First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #1 of 80 (7804 views)
Shortcut
Saturday December 23rd Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland League Division 3 GNP Sports 1 AFC Solihull 1 No admission charge or programme. Attendance 20.

Part of the huge Warwick University complex the facility is almost opposite where the old Coventry Sporting ground was and is a grass pitch in the middle of an athletics track with various other grass and 3G pitches close by. I joined five other members of the ground hopping community for a match which brought together first and third in the league. The game was a slow burner with the two sides cancelling each other out in the early stages. GNP got on top as the first half wore on but were thwarted by poor finishing and some excellent goalkeeping by the Solihull custodian. It was therefore a shock to see Solihull snatch the lead on the stroke of half time. This seemed to knock the steam out of GNP who offered little threat as the game wore on and became increasingly frustrated with four of their players getting cautioned by a superb referee who made it clear right from the off that we would stand for no nonsense. It seemed certain that GNP would lose their unbeaten league record but deep in stoppage time (94th minute) they somehow conjured up an equaliser to escape with a richly deserved point. Excellent badinage was enjoyed with Bill Berry, Villan, Dave 56, Dave Makins and fatboyfat and an enjoyable game flew by all the quicker. Home by 4.10 and first to post - not something I can say very often!

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

(This post was edited by totallyuntamed on Dec 23, 2017, 4:36 PM)

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 23, 2017, 4:38 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #2 of 80 (7801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Junior Cup Round Three Replay
Lochore Welfare v Forth Wanderers, 1-2, H.T. 0-2, Att c.65, Admission £6, Programme £1, Steak Pie, Bovril and Pint of Lager £5.50
At Central Park, Crosshill

Spoiled for choice today with the weather having turned significantly warmer – opted for this one on diplomatic grounds. Having done programmes for both Crossgates and Hill of Beath, both had invited me along for hospitality, so I thought it wise to turn down both. In the end I probably got the most exciting game of the three.

Neither Forth nor Lochore will win the Cup but if there were prizes for effort then they would be in with a great shout. They produced a ding dong Cup tie, short on finesse, but high on incident, commitment and excitement.

Kick off was delayed for a couple of minutes as one of the nets needed repaired -a Welfare committee man eventually taking off his tie and using it to tie the net in place. Then, just five minutes in we had a five minute stoppage when the Welfare centre half collided with his own goalkeeper. Both went down and were clearly in trouble – both had to be replaced. The keeper had his nose spread across his face as he was helped off and the defender appeared to not know if he was in Lochore or Lahore. No sub goalie was available so an outfield player had to take over in goals for Welfare.

I reckon a proper goalie would have stopped the two Forth goals before half time. For the first he was caught out at his near post by a low shot, and the second was powerfully struck but more or less went through the replacement custodian.

Lochore had a howling gale in their favour in the first half and it did not look good for them at half time. However, they took the game to Forth after the break and the wind was no advantage to Forth. Having got one goal back, Lochore threatened for an equaliser but it was not to be. Referee Barry Reid did well not to send anyone off as players tired and the tackles became clumsier and more reckless. Forth’s Assistant Manager was sent to the grass banking for some over zealous protestations.

The closing stages were played in driving rain and semi darkness but that did not take the gloss of a fine game.

Entry to the park is through the Social Club which is a very pleasant place to spend half an hour pre-match. Money taken at a table on the way out to the pitch. The £1 programme is a token effort with virtually nothing in it.

Excellent steak pies and extra strong Bovril in a proper mug were on sale from the hatch behind the goal.

Easy parking near the ground. Lochgelly train station is a 15 minute walk away – all downhill on the way to the game and uphill on the way back.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 23, 2017, 5:51 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 80 (7715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SJFA East Superleague
Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 3-2 Penicuik Athletic
New Dundas Park, Bonnyrigg
Admission £6/£3
Steak pie £1.70 - delicious
Attendance: 500

My original intention had been to take in one of several attractive Junior Cup ties in Fife but decided I couldn't face sharing the roads with all the lemmings in search of last minute Christmas tat (bah, humbug),

Instead, I settled for this Midlothian derby involving two of the championship contenders in the east. The car thermometer showed a crazy 13 degrees but a strong blustery wind created a significant wind chill.

