Wednesday 27th December 2017

Dave 56
Reserve Team Star

Dec 27, 2017, 10:29 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 18 (3313 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 27th December 2017 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bostik Premier Division KO 19:45. £5 OAP. Crowd 348.

Met Police 1 v 2 Leatherhead

On a chilly night at Imber Court Leatherhead played some attractive passing football in the first half and lead by an excellent from McManus volley at the break. Met made two half time substitutions and were much more in the match second half with Gasson equalising from a corner. Tanners took the 3 points with a late header from Nnamani to send the large visiting contingent home happy.

Good to meet hemelhopper for the first time amongst many familiar faces including Mark Hardy from this forum.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2017, 12:00 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 18 (3157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Atherton LR 1-3 Daisy Hill....NWCL Div 1....Adm £5...Prog £1.50
One of many football tourists who attended tonight game, a few familiar faces including Lollipop John and a Scottish Hopper from Dundee who's on his way to Italy via 'flat cap' territory.
Got parked up early and into the ground for about 1910, payment being temporarily taken at the main car park gates, before moving to the turnstiles which I've never seen used before. I fancied Atherton on their league position to win this but Daisy Hill had a different script and went 0-1 up on 16 minutes playing up the slope....they increased this on 39 minutes and looked pretty sharp up front taking what few chances they had.
Atherton pulled a goal back on 54 minutes but this was short lived as Daisy Hill added a third 5 minutes later from a free kick. Atherton had their No 4 sent off for a foul when the Daisy Hill player was through on goal, there was no way back and the visitors saw out the game comfortably.The light frost was noticeable uphill on the Stand side, it had cut up a bit first half and now was getting a bit crusty. With no further goals the game ended 1-3, much needed point for the visitors. Not too bad a turn out tonight, the Clubhouse was cosy at half time as supporters went in to find their fingers and toes.
The car was reading zero on the temperature gauge after the match, fell to minus 1, before recovering to a balmy 3 degrees on the Fleetwood Riviera. Good run both ways on the motorway network and traffic light for the short run.
Tonight's programme was a double issue for tonight's game and next Saturday's against Holker OB....not a bad issue for £1.50.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

(This post was edited by codofthenorth on Dec 28, 2017, 12:21 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2017, 12:05 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #3 of 18 (3145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

On a chilly night at Imber Court Leatherhead played some attractive passing football in the first half and lead by an excellent from McManus volley at the break. Met made two half time substitutions and were much more in the match second half with Gasson equalising from a corner. Tanners took the 3 points with a late header from Nnamani to send the large visiting contingent home happy.

Good to meet hemelhopper for the first time amongst many familiar faces including Mark Hardy from this forum.

Also at this - was my nearest game still on tonight, so an 86 mile drive for my first ever Isthmian game and visit to Imber Court. Family think I'm mad. Enjoyed it even though it was cold. Better by miles than my match at Basingstoke which was the same Step.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 100 Goals: 394 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 58

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 28, 2017, 9:19 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #4 of 18 (2767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL Premiership
Hearts v Hibernian, 0-0, Att 19316, Admission £28, Programme Yes, Beef Madras, Rice and Mini Poppadoms £4
At Tynecastle Park

Prior to this Edinburgh Derby both teams would probably have been happy with a share of the spoils. This was evident from their team selections. Neil Lennon left out the quick attacking Brandon Barker in favour of Marvin Bartley, the modern-day Dark Destroyer. Hearts also packed their midfield with Craig Levein unashamedly wanting to stop Hibs playing as his first priority.

At the end of the game Levein was certainly the happier of the two managers. His team made very few chances but they kept a clean sheet for the firth game in a row and kept a decent unbeaten run going. Lennon confessed to being pleased that Hibs had now made it ten consecutive derbies wthout defeat but he was quite rightly “incandescent with rage” about a goal that never was.

Hiba main attacking tactic was to play accurate balls either through or over the Hearts defence for the lightening-quick Boyle or Shaw to run on to. All too often they were flagged offside but as early as the 7th minute one such ball worked. Boyle ran on to it wide on the right, hit a powerful low cross and Ollie Shaw deflected it into the goal from close range. The ball came off the bar, bounced down and spun out but everyone at that end of the ground could see it had crossed the line. Everyone, that is, apart from linesman Sean Carr. Watch it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42498959

For the most part it was a game of midfield attrition characterised by crunching tackles, pulls and niggles. The referee, his one gaffe apart, did well to keep control without brandishing more than 4 yellow cards.

Hibs dominated the first half but the second half was 50-50. Hearts had two half-hearted appeals for penalties for handball as the ball blounced about in crowded areas but both would have beenm very soft awards.

There was a very decent atmosphere at a sold-out Tynecastle. A few hundred seats were left vacant in the away end to accommodate the Sky telly studio – a sad indictment of the priorities in modern football when the armchair spectators are given priority over those who want to see the game. As usual a small minority in the home support demonstrated their base ignorance with sectarian nonsense. It’s good to see them being roundly condemned on the Hearts fan site Jambo’s Kickback by the majority of hearts fans who will have no truck with such a thing.

