Tuesday 5th December 2017

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DaveH
Junior Team Star

Dec 6, 2017, 12:58 PM

Team(s): St Ives Town FC

Post #26 of 38 (1995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Kettering Town 4 St. Ives Town 1 (Evo-Stik League South Premier)
Adm. £10 Prog. £2.50 Att. 499

The first time I have seen Kettering this season and they looked useful, albeit against lowly opposition.
The first half was relatively even with Kettering just about deserving their 1-0 lead. The second was much more one sided, with only missed chances keeping the score down.
St. Ives late consolation goal was a strange one, a long shot that looked where I was sitting to have gone over the bar, but instead deceived the keeper and went in.
This may well be one of the last occasions when I go to a midweek match at Kettering as there are major cuts to bus services looming due to the ending of all County Council subsidies.

Also at this. Nothing else to add on the match side of things. A grim but expected evening.

I bought a can of coke from the bar at half time, took and opened in the ground and found a steward coming up to me telling me that cans weren't allowed inside the ground and I had to put it in to a paper cup! first time that's happened to me at this level, but not surprised it was at 'big time Charlie's' Kettering!

Rebel Yeller
Youth Team Sub

Dec 6, 2017, 2:21 PM

Post #27 of 38 (1865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveH] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CCL Premier Challenge Cup

Knaphill 2 Kensington Borough 0

Attendance - h/c 30
Entrance £7. Programme £1.50 ( nice and glossy but virtually no content)
Weather - 10C so mild for December, a slight breeze.

Knaphill's is a pleasant ground on the edge of the Brookwood Country Park. At one end is the clubhouse/changing rooms, a fairly substantial building adorned by 68 solar panels ( Dale Vince would surely approve ). A small stand on either side provides the required seat numbers for Step 5, but there's not much cover. Ample parking outside the ground.

This was a closer game than might have been expected, with 29 places in the CCL between them. The first half was pretty even and well matched, even after Knaphill took the lead on 29 with a header from Rapley directly from a corner. The second half was much more eventful. On 53 KB were awarded a penalty following a handball during a goalmouth melee. Unfortunately Marques's kick was poor and was saved easily. After that things got a little feisty and the ref came under a lot of pressure, especially from KB, whose discipline became a bit frayed. Knaphill sub Taylor banged a good second on 68 to effectively settle the match. KB felt hard done by and this led on 73 to a coming together of Kersley of Knaphill and Zeratzion of KB, who both departed for an early bath. We still had one missed penalty to come - on 88, when goalscorer Taylor blasted it over after it was awarded for handball.

Knaphill move into the last 8 of this cup. A mention must go to Knaphill sub Shawn Lyle, who came on with short black hair on top and a long blonde ponytail hanging down his neck. Quite startling !

Bradshaw
Youth Team Regular

Dec 6, 2017, 3:08 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #28 of 38 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After a weekend watching three La Liga games in Madrid (post in International hopping) it's back on more familiar ground this evening.
Tuesday Dec 5th
Northern Premier Lge Prem Div
Nantwich T. 2-0 Stourbridge
Att 208
A truly awful performance from Stourbridge who can see the play off places slipping further out of reach while this was a valuable and thoroughly deserved three points to help the Dabbers move away from the danger zone. Goals came from well struck drives from Harry Clayton on 25 minutes and substitute Jordan Cole on 67 minutes. But it could have been a whole lot worse for the Glassboys as they twice booted efforts off the line and were thankful there was no goalline technology on hand to confirm home appeals that an early effort had rebounded from the bar and crossed the line.

bagman
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 6, 2017, 6:37 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #29 of 38 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bostik North Division

Mildenhall Town 0 v 0 Bury Town

Admission £5 OAP
Programme £1.50
Attendance 253

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2017/18 Season = 24
Last New Ground :Mildenhall Town 5th December 2017

Wortley Fulham
Junior Team Sub

Dec 6, 2017, 6:44 PM

Team(s): Fulham

Post #30 of 38 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at this.

Recompleting the NCEL again.

I paid £1.50 for a full colour programme? Must have been the one referred too?

