Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Southern League Reserve section 1970s

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Dec 7, 2017, 3:13 PM

Post #1 of 6 (687 views)
Shortcut
Southern League Reserve section 1970s Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm once again hunting for obscure League tables, this time the Southern League Reserve section. This name was possibly misleading since I can only discover that it involved s few clubs in the midlands and not the whole League. The two years I'm looking for are 1972/3 and 1973/4. In 72/3 the clubs consisted of Bedford, Kettering, Bletchley Town, Wellingborough, Corby, Cambridge City, Stevenage (?Town), and Dunstable. I have a table up to about the end of Feb but nothing after that, although I know that Bedford were top in April and may have won it. In 73/4 Banbury and Witney replaced Bletchley and Cambridge City, but otherwise the teams were the same. For this season however I can't find any results after late September. It's possible the competition wasn't completed. But if anyone has any tables please I'd be happy to hear from you.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2017, 10:33 AM

Post #2 of 6 (524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldeagle] Southern League Reserve section 1970s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In 73/4 Banbury and Witney replaced Bletchley and Cambridge City...

I have contacted the Banbury programme editor who can find no record of the club ever having been in a SL reserve section. In 73-74 they entered a reserve team in the Oxon Senior League.

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Dec 8, 2017, 12:03 PM

Post #3 of 6 (485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Southern League Reserve section 1970s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
In 73/4 Banbury and Witney replaced Bletchley and Cambridge City...

I have contacted the Banbury programme editor who can find no record of the club ever having been in a SL reserve section. In 73-74 they entered a reserve team in the Oxon Senior League.

Thanks Mr T. It's quite possible that the competition fell through in that season. I only know of one result (Bedford 1 Kettering 0 in September) and it may have been abandoned before Banbury played any matches. It does seem to have been completed the previous season.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2017, 4:34 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #4 of 6 (416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldeagle] Southern League Reserve section 1970s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was pretty active watching SL football at the time and it's the
first time that I've heard of a reserve section.

You had the Eastern Floodlight League in the South East, which
began in 1964-65 and included all the obvious suspects before
later casting a wider net to encapsulate Boston United and then
expanding further still - south of the Thames - around 1975ish?

The Midland Floodlight League was similar I believe, with both
technically first team competitions but with many a side playing
youth and reserve players - a bit like today's FA Cup really.

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

NeilH
Youth Team Regular

Dec 9, 2017, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #5 of 6 (305 views)
Shortcut

I have most of Cambridge City's results in this competition but no league table. Would be interested to see what the table looks like at the end of February.

Do you have the date for the BT reserves v CC reserves?

Results I have attached.

Additional comment is that 'The City Story' (published 1991) gave a summary of all reserve team league records and for 1972-73 showed P14 W5 D4 L5 F29 A25. Quite different to what I have gleaned over time from the local press and programmes. No league table in the book but a note that City reserves finished 4th.

(This post was edited by NeilH on Dec 9, 2017, 9:23 PM)
Attachments: SL RS.xlsx (28.0 KB)

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Dec 10, 2017, 7:50 PM

Post #6 of 6 (172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Southern League Reserve section 1970s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have most of Cambridge City's results in this competition but no league table. Would be interested to see what the table looks like at the end of February.

Do you have the date for the BT reserves v CC reserves?

Results I have attached.

Additional comment is that 'The City Story' (published 1991) gave a summary of all reserve team league records and for 1972-73 showed P14 W5 D4 L5 F29 A25. Quite different to what I have gleaned over time from the local press and programmes. No league table in the book but a note that City reserves finished 4th.

Thanks Neil.
I have a few Bedford programmes from 72/3 and the only table I can find is in a programme dated 26 Feb. It only gives Played-Won-Points, as follows:

Bedford 8-6-12
Corby 8-4-11
Stevenage 6-3-8
Wellingborough 8-3-8
Cambridge City 9-3-8
Bletchley 8-2-6
Dunstable 8-1-6
Kettering 9-1-5

There is no fixture list or list of results and I can't trace when the outstanding Cambridge City match was played.
However the last programme I have, dated 23 April, says that Bedford were still top, with two games to play, home and away v Corby.
I will have to hunt further in the Bedfordshire papers but that won't be until after Xmas, If I find any more I'll post it on here. THanks for your interest and if anyone else can help I'd be glad to hear from them,

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3