RIP Keith Barron

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2017, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 13 (2134 views)
Shortcut
RIP Keith Barron Can't Post or Reply Privately

The actor Keith Barron, one of my favourite actors and best known for his part in the Yorkshire TV comedy 'Duty Free', has died at the age of 83...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...inment-arts-41998040

As well as lots of UK television and film parts, he also famously starred alongside Doug McClure in the 1975 Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi extravaganza 'The Land That Time Forgot', which I can remember watching in The Empire cinema in Havant. (Looking at the plastic dinosaurs in this trailer, it's amazing to think this was filmed just eighteen years before Steven Spielberg's 'Jurassic Park'!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K97czqecQ

He also took a starring role in my favourite episode of 'The Professionals', 'Private Madness, Public Danger' filmed in September 1977, where he plays a deranged chemical research scientist who goes berserk in the Maidenhead area with his home-made product. A couple of years ago, before a match at Burnham FC, I made a pilgrimage to The Red Cow pub in Slough, where Keith was filmed injecting poison into the beer pipes of the real ale handpump! Here is the episode in its entirety...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nx35dmAjtU

Fantastic telly - they don't make it like that anymore!

(This post was edited by oxpete on Nov 15, 2017, 8:16 PM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 15, 2017, 9:03 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 13 (2107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] RIP Keith Barron [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also in a classic episode of Minder along with Lionel Jeffries called Senior Citizen Caine being chased by the Inland Revenue boys. Fantastic TV and like you say, they don't make them like this anymore.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 15, 2017, 9:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 13 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] RIP Keith Barron [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hard to believe the Nigel Barton plays were made in 1965.

And then there was Take Me Home ... with Maggie O'Neill!

He was one of my favourite actors.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2017, 9:28 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] RIP Keith Barron [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Also in a classic episode of Minder along with Lionel Jeffries called Senior Citizen Caine being chased by the Inland Revenue boys. Fantastic TV and like you say, they don't make them like this anymore.

That'd be this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZt1SxGeGlU

...which also includes an appearance by actor James Cosmo, just one of the thousands of times he's played the character of 'hard Scottish bloke'! (though never better than when he played Detective Sgt Davy Freeth in The Sweeney!)

Wonderful telly!

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 15, 2017, 9:43 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 13 (2078 views)
Shortcut

That episode was called ' Hard Men'

Freeth went to break a door down and broke his nose along with it.

Loads of pee taking out of the ScotchSly also starred a young Alex Norton who became DCI Burke in Taggart.

Chris1963

Nov 15, 2017, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #6 of 13 (2073 views)
Shortcut

He also took a starring role in my favourite episode of 'The Professionals', 'Private Madness, Public Danger' filmed in September 1977, where he plays a deranged chemical research scientist who goes berserk in the Maidenhead area with his home-made product. A couple of years ago, before a match at Burnham FC, I made a pilgrimage to The Red Cow pub in Slough, where Keith was filmed injecting poison into the beer pipes of the real ale handpump! Here is the episode in its entirety...

This was the first ever episode of 'The Professionals' to be screened (30/12/1977) and as his character is the first person visible in the pre-credit sequence, he is therefore the first actor to appear in the programme. This episode is also notable for Chris Ellison, who plays Burnside in 'The Bill' (currently being repeated late at night on Freeview) appearing in it.

Today I wouldn't bother watching sitcoms like Duty Free but in 1984 it was one of the very few programmes on TV to have teletext subtitles and for this reason alone I watched it quite regularly even though no-one else in my family did.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2017, 9:55 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2070 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
That episode was called ' Hard Men'

Freeth went to break a door down and broke his nose along with it.

Loads of pee taking out of the ScotchSly also starred a young Alex Norton who became DCI Burke in Taggart.

That's the one where Sgt. Freeth keeps using the word "Maharajah" in phone calls back to Glasgow.

Finally, Jack Regan says something like: "What do you mean by saying Maharajah?"

