Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 11th February 2018


First Team Star

Feb 11, 2018, 6:10 PM

Posts: 1682

Post #1 of 9 (2952 views)
Sunday 11th February 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newbridge 0 Knighton Town 3

Penbont: Aspidistra Radnorshire Cup Semi-Final

There was some doubt that this match would take place today after the Spar Mid Wales League fixture list was virtually wiped out and the other semi-final tie was postponed yesterday morning. Fortunately, this match played at Penbont Farm went ahead following a 10am pitch inspection and the surface looked in pretty good condition on arrival at the ground, despite yesterday's home league fixture with Llansantffraid Village being a victim of the weather. The hosts came into this county cup semi-final in mid-table in the Spar Mid Wales League Second Division following a 1-1 home draw with Radnorshire rivals Presteigne St Andrews last weekend. Knighton Town were firm favourites to reach the Radnorshire Cup final on the basis that they player their football in the higher division of the Spar Mid Wales League. The Radnor Robins found themselves just inside the top-half of the First Division table and last weekend booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Central Wales Challenge Cup following a penalty shoot-out victory over Tywyn/Bryncrug last weekend and earn themselves a trip to Llanfair United. This was my first visit to Newbridge since their heavy league defeat at the hands of Aberystwyth University at the end of last October. The ground has not changed since then but the villagers have recently received funding from the Welsh Ground Improvements scheme to install new spectators toilets at Penbont.

The visitors had one of the first efforts on goal in the sixth minute when a young forward was played in on goal but could only strike the side netting from close range and 11 minutes later the same player latched on to a through ball but fired over the target. Knighton Town eventually broke the deadlock when midfielder Danny Ives forced the ball home from close range after the Newbridge defence failed to cope with a 28th minute corner swung into the near post. The hosts were playing some neat and tidy football but without being able to penetrate through the Radnor Robins. Newbridge enjoyed a flowing move across the pitch in the 35th minute but that ended with a shot over the crossbar from 15 yards out and Knighton Town leading 1-0 at the interval. Radnor Robins' midfielder Mark Jones saw his 25 yard drive saved two minutes after the interval before the hosts went down the other end of the pitch from a long goal and nearly scored but for the intervention of visiting player/manager Adam Worton. But it was the higher-graded away team that doubled their lead when Mark Jones converted a penalty kick awarded by referee Chris Corfield. Newbridge saw a speculative effort from nearly 30 yards out saved by stand-in goalkeeper Sam Williams on the hour mark before a home player went on a surging run eight minutes latter but shot straight at Williams from 20 yards. The Radnor Robins wrapped-up the tie in the 78th minute when Mark Jones ran on to a through ball and calmly finished passed the home custodian. Knighton Town nearly extended their lead two minutes later but striker Connor Bird placed his effort wide of the far post following a pass from Jones. Newbridge player/manager Adriano Girolami headed wide from a stoppage time corner but his team were unable to find the consolation goal that their player possibly deserved.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 544
Matches: 126.5
New Grounds: 14

First Team Sub

Feb 11, 2018, 8:21 PM

Posts: 1097
Location: Bute and Argyll/Fleetwood

Post #2 of 9 (2823 views)
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glasgow City Ladies 6-0 Stirling University....SWPL....Adm 5
Took the short run to Petershill's ground in Springburn for this afternoons 1410 kick off.The weather was 3 degrees but the cutting wind made it feel much colder.Peasy's ground has been relaid with G4 since I was here last and looks a bright green again.Good to see Glasgow back in the City after their exile in Airdrie.
Glasgow City played some decent football and scored on 6,15 and 21 minutes and it stayed that way till the 86th minute. Glasgow then scored again on 86,90+1 and 90+2 in a one sided game......the last goal a corker of a cross come shot from the left wing.By all accounts Glasgow have losrt a number of their players in the close season but looked in good shape on this,the opening day of the new season.
To be honest it was a relief to hear the final whistle and leg it to the car to get the heating on.Good run back till I got to Loch Lomond and then the snow arrived.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