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 6, 2017, 7:46 PM

Post #31 of 38 (1453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wortley Fulham] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Easington Sports 2 Headington Amateurs 1
Hellenic League.Division One.West

Its been many a year since I have seen a match at the Addison Road ground of Easington Sports.My memory is of a railed off pitch and nothing else.Well,there has been a lot of work done since my previous visit and its now a decent set-up.Fully enclosed with hard standing on two sides plus a small stand.The ground now has floodlights and this was a rare opportunity to see the second team in Banbury play.
A decent game with Easington scoring after just one minute.Headington equalised early in the second half but the homesters got the winner near the end.
Good value for £3,including programme plus the added bonus of a 7.30 kick-off with the game finishing at 9.15 which is very much a rarity thesedays.Smile

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Dec 6, 2017, 8:02 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #32 of 38 (1420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wortley Fulham] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Birmingham Senior Cup First Round Rushall Olympic 3 Coventry City 1 Car Park £1 Admission £3 (concession) Programme £2 (superb; more reading than a short book!) Bacon Roll £2.50 Tea £1. Attendance 169. Kick off 7.52.

My first visit to Dales Lane since Rushall beat Malvern Town 4-2 sometime before the 1987-8 season (the programme doesn't even give a month for the match yet alone a day or season). I can't remember a thing about the ground, but clearly the club have done well since then as they are in the Northern Premier League Premier Division and were worthy winners against a fairly strong Coventry side.The ground has been steadily improved with various accretions over the years. There is a large area of open standing at the entrance end where there is a pleasantly appointed clubhouse, a refreshment room, changing rooms, toilets and a club shop. To the right is a sponsor's lounge, media room and a considerably video and press tower. An open terrace runs for most of the length of the pitch with a stand at the end providing seating in the club colours; this is mirrored on the other side of the pitch where beyond the seating is a shallow covered terrace with superfluous bench seating at the back. The far end features some open and some covered terracing which is rather lacking in depth. Overall the effect is a pleasing one and much removed from the Atcost model so prevalent nowadays.
On the pitch a shell-shocked young Sky Blues team was 3-0 down in 13 minutes, overwhelmed by the physical nature of proceedings (there is not a lot of tackling in U23/Development football).That's not to say that Rushall were over physical, just much stronger. As the game wore on Coventry got more and more on top and pulled a goal back midway through the half but despite laying siege to the Pics' goal in the last 15 minutes, profligate finishing meant no further goals. Excellent entertainment and the reward for Rushall is a trip to Alvechurch in the second round.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

hemelhopper
First Team Sub

Dec 6, 2017, 9:59 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #33 of 38 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wallingford Town AFC 1-1 AFC Aldermaston (HEL1E)
- played at Nithercroft, Wallingford Sports Centre, Nithercroft Road, Wallingford from 7.45pm

Att – around 30 (h/c); Entry £5 incl prog (simple and a good read); Cuppa for £1 .. and the delicious Wally sausage roll for £1.50
Weather – another calm night with some mizzle about early on.
Travel – A34 from work and then cut through to Goring and northward .. back via Didcot for some reason and all points south.
Colours – Wally in red tops, with white stripe to front of shirt and black shorts .. the Atom Men in all blue with black stripes to shirt.

What a delightful set up at the Wally .. all contained within Community Trust grounds of every sport you could wish for .. with varied assortment of pitches about .. tonight’s main venue found on the other side of a warm Clubhouse, where skittles was being up after "keep fit" classes .. and various rooms housing other achievements .. most noticeable the hockey section with some great memorabilia about the walling.

For me this venue was the completion of all Hellenic League venues, although I have a couple of teams to see who presently ground share .. so it was interesting to see how things compared to other Step 6'ers .. and to be honest, apart from limited options to get fully round the whole pitch in the dark .. both ends were accessible, if tricky with undulation and synthetic matting .. leaving most on hand to stay on main stand side, where table and chair greeted entrants .. quickly followed by the tea hatch, serving a fair selection, including those sausage rolls warmed to perfection. The Boardroom was next .. then a soft padded seated selection under first roof cover .. then the seated Atcost .. and finally, the loos within far changing block .. all set off by four pylons of light each side and dug outs splitting half way and opposite .. facing a decent area of grass, with fully ten yards to perimeter block walling, with good height to perch elbows in places.