Freeth says: "It means fornication."

Regan: "Do you always say that?"

Freeth: "Only when my phone is tapped!"

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2017, 10:04 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #8 of 13 (2064 views)
Shortcut

He was also in a couple of episodes of Upstairs Downstairs playing an Australian on leave in the UK during the Great War.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2017, 11:11 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] RIP Keith Barron [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This was the first ever episode of 'The Professionals' to be screened (30/12/1977) and as his character is the first person visible in the pre-credit sequence, he is therefore the first actor to appear in the programme.

...As seen here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldh3U0I1vqk

...and while we're at it, here are probably the greatest TV theme and credits ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gpif0a0P8
(though these are the credits to the second to fifth series. The credits to the first series included Gordon Jackson driving a Rolls Royce in a highly irresponsible manner!)

The opening episodes of The Professionals, including 'Private Madness, Public Danger', are memorable for the enjoyably abrasive atmosphere between the two lead actors - Lewis Collins (playing Bodie) and Martin Shaw (playing Doyle). When filming started in the summer of 1977, Shaw had recommended his good friend Anthony Andrews (best known as the lead character in the film 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too') for the part of Bodie. However, writer Brian Clemens felt that the two actors got on far too well both on and off screen, often giggling away like a couple of children. He therefore scrapped the first three days of filming, sacked Andrews, and gave the part of Bodie to Lewis Collins instead. When Shaw found out, he threw a hissy fit and took a very deliberate dislike to his new co-star, unwittingly giving the programme its fantastic aggressive edge!

The best bit of trivia I have about Lewis Collins (another fantastic and hugely missed actor) is that he used to play drums in sixties Liverpool band The Renegades, who often played support to The Beatles at the Cavern Club. When The Beatles got rid of drummer Pete Best, they originally wanted Lewis as the replacement, but ended up with Ringo Starr instead! As John Lennon famously said: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles!"

As we keep saying, they don't make telly like that anymore!

(This post was edited by oxpete on Nov 15, 2017, 11:16 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2017, 11:57 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2015 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Shaw had recommended ... Anthony Andrews (best known as the lead character in the film 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too') for the part of Bodie.

I just can't see Anthony Andrews at it in a car...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 16, 2017, 12:07 AM

Post #11 of 13 (2004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] RIP Keith Barron [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Shaw had recommended ... Anthony Andrews (best known as the lead character in the film 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too') for the part of Bodie.

Oooops! Blush

Well, they do look alike! NOT one of my favourite films, I hasten to add!

Chris1963

Nov 16, 2017, 3:59 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #12 of 13 (1855 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well, they do look alike! NOT one of my favourite films, I hasten to add!

In my view, it's one of the best British films ever made, and certainly the most realistic-looking, almost documentary-like in feel. It is often dismissed as a comedy, but the truth is that the director, Alan Clarke, was much too serious a film-maker to be bothered about comedy (He is also well-known for making the cinema version of 'Scum' and a few TV films before his tragically early death) and his intention was clearly to paint a devastating portrait of British society as it was in 1985. The best scene in an almost perfect film is the showdown between the families on Bradford's Buttershaw estate near the end, where some of Rita's many brothers tear around on their motorbikes. The hyper social realism of this sequence is all the more terrifying when you realise that Sue's mother - who appears very briefly without saying any lines - was played by a woman who survived an attack by the Yorkshire Ripper. What humour there is in the film comes across as being somewhat affectionate in tone, as if an amused sociologist was recording what was happening, and even the film's only sex scene (which is really a case of rape, since the girls have no means of escape) avoids being titillating or downright offensive. Even the film's title is deliciously ironic, giving a nod to 1970's British sex comedies even though the reality is very different.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Nov 16, 2017, 8:10 PM)

garethwrexy

Nov 16, 2017, 7:43 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #13 of 13 (1785 views)
Shortcut

RIP

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3