Reserve Team Star

Feb 11, 2018, 10:13 PM

Posts: 831
Location: Newcastle/Salford/Wrexham
Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #3 of 9 (2705 views)
Re: [codofthenorth] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hardwick Social 2-1 Oyster (1-1 HT) at Bishopton Road (Stockton Town)
FA Sunday Cup Quarter Final
Admission: 2, Programme: 50p, Tea: 1
Attendance: 170 (rough h/c)

Fancied another match this weekend, and this tie between holders Hardwick from Stockton and Liverpudlian two time winners Oyster caught my eye even though it's a bit further than I'd normally travel for a Sunday Cup match as well as being a revisit to Stockton Town. The match turned out to be a close contest as I expected, with both sides seeming about as good as each other and the game potentially could've gone either way with Oyster kicking themselves over a couple of good chances being wasted, although credit has to go to the Hardwick keeper who was on good form. Hardwick took the lead around the 20 minute mark after a ball was left to bobble about in the box by the Oyster defence before being poked home. The Scousers equalised not long afterwards with a powerful shot from just outside the box which nestled in the bottom right corner. The hosts then retook the lead around the 70 minute mark with a good header from a cross, which, thanks to some resolute defending by Hardwick, was the winning goal and sent the holders through to the semi-finals.

No changes to Stockton's ground since last visit, tea bar was in operation throughout although they did run out of hot food at half time, a hot drink was needed with a bitterly cold wind blowing. Surprised to get a somewhat proper programme, an 8 pager with squad lists, home team history and player profiles, and a small editorial. Got the train there and back, everything went smoothly and I remembered the route 20ish minute walk to the ground which saved me from using up phone battery. Back at the flat just before 6.

Some of my (not great) photos can be seen here.

Grounds visited: 257
Last new ground: Earls Orchard (Richmond Town)
Next planned fixture: Dunston UTS v Guisborough Town - Northern League Division One - 26/3/19

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2018, 10:16 PM

Posts: 1620

Post #4 of 9 (2699 views)
Re: [codofthenorth] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....Welcome early tweet from the hosts at 08.40 saying that there was no need for an inspection and they were good to go at...

AFC Dunstable 0 v 1 Hartley Wintney - Southern League Division 1 East
Prog 24 pages 2.00 - Admission 8.00 - Att 142

....After all of the difficulties associated with the previous days trip, this was a much more sedate outing. However, being the latter part of winter still meant that it could still wreak it's vengeance. On this occasion rather than pouring rain we were near the end of each half 'treated' to a massive outpouring of hail from some very black clouds. The second occasion within minutes had coated the pitch in a hail/snow layer and the surrounds and the general consensus was that we were pleased that this had occurred so late in proceedings or we would have been facing an abd as the pitch cut up even more than it did in the first half. You have to pity the Creasey Park groundsman who will have a massive task during the forthcoming week reassembling the pitch.

A contest between two of the teams currently berthed in the Play Off zone but both perfectly capable in the final third of the season of threatening Rushden and Beaconsfield at the top of the table. Both teams well matched and for a large part defences were in the ascendancy. Despite this both teams created first half chances with an excellent early chance for the hosts as Christie teed up Hall with a clear view on goal, but the latter's posture was all wrong as he leant back and lifted the shot high over the bar.

The visitors in contrast seemed to overly rely for their chances from free kicks around the area which were all taken by Stow, the most noticeable in the first half was perfectly struck but subject to a flying push around the post from Head in the AFCD goal,

The first half nearly always kept the attention, but there were numerous occasions when neither team made much in the way of progress forward and on the occasions that progress was made forward the opportunities created were squandered, notably when Baxter headed neatly down for Webb for the visitors but Baxter scooped over from close range. In first half stoppage time it was the turn of AFCD to miss a good opportunity with Griffiths on the far post planting a free header into the side netting.