The game .. well I thought we’d end up with a nil niller after the first twenty .. probably the most evenly matched teams I’ve seen this year .. in fact at times you’d almost think they were all one team .. such was their similar play, matched up size and skills .. but with a bit of pace and touch .. things improved and around the 50 minute mark, in came a shot from distance to hit the back of the net from the visitors .. then about 10 minutes later an adjudged foul inside the box, allowed the Wally to equalise from penalty spot .. which quietly returning things back to that even type of game .. allowing time to play out for those on hand .. a fair result and one to reflect on, as a New Year fast approaches and managers take stock .. we wish both well on their way throughout the rest of 17/18 .. Smile

Grounds Visited = 429, Games in 17-18 Season = 60; New Grounds this Season = 37; Goals seen this Season = 231; Ave goals / game = 3.85; Last new ground = Dulwich Hamlet; Next Game = Tues 12th Dec 2017

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 6, 2017, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #34 of 38 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wallingford Town AFC 1-1 AFC Aldermaston (HEL1E)
- played at Nithercroft, Wallingford Sports Centre, Nithercroft Road, Wallingford from 7.45pm

I think you will find that it was at Hithercroft, which is in Hithercroft Road

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

hemelhopper
First Team Sub

Dec 7, 2017, 5:25 AM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #35 of 38 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for highlighting leohoenig .. I was timed out of editing the post once I'd realised my simple human error ... Tongue

penny banner
Ballboy/girl

Dec 7, 2017, 12:20 PM

Post #36 of 38 (833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MARGATE v Bath City, F.A. Trophy, 2-2 a.e.t. (4-5 pens.) £10 in (£8 for old people) £2.50p programme.

Best match I've seen in many a while, 5 metalwork strikes, some amazing saves by the away keeper and more goalmouth action in 2hrs 6 minutes than I usually see in a season.
On the downside, it kicked off at 8.22 due to a crash on the M2. Bizarrely players and supporters made it from Bath on time but members of the home side delayed things. Imagine the spectators joy when the full Margate team were 'warming up' on the pitch at 7.47 but still insisted on a full half hour to do what actually takes no more than 10 minutes. A nice bit of contempt for the paying customers. Game actually got finished at 1 minute past 11, a record late night for me

pokal02
First Team Star

Dec 7, 2017, 1:20 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #37 of 38 (765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nowhere for me unfortunately - ticket, flight & hotel booked for Benfica - Basle but struck down with flu on Monday and could'nt really contemplate travelling.
Hoping to have recovered for planned trips to Chesterfield and Airdrie this weekend.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2017, 8:24 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #38 of 38 (289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Tuesday 5th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another watching Hampshire cup fun, this time at...

Hampshire Senior Cup 3rd Round
Hamble Club 2 Christchurch 2 (after 90mins: Hamble win 4-3 on penalties)

Entry: £5
Attendance: headcount of 60

A very good match, with step6 Christchurch incredibly unlucky not to get the result they deserved out of this. Hamble seemed to get more and more flustered as the match went on, with their own players getting into heated and prolonged arguments with each other more than once. Plenty of hot air spouted from their bench too, which a less patient referee might well punished.

I liked the ground too: a smart hand-built wooden stand painted in club colours of yellow-and-black stretched much of the length of the far side, with a small tea hut in the corner, and the smart modern clubhouse positioned just outside the perimeter fence. Badges and hats for sale behind the bar.

The Hamble Community Ground is just a five minute walk south of Hamble railway station, which is a small halt on the Portsmouth-to-Southampton line, with the lit-up floodlights easily visible from the station platform. Hamble's quaint Solent-side village centre, however, is getting on for a mile-and-a-half walk further on, past the old Aerostructures ground used by Folland Sports (the one with the plinthed Folland Gnat jet outside). For this reason, I took my pre-match refreshments back in Southampton in 'The Guide Dog', one of several excellent pubs close to St.Denys railway station.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3