Who's Online WHO'S

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Wednesday 31st January 2018

First Team Regular

Jan 31, 2018, 11:01 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2937 views)
Wednesday 31st January 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hereford Lads Club 4 Bewdley Town 2

The County Ground: West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division Cup Second Round

This fixture was originally due to be played just before Christmas, the night as I watched Wellington go down at home to Cradley Town in the same competition, but was postponed due to the pitch being deemed unfit that evening. Fortunately, that meant I was now able to take in the re-arranged fixture this evening, although there was Bromyard Town v Cheltenham Town in the Midland Floodlit Youth League in reserve if this cup tie failed a pitch inspection. The County Ground had unsurprisingly not changed since my previous visit here at the beginning of December to enjoy a dramatic finale to the league derby encounter with county rivals Wellington. The hosts found themselves ensconced in mid-table in the Premier Division table, following their promotion as First Division champions last summer, and came into this evening's cup tie having seen visiting Cradley Town peg them back to a 2-2 draw a week last Saturday. The hosts match at home to Ellesmere Rangers in the league last weekend was postponed to a waterlogged pitch in places. Bewdley Town are riding much higher in the table than their opponents, finding themselves in fifth place after the weekend action, and they enjoyed a 3-0 victory away at Stone Old Alleynians in their last outing over a fortnight ago to keep in touch with the leading protagonists in the Premier Division.

The home team made a good start and had a couple of efforts blocked on target in the 11th minute before blazing the loose ball over the crossbar before taking the lead 14 minutes later with a shot from the edge of the penalty area that was dinked over the Bewdley Town custodian. The visitors struck the crossbar in the 34th minute with a penalty from the edge of the host's penalty area and the ball was cleared for a corner. Lads Club then broke upfield a minute later and saw a deflected 20 yard effort turned behind for a corner. The home team started the second period on the front foot and forced the visiting goalkeeper to make a smart save in the opening minute of the half. Bewdley Town deflected a free-kick on the right towards goal and forced the home custodian into a save three minutes later before the visitors equalised when a 55th minute free-kick was headed down at the fr post and swept in from close range. Lads Club broke down the left from the restart but the visiting goalkeeper saved the subsequent shot before the Hereford outfit regained the lead three minutes later from a quickly-taken free-kick that caught out the Bewdley Town custodian from at least 35 yards out. The visitors forced the home goalkeeper to parry a low shot and put the loose ball wide from a tight angle in the 69th minute before leveling the scores six minutes later when a cross from the right touchline picked out an unmarked forward. The Worcesterhsire men then saw a shot saved from a cross to the far post two minutes later before hitting the side netting from the rebound. Lads Club saw a shot across turned behind for an 80th minute corner before they regained the lead five minutes later directly from a 20 yard free-kick some five minutes later. The home custodian was forced to acrobatically turn a shot over the crossbar from an 89th minute free-kick before Lads Club doubled their lead in stoppage time after breaking quickly from a Bewdley Town corner and scoring from a swift counter attack.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 528
Matches: 121.5
New Grounds: 14

Dr Love
First Team Star

Jan 31, 2018, 11:10 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #2 of 12 (2923 views)
Re: [barcud-coch] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kidlington 1-1 Winchester City
Southern League 1st Division West

A poor contest which never really got going. Neither side at their best. Kidlington took the lead just before half time. They were awarded a penalty which was saved by the keeper, but he couldn't hold on and he was beaten second time around. The equaliser came in second half injury time from a corner and ended up stuck between the stanchion and the net at the top of the goal.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Jan 31, 2018, 11:43 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2888 views)
Re: [barcud-coch] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

... Thought the following would be a lot closer than the outcome, especially taking into account the visitors recent dip in form with 4 points out of the last 12 and a mere one goal. Alas the thoughts completely wrong as....

Romford 0 v 6 AFC Hornchurch - Isthmian League Division 1 North
Prog 32 pages £2.00 - Admission £8.00 - Att 147 (low for this fixture which normally attracts 200+, however it was a more than chilly evening)

Duly noted that for the third evening this week, players out of the dressing rooms at 19.45 and clear that Isthmian Mean Time and its Essex Senior League equivalent have not been consigned to the depths of history.

