Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 Next page Last page  View All

Mike S
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 30, 2017, 7:59 PM

Post #1501 of 1586 (7820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

December 30 2017
Bedford 23 Ealing Trailfinders 24
Attendance 3401 announced Admission £20 standing, £24 had I chosen to sit but may have been sold out
Few options today locally, a couple with pitch inspections but if these were off, no back ups in West Mids apart from the usual 3G.
There was only a few RU outside of Wales but Bedford was on without pitch inspection and doable by train albeit £38 from Tamworth but better for me than driving two hours plus in the dark
The group is adequate just for the club, when an above average attendance occurs, there are few places to stand as apart from the stand, there is minimal elevation and no terracing as such. one reasonable stand holds maybe 1000. There are however no shortage of places to obtain a beer and many seemed happy to have this even if a poor view
The game was dreary in the first half and Bedford were 18 nil up at HT. Even at 18 7 things looked predictable but it became 18 17 and then 23 17. Ealing then scored a converted try and despite pressure in stoppage time, Bedford missed a drop kick
Despite being modest in size, this was very much a traditional RU ground and crowd
real route march back to the station timed to perfection in 17 mins for train to be 6 late

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 1, 2018, 9:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #1502 of 1586 (7526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 30th December 2017 (ko 1430)
at Sardis Road, Pontypridd
WRU Premiership Second Phase
Pontypridd 29 Bedwas 20 (ht 19-8)
Admission - £10.00
Programme - 32 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 1 650 (official)

With rugby below the top two levels in England having a weekend off, I always plan to head to Wales today, where a full programme is scheduled. With plenty of wet weather around, I decide on a 3G option, certainly not a hardship when there is a ground as interesting as Sardis Road available. This is the second year of an artificial pitch here, but the initial surface was actually ripped up and replaced last summer after just one season of use, amidst allegations that some players had received burns, despite the original pitch passing the relevant safety tests. Whatever, the original problems were, they seem to have now been resolved.

The ground is a ten minute stroll from Pontypridd railway station around the town’s inner ring road, whilst a JDW tick is secured at a pub conveniently located right opposite the station. The ground is situated alongside the River Rhondda, just prior to its confluence with the Taff, and programmes are sold from a table as you make your way along the riverside driveway that leads to the entrance. The programme is rather unusual, actually being comprised of 36 pages, and numbered as such on its inside pages, but the outer four pages are purely an advertising shell. Thus, the real cover is on page 3, and whilst an apology is made for not being to list up to date line ups on the back cover due to holiday printing deadlines, the actual page concerned is 34 of 36! Needless to say, the outer page quickly finds its way into my rubbish bin!

The clubhouse stands behind the posts at the entrance to the ground, with admission being paid at a window on the outside of the building. A ticket is issued, and is checked by stewards as you pass through the adjoining large gateway - there are no actual turnstiles. Entrance to the clubhouse is from inside the ground - it comprises one large room and a smaller lounge, and feels much more like a non league football clubhouse than you experience at English rugby union grounds. Hospitality entertaining is carried out somewhere beneath the stand, and the clubhouse is primarily the focus for spectators pre match drinking. Unlike football, however, drinks can be taken outside providing they are in plastic glasses, which helps prevent the building becoming unpleasantly packed. No real ale available, but hot food and drink options can be had from a kitchen hatch, with further catering from a burger van next to the stand.

Sardis Road is not that old a ground, dating back only to the early 1970’s, but its facilities are impressive and have a traditional feel. There is no pitch side access behind the posts at the clubhouse end, but pathways lead away down either side of the ground. The river side has a covered terrace stretching the full length of the pitch, which was the most popular vantage point for the home fans, with more open terracing curving round the far end of the venue. The opposite side has an impressive main stand, stretching around three quarters the length of the pitch, with nineteen rows of individual seats atop an already elevated base, offering a fine view under a cantilevered roof. Changing rooms are under the stand, and players make their way across the paddock and onto the pitch without the need for football style barriers. Dug outs sit in front of the stand, a public address system is utilised throughout, as is an electronic scoreboard and clock. Floodlights are switched on for the second half.

Today is the opening day of the second phase of the premiership season, where the sixteen teams play each other once, with the only traditional aspect of an otherwise convoluted process seeing the team that tops the table being crowned champions without the need for play offs. The first phase had seen two eight team sections, split east and west, to give a preponderance of local derbies over a 14 game programme, but with only points for position carried over, eight for first place down to one for eighth. Pontypridd and Bedwas had carried over seven and six points respectively for their second and third place finishes in the east section, with their two meetings to date both bringing about an away win. Today though, the hosts just about always had the edge, eventually scoring five tries to three, but they never quite put the game to bed in the second half, leading by nine points until an unconverted try in the 80th minute. When Bedwas then crossed the try line deep in stoppage time they had a last kick of the game conversion for a bonus point, but from out wide the kick drifted across the front of the posts.

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in traditional rugby territory, and certainly a ground worth bearing in mind as a back up in bad weather, even for very occasional rugby attendees. The atmosphere was in many respects more akin to what I would expect at a rugby league game, not least in the manner that the home supporters were keen to advise the match officials that just about every defending visiting player was in an offside position, and every one of their passes went forward! One thing you would probably only get at rugby union, however, was the announcer asking for the visiting team to be applauded on to the field, and the majority of the home support responding positively.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 6, 2018, 7:30 PM

Post #1503 of 1586 (6954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 06/01/18 @ 14:15
South West 1 East (Level 6)
Wimborne RUFC 32 Grove RUFC 28
Admission by programme (sold at a table upstairs in the bar) £3
Programme: Match specific 16pp b+w issue, good effort.
Grove’s team listed on their website.
Refreshments: from the clubhouse, sausage & egg bun £2, fruit pastilles from the Leigh Park Stores up the road £1
Attendance: around 100 (forgot to count!)

Wimborne’s ground, Leigh Park, proved a little difficult to locate; it’s all a question of getting the right approach road (Gordon Road) off the B3073 in the eastern suburbs of the town – which I initially didn’t! I suspect that you’ve little hope of a spot in the 25 space club carpark unless you arrive at the crack of dawn, but there is plenty enough parking nearby on the rather run-down estate roads surrounding the ground.

