First Team Star

Feb 12, 2018, 11:07 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #1 of 6 (2050 views)
Shortcut
Monday 12th February 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Melksham Town 4-1 Longwell Green Sports
Western Premier

Comfortable win for the hosts, who opened up a 3-0 half-time lead. They added a fourth soon after the interval and whilst they created several other chances, they couldn't convert any more. Longwell pushed forward and had a few chances of their own, the Melksham keeper doing well to push one effort over the bar late on. A deserved consolation arrived right at the end. No changes to the ground since my last visit.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Feb 13, 2018, 12:35 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Monday 12th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

... I must have fallen into a deep sleep on the return journey as the dream was that the evening had spent at ...

Middle Earth United 5 v 5 Nihilon Rangers - Nowhere League Premier Division
Prog 200 pages w/a (full of interesting, relevant and witty content - no adverts) - Admission - It was Pay What You Want Evening - Att - No announced figure but it was pretty packed

...And the match kicked off at precisely 19.45 Middle Earth Time and it was the most exciting game ever seen, action at every turn, outstanding goals,a plethora of near misses and superlative array of saves from both keeper. Both teams were chivalrous at all times and there was not one indiscretion from either sets of players all evening. The match then concluded to universal applause from not just those watching but also from both sets of players appreciative of the generous support given from the terraces.

Outside, I was whisked home within minutes by a super efficient train system and the whole ethos of what had been a 'perfect evening' was the array of smiling faces on all in a society where personal and economic greed had been abolished and an ethos of peace, prosperity and plenty had been established and the endless frustrations of w**k had been replaced by a series of seamless automated processes where tasks were completed in seconds. You were still well renumerated for the few minutes spent at w**k but the rest of the day between going to matches was spent in the Orwellesque splendour of the Moon Under Water with an endless supply of perfect tasting ales.

Suddenly, though the dream was interrupted by an argument between a mother and son on the same train and I realised that the evening had instead been spent at....

Hitchin Town 0 v 0 Chesham United - Southern League Premier Division
Prog 44 pages 2.00 (doubled up with Saturday's contest with Farnborough) - Admission 10.00 - Att 281

....And as two texts received within minutes of the final whistle blowing to remind that the Noughts were now entering the building and a 126 game run since the start of the season plus approx 30 at the end of 16-17 without a nil nil had ended.

Really not much to say about what occurred between 19.50 (inevitably we had a late start) and 21.43, could not fault either teams commitment but where there was enthusiasm in both teams play once the final third was reached, it all fizzled out like flat mass produced cider. McNamara tested Isted in the Chesham goal on a couple of times in the first half and at the other end a good volley on the turn from the veteran form of Jefferson Louis went narrowly wide. However, the first half was largely featureless.

Self reassurance at half time, with the thoughts that the previous two contests were similarly featureless in nature but yielded a goal in the second half. However, as the second half evolved it was clear that a goal would be a lottery win of a bonus. Hopes were again momentarily raised when Isted had to go off injured to be replaced by Matt Hall who is a defender rather than a keeper. He was barely tested by a limp Hitchin attack which lacked confidence, though he did react quickly to instinctively push away a close range effort from Donnelly. However, from the resultant corner, Donnelly ghosted between two defenders and looked perfectly positioned to volley in the direction of goal, but as typified by this contest, all Donnelly could offer was a tame cushioned volley which was blocked by Hall.

One Twitterer also in attendance was probably correct in stating that the MOTM was the man on the PA, who let forth several witticisms. At the end he thought that he was being amusing by making reference to the evenings goal scorers, whilst I momentarily contemplated how difficult a surgical procedure it would be to remove a microphone from the left Nostril.

A chilly evening at the always aesthetically pleasurable Top Field, which for most of the day was not even contemplated but decided to go after Meteo Group forecast a washout for Wednesday. At least the journey back knitted together perfectly and the locks were turned at 23.39.

Would it be possible in a parallel universe for the actual time between the start of the real evening's contest and its cessation to be reclassified as a mere set of imagined images????....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Feb 13, 2018, 6:24 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Feb 13, 2018, 5:22 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #3 of 6 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Monday 12th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Melksham Town 4-1 Longwell Green Sports
Western Premier

Comfortable win for the hosts, who opened up a 3-0 half-time lead. They added a fourth soon after the interval and whilst they created several other chances, they couldn't convert any more. Longwell pushed forward and had a few chances of their own, the Melksham keeper doing well to push one effort over the bar late on. A deserved consolation arrived right at the end. No changes to the ground since my last visit.

Fair summary. I thought it was a good contest, LGS were there to try and play. Notables were a crowd of 349 on a chilly Monday night; the attendances are starting to even out around this mark for 'regular' football. That's an astounding increase on the Conigre where my records show we had 104 on a SATURDAY for the same fixture two years ago. Well done to the club and town.
Gary Higdon scored his 250th senior goal for the club in 334 outings; a fine record at any level. If he'd stayed on we would have scored more.
Get the points in the bag and let everyone else have to keep chasing.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 44 Goals: 155 GPG: 3.52 New Grounds: 24

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Feb 13, 2018, 8:48 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 7:36 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #4 of 6 (1809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Monday 12th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Timmy Tabby, Firstly commiserations on the goal less draw bringing an end to your fine run. However, your post is for me the post of the season. Brilliant, had me in fits, or for the younger viewers PMSL.
Great work, if only all matches could be like the first one you described.....

Edited due to Some seious typos, see youngsters response below.....!

(This post was edited by Bigaitch on Feb 13, 2018, 8:53 AM)

youngster
First Team Star

Feb 13, 2018, 8:27 AM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 6 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Monday 12th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Timmy Tabby, Firstly commiserations on the goal less draw bringing and end to your fine run. However, your post is for me The
pistnof the season. Brilliant, had me in fits, or for the younger viewers PMSL.
Great work, if only all matches could be like the first one you described......

Agree there Bigaitch, plenty of LOL's from me too. When I saw the result I assumed "the run" was over, but watching the level of football Timmy watches it's been an amazing (not to mention extremely lucky) run, here's to the next 100 games, and more importantly another 100 enjoyable reports on here.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 13, 2018, 9:19 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #6 of 6 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Monday 12th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stourbridge 1 Farsley Celtic 2 (Northern Premier League Premier Division) Att: 402

A cold night at the War Memorial, and a disappointing one for the home supporters. It was a stop and start game for much of the time, with modest quality from both sides for much of the time. Celtic took the leader courtesy of a dodgy keeper moment, but were level within a minute thanks to a fine turn and deflected shot from Benbow. The visitors went ahead again shortly after the break, and Benbow then had the chance to equalise from a needless penalty. He didn't. The appearance of Lait with 20 minutes to go enliven things, but the equaliser never really looked likely to happen. I thought McCone and Westlake were excellent for Stour, but that was about it. The play offs now look out of reach; I would like to see the likes of Hague and Cameron get a good run in the side before the end of the season. I thought Celtic were very effective and did a good defensive job once they had regained the lead. A decent hoppers corner this evening, including Big Phil, Smallman M and Veteran on his southern travels.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3