Possibly one of the most one sided contests seen this season as the hosts rarely if troubled the visiting defence and Mott in the Hornchurch goal need not have been present in the first half and just a few routine saves apart from an acrobatic palm over the bar in the final minutes to deny Hornsley a Romford consolation, which on from what was the shot of the evening curling just underneath the bar,

The visitors were were devastating especially in the first period and this was the first time this season that I have seen them that they have truly played like a team at the top of the division. They were also helped by some mistake ridden defending, The visitors were under way early on when Warner's low cross found Fairweather-Johnson in far too much space and he converted with ease. The second emanated from a poor clearance from May in the Romford goal and then Hornchurch lost possession, the home defence was unable to clear. Fairweather-Johnson sensibly laid a pass out to Porter and his low cross from the left was perfect for Warner to side foot in from close range.

It was not long before two became three with Warner's free kick being met by a header from Styles, straight at May but he was only able to parry into the path of Fairweather-Johnson who dispatched the rebound with ease. In first half stoppage time a long punt forward found Fairweather-Johnson racing clear of a static defence and although May half blocked the shot, it had more than enough power to see it over the line.

With a four goal half time advantage, it was perhaps not surprising that Hornchurch adopted containment as their second half option and for long periods the contest clearly resembled the second half seen the previous evening at ParkFIELD Potters Bar. A couple of timely substitutions did wake Hornchurch up from their second half dozings. Once again the home defence was in generous mood as Olukoga's attempted pass back in the direction of his keeper was woefully short, letting in Assombolanga who sensibly passed inside for McKenzie to finis with ease. There was an element of error in Hornchuch's final goal with a huge long kick from Mott forward which should have been a comfortable gather for May but the Romford keeper was too slow off his line allowing Assombolanga to intercept with his first touch pulling May out of the equation and the second touch was the shot into the gaping net in front of him to conclude what was a very comfortable win.

Good view of the end of January supermoon on the return journey and would have admired the prodigious celestial body for longer if the Bergen scything wind was not numbing the toes. Has taken the best part of an hour for the feeling of the feet to return to some semblance of normality after a warming association with a radiator and a steaming pile of mushy peas.....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Feb 1, 2018, 12:12 AM)

Reserve Team Star

Feb 1, 2018, 7:50 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #4 of 12 (2625 views)
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Toolstation Western League Division One
Oaklands Park
Roman Glass St George 3 Sherborne Town 0
Admission: £5 Programme: Issued but not taken Attendance: 58

First visit to the Gloucester FA's HQ pitch which is a 3G job. A biting SW wind all night but there are plenty of places to shelter from when its from that direction; good seated stand and two Atcost terraced stands along with a high block wall.
Glass are 3rd and Sherborne are 2nd bottom; the latter having had a wretched season (as they did for their last two in the Premier before relegation last season). They appear to be a club in free-fall and heading for the Dorset Premier if they are not careful.
They were out-classed tonight. Glass were organised and much more skillful on the ball than their opponents; once again they were far less wasteful when they had the ball and used it much better. The home side scored goals on 26, 37 and 50 without (I suspect) getting out of 2nd gear...
The away side did manage a couple of attacks but mostly they dealt out aimless long balls straight to Glass defenders/midfielders and then had to defend again. On the credit side there were possibly at least 10 away fans there tonight - that is some trip up from Dorset on a cold Wednesday night. Home in 40 minutes to thaw out.

2016-17 Games: 109 Goals: 446 GPG: 4.09 New Grounds: 74
2017-18 Games: 137 Goals: 606 GPG: 4.42 New Grounds: 96

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Feb 1, 2018, 9:18 AM)

Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 1, 2018, 8:30 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #5 of 12 (2574 views)
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL Premiership
Hibernian v Motherwell, 2-1, H.T. 1-0, Att 15523 (387 Away), Admission £22, Programme on sale £3, Didnít use catering
At Easter Road

This was a bit like watching Hibs from a couple of years ago Ė well on top for an hour, then making life difficult for themselves by conceding a poor goal and hanging on for the points at the end.

Still, it made for good entertainment on a chilly night in the Capital. Hibs led 1-0 at the break with an excellent 18 yard finish by their new signing from Switzerland, Florian Kamberi. I was impressed with his performance and hopefully he can maintain this level.

The second goal came from Brandon Barker, his first since joining the club on loan from Manchester City at the start of the season. Barker has incredible pace and good spatial awareness but his technique sometimes lets him down Ė this time he produced a clinical finish from the edge of the box to make it 2-0 Hibs.

