the fibal 4

Historical
Youth Team Sub

Feb 10, 2018, 10:47 PM

Team(s): Northwich Victoria

Post #1 of 8 (1264 views)
Shortcut
the fibal 4 Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thank you in advance for helping me find the dates of the following $ matches played in 1978 / 1979 Season

Northern Premier Bangor City 3 0 South Liverpool 1978
Northern Premier Netherfield 0 0 Lancaster City 1978
Northern Premier Netherfield 3 1 South Liverpool 1978
Northern Premier South Liverpool 0 2 Lancaster City

(This post was edited by Historical on Feb 10, 2018, 10:50 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 11, 2018, 1:57 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 8 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Historical] the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the programme for the South v Morecambe game on Feb 24, 1979, the home game against Lancaster was scheduled to be played on Saturday March 24. I don't know if it was.

It also shows the away game v Netherfield that season as scheduled to be played on Monday April 30, 1979, and again I don't know if it was. But it raises a question mark over the 3-1 game you've noted as being in 1978 of the 78/9 season.

The prog doesn't give results for the season so I have nothing about the Bangor away game,

Villager
Youth Team Sub

Feb 11, 2018, 6:23 PM

Team(s): North Ferriby, Bridlington, Hall Road Rangers

Post #3 of 8 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Historical] the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Netherfield v Lancaster on 27 March

Bangor v Sth Liv 21 Mar

Neth v Sth Liv 30 April, same comment

Sth Liv v Lancaster 24 March

All of the above are unconfirmed with just one source. I usually try to find at least two.

Given the reply from Paulh, they could well be correct.

paulh66

Feb 11, 2018, 9:01 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 8 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Villager] the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Bangor game didn't appear in the list of fixtures in the Morecambe programme I referred to in my previous post. Then again, it might have been an outstanding rearrangement. According to the table in the programme, South had played 22 games up to Feb 24, the Morecambe game itself makes 23 and there were 20 more games scheduled in the fixture list. It was a 44 game season so there'd have been one more fixture to arrange, and the w/c March 19 was blank at the time of the prog.

Thinking about it, the current South Liverpool officials were obsessive about the club even in the late 70s! I know they keep records of things like this so I'd be amazed if they couldn't confirm the dates for you. Drop them an email through the club website https://www.southliverpoolfc.com

Bad winter that season. As at Feb 24, the prog reported that only ten games had been played in the entire league since the turn of the year! We also had a young John Aldridge in the line up that day, and the Supporters Club was promoting its "annual and highly successful 'Miss South Liverpool Personality and Beauty Competition'"!! Different times...

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Feb 11, 2018, 9:06 PM)

Villager
Youth Team Sub

Feb 12, 2018, 12:59 PM

Team(s): North Ferriby, Bridlington, Hall Road Rangers

Post #5 of 8 (965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many thanks, Paul, for the contact address for Sth Liverpool. Hopefully somebody there can help. I'm on an impossible activity but it keeps the brain active. I'm trying to create as full a record of the NPL as I can, Results, dates, scorers, attendances. As I say an impossible job as there is limited info for some clubs from the earlier years.

Historical
Youth Team Sub

Feb 12, 2018, 4:01 PM

Post #6 of 8 (919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you very much for your reply
More then helpful
Thank you

Historical
Youth Team Sub

Feb 12, 2018, 7:17 PM

Post #7 of 8 (885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Villager] the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have sent you an email

paulh66

Feb 12, 2018, 10:35 PM

Post #8 of 8 (835 views)
Shortcut
the fibal 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're welcome, chaps.

Incidentally, I have the full set of results and dates for the entire NPL for a few seasons in the mid-1980s if you're missing any results/dates from that period. Before that, I have a few South Liverpool programmes going back to mid-1970s which might also have one or two useful snippets in them.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Feb 12, 2018, 10:37 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3