Gran Canaria trip

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2012, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut
Gran Canaria trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was on the Wednesday afternoon easyJet flight from Gatwick to Las Palmas Gran Canaria. A bit of a shambles with some passengers trying to find out what was going on with no info (not even a gate no.) but eventually we had a hours delay. (my Ryanair flight back from Porto a couple of weeks was delayed 30mins, again no info). On plane it was advised the French were on strike. Obvious really. Towards the end of this flight an easyJet steward thought he'd been assaulted by a non-British person. The guy got a telling off later after much scurrying around looking for witnesses. Made up a bit of time on arrival.

I caught blue bus 60 to LP but it terminated at San Telmo Bus Station rather than continuing onto Santa Catalina Station. This meant a bit of confusion & faffing about before arriving at my pre-booked hotel using a yellow bus.

I managed to view inside 2 1/2 sides of Estadio Insular, the former home of Las Palmas between 1944-2002.

On Thursday night I was on the net to find out ko times & days of games at levels 4, 6 & 7. (I'd already got level 5) Unfortunately, a couple of games had been scheduled for Thursday night incluing Maspalomas although I would've got back early next morning.

My FRIDAY game I caught yellow bus 21 which almosts stops outside ground:

Regional Preferente Division - Las Palmas (level 5)
Union Viera Club de Futbol 0
Union Deportiva Balos 0
Att: 63 h/c KO: 2100 Cost: 5 Euros. Saw no progs.

Venue: Estadio Pepe Goncalvez, Las Palmas Gran Canaria
2 floodlight poles each side with a plastic pitch. 1 sided ground with all rows steep concrete steps. In 1 half are 15 rows while in other half are 13 going down to 7 in the corner. Small enclosed area in centre at back with bench seating which are covered by weird looking press area above. Rail at the back where you can stand & watch from. Snack bar was open at start of game but I noticed it was closed at h/t. Opposite, straddling half-way line is changing room building. Either side of this & behind 1 goal is banking with trees etc. Behind other goal are trees but not banked. There are some very tall blocks of flats around ground.

2 kids teams were training before game.

Match: clear leaders, 1st v 14th out 18.
Could've been 2-1 inside 10mins. UVCF attacked regularly which saw gk make a couple of saves. UDB only had 1 shot in 1st half but did threaten.

UDB managed 3 efforts this half including a decent effort testing the gk. UVCF matched their 9 attempts in the 1st half including hitting the bar from a free-kick. A couple of other decent attempts saw 1 saved & 1 off target.

My 4th 0-0 this season & all in Spain. To be fair this wasn't a bad 0-0. If I'd been on a long run without one I may of thought differently. Somehow there were 10 yellow cards.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2012, 11:03 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Gran Canaria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On SATURDAY I visited a few grounds all within close proximity of last nights game.

Todays game I was advised to catch yellow bus 90 but not in the right place to catch it. Instead I caught yellow bus 21 again & then walked to the gound.

Segunda Division - Liga Adelante (level 2)
Union Deportiva Las Palmas 3 (58, 77 & 91+ Red on 71)
Girona Futbol Club 2 (10 & 86)
Att: 8,234 Came up on scoreboard as did other bits of info. (saw 4 GFC fans outside ground) KO: 1730 Cost: 50, 30, 25, 18 & 15 Euros. Free 16 page newspaper style prog inside ground. (1/2 football, 1/2 basketball)

Venue: Estadio de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas Gran Canaria
8 lane running track with the usual athletics stuff. 2 floodlight structures down side on concourse. Other side has lights along roof. All seater stadium which is elevated. 3 sides have continuous wrap-around with 38 rows. Behind 1 goal are just 12 rows with the scoreboard above. Main side has a curved roof which would only keep some people dry. At the back are VIP/Press areas. Opposite & behind goal is the wide concourse where you can stand & watch against the rail. Must mention the toilets as loads of cubicles. Club shop inside ground as were a snack outlet. Beyond the low goal end its a bit like a building site but does have the 'Anexo' where the other LP teams play. Further on is a hockey ground.

Match: 14th v 21st out of 22
Attrocius 1st half. GFC got a goal. I was in row 26 which at least meant I was high up but behind the goal the match felt I was watching from a different ground. UDLP may of had an effort cleared off the line.