This was my first visit of the season to New Dundas Park. Bonnyrigg certainly haven't been reckless with their share of the receipts from last season's Cup tie at Tynecastle, but the dugout area has been improved and their are 10 steps of concrete terracing in front of the pavilion and lounge.

Penicuik went ahead from the penalty spot in the first minute - following an offence spotted by no one in the ground other than the referee. 'Yon's a guid referee' chuckled the Cuikie fan next to me, in a rather post-ironic way. Bonnyrigg looked as if they were fresh back from the club's Christmas party, so wayward was their passing, but when I ventured out from the shelter of the enclosure it was clear the wind was playing havoc. Goalkicks were veering at all sorts of unlikely angles, much to the delight of the mutt in front of me, which followed the ball avidly and barked each time the ball was more than 10 feet in the air.

Rose equalised on 30 minutes with a wind assisted free kick which rocketed into the net from almost 30 yards. With 5 minutes to go to half time Cuikie were ahead again following a nice move down the left wing, but they couldn't hold onto their lead because a couple minutes later their keeper made a horlicks of catching a cross and presented the equaliser on a plate to Bonnyrigg.

Bonnyrigg's winner came after an hour and they held on to their lead fairly comfortably thereafter.

It wasn't the best game I've seen this season but the conditions were all against good football.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Dec 23, 2017, 5:55 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 23, 2017, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 80 (7677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National
Sutton United 1-3 Tranmere
Att 2,237, adm £15, prog £3 (double issue for today and New Year's Day)

Impressive performance and result for Rovers against the team sitting 2nd in the table. Two brilliant goals too - Buxton with a sublime free kick to give us an early lead then, on the stroke of half time, Jennings with a clean volley from outside the box to make it 2-1. That was a pivotal moment as Sutton were getting the upper hand after equalising, but from that point on they struggled to wrestle the initiative back. Rovers played the better football and created the better chances after the break while Sutton often resorted to long ball stuff - food and drink to our defence, who barely conceded a clear-cut chance. Still, it took until the last minute for my nerves to be settled, Cook squeezing the ball home after being neatly put through by Banks.

Big, big three points continues a great run of form and sets up nicely for the holiday period - though we could write the book on what could possibly go wrong next!

Didn't notice any changes to the ground since last season, though it's worth noting that the superb old club shop - which was a real treasure trove - is now, apart from a few old books and programmes, just a bog standard replica kit/souvenir shop.

Car parking is tricky. The club car park isn't for general use (unless you're here for a Sutton Common Rovers home game) and all the nearby streets are residential - no restrictions, it's just hard to find a space. Worth considering taking the train, with West Sutton station just a couple of minutes walk away and the mainline Sutton station just over a mile away back in the town.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Dec 23, 2017, 6:59 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 6:14 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #5 of 80 (7639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Knaphill 1 Camberley Town 1 (HT 0-1)
Combined Counties League, Premier Division
Admission £7
Programme £1.50 (32pp, glossy and colourful, the best I've seen in this league)
Attendance 108 (per Knaphill Twitter feed)
Refreshments available (didn't sample)

Ten-man Knaphill equalised in the third minute of stoppage time to salvage a point against high-flying neighbours Camberley. Diminutive sub Danny Taylor, unmarked at the back post, tapped in a low cross to delight the home fans. There was scarcely time for the visitors to restart. Knappers centre-back George Rowley was sent off in the 41st minute: two late tackles deservedly resulted in two yellow cards. Camberley, who had taken the lead six minutes earlier, through a Marcus Cousins header, following up a block by keeper Jordan Clement, were left to rue several squandered chances, particularly in the second half. Freddie Kelsey and Cousins both wasted one-on-ones. Knaphill, whose delivery from set-pieces and crosses was simply dreadful, rarely threatened, though in the eighth minute Charlie Smith struck a post from inside the six-yard box. The visitors' central defenders won everything in the air.