I was unable to get a ticket for the Hibs end but had no problem buying one ion the Hearts end when they went on sale – so just sat on my hands throughout. It will be the same thing for the Scottish Cup tie between the teams at Tynecastle in a few weeks time.

Programme was on sale but in line with my new policy at big games I didn’t buy one. If you cannot fold it and fit it in a back trouser pocket then I don’t want it.

Pre match pints in the Guildford Arms, Café Royal, Kenilworth, Mathers, Haymarket and Ryries as well as a Gluhwein, Bratwurst and Bratkartoffeln in Princes Street Gardens made for a convivial night out.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2017, 9:21 AM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 18 (2762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Deeping Rangers 4-1 P'boro NS. K.O. 19-49
UCL Prem Div
Adm £6/4
Att 95

After spending lunchtime at a very dry Newcastle dogs I was amazed to find out that the Jarrow game was off due to a waterlogged pitch, obviously had nothing to do with the fact that the barcodes were on the telly. Might have been dodgy later on due to frost, but waterlogged seemed a bit far fetched.
So I drove down to Scotch Corner and waited for further news. A revisit to Northallerton didn't really appeal, so was keeping my fingers crossed that Deeping would say yes, shortly after 16-00 the news was good from Deeping, satnav said 19-00 arrival, so off I went.
Plenty of snow laying a few miles either side of Market Deeping but no problems at the ground.
Yet another ground I had no recollection of, perfectly adequate for this level, and the low roof on the stand meant it wasn't too cold.
Decent enough entertainment, the home side were far superior for long periods and should have scored a lot more.
Home at 23-30, and a wry smile came to my face when I found out that Northallerton was a very late postponement.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2017, 9:30 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 18 (2737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
SPFL Premiership
Hearts v Hibernian, 0-0, Att 19316, Admission £28, Programme Yes, Beef Madras, Rice and Mini Poppadoms £4
At Tynecastle Park

You didn't even need to look at the close up, you can always tell by the angle the ball comes out. I'm sure the officials probably knew this too, but without proof it's hard to call.

hemelhopper
First Team Regular

Dec 28, 2017, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #7 of 18 (2705 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

.. indeed, also at this one .. given it was the easiest trip to make, after the land of Sussex fell to extremes (bar Loxwood and final back up at Steyning Town that is),

Entry – paid the full £10; Prog £2 (doubled up with Enfield Town’s visit on Sat); Cuppa for a £1
Weather – warmer in the main stand but real nippy at pitch side
Travel – A3 and back .. coasting in via Esher within a solid hour
Colours - Blues in all sky blue ..Tanners in all green with white trim to sleeve and sock

Pleased to find a game on that took me to pastures new .. although I’d walked passed Imber Court before, when heading to Molesey .. so bearings were comfortable and even appreciated the automatic doors at main reception, making life that little bit easier with those cold hands .. as the ground was found on the other side of glass .. where an impressive main stand looked out into a very cold night sky .. at a game that attracted a fair few Tanners, making up at least two thirds of the total .. their voices raised towards the end as they willed their team on to victory .. thanks mainly to Jerry Nnamani who got his head to everything in defence and came up late for a free kick to bury the ball deep into right of net, as play went into stoppage time .. yep the Tanners really knocked the ball around well all game .. and rightly picked up the points.

Ground was very sparse of anything fixed .. with no advertising .. mostly stepped terrace all around and the main cover to turnstile end .. a good vantage point to main stand, providing protection to what little breeze was passing by .. in fact their seemed to be more German visitors passing by than breeze, as I directed a couple of Bayern scarfs into the ground myself .. and looking at Groundhopper app .. there must have been half a dozen Clubs represented from the Continent this night .. so good on them for taking time out during the festive season to enjoy some Isthmian League

.. the other goals went in around 30 minutes for the visitors, when a break down the right was controlled and brought inside to see ball lashed into top left .. whilst the Police played a mainly industrious game throughout .. conjuring up their goal via strong header from corner around 70 minutes to equalise (see link) .. it was at this time I was wandering about that Dave 56 noticed my woolly beany hat markings of you know who from Hertfordshire .. and introduced himself .. which was a pleasure and honour to meet such a great Tanner .. and hopefully we’ll see each other again along the way, as I become more engrossed into all things Bostik, over the coming seasons .. I just hope it’s a lot warmer next time .. Tongue

Police equaliser - https://twitter.com/...s/946128310714716160

Grounds = 505, Leagues done = 11 (40 to go); Games (18/19) = 66; New Grounds (18/19) = 40; Goals (18/19) = 215; Ave goals/game = 3.26; Last new ground = FC Broxbourne Borough; Next = Sat 15th Dec 2018.

(This post was edited by hemelhopper on Dec 28, 2017, 9:48 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2017, 9:46 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #8 of 18 (2691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
as I directed a couple of Bayern scarfs into the ground myself .. and looking at Groundhopper app .. there must have been half a dozen Clubs represented from the Continent this night .. so good on them for taking time out during the festive season to enjoy some Isthmian League

Indeed...they all congregated near me on the half-way line opposite the stand in the 2nd half

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 100 Goals: 394 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 58

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 28, 2017, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #9 of 18 (2374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two dodgy match official calls against the Hi-bees in games v Rangers and Hearts in the last month.