Strangely the concourse is totally open & no stewards so at h/t I moved down the side but slightly higher up. Not only was this a good move the 2nd half was so exciting. GFC could've gone 2-0 up early on but the free-kick struck the bar. UDLP came close with a shot saved then cleared away as went towards goal. The crowd were now willing their team after voicing displeasure at h/t. With the scores 1-1 but 10v11 GFC kept attacking but couldn't get clear chances. UDLP didn't look like they were playing with 10 men & went ahead. GFC got a late equaliser to surely get a point. On 89mins they could've won it but struck the bar again then to be cruelly denied by an injury time goal to UDLP.

Talk about a game of 2 halves. 4th time I've seen GFC & each time there's been a dramatic very late goal.

After a couple of comments on the Sunday WDYG thread. I've now completed level 2 in Spain as I've no intention to catch a flight & travel miles just for a B team. I'm happy to see B teams at home but only as stop-gaps.

I may be incorrect with the following summary, not it makes any difference to me but:
Villarreal B will never play Villarreal. Northwich Villa could play Northwich Victoria.
Villarreal B will never play in a higher league than Villarreal. Northwich Villa could play in a higher league than Northwich Victoria.
Villarreal B will never play in the top league. Impossible but Northwich Villa could play in the top league.

I may be proved wrong & Northwich Villa can't do the above but I've no intention of visiting Villarreal B.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 5, 2012, 11:13 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 16 (2789 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
But I've no intention of visiting Villarreal B.

There you go 'Yungun' surely it's worth doing this season just to take micky out of the rest that won't do Villareal 'B'.
Your visit to Mini Estadi Ste' ?

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 2 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

I have impeccable credentials.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2012, 11:23 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Level 4 saw 4 of the 6 Gran Canaria teams at home. For some reason 3 of them decided to clash with Las Palmas. The whole of the island's fixtures seem less spread out than when I went to Tenerife last season. Might of been unlucky this time or lucky last time.

On SUNDAY it was almost impossible for me to get a double so I settled with just the 1 game. I caught blue bus 1 to El Doctoral. Before game I managed to just see inside level 3 team Vecindario's ground which is close by.

Tercera Division Grupo 12 - Canarias (level 4)
Club Deportivo San Pedro Martir 2 (49 & 91+ Red for coach on 68b)
Union Deportiva Lanzarote 1 (68a)
Att: 129 h/c KO: 1200 Cost: 6 Euros. Saw no progs.

Venue: Estadio El Doctoral, El Doctoral
4 low corner floodlight pylons & a plastic pitch. Small area down 1 side, behind 1 goal, all down 1 side & small area behind goal is all out of bounds with dirt banking with trees at back. The side has 1 red & 1 blue row of steps straddling 1/2 way line for press. Remainder of 1 half might have had 2 rows of concrete steps. Behind are untidy looking houses with mountains in distance. Behind near goal is red & blue building for the toilets. Set back in corner behind goal are 3 rows of concrete steps with clubhouse at back. Main side is elevated with 5 rows of steep concrete steps. It goes from 18yd box to near the other one. From near 1/2 way line to end of steps is covered. This is also in red & blue.

Match: 17th v 6th out of 20.
UDL had 2 good efforts saved within 10mins. For SPM, inbetween the strong wind took the ball away from gk & a header was cleared off the line. UDL looked the better side.

SPM had 3 chances inside 10mins of the 2nd half including a goal & a superb save by the gk. Not sure why SPM coach got so wound up about with goal UDL got. SPM got a very late winner. Protests from UDL as it appeared they had player injured while goal was scored. In my opinion, so what.

My last trip to Spain this season. Just need Espanyol in top division & whoever comes up who I haven't done. Obviously discounting Real Madrid Castilla for starters if they were to go up.

One last Euro trip left this season in late April.

Monday flight back was on time.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2012, 11:32 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Gran Canaria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Sunday 11th December 2005 I visited:
1200 L'Hospitalet v Peralta
1700 Barcelona B v Real Zaragoza B at the Mini Estadi - 2 B teams even worse, stop laughing.
2100 Barcelona v Sevilla

A crowd of approx 450 at the Mini Estadi. Nearly the same atmosphere as the main game.

youngster
First Team Star

Mar 6, 2012, 9:18 AM

Team(s): Felixstowe & Walton Utd

Post #6 of 16 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Gran Canaria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
But I've no intention of visiting Villarreal B.

There you go 'Yungun' surely it's worth doing this season just to take micky out of the rest that won't do Villareal 'B'.
Your visit to Mini Estadi Ste' ?

