Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Newton Abbot/Dynamoes

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 24, 2017, 10:33 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2307 views)
Shortcut
Newton Abbot/Dynamoes Can't Post or Reply Privately

From 1977 - 1989, Newton Abbot Dynamoes (who dropped the Dynamoes after two seasons) played in the South Western League but on which grounds?
In the days before the Devon County HQ at Coach Road, the only information I have is that they used a field known as Centrax.

I don't know if it was this field where a former player mentioned "a trek through a field to the pitch".
Someone also said that they used another pitch in the 1988/89 season prior to withdrawing.

Hopefully someone will know the answers as it was all before my time.

174 grounds (13/01/18).
New grounds in 2017/18: Altarnun, Blackpool, Charlestown, Chesterfield, Delabole United, Derby County, Hayle (3G), Looe Town, Mansfield Town, Newton Abbot Spurs, Par Running Track (pitch 2), Plymouth Marjon, Rame Peninsula, RNAS Culdrose (pitch 2), Rosudgeon (pitch 2), Stoke Climsland, Teignmouth

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 24, 2017, 4:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 6 (2231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Newton Abbot/Dynamoes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From the Penn Hill roundabout (now a flyover) you took the road up the hill (Shaldon Road) and about a mile up on the right (a bit further up than Centrax Gas Turbines) was an open field with the bare requirements (TQ12 4TZ). No seating or cover as far as I remember.

The field was still there when I looked in a couple of years ago but with no evidence of it having hosted football as far as I could see. They were at Centrax in 87-88, but I do not know if they then moved away.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Dec 24, 2017, 6:02 PM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Dec 24, 2017, 5:46 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #3 of 6 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Newton Abbot/Dynamoes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The 1995 Directory says that the club had been at the Centrax Sports Ground for 24 years so as they were founded in 1964 presumably that means that they were there until 1988. They were at Coach Road in 1995.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Dec 24, 2017, 5:55 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #4 of 6 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Newton Abbot/Dynamoes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, the 1994 shows them still at Centrax so they must have moved to Coach Road in 1995 and in the early years from 1964 to 1970 played at a different ground to Centrax. Unless the Directory had not updated things................

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 24, 2017, 6:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 6 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Newton Abbot/Dynamoes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is much of interest on the Milber (Centrax) area here -

http://torquayfansforum.co.uk/thread/7104

TUFCJON
Youth Team Sub

Feb 5, 2018, 12:14 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Newton Abbot/Dynamoes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newton Abbot's last season in the South Western League (1988/89) was their first season at Coach Road. Facilities were very basic.

The Devon FA link-up came later.

The Devon FA 125th anniverary history says:

Following the brief stay at Wolborough Street it was agreed to work in consultation with Newton Abbot FC and Teignbridge District Council to develop the space available at Coach Road. The facilities at Coach Road at the time in early 1992 consisted of a sloping pitch and a clubhouse. With the drive of Chairman Brian Williams and the support of "Clerk of Works" Mervyn Benney they had a vision to construct a building that would give the Devon FA its very own offices and also support Newton Abbot FC by including new changing rooms, a level pitch, grandstand and floodlights for all of the parties to use and share.

(This post was edited by TUFCJON on Feb 5, 2018, 12:15 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3