Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years

London Harrier
First Team Star

Feb 2, 2018, 9:00 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone help with source information to confirm the following:

Stourbridge FC list their formation date as 1876. "The Glassboys were founded in 1876 and were originally known as Stourbridge Standard.” General consensus is the club changed name to Stourbridge circa 1888.

My Questions Are

1. Were the Stourbridge Standard of 1876 a Rugby club or an Association Football club? Or both? (They had a cricket arm too)

2. Is there supporting documentation to show Standard were linked to the present day Stourbridge FC?

(A Stourbridge FC handbook from 1976 contains a piece written by Jack Haden of the County Express (forerunner to today’s Stourbridge News). It starts..

Stourbridge Standard FC became Stourbridge FC in 1888 and in the 1888/89 season the club began to play regularly on the cricket ground at Amblecote. Football had not been allowed there from the beginning of the 1887/88 season as a racetrack had just been laid and the Cricket club, which held the ground on lease, wanted to give it a chance to settle.)

3. As a general observation, if a club switches code, is it seen as a “new” club or a continuation of the club that played the old code.

Notes

The earliest Stourbridge Standard reference I can find in the BNA is a game between Wordsley Excelsior and Stourbridge Standard on Saturday 8th December 1877. Wordsley win by “1 goal, 8 tries and 4 touchdowns”. The Stourbridge team is listed as:

1. Jones (captian)
2. Noakes (Quarter Back)
3. Webb (Half Back
4. Barton (Half Back)
5. Corbett (Goal)
6. White (Forward)
7. Chadwich (Forward)
8. Perry (Forward)
9. Tooby (Forward)
10. Drew (Forward)
11. Bennett (Forward)
12. Bryce (Forward)
13. Perks (Forward)
14. Green (Forward)
15. Pope(Forward)

This, for all intents, looks like a Rugby match

November 1878, under “football fixtures” we have

Colman Hill v Stourbridge Association
Brierley Hill v Stourbridge Standard
Dudley v Bewdley
Dudley Victoria v Woodsetton Juniors

The first mention I can see of Stourbridge Standard as an Association Football Club is in 1881. They are listed as competitor in the Birmingham & District Football Association Charity Cup.

It doesn’t help that as late as 1889, Stourbridge Ruby club are still listed under the generic “football” results list, along with Stourbridge Football Club.

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Feb 2, 2018, 9:07 AM)

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 2, 2018, 9:45 AM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 9 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This seems like a strange mixture of Rugby, Football and American Football.
Anyone know the difference between a try and a touchdown?

bluedragon
Junior Team Regular

Feb 2, 2018, 11:51 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

1. Were the Stourbridge Standard of 1876 a Rugby club or an Association Football club? Or both? (They had a cricket arm too)

The first truly national Laws of the Game were adopted in 1877 and came into force at the beginning of the 1877/78 season. Around the same time County FAs were being formed to administer the game at local level.

Before this clubs played under some strange arrangements simply in pursuit of finding opponents and getting a game. Some matches were played under Association rules in the first half and Rugby in the second half. Other matches were called medley games where the clubs need to agree the rules before the match because of different local rules adopted by the clubs. For example, if you played at Wednesbury under their rules touches behind the goal were allowed for which the attackers got a free kick from a corner. The match on 8 December 1877 sounds like one of these matches.

It might be worth looking at when Stourbridge joined the Birmingham FA (founded in 1875). In its early years the Worcestershire FA (founded in 1893) operated under the auspices of the Birmingham FA. When Stourbridge joined their County FA may indicate when they fully adopted Association rules and can be said to be an Association club although the clearly existed as a club before that.

(This post was edited by bluedragon on Feb 2, 2018, 12:37 PM)

London Harrier
First Team Star

Feb 2, 2018, 12:42 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluedragon] Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Blue Dragon / Jrev61 – both very good points.

I did wonder if this club were playing some strange hybrid game. I know nothing about Rugby, but was struck by the ‘goal’ position, which suggests something more akin to football (soccer).

Dereham Harrier
Junior Team Regular

Feb 2, 2018, 4:32 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers, Dereham Town

Post #5 of 9 (1004 views)
Shortcut

I can't answer the specific questions, sorry.

There was clearly a big overlap for clubs fielding sides for football, running, cricket etc at the same time. If it helps, Kidderminster Harriers started as a running club in 1877, then turned to rugby and progressed to football in 1886/87. In the Centenary History of Kiddy Harriers (by Colin Youngjohns) there is mention of a new football trophy in 1886/87 donated by the Carpet Weavers Association. This was an invitation competition with the rules drawn up on 25 Jan 1887 and featuring Kiddy Harriers, Stourport Swifts, Wribbenhall Victoria and Stourport Standard. Harriers beat Standard 2-1 before beating Swifts 4-0 in the final on 2 April 1887 at Chester Road, Kidderminster before 2,700 spectators. If nothing else, this shows Standard were playing competitive football before April 1887.

jrev61

Feb 2, 2018, 5:17 PM

Team(s): None

Post #6 of 9 (997 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Blue Dragon / Jrev61 – both very good points.

I did wonder if this club were playing some strange hybrid game. I know nothing about Rugby, but was struck by the ‘goal’ position, which suggests something more akin to football (soccer).

'Goal' may be the player that took the kicks at goal in a rugby type game. Just a guess.

Dereham Harrier
Junior Team Regular

Feb 2, 2018, 6:14 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers, Dereham Town

Post #7 of 9 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A "goal" in rugby is a try which has been successfully converted - the term was in common use up to the 1960s, although it is little used now.

PaulC

Feb 2, 2018, 7:55 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 9 (951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluedragon] Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stourbridge Standard joined the Birmingham FA in September 1881.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2018, 9:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Stourbridge Standard / Stourbridge FC – Query about formation date and Early years [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Stourbridge Standard joined the Birmingham FA in September 1881.

Thanks. That ties in with some of the dates above.

I've done a lot more digging on the 1888 rename and may have an answer. I've sent my thoughts to a local historian for his view. I'll share once he feeds back.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3