Would i ever take the Micky out of anyone? I can see both sides of the argument, but as they play at a different ground to the first team i'll usually try and do them. It was ok doing Barca, Athletico and Real Madrid B's as they were decent grounds, but i only do the others if they stick around in the league for a few seasons.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 7, 2012, 12:54 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 16 (2672 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
1700 Barcelona B v Real Zaragoza B at the Mini Estadi - 2 B teams even worse, stop laughing.

Can you here me ? Don't worry there's people on here who've seen 29 mins at Nacional (Madeira) and give it away when replayed while still there !!

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 2 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

I have impeccable credentials.

Rico
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 27, 2012, 8:03 PM

Team(s): Oxford Utd

Post #8 of 16 (1873 views)
Shortcut

how would the standard of the regional preferente game compare to the levels in england?

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Jun 30, 2012, 7:43 PM

Post #9 of 16 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rico] Gran Canaria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure really as quite hard to compare especially as Spanish football is so different to the English game.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 12, 2017, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 16 (699 views)
Shortcut

I'm in Las Palmas on the first weekend in December and hope to go to the game against Real Betis on the Sunday night. Las Palmas website is selling tickets for the upcoming match against Levante and for the Espanol game in late December, but not for the Betis game.
Is anyone aware of an issue with this game...history of trouble etc? I can't imagine it's a sell-out given the lousy season Las Palmas are having so why are they not on sale.......?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 13, 2017, 12:47 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #11 of 16 (673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Gran Canaria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or

From the club's Twitter:
- it looks like the date/kick off time for the Betis game was confirmed only three days ago.
- tickets for next week's Levante game went on sale online five days ago (and go on sale tomorrow for those buying in person), so the lead time wasn't long

Could be that the date of the Espanol game was already fixed with it being the last match(?) before the Xmas break, so nothing to stop online sales going ahead well in advance?

Certainly some availability for the Betis game on viagogo.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2017, 10:42 PM

Post #12 of 16 (330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Gran Canaria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I might as well continue to use thread as I went back to Gran Canaria on Wednesday 8th November when I caught the 07:25 easyjet flight from Gatwick which arrived at 11:40 which was approx 15mins early.
As the weather was nice I caught bus 66 which departs 20 minutes past the hour. It cost 4.05 Euros. I later caught bus 30 to Las Palmas (Santa Catalina station) which cost 6.80 Euros. The journey from Faro Maspalomas can take between 70 to 90+mins. A lot of traffic heading to LP & in Maspalomas there's a lot of bus stops.

On Thursday I caught bus 25 or 33 I think from Faro Maspalomas to Carrizal, cost 3.50 Euros & took kust over an hour.

Canarias - Primera Regional Grupo 2 (Round 10) (LEVEL 6)
Club de Futbol Union Carrizal 1 (26)
Union Deportiva Las Remudas 2 (21 pen & 73)
KO: 21:00 Att: 64 h/c Cost: 3 Euros Saw no progs

Venue: Campo El Toril, Calle Barcelona, Carrizal

Ground is approx 10min walk from the 1st bus stop in the town. Level 7 side CD Futboltec also play here. UC did play at level 4 in the 90's.
Artificial pitch with 2 floodlight pylons each side. Only two sides for spectators. Behind near goal is terracota hardstanding path in front of low light yellow wall. Above this are bushes & trees. In corner by entrance the h/s is wider & set back is snack bar with overhang & a park bench. The far side has 5 rows of red seats elevated a couple of feet which doesn't reach either 18yd box. At back is h/s area & there is a path down to behind goal. Either side are trees & bushes. Behind wall at back is steep banking rocks with low bushes. Far corner is out of bounds & has set back rocks. Near side is for officials only with terracota h/s. In near half are 4 light yellow buildings & 3 park benches. Straddling half-way line is an enclosed small area with 8 rows of concrete steps. At top are some rocks & the quiet road above which is fairly steep but give good views overlooking the ground. The remainder of the ground has a low yellow wall. The far corner of near side has rocks. Behind far goal wall are some rocks & on top a steep mound of dirt.

Match: 12th v 11th out of 17

Slow start to the game. LR missed a good chance on 18mins before they took the lead from the penalty spot. UC soon equalised & gk made a double save on 41mins. Shots 6-3.

