barcud-coch
First Team Regular

Nov 10, 2017, 11:01 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Friday 10th November 2017 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Goytre 4 Monmouth Town 1

Plough Road: Welsh League First Division

This evening's match provided a rare opportunity to enjoy nighttime fixture under the Plough Road floodlights. Goytre were originally due to be home last Friday night but that match had to be re-arranged due to both team's involvement in the Welsh Cup that weekend. Similarly, a scheduled home encounter with Llanelli Town on the first Friday of next month will now not be going ahead due to the Goytre's continued involvement in the Welsh Cup. Since my last visit to this ground back in April, two new stands have been erected to help the home club meet the criteria of the impending two tier licence that will be introduced next year by the FAW. The one stand is located near to the spectator entrance to the ground (probably consisting of 150 seats) and there is another small seated stand on the opposite side of the pitch (probably a 100 seat stand). Plough Road has certainly seen its facilities improve over the past 18 months after having floodlights installed last year. Goytre came into this evening's Monmouthshire derby clash in second place in the Welsh League First Division and could go top if they won their game in hand on leaders Haverfordwest County. This evening's hosts came into the match on the back of a 2-1 home victory over league rivals Briton Ferry Llansawel last Saturday to book a trip north to Airbus UK in the third round of the Welsh Cup. Monmouth Town were struggling in the lower reaches of the division and appear to be embroiled in a relegation battle once again. the Kingfishers saw their involvement in the Welsh Cup end last weekend when they suffered a 2-1 reverse at top-flight rivals Penybont.

Former Monmouth Town starlet Dan MacDonald saw his 20 yard free-kick fly wide of the target in the eighth minute but the Kingfishers were not so fortunate ten minutes later when the former Aston Villa trainee played a neat one-two, after a long ball played our of defence, before sweeping the ball past the visiting goalkeeper. Goytre doubled their lead just two minutes later, following a deep free-kick played forward, and tall home striker Lewis Sommers was on hand to beat the Monmouth Town custodian to the ball with his head. The hosts were well and truly on top now, after the Kingfishers had made a promising start, and they struck the woodwork from nearly 30 yards out in the 26th minute and then hit an upright from a closer distance on the half-hour mark. Goytre dominance was confirmed with a third goal, just four minutes later, when the Kingfishers' goalkeeper spilled a low cross at the near post and the loose ball was turned home from close range. This Monmouthshire derby was over as a contest in the 38th minute when the home team broke down the left and a Goytre forward was played in on goal to score the fourth of the evening. Sommers nearly made the scoreline 5-0, with two minutes of the opening period, but saw his header come back off an upright. The visitors displayed signs of improvement after the break and perhaps the home team relaxed somewhat with such a commanding advantage. The Kingfishers had a shot on target cleared off the line in the 63rd minute and then saw an effort poked over the target from close range just a minute later. The Goytre defence effort blocked another effort on target in the 74th minute but were powerless to prevent the rebound being fired home from the edge of their penalty area. Monmouth Town had opportunities to reduce the deficit further, seeing a 78th minute free-kick headed wide and then an effort fired wide of the target some five minutes later, but they had started playing far too late this evening.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 397
Matches: 87.5
New Grounds: 12

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Nov 11, 2017, 5:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 13 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Vase Second Round - Yaxley 3 Peterborough Northern Star 0 - Admission 6 - Programme 1 - Attendance approx 200

Big choice for me - should I go to Walton and Hersham on the 3G in the Vase or go to Yaxley in the Vase on the 3G !!! Yaxley won it as they did this match with exceptional ease. On paper it looked as though it would be close with the teams 11th and 12th in the United Counties League, but PNS didn't turn up and if Yaxley would have converted half of the chances created, it would have been a cricket score.

Yaxley took a very early lead when a long ball down the left flank picked out Matt Sparrow who cut infield before unleashing a terrific angled curler into the far corner. On the half hour, Sparrow found the net again after avoiding an awful challenge from Christian Gordon before finding the bottom right corner from the edge of the box.

PNS made a double substitution at the break but Yaxley dominated and chance after chance went begging before they scored a third, three minutes into stoppage time when Sparrow's low cross from the right was swept home by Tom Waumsley.

Yaxley looked impressive but how much of that was due to PNS being so poor is open to debate. More Vase action on Saturday although the overnight rain could prove to be the proverbial pain in the backside.

Nobody's Heroes
Junior Team Star

Nov 11, 2017, 11:24 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #3 of 13 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Under-21 Qualifying Group 8

Wales Under-21's 0 Bosnia & Herzogovena Under-21's 4

VSM Stadium, Bangor

Crowd - 1,041 Ticket - 5.00
Programme - Download only (did not bother)

Was lucky in the fact that I had pre-purchased a ticket for the game as all were sold beforehand giving a crowd of 1,041, with the ground having 1,100 seats for this all seated affair.

A clinical performance by the young Bosnian side saw them ultimately stroll to a comfortable 0-4 victory with the Welsh side 'not turning up on the evening'. Particularly impressive for Bosnia was their number 10, Amer Gojak, currently forging a career with Dinamo Zagreb.

