First Team Star

Feb 16, 2018, 10:00 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #1 of 7 (1674 views)
Shortcut
Friday 16th February 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Garden Village 3-3 Risca United
Welsh Football League 2nd Division

An entertaining evening, especially during a lively first half. Both sides had early chances, but it was Risca who took the lead. That didn't last long as a penalty followed quickly by a defensive error saw the lead switch. The most crucial incident of the half saw the home keeper injure his back when challenging for the ball. He carried on for a while, but when a hopeful Risca effort evaded him without making any attempt at a save it was clear he couldn't carry on. Hopefully it's nothing serious. His replacement was beaten within a few minutes to give a 2-3 half time scoreline. Second half wasn't quite as entertaining, with the hosts having most possession, but struggling to create many decent chances. Risca had a few efforts on the break, but generally played more defensively. The hosts switched keepers again. With about ten minutes to play Garden Village were reduced to ten men following a tackle which had it been on a rugby pitch would have been congratulated. The equaliser came from a header deep into injury time, but still a time for a couple of near misses for Risca.

The ground has a large clubhouse by the entrance, with a smaller tea hut/club shop near the entrance to the pitch. Cover on both sides, standing by the dugouts and seating opposite. Three sided with no access to the far end.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Friday 16th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Toolstation Western League Division 1
Wincanton Town 0 Roman Glass St George 2
Admission: 4 (concession)
Programme: 1 (32pp, colour)
Teams: Not obtained
Refreshments: tea and doughnut 1.50
Attendance: 102 (h/c)

This game, with the agreement of Roman Glass St George, was brought forward from Saturday at short notice to allow Wincanton Town officials and supporters to attend the funeral of their late Club President, Tony Barker.

The crowd tonight was about 30-40 higher than normal and I think a few hoppers were in attendance, so Ill just give a brief resume the pitch was very wet, a morass in places especially along the goal-line at the entrance end, and cut up quite badly. Turning on the surface was a lottery, and the conditions certainly hindered play; I suspect wed have seen more goals on a drier and less bumpy pitch.

RGSG started at a fast pace, displaying both trickery and skill, and took the lead on 8m although that was through a defensive mistake as a cross that could have been wasnt cut out allowing an attacker free rein to volley in. Wincanton had more territorial possession in the second half but RGSG made the game effectively safe on 59m with a goal squeezed in from an acute angle.

Reasonable match, fair result, but a bit too cold out there tonight to be totally enjoyable ..

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Feb 16, 2018, 10:56 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #3 of 7 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Friday 16th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Toolstation Western League Division 1
Admission: 4 (concession)
Programme: 1 (32pp, colour)
Teams: Not obtained
Refreshments: tea and doughnut 1.50
Attendance: 102 (h/c)

This game, with the agreement of Roman Glass St George, was brought forward from Saturday at short notice to allow Wincanton Town officials and supporters to attend the funeral of their late Club President, Tony Barker.

The crowd tonight was about 30-40 higher than normal and I think a few hoppers were in attendance, so Ill just give a brief resume the pitch was very wet, a morass in places especially along the goal-line at the entrance end, and cut up quite badly. Turning on the surface was a lottery, and the conditions certainly hindered play; I suspect wed have seen more goals on a drier and less bumpy pitch.

RGSG started at a fast pace, displaying both trickery and skill, and took the lead on 8m although that was through a defensive mistake as a cross that could have been wasnt cut out allowing an attacker free rein to volley in. Wincanton had more territorial possession in the second half but RGSG made the game effectively safe on 59m with a goal squeezed in from an acute angle.

Reasonable match, fair result, but a bit too cold out there tonight to be totally enjoyable ..

Another at this. The home side did well to get the game on - I walked behind the far goal and it was sodden. RGSG are a powerful side and show that they can mix it in any conditions and are not just 3G experts.
Twitter showed there were a few hoppers attending (there were a lot of notebooks out) and I finally met Jaundiced Hack after many missed chances. Special mention as well for a great piece of 'keeping in the last couple of minutes by the away keeper to maintain the clean sheet as he pawed a goal-bound effort round the post having not had an awful lot to do all night.
The away side are playing chase with Keynsham and Westbury - let's see who slips up - they will be worthy of the step up if it happens.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 100 Goals: 394 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 58

BA21
Junior Team Star

Feb 16, 2018, 11:07 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town

Post #4 of 7 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Friday 16th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Western League first division
Admission 5.00
Programme 1.00
Attendance -

Another at this game that has been well documented already. Good to see the club profit from a large gate swelled by several travellers. The home club asked for this game to be played tonight following the death of their club president (I believe) whose funeral is tomorrow. Full credit to the visitors for showing the true spirit of this wonderful league in making this trip on a Friday evening to assist the home club in this difficult time.

On a very muddy pitch the visitors won fairly comfortably after a goal in each half. Safely home via the A303 in half an hour with frozen feet. Don't normally do souvenirs but deviated tonight purchasing a very nice Wincanton Town FC coaster made of slate with the club badge on it. Pleasant evening out at this well developed ground.