Very impressed with the set-up at Redding Way, on the edge of the pretty Brookwood Country Park, which provided an extremely pleasant pre-match stroll. Lovely to amble along the Basingstoke Canal towpath, next to ponds, with overhanging trees reflecting in the still water. The ground has four areas of cover, two of them all-seat kit stands, and a cracking little clubhouse, at the near end. Excellent pictorial displays on the walls of the latter. If anything, it was too warm inside! Good use of the club's attractive badge, and in-house slogans, on signage around the tree-fringed ground.

Despite now being completely grey on top, former QPR and England midfielder Gerry Francis was an instantly recognisable spectator. I was told he watches grandson Adam play for Camberley.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 263; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 23, 2017, 6:38 PM)

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 23, 2017, 6:23 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #6 of 80 (7595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Bovril and Pint of Lager £5.50

Not in the same glass I hopeLaugh

stingray
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 6:36 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #7 of 80 (7556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
STOTFOLD 2-3 LEIGHTON TOWN
Admission £6.00 Programme £1.00 2x Tea £1.60
Attendance EDIT - 85 as per Full Time

Our first League outing since the debacle at Holmer Green (one Vase game and two postponements) and we started much the brighter side although it might have been more enjoyable if both sides hadn't seemed to have overdosed on Mogadon. Unfortunately, as the pace eventually picked up, Stotfold came more and more into it and eventually took the lead with a very low overhead kick before deservedly doubling it and seemingly exorcising the ghost of the egg-cup result here last month.

Thankfully after this we seemed to wake up and a missed penalty didn't stop us pulling one back before half time which due to injuries and general time wasting was delayed by six minutes and in the second half we completed the unlikeliest of comebacks with an apparent equaliser for Stotfold ruled out.

"Utterly bloody robbed," was the reaction of a Stotfold stooge. No, it was because you ran out of ideas and steam.

59 goals in 16 games
£157.50 spent.

(This post was edited by stingray on Dec 23, 2017, 7:26 PM)

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Dec 23, 2017, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #8 of 80 (7533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evo-Stik Southern Premier
The Camrose
Basingstoke Town 0 Royston Town 0
Admission: £12 Programme: Issued but not taken Attendance: 293

I decided to venture up to the heady heights of Step 3 and to tick off my closest Step 3 venue instead of watching Melksham at Odd Down and sort of wished I hadn't bothered at the end of the day.
A bitterly cold afternoon and a game lacking a lot of quality saw me pull a pair of spectacles...only my 3rd this season.
Royston seemed set up not to lose this and the Stokies didn't have the nous or commitment to break them down. Too many mis-controls and stray passes at this level for my taste and the quality of finishing and final ball was poor from both.
Not that the crowd weren't served up some exciting moments - the woodwork was hit 3 times and both keepers had to make very good saves...but it all felt a bit flat and I left underwhelmed.
A good win for my team but (as usual) all their close rivals won too...so, "as you were". Easy drive back on A303/342/365.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 100 Goals: 394 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 58

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2017, 6:46 PM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #9 of 80 (7521 views)
Shortcut

I was also in the Woking suburbs this afternoon for:

Combined Counties League Div 1
Sheerwater 0-2 Raynes Park Vale

Admission & Decent Prog £5
H/C: 35
Tea £1

A bit of a shock result as 2nd placed home side just didn't look like they were out of 2nd gear. There was little to excite and warm up the faithful in the first half, the best effort coming right on half time when Sheerwater played a smart 1-2 but the effort crashed against the post.

Opening 20 minutes of the 2nd half, the hosts were all over the place and the visitors took advantage twice, a quick breakaway on 48 minutes and a penalty which comes under the category of I've seen them given as the forward goes over the advancing keeper.

Sheerwater then started playing a bit, but lacked any real penetrative cutting edge today and the visitors were able to see the game out fairly comfortably.

