Henley Town have pulled there Team out of the Hellenic League

Atavistic
Youth Team Regular

Dec 5, 2017, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #2 of 6 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DJM61] Henley Town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking at how things have gone for them this season, it isn't essentially surprising, but it is unfortunate that it's come to this. Good to know before I possibly ended up going there on Saturday, though.

Yaxley FC Programme Editor

2017/18 (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 11 (Most Recent: Ascot United)
Games: 16
Goals: 59
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.69
0-0s: 0

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

Rebel Yeller
Youth Team Sub

Dec 6, 2017, 1:52 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Henley Town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They nearly stopped playing towards the end of last season after the move of Finchampstead's manager ( and presumably most of his players) fell through in what appeared to be acrimonious circumstances. It was stated then that certain members of the board wanted to revert to local football. After a long silence they announced they were starting this season in the Hellenic, but presumably those board members have now got their way and Henley's reserves ( if they have some) will become the first team.

It's sad news, but not a huge surprise. Interestingly, with a lot of non-floodlight teams in the Hellenic Division One's, it's quite possible that Henley wouldn't have gone down even if they had finished rock bottom. Perhaps this was a factor.

TC of Berks
Junior Team Star

Dec 6, 2017, 4:42 PM

Team(s): East Berks

Post #4 of 6 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Henley Town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the HL statement, Henley's record will be expunged. Most teams have played them once though feel for Chalfont Wasps who lose 6 points (there's a revised table in our story here: https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/...ned-hellenic-league/).

I don't know much about the situation at Henley but seems there have been problems for awhile. A massive shame considering they were promoted to the HLP and won the Reading Senior Cup in 2016!

The club have since stated it was due to 'financial issues' but like Atavistic says I don't think it's a huge surprise unfortunately.

Co-editor of FootballinBracknell - covering the game from Sunday League to semi-pro in East Berkshire.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 6, 2017, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #5 of 6 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TC of Berks] Henley Town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
According to the HL statement, Henley's record will be expunged. Most teams have played them once though feel for Chalfont Wasps who lose 6 points (there's a revised table in our story here: https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/...ned-hellenic-league/).

I don't know much about the situation at Henley but seems there have been problems for awhile. A massive shame considering they were promoted to the HLP and won the Reading Senior Cup in 2016!

The club have since stated it was due to 'financial issues' but like Atavistic says I don't think it's a huge surprise unfortunately.

Are Henley Town actually folding as a result of this resignation, or are the club going in 'abeyance' for the rest of this season, with a view to rejoining the Hellenic League for the 2018-19 season. Or maybe joining the Oxfordshire Senior League or Thames Valley League?

I do hope they aren't completely gone. Its a shame that when so many ex-Hellenic sides are rejoining the league after a while out (Abingdon Town, Bicester, Wallingford etc) that one of their longest serving clubs goes.

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2017, 4:38 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #6 of 6 (637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Henley Town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see Henley Town have a reserve side in one of thr lower divisions of the Thames Valley Premier League and they are still showing in the table on the TVPL's Full Time site, so hopefully they stay put, and that acts as the club's continuation and gateway back to the Hellenic at some point.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3