World Cup Qualifying 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

kirby knitters
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 13, 2017, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #226 of 247 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Simplistic view but hardly viable at short notice to expect a neutral country to stage such fixtures with Police objections that come with it.

All know what coming runners entails and there is no better way to sort groups out.

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League.

windydcfc

Nov 14, 2017, 7:49 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #227 of 247 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Simplistic view but hardly viable at short notice to expect a neutral country to stage such fixtures with Police objections that come with it.

All know what coming runners entails and there is no better way to sort groups out.

I think playoffs are fair for 180 minutes, it's after this that I don't believe they're fair. It would be interesting to know if anyone has a stat on which teams(home or away) gain advantage in the extra time & penalties? This isn't just for international playoffs.
Senegal's qualification is now in doubt, after Burkina Faso have appealed against the annulment of the original South Africa v Senegal match. https://www.thesun.co.uk/...-cup-qualifying/amp/

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Nov 14, 2017, 7:53 AM)

kirby knitters

Nov 14, 2017, 9:51 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #228 of 247 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Everyone wants to see the best line up at the World Cup but there's nothing to stop a side killing a game in a play-off be it over one leg or two.

Slightly different but that European Final in Seville in 86 stands out a mile with Steaua making their intentions quite clear from the start of the second half and walking off with the trophy.

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 14, 2017, 11:19 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #229 of 247 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought the CAS appeal for Burkina Faso had already been made and rejected, but it appears the only thing settled by them is confirmation of the referee's lifetime ban
In view of this, I think there is little chance for BF, and anyway, should Senegal win again, the point would be moot

Meanwhile with the continuing run of scoreless draws, we get

29. Sweden heading to Russia

36. Italy staying at home

Three to go!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Nov 14, 2017, 8:45 PM)

007Dale
First Team Sub

Nov 14, 2017, 1:32 PM

Post #230 of 247 (992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Three places left and the make-up of the pools for the finals draw is almost complete::

Pool A
Russia
Germany
Brazil
Portugal
Argentina
Belgium
Poland
France

Pool B
Spain
Peru (tbc)
Switzerland
England
Colombia
Mexico
Uruguay
Croatia

Pool C
Denmark (tbc)
Iceland
Costa Rica
Sweden
Tunisia
(Rep of Ireland)
Egypt
Senegal
Iran

Group D
Serbia
Nigeria
Australia or Honduras (TBC)
Japan
Morocco
Panama
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
(New Zealand)

If Peru lose to NZ, Serbia will move up to pot 3, Denmark or Iceland will move up to pot 2.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 14, 2017, 2:14 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #231 of 247 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I thought the CAS appeal for Burkina Faso had already been made and rejected, but it appears the only thing settled by them is confirmation of the referee's lifetime ban
In view of this, I think there is little chance for BF, and anyway, should Senegal win again, the point would be moot

35. Italy staying at home

Three to go!

Not that I'm pedantic or anything but if Sweden are qualifier 29 with three to go then there must be 3 to be eliminated also, being numbers 33,34 and 35....which Italy are according to the above. OCD activated 😎

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2017, 4:11 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #232 of 247 (951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Italy are out. Who said the play offs are exciting? Last 6 matches

Honduras 0 Australia 0
New Zealand 0 Peru 0
Denmark 0 Ireland 0
Switzerland 0 Northern Ireland 0
Greece 0 Croatia 0
Italy 0 Sweden 0

I don't like the 2 legged system in the playoffs. I'd prefer to see a single game played at a neutral venue. So there's no advantage for the home side in the 2nd leg. If the game goes into extra time & penalties.

The problem with one off play-off matches is there is too munch money involved with 2 leg games.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2017, 5:12 PM

Post #233 of 247 (932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I would have gone for

Denmark v Ireland at Old Trafford
Switzerland v Northern Ireland at Wembley
Italy v Sweden at Berlin
Greece v Croatia at Munich

Hmm. 2 games in England and 2 in Germany with Ireland & N Ireland effectively having 'home' advantage. Not at all convinced by that idea,

The only thing wrong with 2 legs ties (and cup replays for that matter) is the playing of extra time in the second game only. Straight to penalties after 90 mins seems a fairer option.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 14, 2017, 8:47 PM

Post #234 of 247 (877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

35. Italy staying at home

Three to go!

