League Representative sides - what if?

southend statto
First Team Star

Feb 9, 2018, 7:51 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #1 of 7 (2383 views)
Shortcut
League Representative sides - what if? Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the news that the Mayo League (a three divisions league in the Irish Republic) have been allowed to field a side in the League of Ireland Cup (along with three non-League sides), what if non-League representative sides were allowed to compete in, for example, the Football League Trophy?

I'd welcome it.

In the First Round, the Mayo League has been drawn away at Finn Harps.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 9, 2018, 7:55 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 7 (2379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] League Representative sides - what if? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
With the news that the Mayo League (a three divisions league in the Irish Republic) have been allowed to field a side in the League of Ireland Cup (along with three non-League sides), what if non-League representative sides were allowed to compete in, for example, the Football League Trophy?

I'd welcome it.

It's already happened for six seasons between 2000 and 2006. I don't recall it being a roaring success...

not repesentative sides I should add, but conference outfits who were not really that bothered if I recall correctly...

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Feb 9, 2018, 7:57 PM)

southend statto
First Team Star

Feb 9, 2018, 8:01 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #3 of 7 (2374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] League Representative sides - what if? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

no, Conference sides who ended up playing a squad XI - which I found disrespectful considering.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 9, 2018, 8:13 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 7 (2367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] League Representative sides - what if? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a fan of a National League team I'd have little interest in playing the EFL Trophy, even less interest in a representative side doing likewise. And I wouldn't our better players being taken away from us to play for a representative team in such a low key tournament.

Representative football across the board rarely seems to capture the imagination but one idea might be to allow the step 7 (or county FA) representative sides, who I think already play for an inter-league/county KO cup, to play in the Vase instead. Though I suspect the status quo is fine as it is.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 9, 2018, 10:32 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 7 (2323 views)
Shortcut

Mayo League XI have been in on 8 previous occasions and will be the third time they've met Finn Harps.

PS. Not helped them much , 1 draw and 8 losses.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 278 /236 / 42 (You know my rules) @ 24 / 06 / 2019.
0-0's are standing at 19. Good run (19) until tonight 22 / 06.
Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-0-0-0-0). Lux = 0-0. Neth-= 0-0-0-(0 - 0).
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Feb 9, 2018, 10:37 PM)

cope1

Feb 16, 2018, 2:52 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] League Representative sides - what if? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think there's any suggestion that the National League would enter a rep XI, rather that leagues at Step 7 would do so in the Vase or Trophy.

As an AFA person I'd love to see a way back into the FA Vase, be it for representative teams or individual club sides. Difficult to get the FA to take any notice, though.

dottirofhod

Mar 14, 2018, 3:05 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] League Representative sides - what if? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Mayo League XI have been in on 8 previous occasions and will be the third time they've met Finn Harps.

PS. Not helped them much , 1 draw and 8 losses.
==================================================

Make that 1 draw and 9 losses although they nearly pulled it back. 4-0 down on the hour and pulled it back to 4-3.

=================================================

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 278 /236 / 42 (You know my rules) @ 24 / 06 / 2019.
0-0's are standing at 19. Good run (19) until tonight 22 / 06.
Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-0-0-0-0). Lux = 0-0. Neth-= 0-0-0-(0 - 0).
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3