In recent weeks there is always a degree of optimism that after a inconclusive first half there will be a moment that will turn the contest in a particular direction. This view predominates only because the visit from the Noughts this season still has not happened. The optimism was receding quickly through a second half that was a replica of the first with defences largely predominating and neither set of forwards able to breach.

Whereas AFCD prodded to no great effect, Hartley Wintney relied even more on Stow's free kicks. On the hour and from a decent position he angled a poor effort wide and the concerns were becoming more and more to the fore. However, half way through the second half and from a similar distance, Stow floated over the wall a perfectly flighted free kick which found the net via the underside of the bar.

In the hail lashed finale, AFCD pushed forward but their only clear cut chance was when Cashman placed a free header over the bar. In the final minutes, Stow who had already been cautioned received a second yellow for the sort of dumb late challenge that players so often commit and then whinge when a red card is brandished as they fail to appreciate that two senseless fouls will very often lead to a dismissal. In the final minutes, the chagrin towards the referee was transferred to the hosts as Bircham bearing down on goal had his legs taken from under him, but to our surprise the referee failed to give a penalty. Overall not a contest that will live long in the memory apart from what turned out to be the winning goal.

First visit to Creasey Park for a couple of years. A functional venue with the blandest of bland AtCosts stand but proving it's purpose by keeping the worst of the gusts and the hail storm at bay and regulation small areas of cover to satisfy the ground graders. For the accompanying Hornetini Teech!! it was a trip to an unvisited ground though like all Watford supporters conscious of their nearest and dearest rivals there was a need to keep our transitory time in Luton as brief as possible. With Mr Druryszki also accompanying the town Costa's was located post match as was the Gary Cooper (JDW) for further imbibing of Quantock Ales 'Wills Neck', which has been one of the most flavoursome ales sampled this year.

Easy journeys there and back with progress enhanced between Dunstable and Luton on the guided bus track which means that travel is almost non-stop. Fast East Midlands Train back to St Pancras and indoors almost on 19.30......

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Feb 11, 2018, 10:54 PM)

First Team Regular

Feb 12, 2018, 6:29 AM

Posts: 1383
Location: Norwich
Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #5 of 9 (2397 views)
Re: [timmy tabby] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sprowston Ladies - 5 Long Stratton Ladies - 0
Norfolk Women's & Girls League Division One
Blue Boar Lane
Attendance - 20 (rough headcount)
No admission charged or programme issued.

No need to use the 3G card as expected today, after Saturday's glut of local postponements most games went ahead on Sunday and other factors meant staying as local as possible made most sense for me. Though this did mean a comfortable home win was likely with Long Stratton bottom of the table after 6 defeats and managing just 2 league goals up against second placed Sprowston.

After several near misses SL got off the mark on 25 minutes and then added another almost on the stroke of half time, LS had battled well but lacked any threat up front. Two goals in a minute just before the hour put SL well on top but LS never gave up trying to get something out of the game, the home side completed the scoring with 10 minutes to go.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

First Team Regular

Feb 12, 2018, 9:26 AM

Posts: 1294
Location: Melksham, Wiltshire
Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #6 of 9 (2292 views)
Re: [mxhornet] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chippenham & District Sunday League Division Two
Bowerhill Pavilion Pitch #3
The Foresters Arms 1 Box Rovers 6
F&N Attendance: Me plus subs

Council-owned pitches on the South side of Melksham (the MT Sunday side used to play here); never seen a game on Pitch #3 before though. Very heavy going for most of the game as it started cutting up early.
Box are a goods side but even they struggled to play on this. Foresters are a limited ability side and they were awful; Box running out easy winners in the end apart form two short periods either side of the whistle. Blessedly played in sunshine apart from a sharp hail storm, the away side scored 3 times in each half to maintain their lead at the top of the Division.
I thought there would be wholesale cancellation of fixtures in this League but most went ahead including a new record score on the 3G at Stanley Park as Pheasant demolished an 8-man Westbury 35-0.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 149 Goals: 550 GPG: 3.69 New Grounds: 84

Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 12, 2018, 2:29 PM

Posts: 11785

Post #7 of 9 (2057 views)
Re: [timmy tabby] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
AFC Dunstable 0 v 1 Hartley Wintney - Southern League Division 1 East
Prog 24 pages 2.00 - Admission 8.00 - Att 142

Overall not a contest that will live long in the memory apart from what turned out to be the winning goal.