Walking through the club carpark, you immediately find the two storey clubhouse which is a squat flat-roofed affair and rather in need of a good lick of paint, certainly inside. Reading between the lines on the club’s Pitchero website, the current complex appears to be leased from the local council, and they want the rugby club - and also Wimborne Town FC, who play on the other side of town at Cuthbury – to relocate in order to facilitate residential development of the two existing grounds. It is being proposed under the latest plans that both clubs relocate to a site on the edge of the town, lying between the B3073 (Leigh Road) and the A31 Bypass, behind Parmiter Gardens. This will be developed as a mixed residential and sports area. It seems the idea may have been rumbling on for a number of years now without much progress, and Wimborne rugby haven’t been too pleased about all the uncertainty (not least because the first local council plan didn’t provide for a car park, floodlights, or a replacement clubhouse)! Things may be starting to gather momentum as councils generally now have to address their new housing quotas, so Leigh Park (and Wimborne Town’s ground) may be Grounds for Concern - but not any time soon, I suspect. Shades of Burton on Trent RFC!

The clubhouse features downstairs changing rooms, and upstairs bar, which was cosy (settees you could sink in!), but somewhat cramped. Food is dispensed from a hatch by the bar, and certainly provided decently-fried chips from the look of them, although I didn’t indulge. There is a side room off, where a members’ buffet was being served. Outside, there are two pitches, the main one immediately behind and parallel to the clubhouse, the second pitch beyond that, and a few training floodlights sporadically scattered around. Hardstanding is provided along the back of the clubhouse for the main pitch, but I chose to perch on a plastic chair in front of the windows in the upstairs bar which provided a good panoramic view of the game, where I was accompanied by a bevy of away supporters who provided knowledgeable and entertaining company during the match. It was certainly warmer than standing outside on a raw day.

When the game between these two teams in the lower reaches of the division started very scrappily, I feared the worst, but having settled to the task, Wimborne and Grove played out a humdinger, with never more than 7 points between the teams and the lead changing hands six times in the second half alone. In an open game, at least 5 of the 10 tries in the game came from chip kicks over the defence. There was quite an edge between the two teams at times, and a lenient referee might have dealt more harshly with the miscreants in a couple of mass brawls. I though the key moment might have come after 53m when with the score 17-18, a relatively easy Wimborne penalty hit the post and came back into play – neither side’s kicker had a particularly good day – but the home side retained their confidence and eventually won it with a last gasp try in the final play. A good contender for my Match of the Season!

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 6, 2018, 8:35 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1504 of 1586 (6929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...and a lively contender for my RU game of the season!

Saturday 6th January 2018
Kenilworth 31 Malvern 37 (HT 10-5)
Midlands Two West, South (level seven, kick-off 2.15pm)
Admission £3
Programme (w/a) 60pp: 52pp glossy shell with 8pp match insert (the latter an excellent, informative effort)
Attendance 135 (h/c)
Hot beverages and booze available from the clubhouse bar (didn't sample)

This crunch third-versus-second clash certainly lived up to its billing. Realistically, Kenilworth needed to win to keep alive hopes of continuing to push unbeaten leaders Droitwich and Malvern in the promotion race. They went very close! Ken led 10-0 and 17-5 then edged 31-27 ahead with 15 minutes left. But the visitors, who played a very pleasing brand of running rugby, were just that bit classier all round. A converted try in the 69th minute put them 34-31 ahead, and a 72nd-minute drop goal completed the scoring. Ken established position right on the Malvern line as a rip-roaring contest moved into stoppage time but conceding a penalty for failing to release the ball let the visitors off the hook. At one stage, Malvern transformed a 5-17 deficit into a 27-17 advantage. High point of the contest was the period between the 47th and 69th minutes, during which both teams registered two tries in as many minutes. The try count finished 4-5. Several of the scores were long-range efforts, a couple, in particular featuring superb handling. Kenilworth, who have a game in hand, now trail Malvern by 10 points and Droitwich by 16.

I was keen to get the Jack Davies Memorial Ground 'ticked' because Kenilworth plan to leave for a site near Bullimore Wood, close to the A452 (Leamington Road) junction of the A46. As I discovered this afternoon (see RU Grounds for Concern), the move isn't going to happen for at least four years. Quite taken with the JDMG, which is on the Leamington side of the town centre and secreted behind dignified 1930s detached homes. Compact and enclosed, it has the feeling of a 'proper' ground. So many RU enclosures, often open and exposed, do not. The pitch, which inclines downhill in the direction of the A46 (visible across fields), has been cut into a slope. It means the clubhouse (extended several times, by the look of it) is rather lower than the pitch. Players and spectators ascend steps to reach the playing surface, which is railed on each side. There is a decent stretch of flagged hardstanding immediately above the clubhouse. Opposite, a surfaced track, providing access to an overspill car park, doubles as spectator hardstanding. No cover but there are floodlights. As is (bafflingly) usual with RU, they weren't switched on this afternoon, even though the last half-hour was played out amid an inky murk.

The match was preceded by something called a Pirates Lunch, which if nothing else afforded the risible spectacle of middle-aged men wearing ludicrously lurid blazers. In this instance, a decidedly ghastly design of blue, black and white stripes. Honestly, what a bunch of twats they looked. All proceeds from today's game, including the lunch and the gate receipts, went to Prostate Cancer UK. The charity, I learned from a leaflet that came with the prostate cancer badge my donation acquired, has its HQ in the village of Little Marston, a short distance west of my present home in York. Well, well.

Set off good and early this morning because I wanted a look at Kenilworth Castle, surely the only thing in this dull town worth seeing. It didn't disappoint, and absorbed two hours' exploration. One of the more impressive properties on English Heritage's notoriously hit-and-miss register. As for Kenilworth: judging by a dowdy, dated appearance, it's a victim of boneheaded 1960s town planning. They might as well flatten the place and start again. Traffic levels on the A1, M1, M69 and A46 very light, in both directions. Miserable midwinter does have an up side!