The ground's been reported on several times before, so I wont add to it here except to say they have for an athletics stadium at least tried to make an identity of their own here.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2017, 6:54 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #10 of 80 (7497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday 23rd December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

York Football League, Premier Division

Dunnington 1-1 Huntington Rovers

Venue: Common Road / Attendance: 45 (h/c)

A keenly fought contest, on a rather dull afternoon.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

Trevor P
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 7:11 PM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #11 of 80 (7422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

DRAYCOTT 1
Cheddar Reserves 1
Somerset County League, Division Two
Att : 85
Draycott Recreation Ground, Cheddar Road (A371)
Admission : Free. Programme : No. Refreshments : No, but the Cider Barn Cafe/Bar next to the ground was selling hot drinks & snacks

Quite a few games off locally because of waterlogging and the casualties included Cheddar's 1st. team fixture. The grounds are only about a mile apart, so it wasn't surprising that a significant number of visiting supporters turned up to support the Cheesemen just down the road where there were no pitch problems and an excellent contest took place between the 7th. & 3rd. placed teams in the table.

Draycott had the better of things generally during the first period and led at half time thanks to a low shot from the left which whistled into the right hand corner after 18 minutes. The home players stayed on the field during the break, but Cheddar Reserves headed back to the dressing-rooms for some heavy verbals before someone was tasked with the job of hoiking them out!

Draycott were soon under pressure as the second half got under way and Cheddar started to control things, forcing several corners and testing the keeper a few times before the equaliser came after a 64th. minute goalmouth scramble. After that, both sides appeared to run out of steam a little and seemed to have settled on the draw well before the end.

One or two posters have already described this pleasant location with the War Memorial Hall in one corner where there's a tarmac car-park at the end of a short entrance drive. Diagonally opposite at the "Village End", there'a small dressing-room building just inside the metal pedestrian entrance gates. Behind the goal at that end there's a section of wooden covered standing with a wooden bench close by. Before the kick-off, the home players put up the goal nets & corner flags and also positioned ropes through staves around the pitch. Collapsible dugouts and seats were put in place to complete the transformation from field to "proper" ground. Definitely recommended!

(This post was edited by Trevor P on Dec 23, 2017, 7:14 PM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 23, 2017, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #12 of 80 (7410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Saturday 23rd December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UCL Prem.

Kirby Muxloe 5 Rothwell Corinthians 0.

An easy win to get back on track without really playing well, hey i'd take it every week. A Tinsley treble led the way.

Short on staff today so there's nothing like making a fool of ones self by questioning why the officials are claiming so little in exes when non travelled together.2 linos from within five miles of ground certainly helped.Hey i'd take that every week as well.

Dave 56
Reserve Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 7:16 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #13 of 80 (7402 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Midland League Division 3 GNP Sports 1 AFC Solihull 1 No admission charge or programme. Attendance 20.

Part of the huge Warwick University complex the facility is almost opposite where the old Coventry Sporting ground was and is a grass pitch in the middle of an athletics track with various other grass and 3G pitches close by. I joined five other members of the ground hopping community for a match which brought together first and third in the league. The game was a slow burner with the two sides cancelling each other out in the early stages. GNP got on top as the first half wore on but were thwarted by poor finishing and some excellent goalkeeping by the Solihull custodian. It was therefore a shock to see Solihull snatch the lead on the stroke of half time. This seemed to knock the steam out of GNP who offered little threat as the game wore on and became increasingly frustrated with four of their players getting cautioned by a superb referee who made it clear right from the off that we would stand for no nonsense. It seemed certain that GNP would lose their unbeaten league record but deep in stoppage time (94th minute) they somehow conjured up an equaliser to escape with a richly deserved point. Excellent badinage was enjoyed with Bill Berry, Villan, Dave 56, Dave Makins and fatboyfat and an enjoyable game flew by all the quicker. Home by 4.10 and first to post - not something I can say very often!

