Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Dave Norcliffe (Groundhopper "LS8")

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Nov 27, 2017, 2:20 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2586 views)
Shortcut
Dave Norcliffe (Groundhopper "LS8") Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dave passed away on Sunday 19th November 2017, aged 49, after a year long battle with an aggressive strain of cancer ; what started as a lung tumour spread rapidly and despite much treatment and surgery Dave ultimately succumbed.

His love of football saw his support for 3 teams : Swindon Town (where he grew up), Leeds United (place of birth) and Barrow (from holidays in the lake district).
He used to post on here as LS8 and also in the past took photos for the Football grounds in focus website.

Although he was a groundhopper he was rarely, if ever, singled out as being one. A few posters on here knew him, others will have met him without knowing who he was. He tended to keep a low profile.

His final game was a GNSL fixture at Bibury the week before his passing, where he witnessed what I think was his highest ever score of 3-10. On the day his wife met me at his front door to see if I could persuade him not to go out. His nurse, his wife and myself all felt he wasn't up to it but with great defiance he said " what you people don't understand is just how much I am looking forward to this and how much good it will do me".

I know that he really enjoyed that last game just as I enjoyed over 33 years of friendship and attending games together.

Dave was just 49 and left behind a wife and grown up daughter and son.

RIP dear friend.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Nov 27, 2017, 5:00 PM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 27, 2017, 4:06 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 11 (2543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It really will be a party up there this Xmas, Ratty, Paul now Dave. Its an emptier hobby for the loss of them all.
Condolences to the family.
RIP Dave.

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 1 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

I have impeccable credentials.

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Nov 27, 2017, 4:07 PM)

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Nov 27, 2017, 4:13 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It really is a sad time for those in the hobby.
Although I knew Dave Rat a little, there are many others on the circuit that I know to say hello to but don't know the names of.
Could it be possible, or indeed is it not to insensitive, to ask if anyone has any pics of those who have left us in the past year or so?
It would be good to be able to say goodbye privately to those we have stood by and reminisced with.

Tim

Nov 27, 2017, 4:13 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 11 (2530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've known Dave for the best part of ten years, I reckon, and I know for sure that every game I watched with him was much the better for being in his company. Lovely chap - lots of knowledge to share about football and always hugely amusing and entertaining. I will really miss him, but I've got plenty of good things to remember too.

RIP Dave - one of the best.

Trevor P
First Team Star

Nov 27, 2017, 5:09 PM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #5 of 11 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First came across Dave in 2010 at games in South Wales. He was a quietly spoken chap, well informed about a range of subjects and I found him very good company. Sarah was with him when we met up again a year later at Wakefield. It was a real pleasure to see them both on that occasion and I'm sorry there won't be similar meetings. What a sad time for us this month has been

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 27, 2017, 9:04 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 11 (2327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trevor P] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Usually met Dave when he was out with His Dog. Quiet unassuming chap who kept himself to himself; I knew from Tim that he was very ill and hadn't actually met him for quite some time.
A very sad few weeks for our motley crew. So young....no justice.
RIP Dave

Dilligaf
Junior Team Regular

Nov 29, 2017, 11:48 AM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 11 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Extremely saddened by Dave's passing.GD kept me informed of his deteriorating condition and untimely fate. I last saw him at CB Hounslow in August where despite being diagnosed with a terminal illness he was determined to still venture out and about and enjoy his football.

A real pleasure to have known him.
RIP

WestBerksPalace
First Team Regular

Nov 30, 2017, 10:51 AM

Team(s): Crystal Palace and Epsom and Ewell.

Post #8 of 11 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dilligaf] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I didn't know Dave, but very sad news, too young. Condolences to his family and friends. I can empathize entirely about his determination to go out and see a last game, obviously a top fella, and another sad loss to our group...

2017-18 - 50 games (Scarborough Ath), 161 goals, av gpg 3.22, 23 new grounds.
2016-17 - 103 games, 329 goals, av gpg 3.19, 41 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2017 -43, 16 - 42, 15 - 63, Last new -Scarborough Ath- 2/12/17. Grounds in Total - 1147.
RL Grounds - 32 (Last - Belle Vue, Wakefield Trinity RL (1/7/17), Speedway Tracks 50.

UKPunk

Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I didn't know Dave but as others have said it's always sad whenever one of our number pass on, especially when that person is so young.

RIP Dave

0-0-4-1-7-24-30-71-182-283=602

42.5%

Last game: Sat 2/12/17 Ramsgate 2 Herne Bay 1

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Sub

Dec 5, 2017, 4:03 PM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #10 of 11 (886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has been a very sad month for the untimely deaths of groundhopping friends. I knew Dave through GD last seeing him at Baffins last season. RIP Dave

davy c
First Team Star

Dec 8, 2017, 1:46 PM

Post #11 of 11 (429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chelsea Spud] Dave Norcliffe (LS8) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very sad news. Lovely chap, will be sadly missed, of that there is no doubt

RIP

twitter @davyc1976

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3