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 6, 2018, 8:46 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 6, 2018, 9:03 PM

Post #1505 of 1586 (6907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

(the latter an excellent, informative effort)

I remember when I visited there a couple of seasons back, my "match insert" contained a short column of gardening tips!! Sly

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 7, 2018, 8:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #1506 of 1586 (6768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 6th January 2018 (ko 1400)
at Mintbridge, Kendal
RFU Northern Division North Premier (Level Five)
Kendal 17 Rossendale 24 (ht 7-14)
Admission - £7.00
Programme - 28 pages, £1.00
Attendance - 400 (estimate)

As Feversham Lens reported earlier in the season, Kendal moved into their new home just over three months ago. It must rank as one of the shortest distance ground moves on record, being, at most, half a mile further north along the A6, and on the opposite side of the bridge that carries the road over the River Mint. Kendal appear to be referring to their new home as Mintbridge to differentiate from the old Mint Bridge - the new ground is even closer to the bridge than the old one, with the river flowing behind the posts of the main pitch - one conversion attempt today cleared the protective fencing to meet with a watery end. It is no more than a mile walk to the railway station, also on the north side of town, but further to the town centre. Having headed into town for pre match refreshments, I took advantage of Stagecoach bus services 43/43A, which run half hourly to Morrisons store, no more than five minutes walk from the ground. Afterwards, I had plenty of time to walk back for my train home, passing the site of the old ground - only the shell of the old clubhouse remains, being used as a site office - with the steelwork structure for the supermarket that is being built already in place where the pitch once stood.

A purpose built hut stands at the entrance to the site, where admission is charged and programmes sold, with vehicular access on one side, and a pedestrian walkway on the other. Just beyond that is the large building that provides all the clubs facilities, very much in the centre of the site. The main pitch is to the north of this, with a caged artificial grass pitch to the south - both of them floodlit. On frosty weekends in December, Kendal switched two first team games to the AGP, but it would not be a great viewing experience with a crowd of several hundred - only in the corner nearest the entrance can you get a view over the top of the cage due to the rising land. The hosts won both of those games, but have yet to win on their new grass pitch, a duck they were unable to break today, The 2nd XV were in action on the AGP today, the players busy moving several small sided football posts out of the way as I arrived. Two other grass pitches at either extremity of the site, one small sized, complete the playing facilities, although land still under development closest to the river may fit in another small sized pitch.

The clubhouse is, as would be expected from a brand new building, very impressive. A club shop occupies the entrance foyer, with changing facilities and gymnasium taking up the rest of the ground floor. The first floor has a function room that was hosting pre match hospitality, with a large lounge open for regular spectators. Bowness Bay Swift Best and Thwaites Wainwrights were the real ale options available, and hot drinks could also be had from the bar. Both upstairs rooms lead on to a balcony that gives a fine elevated view of the pitch, albeit very exposed to a bitingly chilly breeze today. The balcony in turn provides the roof to five rows of plastic tip up seats that stretch around half the length of the pitch. Viewing is good from here, with no obstructing pillars, and dug outs and scoreboard on the opposite side. The pitch is railed with hard standing all around, and, unlike the old ground which backed on to a light industrial estate, here you are blessed with stunning views of the surrounding fells. A kitchen hatch on the outside of the clubbouse provides pitchside catering, with a range of hot food and drinks - a half time cup of soup was most welcome in today’s temperatures.

The teams began the day in 8th and 9th positions in the table, Kendal just one point ahead of their visitors. Rossendale, however, had three games in hand, and, having suffered postponements on both of those days when Kendal switched games to their artificial pitch, the subsequent Christmas/New Year break meant the visitors were today playing for the first time in five weeks. Any thoughts that the lack of match practice would have a negative effect were quickly dispelled, with Rossendale dominating from the off. They were awarded an early penalty try after a collapsed maul, but Kendal levelled on 26 minutes, their first excursion into the visitors 22. Rossendale quickly responded to lead at the interval, and, although Kendal scored a long range penalty soon after the break, a third try put the visitors 19-10 ahead. With little threat coming from the home side, that looked like being enough to bring victory, and Rossendale went on to secure a try scoring bonus point with just over five minutes left. Strangely enough, that finally brought an effective attacking response from Kendal, a chipped kick out wide and a fine conversion earning a losing bonus point. A fairly frantic last couple of minutes followed, but Kendal were unable to gain the field position to challenge for what would have been a very unlikely draw.

Norwich6
Junior Team Star

Jan 8, 2018, 11:16 AM

Team(s):

Post #1507 of 1586 (6635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 6th January
At Tuttles Lane East Wymondham
London 3 Eastern Counties
Wymondham 7 Southwold 26 (ht 7-21 )
Kick off 1415 (supposed to be 1400 but think referee late getting there)
Admission Free
No Programme Though 2017/2018 Handbook available Free
Attendance 100 estimate
Tea £1

As I had a ticket for the 1730 kick off Norwich v Chelsea match
my football options were limited so this was an ideal opportunity
to visit here as this is most probably the last season on this.
ground. Next season the club are hoping to move to a 30
acre site at Norwich Common between Wymondham and
Hethersett. The new ground will have a 2 storey clubhouse 3 full
sized pitches of which one at least will be floodlit

The current ground is easy to find being not far off the A11 and
near to the Norfolk police Hq. There is a smallish car park and a
medium sized clubhouse as you enter from the car park
A portacabin is in use as the players changing rooms.

The pitch is partly railed along both side with advertising boards .
In the event of rain a small amount of cover is provided by an awning
built onto the clubhouse. A gap in the hedge along the side
leads to another pitch where the 3rd team were playing and there
was also a smaller sized pitch for the juniors

The match itself was reasonable enough though never reaching any
great heights. League leaders Southwold scored first midway through the first half but Wymondham made it 7 7 with a length of the
field try which was the highlight of the game. Two converted tries
before the interval put Southwold 21 7 ahead. The second period
was mainly Southwold but Wymndham defended well and there
was just one further try in the corner which was not converted.
One oddity in the whole match not a single penalty that was conceded
was within kicking distance

Home in time for tea and cake before short walk to Carrow Rd

(This post was edited by Norwich6 on Jan 8, 2018, 11:54 AM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 9, 2018, 11:16 AM

Post #1508 of 1586 (6448 views)
Shortcut

30th December 2017
Welsh Premiership
RGC1404 47 Bridgend 14
Att: 1700 (est)
Adm: £10, kids free (seats or terrace)
Prog: £2, 32pp full colour, professional match specific issue, very good
Beer: Little Orme Brewery Snowdon Lager 3.20/pint, very nice.
Food; plenty of choice but didn't sample

With very little on within any reasonable distance of home a revisit was the order of the day to see how the Northern interlopers are coping in the top tier of Welsh club rugby. Based on what we saw today the answer is "very nicely, thanks for asking"!