-------------------
As mentioned, also at this. Very good standard for a division 3 game. Completes the four main divisions of this league once again.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 7:52 PM

Post #14 of 80 (7205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mardy 0 Rhymney 5

Mardy Park: Autocentres Gwent County League Third Division

This was my first visit to Mardy Park since I watched the second-half of a pre-season encounter with Newport and District League club Croesyceiliog Athletic back in July. The ground has not changed during that time but the club have put added a new to the side of the changing rooms welcoming visitors to Mardy Park. Despite the pitch being simply railed and possessing dugouts, it provides some good views of the surrounding countryside and nearby hills, given that Mardy is located to the northern edge of Abergavenny. The pitch was in fairly decent condition on arrival, despite finding ourselves in the middle of winter, and played reasonably well during the course of the 90 minutes. The home team came into this fixture propping up the Third Division table, with just a single league victory thus far this term, and in danger of being relegated to the Gwent Central League at the end of the campaign. Mardy's last outing resulted in a 4-2 defeat at last term's Gwent Central League champions Usk Town. Rhymney would provide stern opposition for the hosts as they found themselves in sixth place in the table and the Eisteddfod Field outfit's previous outing a fortnight ago resulted in a 6-2 surprise victory at Second Division Pill in the Gwent Amateur Cup Third Round.

Rhymney nearly broke the deadlock in the 11th minute but headed a corner into the side netting at the far post before the hosts headed a deep free-kick into the penalty area straight at the visiting custodian 10 minutes later. The Mardy goalkeeper parried a 25 yard shot behind for a corner in the 27th minute before the visitors broke the deadlock eight minutes before the interval when a cross from the right was converted at the far post. Rhymney nearly doubled their advantage on the stroke of half-time when a free-kick was headed back across the goal mouth and a good opportunity to score was missed from close range. Mardy lost a player to a red card for a lunging challenge, 10 minutes after the break, and it was always going to be an uphill challenge with the home team missing several first choice players. The visitors struck a 20 yard free-kick straight at the Mardy goalkeeper in the 58th minute before a home defender blocked a volley from close range after a surging run into penalty area by a Rhymney player eight minutes later. The visitors finally doubled their lead in the 68th minute after the Mardy defence failed to deal with a long thrown into their penalty area before a Rhymney player blazed over from close range after the hosts failed to clear a corner properly. A third goal arrived when a Rhymney forward latched on to a 74th minute through ball and nicked the ball past the advancing home goalkeeper. The visitors struck an upright from an ambitious overhead kick four minutes later before heading over from the subsequent cross but went on to net two late goals. Rhymney found the net from the edge of the penalty after the home defence partially cleared an 88th minute corner before a deflected shot from a similiar distance fooled the Mardy custodian four minutes later.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 463
Matches: 104.5
New Grounds: 12

chesterbird
Youth Team Sub

Dec 23, 2017, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #15 of 80 (7194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NATIONAL LEAGUE
FC HALIFAX TOWN 4 CHESTER 0
£18 ADM £3 PROG
GATE 2040

The yearly expensive trip to the Shay!!!! Went with Brian my brother.

Halifax dominated the game. They were ahead on 6 minutes - typically I went to get something to eat and missed it! 3 more goals came on 28, 33 and game over for Chester. Some of the away fans were a bunch of idiots trying to cause trouble. Chester were absolutely dreadful and deserved to get beaten.

Dr Love
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 7:55 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #16 of 80 (7185 views)
Shortcut

Halifax Town 4-0 Chester
Conference National

All the goals in the first half when most of the chances on offer were converted. Not quite as one sided as the scoreline might suggest, but fairly comfortable in the second half. A rare comfortable Halifax win these days. Can't complain.

Shepdyn
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 23, 2017, 8:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 80 (7148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UCL Prem Div
At Wigston Road
Oadby Town v Yaxley
In £3(NHS concession)
Prog £1
Bar and snack bar open
Att 60 circa
H/T 0-0
F/T 1-3

OT succumbed to another league defeat though had they made more of their opportunities in front of goal.......
Yaxley workmanlike,did what they needed to do and not much else.

