Another Royal Wedding

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 25, 2018, 6:55 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #126 of 133 (1437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...and yet we need food banks?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Yatesman
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2018, 7:36 AM

Team(s):

Post #127 of 133 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

We have food banks and people use them......need them?

We have near full employment and lots of job vacancies a universal benefits system and free education and health.

Poverty is often caused by poor choices.....to drink, smoke ,do drugs, not to cook at home as much as anything else.
I get that housing costs are expensive and delays in receivIngleton benefitake causes problems but a lot else is down to personal choice.

That's not poverty as the rest of the world understands it.....just saying!

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Apr 25, 2018, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #128 of 133 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

We have food banks and people use them......need them?

We have near full employment and lots of job vacancies a universal benefits system and free education and health.

Poverty is often caused by poor choices.....to drink, smoke ,do drugs, not to cook at home as much as anything else.
I get that housing costs are expensive and delays in receivIngleton benefitake causes problems but a lot else is down to personal choice.

That's not poverty as the rest of the world understands it.....just saying!

Well I guess poverty is a relative thing though that doesn't diminsh its effect on people but it seems that "full employment" is relative too. Do we really have "near full employment".

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 25, 2018, 6:03 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #129 of 133 (1287 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Not everyone is good at making the right choices. Are we going to condemn people simply because they are unable to make the right choices? Many peoples' lives are chaotic and although it is easy to look down on them and tell them it's their own fault , that isn't going to solve the problem of poverty and an uncaring Tory government.

16 million people in this country have under £100 in savings. Any small change in circumstances pushes them over the edge.

The Trussell Trust reported “Rather than acting as a service to ensure people do not face destitution, the evidence suggests that for people on the very lowest incomes … the poor functioning of universal credit can actually push people into a tide of bills, debts and, ultimately, lead them to a food bank. People are falling through the cracks in a system not made to hold them. What little support available is primarily offered by the third sector, whose work is laudable, but cannot be a substitute for a real, nationwide safety net.”

The poor don't vote in great numbers. Those who vote tend not to vote Tory. The Tories don't care about the most disadvantaged in our society - there are no votes in it for them and it's easy to tell them it's their own fault - they made the choices.

007Dale
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2018, 6:57 PM

Post #130 of 133 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The Trussell Trust reported “Rather than acting as a service to ensure people do not face destitution, the evidence suggests that for people on the very lowest incomes … the poor functioning of universal credit can actually push people into a tide of bills, debts and, ultimately, lead them to a food bank. People are falling through the cracks in a system not made to hold them. What little support available is primarily offered by the third sector, whose work is laudable, but cannot be a substitute for a real, nationwide safety net.”

The poor don't vote in great numbers. Those who vote tend not to vote Tory. The Tories don't care about the most disadvantaged in our society - there are no votes in it for them and it's easy to tell them it's their own fault - they made the choices.

Despite voting Tory at the last election (I don’t consider myself a Tory) I have spent some time over the last couple of years volunteering for food banks; in the warehouse, collecting food from supermarkets and also handing out food. I try not to judge, many can’t help the situation they are in, but i’d say this - many had more fashionable clothes on than me (maybe donated), but almost all of the adults had a very expensive mobile phone (iPhone 10 and the like).

It could be argued, that many people are not making the right choices, but that’s not to say we shouldn’t help them, however, is does bring an interesting question: what is the definition of poverty? Maybe in today’s world, not being able to afford an iPhone and food means you are in poverty?

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

May 20, 2018, 10:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #131 of 133 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks heavens the Royal Wedding is over. Mind you, you would have thought the groom would have at least shaved off his beard. I know beards are fashionable at the moment, but an ORANGE one? Must have ruined the spectacle for quite a few people.

(This post was edited by greenwood on May 20, 2018, 10:47 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 20, 2018, 11:11 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #132 of 133 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shame neither father could make it...........

jon b
First Team Star

May 20, 2018, 11:50 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #133 of 133 (956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Another Royal Wedding [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meanwhile Lord Lucan could be spotted, riding Shergar on the grassy knoll, before heading back to Area 51.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3