On the field the game was closer than the scoreline might suggest as the visitors made a good fist of it for 60 minutes and were well in the game. However, 4 tries in the final quarter made it look rather more lopsided than the game actually was. It was, on the whole, played at a good pace with plenty of skill on show. Final try tally of 7-2.

From my previous visit a couple of years ago little has changed in the ground but gaining entry is easier now as you but tickets from a booth behind the main stand and terrace rather than having to walk half way around Eirias Park to a poorly way marked council hut as was the case before. There seems to be more parking within the ground now too although it was hard work getting out at the end. There is also now a decent sized marquee behind the stand for drinks (very reasonably priced too) and what bits of merchanidise they have can be bought here (this needs sorting out, their suppliers appear to be doing them no favours at all) as well as the excellent programme.

There are plenty of stewards around who are friendly and helpful and the crowd was in my estimation around 200-300 more than last time we went which was good to see. Having a winning side helps of course.

It'll be interesting to see how they fare through the rest of the season. They won their pre Christmas regional section and currently sit joint top of the league now they've amalgamated. I suspect their away form will be the key.

The Moose
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 11:35 AM

Team(s):

Post #1509 of 1586 (5934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FRI JAN 12th - EURO CUP EGGCHASING: BATH 17 LLANELLI SCARLETS 35

TKTS: £35 & £10 PROG: £3.50 ATT: 13,822

First opportunity to take the granddaughter to the Rec & TBH she was unimpressed! I can't blame her really as the home team were woeful. In fairness, the visitors from west Wales by contrast, were impressive & thoroughly deserved their win on the night. They were clearly up for it, whereas Bath remain totally inconsistent, great one week & rubbish the next.

Usual large crowd, but not the best view from where we were sat by a corner flag. Hordes of Welsh visitors sat around us too & most were friendly if a tad raucous. The copious amount of ale being drunk, may or may not have had some bearing on how loud they got! I think mini madam prefers a smaller place that's less busy & in fairness to her, so do I these days! Apparently the architects will be on contract soon to develop the Rec into an 18,000 capacity proper job stadium. I hope they make a decent job of it & improve on the 'do it yourself' style of seating they currently have.

KRTM Cool

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 13, 2018, 8:22 PM

Post #1510 of 1586 (5852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 13/01/18 @ 14:00
Wadworth 6X Southern Counties South (Level 7)
Marlborough RUFC 55 Corsham RUFC 0
Admission: free
Paperwork: No programme, but I picked up a 2017/18 club handbook. Okay, the content is largely adverts and season’s fixture lists (right down to the U-7’s), but it’s something … Sly
Refreshments: from the clubhouse, 2 x crisps £1.40, Snickers bar 70p. No hot food available.
Attendance: 56 (h/c)

I managed to get away early this morning with the intention of a longish round-trip to Swindon Supermarine FC, but made a late decision to divert to Marlborough rugby for an earlier kick-off - it’s not quite such a journey and I’m not quite so keen these days to be travelling unknown country roads in the dark. Supermarine can wait until we’re into British Summer Time!

Approaching from Avebury on the A361, (where I’d made a brief stop to survey the prehistoric mound known as Silbury Hill), Marlborough is dominated by the College campus to your right before you swing into the High Street, which is reputed to be the second widest in England (after Stockton-on-Tees). There’s strip parking right down the middle of the drag as well as along each side, but it proved impossible to find a space, and there seemed to be rather a lot of cars just cruising around waiting for a spot to become vacant – I therefore carried on to the rugby club, which is situated high above the town on the north-west side, up Free’s Avenue. As you turn into that road, the Common is on your right, with the club’s two pitches running parallel to the road. The clubhouse and changing rooms, however, are on the left hand side of Free’s Avenue and players and spectators have to cross the road to access the pitch. The main pitch is merely roped off on both sides; there’s no furniture or cover, so not one for inclement weather - very exposed to a biting wind today. The clubhouse itself is modernish and unremarkable.

The match pitted 2nd vs 4th and was regarded a bit as a “must-win” for both sides. Corsham had defeated Marlborough earlier in the season and a close game was anticipated – in the event it was anything but …… Marlborough’s Director of Rugby is one Elisi Vunipola; you may recognise the family name. The Marlborough squad today included, by my reckoning, at least half with a Southern Hemisphere background, and they absolutely marmalized Corsham, (who, to their immense credit, never gave up). The first try came in the first minute from a quickly taken penalty and given the battering-ram surges from the forwards and slick handling and fast breaks from the backs, it was a wonder it was only 22-0 at the interval – and that was with Marlborough going up the slope! One reason was today’s exchange referee, from the Bucks Society, who played everything by the book and yellow carded two of the home team in the first half. In between these sin-binnings, he also dismissed the Corsham club touch-judge for dissing one of his decisions – I think that was a first for me!

Marlborough rattled in another 5 tries in the second half and two of them were classic – an over-the-shoulder pass on 49m which completely changed the direction of play and put the home full back in virtually under the posts, and an extravagant dummy on 58m that completely fooled half the opposition defence. No change in league positions following today’s rout, but with league leaders Sherborne being beaten at home today, if Marlborough can keep this sort of momentum going, I wouldn’t want to bet against them taking the title.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 8:26 PM

Post #1511 of 1586 (5850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 13th January 2018
Orrell 48 Oswestry 7 (HT 24-7)
South Lancashire/Cheshire Division Two (level eight, kick-off 2.30pm)
Free admission
Programme £2 (36pp, entirely game specific, outstanding for this level)
Attendance 120 (h/c)
Hot drinks available from a vending machine (didn't bother)

London Welsh apart, Orrell are probably the biggest losers of English rugby union's professional era. The clubs' common denominator was a mere few hundred supporters - not enough to sustain a squad of full-time players. Once sugar daddy Dave Whelan, 'Mr Wigan', lost interest, Orrell were doomed. The club's former Edge Hall Road ground, near the heart of this 'lay-by on the M6' village, is now a high performance training centre (whatever that is) for Wigan Warriors RLFC. I visited EHR in January 2000, to watch Orrell and Rugby draw 13-13 after extra time in a Tetley's Bitter Cup fourth round tie. Popped in for a look before this afternoon's game. The two stands and clubhouse are still in place. I learned later that Wigan have sold the ground, and plan to establish a training base elsewhere. Presumably, EHR will now suffer the same fate as its three outer pitches - to be covered in characterless starter homes.