The Other Window--Live music promoters based in Leicester-- Psych/Stoner/Kraut/Doom/Drone/Electronica/Industrial/Noise/Punk/DIY/Kosmische

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2017, 8:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 80 (7080 views)
Shortcut

Felixstowe 1-1 Haverhill Rovers
ECL Prem Div
Att 355

Our home record now reads
P 13 W 12 D 1, we're now only 14 points clear of Coggeshall who have four games in hand and are absolutely flying at the moment.
Haverhill always looked dangerous when they got men forward and went in one up at the break. We came out strongly at the start of the 2nd half and soon equalised.
From then on we had the better of things, but it wasn't until ten minutes from the end when it should have been over. We were awarded a penalty but we missed it.
At the end we will feel we should have won it, and they'll feel they deserved a draw.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Dec 23, 2017, 8:22 PM

Post #19 of 80 (7036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shepdyn] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sydenhams Wessex League Premier Division
Bemerton Heath Harlequins 0 Portland United 0
Admission: £3 concession
Programme: £1 – see below
Teams: The ubiquitous Sydenhams League white-board was eventually discovered perched on a dustbin by the turnstile …
Refreshments: burger ‘n tea £3 from the hatch, J2O ‘n crisps £2.80 from the bar.
Attendance: 41 (league website)

With the virtually complete shutdown of local rugby and soccer leagues until January, and not wishing to travel too far today, I’d had my eye on Castle Cary v Keynsham Town Reserves in the Somerset League as one of the few reasonable options available, but that game apparently went south this morning; thanks here to derekn for posting a heads-up about it on the Games Off thread and saving me a wasted journey. So, a rather mundane Plan B tidy-up job ensued - ticking the Western Way ground of Bemerton Heath Harlequins.

The ground is on the western edge of the city, about two miles from the centre, and adjacent to the now closed Quidhampton chalk mining quarry. To access by car, it’s a question of turning off the A36 Salisbury – Wilton road by the railway over-bridge into Pembroke Road and then left into Western Way which eventually peters out into a track running down to the football ground’s car park. There seems to be a frequent bus service running along the road at the top of the bank behind the clubhouse (Rawlence Road), so public transport looks an option.

The stadium, which is in a natural bowl and surrounded on three sides by towering lines of conifers, (some look like they’re over 40’ tall), has a dark, very enclosed feel, especially on a cold, grey afternoon like today. Turnstile entrance from the car-park brings you behind the clubhouse goal; there’s two sturdy covered stands down the left-hand touchline, one of which has bucket seats, and a raised standing area lies between them. The clubhouse is a rabbit-warren of corridors and rooms on two levels, with the Boardroom having a balcony overlooking the pitch. The tea hatch is located in a gloomy gangway between bar and the hardstanding behind the near goal.

As for the programme, it’s a generic 24pp glossy black & white advertising shell with a 4pp match specific insert, the latter merely giving teams and upcoming fixtures. I had found a pile of copies of what I thought were team-sheets in the Boardroom in the clubhouse before the game, but these turned out to be identical to the programme insert, and it soon became obvious they were somewhat inaccurate (only 25 name and positional changes!). The generic shell does contain a club history, list of honours, and a league table, although for some unfathomable reason, this turned out to be the final Wessex League table for 2013/14 …..

Oh, and it’s supply yer own staples.

I’ve said all that because there’s little to say about the match. My fourth goal-less draw this season. A somewhat robust affair, with Portland, shall we say,the robustier, and their centre-half Buckler duly received his marching orders for a second yellow on 83m. An even first half, BHH more on top in the second half, a few viable chances created by both sides, but both keepers equal to the task. It would have been a reasonable enough match in warmer weather conditions, but today, by midway through the second half, I was just looking forward to getting back in the car, getting the heater on, and getting home ....