Not that I'm pedantic or anything but if Sweden are qualifier 29 with three to go then there must be 3 to be eliminated also, being numbers 33,34 and 35....which Italy are according to the above. OCD activated 😎

Yes, you are pedantic
---but yes, I do not have a "36" on the list, so I have corrected the original

I imagine that you are currently glued to your set, to see if Ireland can turn it around in the second half, and avoid being the real "35"
Smile

Fat AND Pompous.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 14, 2017, 9:58 PM

Post #235 of 247 (851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Senegal got a last minute winner in their second game against South Africa, and hence it really won't matter how CAS rules.

Meanwhile, we have a real
35. Ireland

Shane Duffy gave the Irish and early lead, but were behind before half time.
Christian Eriksen increased the lead, completing his hat-trick and a late penalty made it 5-1 to
30. Denmark

Fat AND Pompous.

TOPCAT
Junior Team Regular

Nov 15, 2017, 11:01 AM

Team(s): Thirsk Falcons

Post #236 of 247 (729 views)
Shortcut

Aussie Aussie, Aussie. OI,OI,OI.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 15, 2017, 11:40 AM

Post #237 of 247 (720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TOPCAT] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am not quite as brash as that!

No goals in the first half this morning, but an own goal early in the second set Australia on their way, this was followed by two penalties. Honduras scored a consolation near the end. So 3-1 on aggregate and

31. Australia become the penultimate side to book a place in the finals, while

34. Honduras are added to the list of those who are not there.

Fat AND Pompous.

windydcfc

Nov 16, 2017, 8:11 AM

Post #238 of 247 (538 views)
Shortcut

After Peru ended there 36 year wait to make it back to the World Cup.
FIFA has announced which teams will go in which pots before the final draw. http://www.fifa.com/...d=457645385582848029

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 16, 2017, 10:03 AM

Post #239 of 247 (523 views)
Shortcut

And so, after 872 matches (official tally) and 2,454 goals, the qualification process comes to and end.
The final goal of qualification was scored by Christian Ramos from close range in the 65th minute of the game in Lima
It placed his team 2-0 up, both on the day, and on aggregate - meaning that

32. Peru fill the final spot in Russia, (as it happens, the other goalscorer, Jefferson Farfan plays club football in Russia, for Lokomotiv Moscow)

last to be eliminated
33. New Zealand

The game took place on 15 November 2017 - the first game was in Dili, Timor Leste on 12 March 2015
The first (and second) goalscorer was Chiquito do Carmo for Timor Leste.

Although Timor Leste beat Mongolia, the match is relegated to a footnote as part of a scandal that has set back the game in the country. Timor Leste played a number of players who were naturalised, mainly born in Brazil.

No less than seven of the Timorese who played Palestine in October 2015 were not actually local. The Timor-Leaste team led until a late equalising goal. Palestine submitted a complaint that some of them were not eligible.

There was also concern and protests within Timor-Leste about the practise, and from the next series of games, they used only local players, conceding 25 goals in the remaining three qualification games.
So their World Cup record with the Brazilians was Pld 7, W 2 D 2 L 3 F 7 A 12
and without them Pld 3 W 0 D 0 L 3 F 0 A 25

The Asian Football Confederation rules in January this year that these games are forfeited, and do not appear on official records. They have also banned Timor Leste from qualification games for the 2023 Asian Cup, and Amândio de Araújo Sarmento was banned from all football activity for three years. The last part of the ban has been extended by FIFA from Asia to the whole World. Sarmento may also face legal sanction at home, as he obtained naturalisation for the players by using falsified documentation regarding the players' parents or grandparents births.

It is not clear whether or not Timor-Leste will be permitted to play in the 2022 World Cup qualification process.

Fat AND Pompous.

windydcfc

Nov 16, 2017, 11:34 AM

Post #240 of 247 (494 views)
Shortcut

When the draw is made by FIFA. Will there be an open draw from the 4 pots, or will there be the usual separation for certain co-confederation teams?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 16, 2017, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #241 of 247 (488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
When the draw is made by FIFA. Will there be an open draw from the 4 pots, or will there be the usual separation for certain co-confederation teams?