These days, Orrell are a wholly amateur outfit, run by a handful of ageing enthusiasts. They rent a terrible pitch - permanently boggy - round the back of St John Rigby College, a couple of miles out of Orrell on the Gathurst road. The first XV flounder about at level eight. Playing the likes of Aspull, Oldershaw and Port Sunlight must render as distant as Pluto the memory of fixtures against Bath, Gloucester and Harlequins. However, Orrell have earmarked for a new ground 14 acres of land close to Winstanley College (not far from Edge Hall Road). The plan is to share with Winstanley Cricket Club facilities administered by a community trust. Before anything can happen, Orrell need to raise a couple of million. Unfortunately, they're not high enough in the sport's pecking order to qualify for RFU (and other) grants. All sounds rather pie-in-the-sky to me but good luck to 'em.

St John Rigby College is a renowned producer of rugby league talent. A wall of photographs in a stairwell near the dressing rooms reveals its numerous RL-playing alumni include Chris Ashton, Martin Aspinwall, Joe Burgess and Kris Radlinski. If nothing else, the college has modern changing facilities and ample free parking. The rice pudding rugby pitch, sandwiched between the car park and a murky beck, inclines appreciably downhill from west to east (side to side) and lacks pretty much everything: hardstanding, cover, railings and floodlights. Old men, some of them possibly too infirm to take the bus into Wigan, made up most of today's sparse crowd.

Judging by the pre-match remarks of my fellow spectators, everyone expected this mid-table clash to be a tight affair. Oswestry, capitalising on penalty after penalty in their favour, dominated the opening 15 minutes and led 7-0. But once Orrell got going, bringing their speedy outside backs into the game, there was only one winner. Both home wings bagged a brace, and the full-back, who kicked 13 points, contributed a superb individual try in the second half. Orrell crossed in the 17th, 20th, 40+3rd, 42nd, 56th, 59th and 68th minutes to ease aside fairly limited opposition.

At least Orrell's excellent programme, produced by Dave Hewlett, deserves the description 'top flight'. It sold out this afternoon, long before kick-off. Always a good sign.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 13, 2018, 8:41 PM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 8:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #1512 of 1586 (5614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 13th January 2018 (ko 1415)
at Bower Park, Aspatria
RFU Northern Division North Lancashire and Cumbria (Level Seven)
Aspatria 45 Tarleton 34 (ht 15-17)
Admission - £3.00 inc 56 page programme
Attendance - 140 (estimate)

I appear to be on a four yearly cycle of visiting Aspatria’s Bower Park home, having first been in 2010 when a FA Sunday Cup tie was staged here, and then ticked the ground for rugby union in 2014, a home tie for Cumbria in the County Championship. That, of course, meant I hadn’t seen the home club play here - not something I would be overly bothered about tidying up if the ground was at the other end of the country - but, for a well appointed ground within easy travelling distance of home, one I always intended to rectify at some point. Today’s first versus second in the table encounter seemed like an ideal opportunity, and whilst, unlike some, I don’t view a programme as a vital part of the day, it did give the chance to add an Aspatria issue to my collection. I mention this as it is well above the norm for this level of rugby - a 40 page season long shell and a 16 page match specific insert keeping me fully occupied for the 50 minute bus journey back into Carlisle.

The ground is a five minute stroll from the main road through the town, down a very steep hill, which means you get a fine panoramic view of the facilities as you approach. The clubhouse stands at one corner of the pitch, next to the entrance, with an outside balcony overlooking the pitch. No-one watched from here today though, exposed as it was to a stiff and surprisingly cold southerly breeze. Quite a few seemed to be viewing from indoors, the bay windows of two lounges giving an unobstructed view of play. One of these rooms was reserved for sponsors, the other available for regular spectators use. The third room in the building is a large concert room, on the other side of a centrally located bar - the only real ale option was bottles of Thwaites Wainwrights. The kitchen is located in the concert room, with hot food and drinks available for sale throughout.

The main feature of the ground is it’s concrete and steel constructed main stand, sitting between the 22 metre lines on the western side of the pitch. An article in the programme reveals this to be a 1990’s build - had I been guessing I would probably have gone for a couple of decades earlier. Nevertheless, its eight rows of bench seating atop a high elevated base provide a fine viewpoint. Changing rooms are attached to the rear of the building, with dug outs sited in front of it, and the players entering the pitch by a traditional style tunnel. A couple of steps of terracing stretch along both sides of the fully railed main pitch, with loose stone standing at the far end. At the clubhouse end, a grass banking rises up from pitch side, with a few benches set atop it. The main pitch is floodlit - they were switched on during the latter stages of the second half despite the early kick off time - and a manually operated scoreboard faces the stand. The land behind the scoreboard has two outside pitches, unused today, and equipped with training lights.

Since suffering relegation to this level in 2012, Aspatria have never finished outside the top four, but have failed to secure promotion on each of those five occasions. They currently top the table this season, but, in a division which sees the top seven very much still in contention, there is still everything to play for. Visitors Tarleton have impressed on their step up from level eight, and begin the day three points behind their hosts in second place, having played a game more. Playing with the wind behind them, the away team have the better of the first half, but, crucially, they never manage to establish a two score lead, and their two point interval lead always looks vulnerable. The first scores of the second period go the way of the hosts, but Tarleton respond to trail 27-22 just before the hour mark. The next quarter of an hour proves decisive, as Aspatria add 18 unanswered points from two tries and two penalties. Two stoppage time tries for Tarleton come too late for them to challenge for a second bonus point.

