Weekend in Turkey 9-12 February 2018

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #1 of 7 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Weekend in Turkey 9-12 February 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Youngster and i flew out from Stansted to Istanbul Ataturk with Atlas Global dept 1335 arr 2030
A brief description of the weekend

Saturday morning up to Besiktas Stadium to purchase passolig cards and tickets, not a chance dont sell Passolig cards on the day try the cafe and get a code ( it was shut) back there again told to go to another stadium and purchase them which we did 36tl (7) then headed for

Fatih Karagumruk (1) 2 Sanliurspor (0) 0. (10tl) 2

Liked the ground and was like being in the 70's when rocks and bits of wood rained down on the away fans where we were stood and riot police with gear had to break it up and stand in pen between warring fans (nearest station Topkapi Utulbalti). Then onto Besiktas for their match v Karabukspor result 5 0. (Nearest station Taksim) then 15 minute walk

Turned up there was charged 195 tl (40) to watch this. It is a nice ground and was told it was unusual to get this many goals at this ground.

Then Sunday tram and bus to watch Istanbulspor who this season are playing at Necmi Kadioglu Stadium instead of their usual one. This was 11tl (2.20). The 1st half was rubbish but the homesters got 2 quick goals early 2nd half with top of the table Umraniyespor scoring in injury time (2-1)

Then taxi to metrobus and then bus and metro to get to metrokent for 20 min walk (we taxied it with a turkish fan) he was very helpful we got tickets for the match between Istanbul Basaksehir (0) 0 Fenerbache (1)2 50tl (10). Quite a good display from fen saw them close the gap on the leaders with this win on a bitterly cold night. Walked back to Metrokent and back to hotel with something to eat on way back

Decent but challenging weekend where there was no progs tickets or teamsheets which will no doubt upset a few on here

(This post was edited by Chelsea Spud on Feb 13, 2018, 11:04 PM)

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 13, 2018, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 7 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chelsea Spud] Weekend in Turkey 9-12 February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Fatih Karagumruk (1) 2 Sanliurspor (0) 0.

Liked the ground and was like being in the 70's when rocks and bits of wood rained down on the away fans where we were stood and riot police with gear had to break it up and stand in pen between warring fans (nearest station Topkapi Utulbalti) Then onto Besiktas for their match v Karabukspor result 5 0. (Nearest station Taksim) then 15 minute walk

Turned up there was charged 195 tl (40) to watch this. It is a nice ground and was told it was unusual to get this many goals at this ground.

Decent but challenging weekend where there was no progs tickets or teamsheets which will no doubt upset a few on here

I know there aren't tickets for games where a Passolig card has to be used but surely there must have been a ticket at Karagumruk? Also, I'm surprised you went in the away area when you could easily have gone in the main stand. Having been to 25 grounds in Turkey myself, I've never seen any crowd trouble on the scale that you mentioned, and given that the visitors were from a long way away it is all the more surprising. But thanks anyway for your interesting report.

(Edit; unless entry to the game at Karagumruk was free?)

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Feb 13, 2018, 7:53 PM)

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 9:54 PM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #3 of 7 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Weekend in Turkey 9-12 February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes there was a paper ticket at that game which they ripped in half and threw to the ground, im sure you will also realise dont take coins as they try and take them from you. They also tried to take my tiny camera but in the days of cameras on phones i find that strange. My Passolig card lasts until Dec 2024

(This post was edited by Chelsea Spud on Feb 13, 2018, 9:57 PM)

youngster
First Team Star

Feb 13, 2018, 10:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 7 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Weekend in Turkey 9-12 February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

(Edit; unless entry to the game at Karagumruk was free?)

Entry was 10 tl Karagumruk.
Like Spud I'd only ever seen a low level game when on holiday down South. I was impressed with the atmosphere at all the games, appears standing is the norm except in the VIP areas. Also impressed with the way the passolig card works, the days of the touts are surely over in Turkey, just wouldn't fancy being in a long queue for tickets anywhere, the whole process was very slow, but as most of the locals just download the tickets onto their cards then I don't suppose there ever is long queues.
But now I'm left with a card valid until 12/2024 and I very much doubt I'll be using it again, I enjoyed the whole weekend, but cant see me going back, any Country that makes you queue up for almost an hour to get out, isn't the sort of place I want to go back to.

Chris1963

Feb 14, 2018, 12:43 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 7 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chelsea Spud] Weekend in Turkey 9-12 February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I get the impression that both Youngster and yourself were a bit unlucky at Kamgararuk. I've never had anyone try to confiscate my camera (which I keep firmly tucked away in my coat - they probably assume it's a mobile phone) or my coins (which stay in my wallet) but they do occasionally tear up and throw away the ticket. This has happened to me twice but they don't mind if you pick up a discarded portion off the ground. Standing in all areas except the VIP area isn't common either.

Your Passolig card may say 2024 on it but you still have to pay a renewal fee every 12 months or you won't be able to keep on using it. It's just a scam by Erdogan (a distant relative of his family is on the firm that runs the scheme) and it's a pity the army didn't succeed in overthrowing him because frankly he deserves to be facing a firing squad. Because of the Passolig scheme I only attend games in the top two divisions if there is nothing in the 3rd or 4th tiers being played on a day I'm in the country.

dottirofhod

Feb 14, 2018, 1:48 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #6 of 7 (1495 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Your Passolig card / It's just a scam by Erdogan.
======================================================

Attendances are way down at some teams because locals are still against the scheme.

======================================================

From July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 = 33 / 30 / 3. (You know my rules) @17 /08 /2018.
Benelux. B = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-3-2 ) UPDATED. Ta Reg. Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 7 - 3 ).
Scotland. Senior. 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-(1 IHS - 2 BT & LT)-(NofS 0).
Junior.(0-0-0)- (0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
Some of my neighbours are prostitutes.

Noah's Dad
First Team Sub

Feb 14, 2018, 10:11 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex, Bury Town, Ipswich Town, Spanish football, Groundhopper

Post #7 of 7 (1206 views)
Shortcut

I went to Karagumruk at Vefa in 2007 and whilst the attendance was small, about 400, I remember the blokes on the gate trying to take my camera. Had that a few times in Turkey over the years but nothing too threatening other than the hoolies with balaclavas punching their way through the crowd leaving the old Ali Sami Yen. That was truly frightening. Love Turkish football and the stadiums, been to over 25 myself also and your trip sounds like a good one Spuddy.

2015/16 new grounds: 68 Matches: 83
Total grounds: 1,941

New website: https://www.facebook.com/beyondtheturnstiles/

Beyond the Turnstiles (A Photographic Journey into the Heart of 21st Century Football) - my book featuring essays from Stuart Fuller, Stuary Roy Clarke, Vince Taylor, Mike Latham, David Bauckham, Jurgen Vantomme, Pete Miles and Mike Amos will be out in 2016.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3