As you say sad that part of the stand was taken up by a telly studio, you would have though that when they were building their super duper new main stand Hearts could have incorporated one into the design somewhere but that's probably too much of a sensible idea.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Dec 28, 2017, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #10 of 18 (2324 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
as I directed a couple of Bayern scarfs into the ground myself .. and looking at Groundhopper app .. there must have been half a dozen Clubs represented from the Continent this night .. so good on them for taking time out during the festive season to enjoy some Isthmian League

Indeed...they all congregated near me on the half-way line opposite the stand in the 2nd half

Also in attendance at my now most local Non League ground (rot in hell AFCWMad) with 2 Scunthorpe supporting friends; albeit one now lives in Leatherhead, so takes in several Tanners games too. We were accompanied by 3 young Young Boys Bern, fans on a close season ground hopping trip, in the first half and a Crewe Alex fan joined us for the second. Also saw 2 Colchester fans but missed my usual chat by not seeing Dave56. The 28 Not Police Ultras were obviously in attendance, seen celebrating their equaliser. Not a bad game to finish the holiday period with but can't see me being tempted to make Imber Court a regular haunt, in spite of the 10 minute journey, door to door.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2017, 2:10 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #11 of 18 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Two dodgy match official calls against the Hi-bees in games v Rangers and Hearts in the last month.

As you say sad that part of the stand was taken up by a telly studio, you would have though that when they were building their super duper new main stand Hearts could have incorporated one into the design somewhere but that's probably too much of a sensible idea.

The even more annoying aspect was that Celtc didn't have their allocation cut as the studio was built in to the main stand for that game! Not that I even bother trying to get a ticket for Tynecastle these days, in fact I've not got one since the first Championship derby the other year.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 28, 2017, 2:27 PM

Post #12 of 18 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure the studio was in the Gorgie End stand for the Celtic game Matt.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2017, 2:39 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #13 of 18 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm sure the studio was in the Gorgie End stand for the Celtic game Matt.

Apologies, you're right. Point still stands that Celtc didn't have their allocation cut, though.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 28, 2017, 5:32 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #14 of 18 (2065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aye, but Hearts faile to sell the full home allocation allocation for the Celtic game - 800 spare seats plus 200 for the Studio. . Hearts did sell the full home allocation for the Hibs game - 1000 more Jambos paid to see the Hibs game than the Celtic game. In those circumstances Hearts were maximising their revenue and looking after their own fans.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 28, 2017, 6:18 PM

Post #15 of 18 (2005 views)
Shortcut

So the derby was a bigger draw for Jambo fans than a game with Celtic, and the media still tell everyone how we "need" the Old Firm.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Dec 29, 2017, 10:21 AM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 18 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
SPFL Premiership
At Tynecastle Park

You didn't even need to look at the close up, you can always tell by the angle the ball comes out. I'm sure the officials probably knew this too, but without proof it's hard to call.

Don't know why they can't have a camber after the goal line so the ball cant spin back out. If there was a downward slope it stay over the line.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 29, 2017, 10:32 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #17 of 18 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think a few turned ankles would soon put paid to that idea....

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jan 1, 2018, 11:31 AM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #18 of 18 (991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Wednesday 27th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Premier League Aberdeen 1 Partick Thistle 0 Admission £19 (concession) Programme £3 (huge and glossy with little deviation from the norm). Attendance 14830

It would appear from the chief executive's report at the AGM which was reported in the programme that Pittodrie's days are numbers with its inability to provide all the services that a modern stadium needs to put on the decisive factor. Judging by my first visit here to my penultimate SPL ground it would be a shame if this were to happen as it is a glorious old-fashioned stadium with the superb Richard Donald Stand with its executive boxes between the two tiers a nod to modernity. Having said that it is disappointing in this day and age to have stanchions in your eye line as you watch the action. The floodlights (a rare and welcome sight these days) act as a landmark for you to head for as you walk out of town on the 20 minute stroll out of the city centre which was much easier and shorter than the usually excellent Football Grounds Guide stated. There are four distinct stands, the shallowest of which is the Merkland Family Stand behind the goal opposite the Richard Donald Stand, and to the left of it looking from my Main Stand seat is a sizeable block of open seating. Opposite me was the South Stand which has a mixture of red and yellow seats. The Main Stand and the Merkland Family Stand are of sufficient antiquity to have wooden panels and stanchions at their fronts. The two tier Richard Donald Stand towers over the rest of the ground and brings an air of modernity to produce an intriguing mix of old and new.
On the evidence of this game if Aberdeen are the second best team in Scotland it doesn't reflect well on the rest of the SPL for this was a dreadful game with Partick's sole aim being to come away with a point from a goalless draw. Once Aberdeen scored a dreadfully scrappy goal early in the second half which was in keeping with the awful standard of the game they had no idea how to get back on terms. A memorable stadium but a totally forgettable game.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3