Those late scores brought the final try count to 7-7, providing fine entertainment to warm the shivering spectators. Having watched one of my increasingly rare football matches in midweek, and suffered a second successive 0-0 draw during which virtually nothing positive happened, I think I will stick with the ‘egg chasers’ for the foreseeable future. A very enjoyable afternoon is rounded off nicely on my return to Carlisle station, where the 301 Miles From London bar on platform 4 has been a welcome recent addition. I only have time for a very brief call today, but the Banoffee Stout from Crafty Hare, a dunkelweiss and milk stout mix according to the pump clip, is outstandingly good.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2018, 10:01 AM

Post #1513 of 1586 (5222 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Free admission
Attendance 120 (h/c)

At least Orrell's excellent programme, produced by Dave Hewlett, deserves the description 'top flight'. It sold out this afternoon, long before kick-off. Always a good sign.

Orrell post back copies of their match programme on the club website. This is the Oswestry issue:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...20January%202018.pdf

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Jan 18, 2018, 12:02 AM

Post #1514 of 1586 (4985 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Free admission
Attendance 120 (h/c)

Orrell post back copies of their match programme on the club website. This is the Oswestry issue:

Difficult to describe as 'top flight'. Not a patch on Mike Latham's outstanding 48 page progammes at Leigh RL .

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 18, 2018, 9:01 AM

Post #1515 of 1586 (4933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Free admission
Attendance 120 (h/c)

Difficult to describe as 'top flight'. Not a patch on Mike Latham's outstanding 48 page progammes at Leigh RL .

Daft to compare different sports (apples and oranges), and 'rugby' clubs with sharply contrasting resources. I'm talking about 'top flight' in a rugby union context. One doesn't come across many RU programmes this good outside the top two divisions, let alone at the depths of level eight. The programme Orrell produce now is at least as good as the one they issued when, on the field, they were 'top flight'. I should hope Leigh RL's programme is better - they get 6,000 more spectators (ie potential customers) than Orrell RU! Leigh RL are a professional club, with full-time backroom staff; Orrell are amateurs, on and off the pitch. Orrell RU sell, what, maybe 30-40 programmes every game; Leigh RL, I'd imagine, quite a few hundred. As a proportion of home attendance, however, I'd suggest more spectators buy Orrell RU's programme than Leigh RL's, labour-of-love excellent though the latter undoubtedly is.

To correct an observation above: Dave Hewlett tells me he merely sells Orrell RU's programme. It is put together by Tracy Monckton, the club's (volunteer) communications manager.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 18, 2018, 9:08 AM)

Dribble!
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 18, 2018, 10:20 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #1516 of 1586 (4902 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 17 January 2018 - 7.30pm
Cambridge University RUFC 10 ( 1 Try) Army RFU 73 ( 10 Tries and a penalty try)
Grange Road, Cambridge

Admission: £5
Programme: £1

First of all the ground, cracking- maybe not as famous as their counterpart in Oxford but plenty of old school charm to be found. Pavilion with 3 rows of seating in front plus shallow concrete terracing either side plus on top of the pavilion another small seated enclosure, where many of the 'old and bold' of the club sat. Hard standing behind one set of posts, with an electric scoreboard , just grass behind the other posts. On the opposite side to the pavilion a good 70M long grandstand with wooden bench seating - brilliant.

Full bar in use plus café doing hot drinks and food, guess a crowd of 200 plus - think it is free admission for students.

The match was slightly one sided for what seems to be a regular fixture, Cambridge have just had their big game in December and this is the start of the process of getting a team ready for the Varsity match in December 18, whilst the army are finishing off their preparations for the Tri-services tournament coming up.
The army were impressive- speed, power and also plenty of flair- with a number of Fijians in the side.

Not a Rugby expert but from reading this site, not many evening fixtures for RU followers- Good news is that Cambridge University are hosting matches for the next 4 Wednesday nights, including games v the Navy and the RAF. Their Under 20 team also seem to play at Grange Rd on certain Sunday's.

Last New Ground: Spartans (Scotland) ; Games in 2017-18 Season = 103; New Grounds this Season = 52

Next scheduled game: tbc

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Jan 19, 2018, 7:12 PM

Post #1517 of 1586 (4661 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Free admission
Attendance 120 (h/c)

Daft to compare different sports (apples and oranges), and 'rugby' clubs with sharply contrasting resources. I'm talking about 'top flight' in a rugby union context. One doesn't come across many RU programmes this good outside the top two divisions, let alone at the depths of level eight. The programme Orrell produce now is at least as good as the one they issued when, on the field, they were 'top flight'. I should hope Leigh RL's programme is better - they get 6,000 more spectators (ie potential customers) than Orrell RU! Leigh RL are a professional club, with full-time backroom staff; Orrell are amateurs, on and off the pitch. Orrell RU sell, what, maybe 30-40 programmes every game; Leigh RL, I'd imagine, quite a few hundred. As a proportion of home attendance, however, I'd suggest more spectators buy Orrell RU's programme than Leigh RL's, labour-of-love excellent though the latter undoubtedly is.

To correct an observation above: Dave Hewlett tells me he merely sells Orrell RU's programme. It is put together by Tracy Monckton, the club's (volunteer) communications manager.

Not daft at all , forget apples & oranges or zebras & bicycles. Percentage of the final crowd head count you are probably correct. Think at most clubs the programme editor has a thankless task in a sense. Knowing the time and effort it takes Mr Latham to put together his 48 page programme together, i am sure it would make many think again when stepping forward to do the job.

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by onion_bag on Jan 19, 2018, 7:13 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2018, 5:32 PM

Post #1518 of 1586 (4337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 20th January 2018
Leeds Corinthians 17 Burley 5 (HT 5-5)
Yorkshire Four, North West (level 10, kick-off 2.15pm)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 43 (h/c)
No refreshments (other than booze from the clubhouse)

Short hop this afternoon because I wasn't prepared to play the pitch/weather lottery although, as it happens, my first choice games - in Northamptonshire and on the Wirral - both took place. Victory in a third-versus-second clash enabled Corinths to leapfrog their cross-Leeds rivals and draw level on points with leaders Knaresborough, who didn't have a match scheduled. Deserved win, too. The hosts were a little sharper in a largely attritional forward slog on a very heavy pitch. Liked the look of their No 11, a tough, speedy winger. Wasted in this code. Corinths' winning margin would have been wider but for their fly-half striking an upright with two conversion attempts. The hosts crossed in the fifth, 50th and 63rd minutes. Burley's try was scored in the 10th. That conversion attempt also hit a post. Denied an exciting finish when, five minutes from time, the visitors threw the ball into touch with a one-man overlap and the line open.

