Earlestown FC

terrythomas
Junior Team Regular

Feb 11, 2018, 9:44 AM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #1 of 8 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Earlestown FC Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone have any records of Earlestown FC from after the 2nd World War to the mid 50's?

Looking for player appearances and results.

Thank you

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Regular

Feb 12, 2018, 3:30 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [terrythomas] Earlestown FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have some general information which may be of use in your research

A club called Earlstown FC presently plays in the Warrington and District League Division 2 together with Earlstown Athletic who play in Division 1

The Football Clubs History Database seems to show that the original club formed in the late 1890s playing in the Lancashire League reasonably successfully but resigned about 1911 mid season with fixtures being taken over by Heywood United. It does say that the club may have reformed later but no details. 1 appearance in the FA Cup.

Next time they reappear is in the Lancashire Combination after World War 2 in Both Divisions 1 or 2 until 1962/63. Reasonable Success and entering FA Cup each season until that date. At the end of that season they appear to have resigned but did compete in 1963/64 FA Cup losing 0-10 ( League not known) and I can trace no further records other than assume that they played in local amateur leagues until I accidentally came across them recently looking for my grandsons team in that leagues

FCHD gives season playing records and FA Cup results and League tables for the Lancashire League and Lancashire Combination can be found in a publication by Soccer Books Ltd - Non-League Football Tables 1889-2003

Somewhat giving my age away as a schoolboy I did see Earlstown play my team in 1960/61 and 1962/63 in the Lancashire Combination Division 1 ( we won both)

Hope this has been of some assistance

(This post was edited by Ashton49Pieman on Feb 12, 2018, 3:32 AM)

terrythomas
Junior Team Regular

Feb 12, 2018, 8:41 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashton49Pieman] Earlestown FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply in detail.

It's a pity their history is not more readily available but therein lies the fun of the chase!

Once again thank you and good luck.

Tony

pitch 63
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2018, 9:20 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1279 views)
Shortcut

A LITTLE MORE MEAT ON THE BONES, BUT PROBABLY NOT FULLY COMPREHENSIVE -

EARLESTOWN LANCS LGE 1889-90 LEFT MID SEASON
EARLESTOWN LIVERPOOL & DIST LGE 1892-93 TO 1893-94
EARLESTOWN LANCS ALLIANCE 1894-95 TO 1898-99
EARLESTOWN LANCS LGE 1899-00 TO 1902-03
EARLESTOWN LANCS COMB 1903-04 TO OCT 1911 FIXTURES TAKEN OVER BY HEYWOOD UNITED
EARLESTOWN ST HELENS & DIST COMB 1938-39
EARLESTOWN LIVERPOOL COMB 1945-46 TO 1949-50
EARLESTOWN LANCS COMBINATION 1949-50 TO 1962-63

EARLESTOWN BOHEMIANS LIVERPOOL COMB 1934-35 TO 1939-40

EARLESTOWN GROSVENOR LEIGH & DIST LGE 1942-43

EARLESTOWN ROVERS LIVERPOOL COM 1912-13 TO 1914-15

EARLESTOWN ST JOHN LIVERPOOL COMB 1909-10 TO 1911-12 BECAME EARLESTOWN ROVERS 1912-13

EARLESTOWN WHITE STAR LIVERPOOL COMB 1934-35 TO 1939-40

EARLESTOWN Y M C A LANCS ALLIANCE 1909-10

(This post was edited by pitch 63 on Feb 12, 2018, 9:21 AM)

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 12, 2018, 11:18 AM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #5 of 8 (1254 views)
Shortcut

It's of no relevance to your original question but I have a scanned copy (not sure if I still have the original) of a programme in the Federation of Football Supporters Clubs National Cup 1st Round. Manchester United Supporters (London Branch) vs Earlstown United Supporters (Liverpool) played on 26th January 1964 at Ware FC. Let me know if you're interested as you can certainly have a copy of the scan and I might be able to dig out the original.

Was "United" a correct suffix?

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2018, 4:02 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #6 of 8 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Earlestown FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This was an article I wrote recently, I also struggled to find much about them but it may be of some use (Please correct anything you may find that is wrong) -

209) Earlestown
Earlestown in Lancashire is a district of Newton-Le-Willows, both grew up as Railway Towns with the former building wagons and the latter, through it’s Vulcan Foundry, making locomotives. Both names were to be found in football records but it was Earlestown who left their mark in the early years for three reasons, in 1888 they were defeated by Everton in the Liverpool Cup Final, the ‘Toffees’ first final victory, a year later Town defeated the same opposition in the same cup final and they also played Everton in the first ever match at Anfield!
Town as they were known, had several periods in the Lancashire Combination over the years, in both Divisions One and Two. They seldom troubled the trophy presenters but in the late 1950s had big ambitions culminating in the signing of former England International Wilf Mannion as Player-Manager the which made national sporting headlines! Unfortunately financial problems reared their ugly heads despite attendances topping two thousand at times and in October 1962 the club was declared bankrupt.
The fact that Town never entered the F.A. Amateur Cup proves that they were mostly a semi-professional outfit although a club named Earlestown Bohemians played eight ties between the years of 1935 and 1938.
The home of Earlestown was Vista Park a quite well appointed ground which was later used from 1971 by Newton F.C. It boasted a somewhat bizarre covered enclosure behind one goal in which fans could climb up to a second level which was just a wooden floor, presumably there was a rail to stop them falling over the edge!
The programme shown is extremely rare and is for a Lancashire Combination Division Two fixture on March 16th. The year is not shown but it would be in one of the three seasons between 1955 and 1958 during which visitors St Anne’s Athletic were members. It is a single sheet folded in half but there is quite a lot of information including Supporters Club notes and Dressing Room Talk.

The manager at the time of the programme was Ken Mimmack. the date of the game against St Anne's Athletic was March 16th and on March 30th Wigan Athletic were to be the visitors. Earlestown had just defeated Nelson and had then been the first to win at Lytham that season. Eric Bond was Earlestone's leading goalscorer and the club had just scored their 61st goal of the season which was one more than they had scored all the previous season so that may be a big clue. Playing in Tangerine shirts and White 'knickers' the team was R.Buckley, King, Owen, McKiernan, Jaundhill, J.Buckley, Abbott, Bond, Aspinall, Phillips, Gibson.
Tommy Owen, former captain, had returned to the team to help out but Roger Hawkins was out with 'his old injury'. Johnny Buckley and Jimmy McKiernan were ever-present at that stage of the season.

Hope all this is of some interest, if you work out the season could you let me know please.

(This post was edited by GRIFFON on Feb 12, 2018, 4:04 PM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 13, 2018, 1:43 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 8 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Earlestown FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember watching Darwen playing at Earlestown when Wilf Mannion was with them.

They had a weird covered enclosure behind one goal. If you climbed steps or perhaps just a ladder you got to a higher level. I don’t think there was anything to stop you falling off the edge.

In the days pre-H&S.

EDIT

Should have read the post above!

(This post was edited by PaulC on Feb 13, 2018, 2:09 PM)

terrythomas
Junior Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 3:47 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Earlestown FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you everyone for your help, the stand behind the goal sounds fantastic! (if unsafe)

I will report back with anything I find.

Thanks once again

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3