Motherwell pulled a goal back with about 15 minutes left when Curtis Main pounced on hesitancy to prod the ball past the keeper and over the line.

Crowd given as 15523 which included season ticket holders. I reckoned about 13000 actually in the ground which isní t bad considering the temperature and small away support.

The Hibs print at home ticket function is painless and means you donít have to arrive until close to kick off. For this game tickets could be bought from the pods behind each stand (cash only) or the ticket office (cash and cards).

Usual Hibs programme on sale Ė fails my fold in the pocket test so didnít bother. Also avoided the over-priced Easter Road catering. Dined earlier on a deep fried haggis supper, with turnip pakora from one of the more up-market chippies on Leith Walk. Restricted myself to pre-match pintage in the Mash Tun.

Most groundhoppers will have done Easter Road long-since. Worth reminding any who havenít that parking is a nightmare Ė the surrounding area has insufficient spaces for the residents let alone a football crowd. And by surrounding area I mean a mile or more in all directions.

Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 1, 2018, 9:51 AM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #6 of 12 (2465 views)
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Doncaster & District FA Challenge Cup, Round 1

Denaby United 1 {29'}
Wombwell Main 2 {26' 55'}

Venue: Yorkshire Main FC / Att: 30-odd / OXO: 80p

Nice to see a floodlit game at Yorkshire Main again,
pity only half the bulbs are working though...
and one of those went with a bang and burst into flames just after kick-off! Shocked

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Feb 1, 2018, 1:43 PM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #7 of 12 (2219 views)
Re: [nico] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nowhere. Went to Hayes and Yeading to watch the youth game v Aldershot supposed to be in the main stadium. Got there and it was on the 3G inside a cage. Didn't fancy standing up peering through a cage in freezing weather so went home instead

First Team Star

Feb 1, 2018, 2:05 PM

Team(s): Various

Post #8 of 12 (2199 views)
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League 2

Exeter City 2 Forest Green Rovers 0

Att 3,382

Admission £10 standing

(Reduced prices as game was restaging of Boxing Day encounter that was abandoned at half time).

Had not gone on Boxing Day as I took in an SWP match but with little else on offer and cheap(er) admission I took a walk up to the Real St James Park. Still under going re-development with only 2 stands open.

Game was not great, first half was dreadful in fact, Exeter came out for the 2nd half and lifted the pace, got a goal through a quickly taken free kick with FGR caught out then a 2nd from the penalty spot. After that back to dreary fair.

Forest Green looked why they are 91st, toothless up front despite plenty of possession and sloppy at the back.

Need to feed em some raw steaks I reckon !!!

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to :

First Team Star

Feb 1, 2018, 6:30 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #9 of 12 (1939 views)
Re: [SWP-Phil] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Waltham Forest 3-3 Sawbridgeworth Town
Essex Senior League

Working in London meant a rare venture into the Essex Senior League. Between this and Ilford, and glad I chose this after an entertaining game. Sawbridgeworth took an early lead and had the balance of possession for the first half hour. However they then conceded a penalty and within another minute or so, found themselves a goal down. Sawbridgeworth then equalised just before the break. The second half was a bit cagier, but Waltham Forest retook the lead via a nice finish from a tight angle. They almost hung onto for the win, but Sawbridgeworth got another equaliser, from a penalty, with minutes left and almost got a late winner.

Decent ground but only about forty in attendance

Reserve Team Sub

Feb 1, 2018, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #10 of 12 (1851 views)
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish League Two
Stirling Albion 1 Cowdenbeath 0
Admission £13, Basic Programme £1, Pie & Bovril £4, Attendance 395

Very cold and crap is probably a bit harsh but it was no classic and not much better. Stirling probably had a little more composure, while Cowdenbeath huffed and puffed. I always feel sorry for traditional clubs when they hit hard times. I really hope they pull themselves together to survive in the play-offs. Just the one stand open, with away fans down the far end. There was a well respected minutes applause for formed Albion owner Peter McKenzie who passed away recently.

I'd originally earmarked St Johnstone v Hamilton, but that was off owing to Saints re-arranged Cup match earlier in the week. Train up and back from Glasgow staying overnight. A couple of ales in the Horse Shoe, then the majestic Bon Accord, where I was made to feel a regular despite only popping in a couple of times a year. I returned there post match after the rail replacement bus service dropped me back at Queen Street at 10.45.

Looking forward to returning to the city for the weekend of 23rd/24th and to clock up another new tick. Just a shame there'll be lots of kick and clappers in town for England's game at Murrayfield.

Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 1, 2018, 9:50 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #11 of 12 (1690 views)
Re: [Dr Love] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Kidlington 1-1 Winchester City
Southern League 1st Division West

A poor contest which never really got going. Neither side at their best. Kidlington took the lead just before half time. They were awarded a penalty which was saved by the keeper, but he couldn't hold on and he was beaten second time around. The equaliser came in second half injury time from a corner and ended up stuck between the stanchion and the net at the top of the goal.

+1 - wasn't much else on locally and glad I didn't have a venture at Highworth v RWBT in the Hellenic Floodlit - as it was Postponed (waterlogged - now re-scheduled for next Wed 7th Feb).

Always intended to try for this one as my midweek policy: dictates 'league trumps cup' - I just needed to get out and away in good time.
- late PM work meeting nearly foiled me but fortunately that ran out of steam by 16:30.
I then managed to escape with an exchange of the mere briefest of pleasantries with my N&D-est, as she arrived home from London. Angelic

Admission: £6 - same as STEP06 match the previous evening - prog £1.50 but was original issue from postponed fixture in mid-Dec - no update/insert etc.

Attendance: 60 - well it was cold and there was Spuds v 'Prawnies' on TV

Directions: up A4074 to Oxford Ring Rd clockwise round on A34 to jn with A44 and onwards in to Kidlington on A4260 - ground on left down Yarnton Lane - well past TVP HQ.

Parked in small road opposite - arr thru turnstiles at KO - creature of habit Tongue

Traffic fine for me - apart from sitting behind a large DPD lorry until the dual carriageway beyond Nuneham Mad - though I understand the bit nr Botley was rammed a half an hour or so earlier (as it often is) and caused the GD to divert out from the A34 and back in west via the Swinford toll.

Match: sadly a bit of a standard STEP04 slugfest - neither side showing why they might be considered contenders for a PO spot this season.
- not sure about 'Winch' had read good things about them but were distinctly off-colour for a side on the fringes - maybe had absences.
- Kiddy were functional without being flamboyant though had some decent individuals.

They sat further and further back and ultimately allowed the visitors to lay siege for the last 10' - the leveller duly arrived in stoppage time from a set-piece, as it always seemed likely to.

Contest somewhat reflected by the standard of the Fullers-variant on offer in the small warm clubhouse - poor on the night - 'Oliver's Island' Golden Ale is probably best left undiscovered Tongue - it was bordering on the 'tastes rancid enough to take back'

Traffic fine on the way back - indoors around 22:40

Reserve Team Sub

Feb 6, 2018, 6:40 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #12 of 12 (983 views)
Re: [royals26] Wednesday 31st January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Morpeth Town 8-2 Blyth Spartans (4-1 HT) at Craik Park
Northumberland Senior Cup Semi Final
Admission: £6, Programme: £1.50, Tea: £1
Attendance: 353

Was going to go to Gateshead vs Wrexham on Tuesday but pizza got in the way so decided to go to what I thought was the stand out match on the Wednesday, a Northern League v Conference North local derby with the possibility of an upset as Blyth had been suffering injury problems and bad form as of late. However, I didn't see this result coming. A pretty mad opening 15 minutes saw Morpeth take the lead and Blyth respond immediately before Morpeth retook control by scoring twice for a 3-1 lead, after which the Blyth keeper had to be subbed off with an injury. The game slowed down after this frenetic start with Morpeth still thoroughly in control and added a fourth around the half hour mark and had plenty of chances to add to it during the rest of the first period. Morpeth continued the pressure in the second period as the Blyth side, which was apparently made up of reserves and fringe players according to the Blyth fans that were around me in the second half, looked disjointed and not in the match at all. The home side scored another 4 goals with a Blyth consolation sandwiched in between. My highest scoring game and the highest amount of goals I've seen a single team score since I've been in the NE. Ground is okay, one decent sized main stand on the halfway line, no other cover but hard standing all the way round. Tea bar is located in the clubhouse, with usual fare on offer for the normal prices, got very full at half time with the larger than average crowd which made me glad I went for a tea just before the whistle. Went here by train, walking from the station to the ground is a bit of a way and required walking along an unlit path but fortunately I had a torch so it wasn't too much of an issue. Back in the flat by 2310.

Grounds visited: 182
Last new ground: Woodhorn Lane (Ashington)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3