Corinths play in Middleton, one of Leeds's least appealing districts and not the sort of locale one would expect to find a rugby union club. Their Nutty Slack ground, on top of a hill, is part of the Middleton Leisure Centre complex. Corinths have two pitches, laid out side-by-side. The first team pitch, fully railed, is furthest from the entrance but closest to a two-storey, brick clubhouse, behind the near end sticks. Dressing rooms downstairs, bleak bar on the first floor. Pitchside facilities are as basic as they come: no hardstanding, no cover, no dug-outs, no floodlights. This afternoon, the lesser pitch hosted a similarly mudbound second XV fixture with Ossett.

Leeds Corinthians began life, in common with numerous RU clubs in post-1895 Cumbria, Yorkshire and Lancashire, during the Twenties. Between 1925 and 1955, they were known as Leeds Salem.

Home in time to watch the BBC's Final Score, a programme I hardly ever see. Boy, is it tacky. Why on earth do all broadcasters want to be Sky?

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 20, 2018, 9:34 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2018, 5:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #1519 of 1586 (4315 views)
Shortcut

SAT 20TH - DARZET & WILTS DIV ONE NORTH (level 8): WARMINSTER 19 TROWBRIDGE STIFFS 13

ADM / PROG: F & N ATT: h/c 30

Set out intending to catch a local village footy match but a) my lads train was delayed & b) I realized I was going to miss the opening 15 minutes. Therefore I went into plan B mode & played safe, opting for eggchasing in somewhat inclement weather. When I arrived it was tipping it down & you question why do we venture out sometimes when there's no cover! A fence down either touch line & thats your lot facilities wise. As always at lower level rugby, the clubhouse was decent by contrast.

Decision made to man up & enjoy an afternoon away from the fireside. To be fair, it wasn't that bad a game with five tries on a mudbath of a pitch. Footy would never have been played on it & twuz a tad like a paddy field come the end. No one died, no one was injured & no hair was out of place, so well done to the young referee for saying game on. Folly Lane is right on the edge of town, near to the by pass so one to visit by trusty steed as tiz a long hike from the station. Dropped into Westbury United on way home, to find they'd had a late call off. Perhaps it was a day for the eggs afterall.

KRTM Cool

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 20, 2018, 11:00 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1520 of 1586 (4235 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 20th January
Western Counties West (Level 7)
Torquay Athletic 21-15 St Austell
(Abandoned with one minute remaining due to serious player injury)
Attendance 175 h/c
Admission & Programme £5

Thought rugby matches would have a better chance of surviving than football today and the forecast for the Devon was promising so hedged my bets on the micro climate of the English Riviera where Torquay Athletic, Newton Abbot and Teignmouth were all entertaining promotion chasing teams. One thing you can't legislate for in any weather is a serious injury causing a game to be abandoned. The hosts fighting relegation were on course to cause an upset scoring two quick tries around the 15 minute mark, both converted, to take a 14-0 lead. The Cornish visitors came back late in the first half scoring a try in the corner, the only one of the game not converted, then soon after scored again to make it 14-12 and it looked like they were in the ascendency but just before half time the hosts gave themselves a two score cushion again with a try in the corner superbly converted from the touchline by their kicker. The second half remained scoreless until 10 minutes from time when the visitors kicked a penalty to set up a grandstand finish and they were pushing hard for the converted try they needed to win the game when, with a minute plus stoppages remaining, a home player was lying motionless face down on the ground. He couldn't be moved so an ambulance had to be called which took 40 minutes to arrive, by which time it was 4:35pm and even this far west it was starting to get dark, too dark to finish the game which was finally abandoned about a minute before the paramedics finally arrived. My first thought was that the player had injured his spine as he wasn't moving, heard other spectators say it was his shoulder or elbow, hope he is OK. Usually when a rugby match is abandoned the result stands if at least 60 minutes have been played but as the game was still in the balance this may not be the case and the RFU website gives the result as an abandonment. Will have to wait and see if the result stands or the match gets replayed before I can tick The Tics (Torquay Athletic's nickname). If I have to go back it's a lovely ground with an old wooden stand in two parts. The second part angled towards the corner is condemned and looks like it was a standing terrace inside. It looks as though there was once a covered terrace on the opposite side, all that is left is a rusty frame with training lights on top, perhaps if these had been switched on there would have been enough light to finish the game. Behind this are the high rise buildings of Torquay town centre perched on a hill in the distance while the Grand Hotel dominates the view behind the end where you enter the ground and Torquay Station is visible behind the main stand.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 20, 2018, 11:40 PM

Post #1521 of 1586 (4222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Usually when a rugby match is abandoned the result stands if at least 60 minutes have been played but as the game was still in the balance this may not be the case and the RFU website gives the result as an abandonment. Will have to wait and see if the result stands or the match gets replayed before I can tick

The "60 minute played" position is how I've always understood it. I've had three games abandoned under similar circumstances and in each case the result stood. One RFU Cup game, one County Cup game and one League, and it could be argued only one of those was not "within the balance".

Incidentally, the league fixture in the Midlands pyramid - Warley v Greyhound - was still 0-0 when abandoned (!), and the RFU website confirmed the result that Saturday evening. From what I remember of the game, I doubt if either side would have scored if they'd played 800 minutes, let alone a full 80 Sly

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2018, 9:13 AM

Post #1522 of 1586 (4141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Saturday 20th January
Western Counties West (Level 7)
Torquay Athletic 21-15 St Austell
(Abandoned with one minute remaining due to serious player injury)
Attendance 175 h/c
Admission & Programme £5

... it's a lovely ground with an old wooden stand in two parts. The second part angled towards the corner is condemned and looks like it was a standing terrace inside. It looks as though there was once a covered terrace on the opposite side, all that is left is a rusty frame with training lights on top, perhaps if these had been switched on there would have been enough light to finish the game. Behind this are the high rise buildings of Torquay town centre perched on a hill in the distance while the Grand Hotel dominates the view behind the end where you enter the ground and Torquay Station is visible behind the main stand.