The playacting by LR was even more noticeable this half & now included timewasting. UC had more possession but didn't threaten although a header was just off target on 54mins. It was getting very niggly. LR broke to regain the lead with strong protests claiming offside. A couple of mins later the lino was still being questioned about his non-call. UC were getting frustrated& kept getting caught offside. Shots 5-3.

I caught bus 1 back to Las Palmas (San Telmo station) at approx 2310 & could've caught some in the early morning if I wanted to. Cost was 2.75 Euros & took approx 40mins.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 PM

Post #13 of 16 (314 views)
Shortcut

On Friday I walked from my accommodation to my game in Las Palmas. I passed the old Las Palmas ground which still survives in part although the pitch has been replaced with a green area & paths as a play aream which was well occupied. Unfortunately, the walk was mostly uphill & this ground is close to the Pepe Goncalvez Stadium.

Canarias - Regional Preferente (Gran Canaria y Lanzarote) (Round 12) (LEVEL 5)
Union Deportiva San Antonio 2 (25 & 56 pen, red 80)
Club de Futbol Union Viera 2 (37 & 94+pen)

KO: 21:00 Att: 126 h/c (approx 30 watching for free either side of ground looking donw on the pitch) Cost: ? ( I couldn't find the entrance so ended up walking through other sports areas, past changing room & over the rail & onto the terracing) Saw no progs

Venue: Campo Lopez Zocas, Calle Juan Ramon Jimenez, Las Palmas

I'd looked at this pitch on my previous vit to the island.
Artificial pitch with 3 floodlight poles each side. Each side has a low wall & railed on top. The green concrete steps has flaking paint. Each side has 12 steep rows in one half. My side had banking behind wall with some trees. The other half has the rows going down to 2 rows which go past the corner flag. Behind is a high white & light yellow wall. From the 18 yd box to the centre there's 2 tiers of hardstanding with one of them having a tiny bit of cover & also veering away from pitch. The other side which was closed off goes down to approx 3 rows. A tall wall behind steps. At the top are properties across the road. Behind both goals are out of bounds with tarmac area. One has trees & bushes with views out to the port while the other has green & white changing rooms with overhang. In each corner are 2-story green buildings. Above & behind are trees then outdoor & indoor sports areas & beyond a couple blocks of flats.

Match: 4th (6-5-0 record) (v) 1st (10-0-1) Also playing that night was 2nd v 3rd in the outskirts of LP.
The only time I had to wear my light jacket as a bit breezier at this venue so I was glad to take it for this game.
On 2mins UV almost scored but gk pulled off a tremendous save. Another header went just wide on 10mins. UV looked good but it was SA who opened the scoring. UV then had shot saved on 20minscurled a shot from the edge of the 18yd box on 29 mins but it hit the bar. The 1st yellow card came on 36mins & from the free kick UV were lucky the ball went in the net after taking a wicked deflection. At h/t SA #9 had to be restrained by his own players but no idea why. Shots 3-6.

On 50mins there was some pushing & shoving by players. SA were awarded a penalty & #9 got his 2nd of the night. On 60mins UV shot went just wide. A minute later SA were denied by gk's leg but should've done better. Although it was still interesting the chances had dried up. With the yellow cards mounting someone had to get a red & it was SA. In injury time UV put in a cross which was cleared but disbelief when ref awarded a penalty. Lots of protests but it's converted which saw a bin thrown on the pitch. A fan is restrained from throwing a bottle on the pitch. The ref holds up the game & speaks to the SA bench. The game soon ends. As the players leave the pitch listening to protests there's more pushing & shoving by the changing rooms. Shot 2-4.
Yellows 7-4 & Reds 1-0.

A good game which was very lively.

A better walk down the hill after the game.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2017, 11:31 PM

Post #14 of 16 (310 views)
Shortcut

On Saturday I caught bus 25 or 33 from Faro Maspalomas to Vecindario, cost 2.75 Euros. The bus stop I got off was close to the athletics stadium (no goalposts or pitch markings) which is across the road from this ground.