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Dec 23, 2017, 8:26 PM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 80 (7009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Squires Gate 2-2 Winsford......NWCL Prem....Adm £6
Had a few irons in the fire for today but with Southport Hesketh being postponed, decided to head south 8 miles to School Lane and park up. Our intended game was Wren Rovers followed by the second half at Squires next door. The Wrens game was advertised earlier in the day, but a follow up post on Twitter said it was now off. No problem, stayed in the same car park and went to Squires Gate instead, on the adjacent pitch....no issues with that one.
The last time I visited was the previous Managers final game for Squires Gate, they were rooted bottom of the League. Since then they've turned the corner and now sit 13th.
Winsford started the better today going ahead on 17 minutes this was cancelled out on 35 minutes with a ball over the advancing keeper. Winsford should have been ahead but Squires were proving hard to shake off.
The second half was an open affair, Winsford would press and Squires Gate would have a go on the break. Winsford took the lead again from close range through their No6 and could have made it 1-3 but the ball was adjudged to have not crossed the line. On 74 min's it was 2-2, the second of the day for the home No 9. The Winsford fans were disappointed not to have got all three points today but fair play to Squires Gate there's more fight in them these days.
An overcast and mild afternoon in the south of Blackpool, always looked like rain, but never did. The usual bunch of Hoppers from Fleetwood in attendance chewing the cud on the Fleetwood sides poor performances of late.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Sub

Dec 23, 2017, 8:38 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #21 of 80 (6950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EvoStik South
Cleethorpes Town 0 Frickley Athletic 1
Att: 252 Adm: season ticket Prog: £1.50 Raffle: £1

A depressing afternoon for the Clee faithful as they were muscled out of it by a robust Frickley.

The visitors were effective but not pretty to watch. Throughout the 90 minutes, whenever they won a throw-in within 30 yards of goal, the ball was hurled in to the edge of the six yard area. This tactic provided the winning goal with 5 minutes remaining when the home defence could not clear.

No complaints from me as the score was fair on the balance of play. Clee need to find a way to cope with the more direct style that many teams adopt in this league.

The Owls tried to play their football but never really offered enough and the flying start to the season is now becoming a distant memory. However, having attended a fans' forum earlier in the week, I am more than satisfied that the club is heading in the right direction.

Very much a learning curve for Clee this season and a Boxing Day derby in Lincoln is another fixture to relish.

(This post was edited by CleethorpesOggy on Dec 23, 2017, 8:41 PM)

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2017, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #22 of 80 (6903 views)
Shortcut

SkyBet Championship
Bolton Wanderers 2 Cardiff City 0
Attendance 15,344
Admission by season ticket

What a difference a week makes. After an utterly dismal 1-0 home defeat to fellow strugglers Burton Albion, seven days later Bolton were unrecognisable as they sent second placed Cardiff packing with a minimum of fuss.

Although it took until the 74th minute for Bolton to go in front, defeat never looked on the cards and it was just a case of whether we’d manage to get our noses in front. I don’t know whether it was a case of Bolton playing well or Cardiff playing poorly, but either way to be facing the side who are in second spot at Christmas and restrict them to not a single shot on target in the 90 (97) minutes is something to very much be proud of.

‪I’d almost forgotten how much of a vengeful little tosspot Neil Warnock is until about 3.01pm today. A team built in his image, little shithouse fouls all over the place then spit their dummy out when it doesn’t go their way.

"When you come up against a side like Bolton you need a strong referee and I think he was weak today. I thought some of the challenges were horrendous early doors and I think we've had more bookings than them.” Yes, ‘Colin’ those extra bookings would be with good reason. Ecuele Manga came up with a shocking lunge on Sammy Ameobi that would have undoubtedly been a red card anywhere else on the field, slamming his studs in to Ameobi’s shin as the ball went out for a goal kick. The whole thing was epitomised by Lee Tomlin coming off the bench on 78 minutes but then subbed in added time because Warnock “could see what [Karl] Henry and Pratley were doing to wind him up and get him sent off”. Must have been watching a different player given Tomlin spent his 15 minutes on the pitch kicking anything but the ball whilst diving around whenever he was in possession within 5 yards of a Bolton player. Always enjoyable to get one over such a dislikeable team whilst extending Colin’s record of never winning at Bolton in his entire managerial career. Almost as enjoyable as when Warnock’s Bury team were thumped 4-0 at the Reebok in 1998.

Quite a mild afternoon in Leigh so only took a light jacket and no winter woolies, showing a blatant disregard for the 24/7 windchill factor of the Macron. The Bovril went down a treat as the temperature dropped. Parked free of charge on the neighbouring retail park as always, this time missing the post-match traffic with an excellent meal at Frankie & Benny’s and showing a bit of bravery with a visit to Asda at this time of year.

