Wallspan Southern Combination

mccains
Junior Team Regular

Feb 3, 2018, 9:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 9 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Wallspan Southern Combination Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone tell me anything about the Wallspan Southern Combination? I know it was going in the early 80's.

I am after a League Table for season 1980-81.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

MiddxSaint
Youth Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 2:55 PM

Team(s): St Albans City

Post #2 of 9 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccains] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sponsored by a bedroom furniture maker/retailer from Luton, this league was played in the Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire region, mainly by reserve teams.

MiddxSaint
Youth Team Regular

Feb 13, 2018, 4:29 PM

Team(s): St Albans City

Post #3 of 9 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MiddxSaint] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When St Albans City joined this league in the 1981/82 season, member clubs were:-
Ashcroft Co-op, Barton Rovers, Berkhamsted Town, Bedford Town, Dunstable, Hitchin Town, Letchworth, Milton Keynes City, Oxford City, St Albans City, Stevenage Borough, Witney Town.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 14, 2018, 7:27 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #4 of 9 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccains] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although it did stretch as far as east Herts it overlapped with the Essex and Herts Border Combination, the latter eventually winning the battle for clubs leading to the Southern Comb's demise.
The SC also ran a floodlit knockout cup for the first teams of its members

pitch 63
First Team Star

Feb 14, 2018, 4:36 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1067 views)
Shortcut

I was under the impression the Southern Combination was known as the Southern Counties Combination prior to 1983-84 season.

mccains
Junior Team Regular

Feb 14, 2018, 6:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 9 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MiddxSaint] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you for the information.

I am trying to obtain a Final League Table for 1980-81, can anyone let me know where I can find this?

Ropemaker

Feb 14, 2018, 6:50 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #7 of 9 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hailsham played in a competition of the same name, Southern Counties Combination, involving mainly Sussex sides in the mid 1970s.

Which I presume is a different competition.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

marthabbin
Ballboy/girl

Feb 14, 2018, 7:16 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although I have part / incomplete tables for 1979/80 and 1980/81, I have been searching for the final tables for some time and even after a lot of research they have eluded me. I think they can currently be called 'lost' but the search continues.

martin

ladderman

Feb 16, 2018, 4:30 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #9 of 9 (831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Wallspan Southern Combination [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Although it did NOT stretch as far as east Herts it overlapped with the Essex and Herts Border Combination, the latter eventually winning the battle for clubs leading to the Southern Comb's demise.
The SC also ran a floodlit knockout cup for the first teams of its members

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3