Torquay United FC played at this ground, central and on the seafront, between 1900 and 1905. The council took possession and rented it to the RU club, which in those days attracted bigger crowds. During my short time working in Devon, I drove past this ground but didn't get round to watching a game there. I hope to, eventually! By a strange coincidence, prior to moving to the Recreation Ground, thereby displacing the football club, the RU club was based at Plainmoor. United were at Plainmoor by 1910, merging with Ellacombe FC to become Torquay Town. In 1921 that club merged with Babbacombe to become Torquay United.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 21, 2018, 9:16 AM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2018, 9:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #1523 of 1586 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 20th January 2018 (ko 1415)
at Varley Park, Heaton Mersey
RFU Northern Division North One West (Level Six)
Burnage 20 Douglas 21 (ht 7-14)
No admission charged or programme issued
Attendance - 80 (estimate)

With heavy rain forecast to the south, and frost a potential issue to the north, for once on a weekend of bad weather it made sense to stay in the north west of England, except for the fact that the amount of rain that had fallen during the previous week meant waterlogged pitches were an issue today for rugby as well as football. My first choice game at Aspull was an early victim, and I decided against a stressful morning of trying to ascertain what was on and what was off, and settled for a 3G revisit and a match that appealed.

Vehicular access to Varley Park is via an industrial estate, and it is an annoyingly roundabout route if making your way on foot from the nearest public transport links. Last time I was here - four years ago - I travelled by tram to East Didsbury and then used the public footpaths that drop down from the housing estate just north of the ground - it involved traipsing through a quagmire that I did not particularly want to repeat. This time I caught a train to East Didsbury, took the chance for a JDW tick at The Gateway, and then followed the paved cycleway along the north bank of the River Mersey, which emerges on the far side of the club’s outside pitches. It was a rather longer walk, probably the best part of a mile, but with only a couple of slightly muddy stretches.

Surprised, at this level, to find no admission charged, though an appeal on Burnage’s website for volunteers to man a gate rota offers some explanation - even so you would have thought someone would come round for donations during the game. Meanwhile the club did issue when I was last here, and, judging from a photo on their twitter account, were doing so earlier this season, but a comment I overheard in the clubhouse suggested the person who produced the programme had moved on, and they had found no one else willing to take on the task. The set up within the clubhouse was much as when I was last here - one large room with a small area set aside for VIP’s having a pre match lunch. Thwaites Wainwrights was the real ale option, and a good choice of hot food and drinks was available for purchase throughout - the tomato soup was most welcome on a chilly afternoon.

The pitch is fully railed in areas where spectators are allowed to stand, the northern sideline and half of the clubhouse end, where players emerge from the changing rooms, are out of bounds. The one and a half sides of firm underfoot standing are ample for the crowds that Burnage attract - no one ventured behind the far end, which is fairly rough ground, and probably rather boggy today. The pitch is floodlit, with the lights switched on for the second half, and a manually operated scoreboard was utilised on the clubhouse wall. With 2nd and 3rd XV’s both scheduled for away games, neither of the two outside grass pitches was in use - one looked, at least from a distance, as if it might be playable - the other had a recently acquired and quite substantial water feature!

At the start of play both teams were in the group of seven clubs lying from third to ninth in this division separated by just eight points, so a good contest looked in prospect, and it was my first chance to see the Manx visitors since their promotion from level seven last season. The artificial surface allowed for a decent running game that would have been unlikely on a mud bound grass pitch today, and interest was maintained throughout as the game finished 3-3 on the try count, with the outcome in doubt until the very last kick. Leading by six points, the visitors attempted a late drop goal that drifted wide, and Burnage took possession, and eventually gained a line out just inside their own half. The referee indicated this would be the last play, and a fine break took them into an attacking position, with their scrum half finding a gap to score. Unfortunately for the hosts, their regular kicker needed treatment for an injury sustained in the attack, and, with the time allowed for the conversion ticking down, they had to swap kicking responsibilities. The Douglas players charged the kick in a manner more akin to gridiron than the half hearted attempts usually seen on a rugby pitch - the ball went narrowly wide of the posts, and the visitors had held on to win. Great entertainment!

martin55
First Team Sub

Jan 24, 2018, 1:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #1524 of 1586 (3744 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 20th January
6:30

BENETTON v BATH 28-47

Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Via dei Campi Sportivi, Treviso, Italy
European Rugby Champions Cup – Pool 5

The real reason I was in Treviso. Our annual (!) oversees trip to watch Bath Rugby.

Ryanair flight from Stansted to Treviso all booked before the actual day and kick off time had been decided, so plenty of time to see the sights – and get in a game of football as well.

The stadium is about 4km north of the main station, but bus #9 stops very close. Any later kick-off and there is no bus back.

The stadium consists of one side seated and covered (3/4 of the length), the other side is uncovered concrete step seating/standing. No weather issues, except for it getting a little chilly late on. No programmes, but team sheets handed out in the main stand (where we were).

After conceding an early try Bath played well to achieve the bonus point 35 minutes in. then played very sloppily at times to allow Benetton to score three further tries. Unfortunately, qualification for the next round rested on the other group game between Scarlets and Toulon, so in the end Bath achieved the ninth best overall points score, third in the pool, and now have a couple of free weekends to concentrate on doing better in the Premiership.

Tickets cost £22 (25 euros face value) each in advance from Bath Rugby for decent seats near the middle.

Attendance given by the BBC Sport website as 3,300.

Can you remember who you were, before they told you who you should be?

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 26, 2018, 4:49 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1525 of 1586 (3458 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Usually when a rugby match is abandoned the result stands if at least 60 minutes have been played but as the game was still in the balance this may not be the case and the RFU website gives the result as an abandonment. Will have to wait and see if the result stands or the match gets replayed before I can tick

The "60 minute played" position is how I've always understood it. I've had three games abandoned under similar circumstances and in each case the result stood. One RFU Cup game, one County Cup game and one League, and it could be argued only one of those was not "within the balance".

According to a post on St Austell's twitter feed, the WCW are considering all options regarding last Saturday's abandoned game at Torquay Athletic. League secretary Dennis Preece added that games abandoned after 60 minutes because of weather would see the result stand. Games abandoned because of injury have no such steadfast rule. Judgement expected later this week.

First page Previous page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3