step 2. The visitors were nestled below the Stones in the table and their struggles with their ground and the nomadic existence of their loyal fans is well documented. There was an expressive and noisy number of those fans here tonight.
They would have been mightily impressed with what they saw from their team over the 90 minutes. Gloucester looked faster, fitter and played the better football apart from the first ten minutes. The Stones enjoyed their best period then and should have taken the lead with two close attempts. Each failed and slowly the visitors assumed control. The visitors took the lead on 36 with a well-worked channel ball which the forward controlled, brought inside and beat the home keeper. More than deserved. HT 0-1.
A lot of collective moaning amongst the home faithful about their team's lack of effort and final product. It got worse after 60 when Gloucester extended its lead with a run into the area (where challenges were fluffed) and a finish low across the keeper. Moaning level increased to nuclear proportions. It abated a little on 75 when a melee after a corner produced a glorious smash into the top of the net for 1-2. It increased again when a free header from a corner went flashing past the post; an equaliser would have been a travesty for the visitors who thoroughly deserved their reward. General consensus at the bus stop afterwards was that the home side were second-best all over, that their season has ended and that they are going to get walloped by Billericay on Saturday. To me, they are team that lacks confidence; they were jaded last week in the Cup against Staines and apparently they ran their socks off against Dartford on Saturday with 10 men. They showed no nous tonight when Plan A wasn't on...hoof up to David Pratt and hope for the best. Not good enough.
Impressive night out and a 788 crowd on a damp London evening was (to me) impressive.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 100 Goals: 394 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 58

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Feb 20, 2018, 9:02 AM)

pokal02
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2018, 9:16 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #3 of 5 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Monday 19th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maine Road 0-3 Barnoldswick
NWCL Prem
Att h/c 53 Adm 5 Prog 1.50 Coffee 1

My luck this season held again with this one being on although Atherton Colls, Winsford and Daisy Hill were all called off fairly late (I didn't think it had rained much in the area since 10am unless the MetOffice site was wrong?) The pitch here was quite muddy, especially in top goalmouth.

Car park & clubhouse inc tea hut are outside the ground - inside there is one covered bench seated stand (3 rows) going down most of one side with a smaller covered terrace and the dugouts on the other side. Hardstanding elsewhere.

The visitors got a couple of very scrappy goals in trhe first 15 mins, After that there were good chances at both ends but Maine Road's luck was out. On 88 mins there was an amazing clearance off the line by a Barnoldswick defender and, with Maine Road committing numbers up front, Barnoldswick duly broke away and scored at the other end.

Decent journey home - only the M1 J19-18 closure to avoild - & indoors at 01:05.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2018, 9:45 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #4 of 5 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Monday 19th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maine Road 0-3 Barnoldswick
NWCL Prem
Att h/c 53 Adm 5 Prog 1.50 Coffee 1

My luck this season held again with this one being on although Atherton Colls, Winsford and Daisy Hill were all called off fairly late (I didn't think it had rained much in the area since 10am unless the MetOffice site was wrong?) The pitch here was quite muddy, especially in top goalmouth.

Can't speak for Winsford, but I live within a couple of miles of both Atherton Colls and Daisy Hill and the rain was pretty steady all morning. Colls had volunteers working on the pitch all day but weren't allowed to inspect any earlier than 4.30pm and it was confirmed postponed at 5 on the dot which I wouldn't say is a particularly late postponement. Bacup Boro tweeted yesterday about the damage caused to their pitch from playing on it and Saturday and Colls was a similar story after getting the game on against Mossley on Saturday.

pokal02
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2018, 11:44 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #5 of 5 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Monday 19th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, I guess it's a problem for Monday-nighters that the pitch hasn't got long to recover from Saturday if played on (Maine Road were away Sat).

I must stress that I'm not criticising Atherton - who were particularly helpful when I went there 2 weeks ago - at all, I just wondered whether the Bamber Bridge contingent might have already had to take time off work/start travelling with a 5:00 decision - but if Atherton weren't allowed to inspect earlier (seems an odd rule?) l guess there's nothing they could do.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3