Grounds 645 International/Football League/Senior non-league
Football League 2018/19 86/92 - last 24/11/18 Macclesfield Town vs Yeovil Town, League Two, Moss Rose
Fixtures at 119 Football League grounds
Last new - 3/11/18 Draycott vs Tunley Athletic, Somerset County League division three
New 2018/19 Sway, Coach Road, Newton Abbot (Plymouth Argyle Reserves), University of Exeter, Uphill Castle, Hythe & Dibden, Camelford, Draycott
Next
Next new -

(This post was edited by BA21 on Feb 16, 2018, 11:17 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2018, 11:59 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #5 of 7 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BA21] Friday 16th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another at Wincanton along with Pilgrim 46, who I met for the first time, and Karldax, who I previously met at Sharpness just before he went out to Australia for the Ashes, while Ostrich and Digdagdog still elude me despite having been to the same matches a few timesUnsure. Scorers were #7, a good finish, and his second half replacement #12, was right behind the goal when the visiting keeper made that spectacular save near the end. When I last visited both ends were sealed off to spectators, now you can watch behind both goals despite the far end still not having any hard standing. As the temperatures dropped in the second half took refuge in the nice stand, which is similar to the one at nearby Gillingham Town. This win takes Roman Glass above Keynsham Town on goal difference into second place and a point behind leaders Westbury United, all having played 28 games. With only two promotion places it promises to be a thrilling finish to the season and the top 3 all meet each other in the space of a week next month:
17 Mar - Roman Glass St George v Keynsham Town
21 Mar - Westbury United v Roman Glass St George
24 Mar - Westbury United v Keynsham Town

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Feb 17, 2018, 12:00 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BA21] Friday 16th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Knighton Town 2 Aberaeron Town 0

Bryn-y-Castell: Spar Mid Wales League First Division

This was my first visit to the ground this year after witnessing the 2-1 victory over local rivals Radnor Valley in the Boxing Day derby encounter. Apparently, Aberaeron Town had requested a Friday evening fixture and therefore hence why this match was kicking-off at the later than usual time of 8pm, with the visitors having to make a long cross-country journey across to the Weslh Marches. There had been no changes to the ground at Bryn-y-Castell since my last visit just under two months ago and a healthy crowd was in attendance for this floodlit fixture. Knighton Town came into this evening's match in eighth place in the Spar Mid Wales League First Division table after seeing last week's trip to Welshpool Town postponed due to a funeral taking place in the town that morning. The Radnor Robins were in action on Sunday afternoon though and booked their place in the Aspidistra Radnorshire Cup final with a 3-0 victory at Second Division Newbridge. The Bryn-y-Castell outfit will now face either Builth Wells or Radnor Valley in the Easter Sunday final at a venue to be decided. Aberaeron Town were just one place behind their hosts in the table before kick-off and have the same number of points but from one additional match. The current Central Wales Challenge Cup holders won 4-0 at Kerry in their last outing just under a fortnight to consolidate themselves in the safety of mid-table security.

After Radnor Robins' striker Connor Bird saw his early shot go wide of the target, Knighton Town broke the deadlock in the ninth minute when Tom James headed home a cross from the left flank at the near post. Aberaeron Town played some good football in the opening stages, despite going behind, and the Seasiders saw a 25 yard free-kick strike the outside of Joe Prosser's goal frame in the 26th minute and go behind for a goal kick. The hosts doubled their lead six minutes later when Knighton Town forward headed home from a cross on the left too hand his team a handy advantage. The Ceredigion should have reduced the deficit 10 minutes before the interval but fired high over the crossbar from 12 yard out after the ball was pulled back from the byline. Radnor Robins' midfielder Danny Ives headed wide at the near post from a 50th minute corner before Aberaeron Town struck a 25 yard free-kick straight at Prosser just seven minutes later. Knighton Town midfielder Mark Jones saw his low 25 yard drive fly just wide of the target in the 65th minute before the visitors broke quickly from their own half three minutes later but eventually shot over the target from the edge of the penalty area. Aberaeron Town shot straight at Prosser from the edge of the host's penalty area in the 87th minute before the Radnor Robins' custodian made a good save from close range in stoppage time too maintain his clean sheet by the time that the final whistle sounded.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 550
Matches: 128.5
New Grounds: 14

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Feb 17, 2018, 12:16 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #7 of 7 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Friday 16th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
while Ostrich and Digdagdog still elude me despite having been to the same matches a few timesUnsure. was right behind the goal when the visiting keeper made that spectacular save near the end.

Then I was stood just to your left as I was creeping around for the exit when that save was made. PM me when your at a game - that's how me and JH arranged to meet.
I think RGSG are more than equipped to make the step up. Keynsham are good but flatter to deceive - I think they are too reliant on home form on the 3G. Westbury have at least 4 ex-Melksham players (the 2 Hulberts, Kovacs and Hiscocks) who were workmanlike but considered not Premier standard for this season...
I also may be the only one who didn't think it was THAT cold as claimed...try Imber Court in December...now that WAS cold...

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Feb 17, 2018, 12:17 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3