Happy Christmas one and all.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 23, 2017, 8:47 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #23 of 80 (6893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Snodland Town 3 Holmesdale 2
SCEFL Div 1. Att: 48 (H/c)
Admission £5 , Programme £1 , 20 pages well produced and enough decent content. Plus free mince pie offered (And accepted) at the gate.

It was a last minute decision to go here as I was concerned about the Dartford River Crossing and the traffic going to either of the vast shopping centres either side of the river. My concerns were unfounded though as having checked the varying online reports, the roads were flowing freely and so it proved, and my first choice was visited.
I have to say I am glad the roads behaved as they did as those present were served up a treat. Two decent sides who liked to play the ball about and were committed but disciplined made for an entertaining encounter that was well controlled by Mr Smart, the most chilled out ref I have seen in years.
The visitors dominated early without threatening too many times, but it was Snodland who took the lead on the Half hour with a penalty well struck to the keepers right, and just evaded his grasp. The pen was awarded for a handball from a right wing cross, which from my (Distant) view seemed harsh, but drew little in complaint from the Holmesdale players. Five minutes into the second half Holmesdale equalised when the hosts lost the ball in midfield and the visiting striker scored with a low shot from the edge of the box to the keepers left. Snodland however then regained the lead with half an hour to go with a firm header from an excellent right wing cross and the lead was added to 15 minutes from time when a home striker got through, the keeper foiled him, but the loose ball was rammed home first time from the edge of the box. Just as we thought Snodland would go and score more, a left wing cross was headed in from close range by a visiting striker and it was 3-2 which is how it stayed with Snodland seeing the game out fairly easily. Both teams played their part in a good game, and Holmesdale for their part were superb until the final third when it seemed to go to pieces other than for their goals.
Potyns Sports Ground is fairly basic, but a pleasant venue. The changing rooms are located in the community centre which is about 100 yards from the pitch which is fully enclosed. A small recently extended arena stand on the far side is the only cover, the remainder being hard standing. By the stand is a small shed where hot and cold drinks and food including more mince pies were available. The floodlights were among the best I have seen at this level.
In addition, the welcome we received here was fantastic. Upon arrival in the car park, a gent approached us and advised us where everything was and that set the tone really well as it seemed everyone connected with Snodland were friendly and very proud of their set up. This is a highly recommended visit.

noprogs
First Team Regular

Dec 23, 2017, 9:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 80 (6776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Abbey Hulton U 3 FC Oswestry T 0
North West Counties League 1
Admission £5, Programme £2

Two goals in the last ten minutes gave Abbey a more comfortable win than looked likely for most of the match, their other goal coming in the first five minutes.
Oswestry played ok in the rest of the first half, but for long enough the only goal seemed to be the limit of the scoring.
The ground is very much a work in progress, with cover presently restricted to one seated area; the base for a second has now been laid. Only access to two sides of the ground too.
A special word for the club officials who couldn't have been more friendly, and for the catering, the savoury pancake, described as a Staffordshire oatcake which was excellent.

Hornchurchspur
Youth Team Sub

Dec 23, 2017, 9:20 PM

Post #25 of 80 (6692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday December 23rd [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evostik South East
Ashford Town (Middx) 1 Cambridge City 2
Admission free Attendance 193

There wasn't much to choose between the teams in a fairly uneventful first half although both sides missed good chances just before the break. Ashford went ahead early in the second period when a flick on from a corner was headed in at the far post. Cambridge City hit back immediately as captain Paterson drove home strongly from the edge of the area and took the lead two minutes later when James Hall was put through with a clever flick and coolly lobbed the advancing keeper. Ashford seemed to lose their way after this setback and City's tall centre back pairing were able to deal with a diet of long balls and throws reasonably comfortably.

Free admission at today's match attracted a better than average attendance to this friendly club boosted by a decent following from Cambridge. Special mention to the tea bar which was serving food of an excellent quality.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3