Very disappointed with the FA of Wales for their decision to produce a downloadable online programme only for the double header which concludes with a game against Romania next Tuesday. Team sheets were available for the press corps only, one was obtained by asking a member of the press present. Would have been nice for the team sheets to highlight to which clubs the players were affiliated to, but just names highlighted. E-mail already sent to the FA of Wales expressing disappointment over the lack of paperwork...rant over!

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 12, 2017, 11:13 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 13 (637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Walton & Hersham 2 Hanworth Villa 1 (FA Vase) Att: 142

Lots of familiar faces at this one. Enjoyable game, the first half rather better than the second; two decent teams, end to end stuff and chances a-plenty. The ground has been described to death; suffice to say I found it impressively fit for purpose, but it will never win any architectural prizes. Admission was £8 and a decent programme a further £1.50. Catchagogoal and I were kindly given a half time cup of tea by the chairman; indeed all concerned with the club seemed far more very friendly than is the norm in the south east.

SpiderBee
Reserve Team Star

Nov 12, 2017, 12:13 PM

Team(s): Colliers Wood United & Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Post #5 of 13 (603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Walton & Hersham 2 Hanworth Villa 1 (FA Vase) Att: 142

Lots of familiar faces at this one. Enjoyable game, the first half rather better than the second; two decent teams, end to end stuff and chances a-plenty. The ground has been described to death; suffice to say I found it impressively fit for purpose, but it will never win any architectural prizes. Admission was £8 and a decent programme a further £1.50. Catchagogoal and I were kindly given a half time cup of tea by the chairman; indeed all concerned with the club seemed far more very friendly than is the norm in the south east.

That sounds harsh to me!

The 2017/18 Colliers Wood United FC Website

wibbandune.simplesite.com/

dottirofhod

Nov 12, 2017, 12:16 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #6 of 13 (599 views)
Shortcut

Admission was £8 and a decent programme a further £1.50.

=================================================

What currency is used around them parts ?

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 2 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

I have impeccable credentials.

Tim

Nov 12, 2017, 12:18 PM

Post #7 of 13 (597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Mainly £8 and a few £1.50.

Tim

Nov 12, 2017, 12:19 PM

Post #8 of 13 (595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SpiderBee] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That sounds harsh to me!

I've not been to Colliers Wood United yet. Perhaps I've just been unlucky.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 12, 2017, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #9 of 13 (540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Also at this game. I am surprised Hoddy is not familiar with the £
This is a new currency being trialed within the M25 as part of a bid to keep the Northerners away!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

gcnc

Nov 12, 2017, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #10 of 13 (481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Division 2
Newport County 1 Port Vale 1
Admission 18 Programme (64 pages) 3 Attendance 2876

Thanks to our landlords, the WRU, organising something the next day, a chance of some Friday evening football 'on Parade'. A tight game, marked by an almost total absence of shots on target. The one each that both sides managed ended up in the net. Felt like two points dropped, but this time last season we would have undoubtedly lost a game like this.

(This post was edited by gcnc on Nov 12, 2017, 3:32 PM)

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Nov 12, 2017, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #11 of 13 (369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh League D1

Goytre 4-1 Monmouth Town, Att 85+3 (HC), 5, 1 prog.

My first visit to another of my local Welsh League 1 sides and this one by far the best both on and off the field. As described above the ground has clearly been developed recently and yes both stands are wretched Arena jobs but at least they are reasonably well integrated here. I've no idea how a team from a village that actually doesn't even appear in one of my AA Atlas's can support a side at this level, but its a good set up. The only flaw being that its reached down very narrow roads and parking is definitely at a premium shall we say.

The game was very strange with Goytre threatening a drubbing for the first half then not really being in the game at all in the second. It was at times almost as if the sides had swapped shirts not just ends!

Definitely one I will look forward to visiting again in daylight. Sub 23 minutes drive back to Chepstow, which would have been quicker had I not been held up by a Jaguar F Type...still plenty of time for some Plum Porter in the Queens....
Smile

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

gcnc

Nov 12, 2017, 8:07 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #12 of 13 (349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Friday 10th November 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Welsh League D1

Goytre 4-1 Monmouth Town, Att 85+3 (HC), 5, 1 prog.

My first visit to another of my local Welsh League 1 sides and this one by far the best both on and off the field. As described above the ground has clearly been developed recently and yes both stands are wretched Arena jobs but at least they are reasonably well integrated here. I've no idea how a team from a village that actually doesn't even appear in one of my AA Atlas's can support a side at this level, but its a good set up. The only flaw being that its reached down very narrow roads and parking is definitely at a premium shall we say.

It doesn't. It can't! The remarkable development of the ground and improvement of the team is down largely to the funds of a local businessman, much to the envy of many supporters from other Welsh League clubs - see their forum if you want proof.
The location of the ground and the inability to develop facilities further there mean that Tier 2 is probably as high as Goytre will ever rise, so it is hard to suggest that the guy is a short-term glory-hunter. What will happen if / when the money runs out, of course, remains to be seen.

SpiderBee
Reserve Team Star

Nov 12, 2017, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Colliers Wood United & Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Post #13 of 13 (316 views)
Shortcut

I was just commenting that, in my personal experience, clubs in SE England work hard to make visitors welcome.

The 2017/18 Colliers Wood United FC Website

wibbandune.simplesite.com/

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3