Canarias - Regional Preferente (Gran Canaria y Lanzarote) (Round 12) (LEVEL 5)
Union Deportiva Balos 3 (15, 17 & 56)
Club Deportivo Tahiche (Lanzarote) 1 (78)
KO: 16:00 Att: 121 h/c Cost: 1 Euro Saw no progs

Venue: Municipal de Balos, Calle Pablo Neruda, Vecindario

Artificial pitch with 4 corner floodlight pylons. Main side has a rail with terracota hardstanding behind it. There are 3 areas with approx 10ft high white & green concrete wall with rail on top. Two of them are stands with 5 steep green concrete rows. The larger one which is in most of one half is mostly covered. In the other half is the smaller one going from 18yd box past the corner flag. Also in this half is the other structure which has old solar panels & above this is a white wall & a balcony with a further area on top of that. Behind one goal has sloping area & behind low white wall is banking with trees on it. The other areas are out of bounds. Behind other goal is artificial turf & behind low white wall are trees. The other side has a high green & white wall. Behind are come coloured properties & some being refurbished or just been left showing the concrete shell. There's a bar facing the road down the main side.

Match: 10th v 14th out of 19

1st half was played in hot conditions & a slow start which suddenly saw UDB score from a corner & 78 seconds later a 2nd was added with a sweetly struck shot from edge of 18yd box. UDB were in controm against a poor CDT team. Shots 9-2.

UDB free kick shot/cross flew just wide on 48mins. A lovely move saw a 3rd goal added with the shot on the volley swept home. CDT had shot saved on 62mins & they did score when free kick was converted when nobody followed the scorer. They pushed for a 2nd but weren't very good. Shots 5-4.

I caught bus 1 to Las Palmas (San Telmo), cost 3.40 Euros.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2017, 11:50 PM

Post #15 of 16 (300 views)
Shortcut

On Sunday I got off the bus earlier in Maspalomas & walked in the hot conditions to the ground. It was packed but that was due to the market. I was having trouble finding the entrance to the sizeable stadium. I asked 3 people all confirming this is where San Fernando play. I was wondering if they play further down the road. I went in the bar & between 3 of them serving they pointed me further down the road. A 10+min walk.

Tercera Division Grupo 12 - Canarias ( Round 10)
Union Deportiva San Fernando 2 (9 & 81)
Club Deportivo Tenerife 'B' 0
KO: 12:00 Att: 251 h/c Cost: 5 Euros Saw no progs

Venue: Campo No. 1 Ciudad Deportiva Maspalomas, Maspalomas

4 pitches at this complex. Looking on google maps it was top right venue which appears to be shared with level 5 CD Maspalomas. I did see one of the other pitches & it was identical except instead of changing rooms was hardstanding area.
Artificial pitch with 2 floodlight poles each side. Both sides have a low wall with rail. There's 3 steep grey concrete rows with hardstanding area at back along with some trees. Over the wall one has some trees while the other has past another pitches floodlights there's rocks ith properties on top. There's a steel & concrete wall around 3 sides. Behind both goals is 3ft wall. Above one is h/s with. The other has artificial turf then h/s in front of light blue 2-story changing room. Mountains in distance.

Match: 1st v 3rd out of 20

SF scored early & controlled the game against an un-interested CDT side. On 40mins gk saved shot on the line. Shots 5-1.

2nd half was better especially towards the end. CDT had shot saved on 51mins. A couple of mins later SF should've done better but shot was over. On 76mins gk saved with his legs. CDT had corner but SF broke away to add a 2nd goal. On 88min CDT almost pulled a goal back but gk saved with his outstretched leg. SF should've added a 3rd on 90+mins but shot was saved comfortably. Shots 8-6.

If SF got promoted I wonder if they would use the larger stadium.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2017, 11:59 PM

Post #16 of 16 (295 views)
Shortcut

There's Las Palmas at level 1 & their B team (Las Palmas Atletico) at level 3.

At level 4 the 20 teams are made up of:
8 Tenerife, 5 Gran Canaria, 3 Lanzarote & 2 each from Fuerteventura & La Palma

At level 5 for this area there's 19 from Gran Canaria & 1 from Lanzarote

On Thursday there were 3 games, 26 on Friday, 4 on Saturday & 2 on Sunday

A couple of games changed days on the Monday & Tuesday. I didn't look after that.

I used the www.futbolaspalmas website.

On Tuesday I caught bus 60 from Las Palmas (Santa Catalina station), cost 2.95 Euros & took approx. 35mins. I caught the 12:35 flight back & arrived at Gatwick at 16:35.

I got in my car to drive home & it was dead. I went to reception & something was attached to my battery & it started straight away. The mileage had changed to km, a steering problem lit up but caused no problem & the clock flashed all the way home. I decided to drive without stopping. I parked in my garage & re-started the engine but it was dead again.

A good trip ended on a sour note.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Nov 16, 2017, 12:03 AM)

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3