The lad and I were also at this one. Well done for managing to write such a long report TT. If I'd have written it the result would probably have amounted to the line I've quoted above! To be fair to both teams though that pitch was awful.


Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 12, 2018, 10:55 PM

Posts: 6183
Location: Reading
Team(s): Reading

Post #8 of 9 (1717 views)
Re: [UKPunk] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
AFC Dunstable 0 v 1 Hartley Wintney - Southern League Division 1 East
Prog 24 pages 2.00 - Admission 8.00 - Att 142

Overall not a contest that will live long in the memory apart from what turned out to be the winning goal.

..... If I'd have written it the result would probably have amounted to the line I've quoted above! To be fair to both teams though that pitch was awful.

+2 for this

Nothing much more - journey there and back more noteworthy.

Directions: M4/M25 badly messed up for a Sunday - Handy Cross jammed up too and as for Dunstable 'City of (Traffic) Lights' ... most of them at Red for long periods.

Big shunt just in front of us on the return journey - some young chav in a souped up small saloon tried to incorporate his car into the rear end of a trad old Land Rover. Car looked a write-off - Air Bags deployed etc - goodness knows how he'd attained that kind of velocity between lights.
Elderly Gent driving that looked decidedly bemused at the whole thing - his vehicle had lost a rear step - other than that no visible damage.

... to add to this mayhem the Ol Bill had then closed off the A5 about 100 yds further south whilst they investigated a robbery!

Facilities : big changes since my one previous visit some 25 years ago - now has the feel of a new build - parked in the overflow car park - turning just left before the ground off of Brewers Hill.

Small low seated stand almost 2/3 length of the side opposite the clubhouse which appears to be inew build and doubles as some kind of community cafe. did various hot food to order but the bar closest to the pitch got very crowded.

Match: settled by a thunderous free-kick by Stow on 66'. Visiting keeper Paul Strudley in usual faultless form, handled anything that the hosts managed to throw around and near his goal.

Back home about 16:30

Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 13, 2018, 12:12 AM

Posts: 4239
Location: The Premier League town of Bournemouth
Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #9 of 9 (1645 views)
Re: [royals26] Sunday 11th February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League (1200)
Huddersfield Town 4-1 AFC Bournemouth
Attendance 23,823 (1,200 Cherries fans)
Ticket 30 - Programme 3.50

Poor performance from Cherries which sees us still looking over our shoulders. Been to five away league games this season and we have lost them all so it must be me putting the mockers on them! Alex Pritchard wrongfooted Begovic to give the hosts an early lead which was soon cancelled out by a great move finished off by Junior Stanislas, the first away league goal I have seen Cherries score this season. Steve Mounie headed Huddersfield back in front from a free kick to give the hosts a half time lead and the same player scored his second midway through the second half and on a hat trick it was a surprise he didn't take the penalty to round the scoring off in injury time, instead it was Van La Parra who scored giving me the cue to leave early and make my way to Castleford for the rugby league which I enjoyed more than the football. Also took a look at the remains of the former Huddersfield rugby league ground in Fartown before the game, pitch still in use but none of the stands or terracing left unless they're hidden under the trees. As for John Smith's Stadium it was my first visit since a 3-1 defeat for Cherries in October 1994, its opening season when it was McAlpine Stadium. Back then only 3 stands were up and one of those wasn't yet open with seats still being installed. Now there are four banana shaped stands, two of them have two tiers while the stand on the side you don't see on TV is a single tier as is the away end. You can't walk around the single tier side as it's hemmed in by a hill densely populated with trees directly behind.


free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3