"no teams from the same confederation, with the exception of UEFA, which could have up to two teams in the same group, will be drawn into the same group."

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 16, 2017, 12:35 PM

Post #242 of 247 (467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

which makes for some quite complicated scenarios

The Europeans are divided
6 in Pot 1, 4 in Pot 2, 3 in Pot 3 and Serbia in Pot 4

The South Americans have
2 (Argentina and Brazil) in Pot 1, 3 in Pot 2

CONCACAF teams are divied three ways, one each in Pots 2,3,and 4

Asian has Iran in Pot 3, with the other 4 in Pot 4

while Africa is 3 for Pot 3, 2 for Pot 4

Fat AND Pompous.

windydcfc

Nov 16, 2017, 12:47 PM

Post #243 of 247 (459 views)
Shortcut

England would love to end up with Poland, Iran & Panama. But we'll probably end up with Brazil, Sweden & Nigeria.

007Dale
First Team Sub

Nov 16, 2017, 12:50 PM

Post #244 of 247 (456 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
England would love to end up with Poland, Iran & Panama. But we'll probably end up with Brazil, Sweden & Nigeria.

FIFA rankings continue to baffle. Spain behind Poland?

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 16, 2017, 1:44 PM

Post #245 of 247 (440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

FIFA rankings continue to baffle. Spain behind Poland?

It does seem strange to see a long-time powerhouse like Spain behind Poland, but given the way the ranking system is set up, it makes some sense. Spain followed up defense of its 2010 World Cup title with a lousy showing in 2014. Meanwhile, Poland was building up its credentials by playing friendlies against teams that may have been similar to them, in terms of their FIFA ranking. If you win against teams that are considered your equals and sprinkle that in with a couple of victories or good showings against teams considered better than you, then you'll get credit for that. I guess you could argue that the metrics used by FIFA to determine the rankings are flawed, but they are what they are, and I don't have many ideas on how that could be improved.

As far as the draw for the 2018 World Cup is concerned, I wonder if FIFA would consider putting each pot into a sub-group. For instance, the top 4 teams in the world would be classified as 1-A. Russia and the next 3 would be classified as 1-AA. You could do the same with the other 3 pots so you would have 4 groups comprised of: 1-A, 2-AA, 3-AA, 4-A teams AND 4 groups of 1-AA, 2-A, 3-A, 4-AA teams. Perhaps using such a set-up would prevent what happened at the 2016 Euro competition where one side of the Final 16 team bracket was considerably more lopsided than the other (in terms of historically good teams facing each other so early in the knockout rounds).

007Dale
First Team Sub

Nov 16, 2017, 6:05 PM

Post #246 of 247 (366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the way the pots have worked out shouldn't make it too difficult for FIFA in the group draw:

Pot 1: 6 Euro teams & 2 South American.
Pot 2: 4 Euro teams, 3 South American and 1 Concaf.
Pot 3: 3 Euro teams, 3 Africa, 1 Asia, 1 concaf
Pot 4: 1 Euro, 2 Africa, 4 Asia, 1 concaf

In essence pot 1 & 2 is easy. Of the sixteen teams in these pots, five South American teams will get to play five European teams (or four Euro teams & Mexico)

That leaves either 3 or 4 groups with 2 European teams already. All they need to do is make sure the remaining European teams are not placed into one of the other five / four groups.

I don't think I've seen it specifically written that all groups need to have a European team. It is possible that the fourteen European teams are in 7 groups, the eighth could look like this:
Argentina, Mexico, Iran, Morocco.

The rest should be relatively easy to figure out.

I do think it will be significantly easier if they work 'top down' from pot 1 to 4, rather than backwards.

Anyone that works in maths can do the probabilities, but we are more likely to get Brazil or Argentina than any of the others because of the three South Americans in our seeding pool.

Towlawtom
Junior Team Star

Nov 17, 2017, 7:04 PM

Post #247 of 247 (168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] World Cup Qualifying 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Good analysis, so there is a 5 in 8 chance of being in a pot with Brazil or Argentina or a 3 in 8 chance of being in a pot with Germany, Portugal, France, Russia, belgium or Poland.

(This post was edited by Towlawtom on Nov 17, 2017, 7:07 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3