Met Police query

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jan 24, 2018, 8:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 3 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Met Police query Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Met Police website claims the club only played friendlies between 1919 and 1928.

However, I've happened across this table on the Historical Dons website that shows a Metropolitan Police side playing in the Southern Suburban League in the 1919/20 season.

The following season has an equally awful team going under the name Scotland Yard Police.

Is the 1919/20 club the current Met Police, or did an existing Met Police team get renamed Scotland Yard Police after the current Met Police team were formed?

The trail of tables on the Historical Dons site then dries up as their reserves joined the Isthmian League reserve section.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 24, 2018, 10:29 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Met Police query [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't give you a definitive answer but it's worth looking into the history of The Comets (previously the NSY Comets - New Scotland Yard).

BertD
Youth Team Regular

Feb 2, 2018, 11:07 AM

Team(s): AFC Wimbledon

Post #3 of 3 (728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Met Police query [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wimbledon's programmes for both those seasons have them in both fixture lists and tables as Metropolitan Police, hence I used that on the Historical Dons website.

Wimbledon's reports from the local newspaper for 1920/21 has them variously as Metropolitan Police, Scotland Yard and Scotland House. Another source has them in the league table as Scotland Yard Police. The Southern Suburban League match between Metropolitan Police and Wimbledon's reserves was advertised as being played at Greyhound Lane, Streatham.

There are no police sides in the Southern Suburban League tables that I have for 1921/22 or later.

HTH

(This post was edited by BertD on Feb 2, 2018, 12:11 PM)

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3