First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 28, 2017, 7:14 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 32 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Which 3 would you go for? Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I was just entering my 20's I went through a phase of reading loads of fiction.

In the course of this I read 3 books that influenced me then (70s) and still have a strong input on the way I see the world.

These are:

'On the Road' : Kerouac
The "Illuminatus" trilogy : Shea & Anton Wilson
"Zen & Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" : Pirsig

(Intriguingly the only significant literature any of the authors wrote)

You may say that's given me a warped/daft/irredeemably hippie view of the world - I might challenge that, but that's not why I've posted this.

My daughter is now equally in her early 20s. I'd like to advise her to read those books - but they are rooted in a time and culture that - for better or worse - is no longer with us, so they're not really relevant.

Hence the question : which 3 novels would folks on here recommend to a 20-something to help set up their life-long view on the world?

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 28, 2017, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #2 of 32 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't answer your question but would have to disagree with your assessment of Kerouac. The Dharma Bums, The Subterraneans, Big Sur and Lonesome Traveller are all at least as good as On The Road and Desolation Angels perhaps the best of the lot. Happy days.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 28, 2017, 7:36 PM

Post #3 of 32 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was so entranced by "OTR" that I tried a couple of other of Kerouac's works, but found them to be pale imitations of the "original" and never got past the first few pages, impatient whippersnapper that I was.

Perhaps I should go back and look at them again - or perhaps they're best read if you're young, free, single and male...and I now only qualify on the 4th count.

But yes, happy days indeed.

Tim

Sep 28, 2017, 8:21 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 32 (2066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read the lot in my late teens/early twenties. Then I read a biography of Kerouac, and the books were never quite the same again. I agree they are young persons' books and certainly were part of me becoming whatever I am, but don't re-read them once past thirty.....

Other key texts very much of that era would include The Lord of the Rings, Philip K Dick's wonderful The Man in the High Castle, Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception, Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan (absolute tosh), and Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods? (also tosh). They don't write 'em like that any more.

Chris1963

Sep 28, 2017, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 32 (2037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does children's fiction count? The only period of my life it which I read a lot of fiction was between the ages of 8 and 11, when I didn't have much interest in football. I did read a few adult novels after then, but have since come to the conclusion that reading fiction is a waste of time because as I age, my declining memory cells are better saved for factual information.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 28, 2017, 10:21 PM

Post #6 of 32 (1982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
reading fiction is a waste of time because as I age, my declining memory cells are better saved for factual information.

Fiction or factual?

Fridges can become dangerous if beer is kept inside for too long. It is recommended to keep flow of beer in & out of the fridge very rapid to minimise the risk of fire.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Sep 29, 2017, 12:48 AM

Post #7 of 32 (1950 views)
Shortcut

In my latter teens I enjoyed Kerouac's "On the Road". I was into Hemmingway then, and read a lot of his works, but one - "Log from the Sea of Cortez" was probably the most boring book that I have ever attempted to read. Steinbeck was another favourite of mine then.

At the time I also loved lighter books, my favourite author being H H Kirst and the Gunner Asche books, although I enjoyed Woodhouse, Tom Sharpe, David Nobbs, Dorothy L Sayers, the Flashman stories and Alistair MacLean, of which "Caravan to Vaccares" is the most enjoyable to me.

Nowadays the depth of authors from the classics like "On the Road" is so great it is difficult to suggest a book list to 20 year olds; I am just pleased that there are 20 year olds who want to read.

Around 20 years ago The Times produced a list of its 100 best authors of all time. I am steadily working through that list with about 20 still to go; the remaining authors will be read when their books appear in my local British Heart Foundation book shop [about 200 yards from my front door}, which is cheaper than spending £4 on a bus fare to the nearest library, or unpteen pounds in fuel and a £2.50 parking fee if I drive there.

But going back even further I loved "Swallows & Amazons", but also the children's travel books series called "We go to ....." [insert destination]; I learnt so much about the UK from this latter series.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 29, 2017, 6:52 AM

Post #8 of 32 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for these thoughts...I wouldn't give up on youngsters as readers - there's still plenty of them, just they tend not to shout about it.

My daughter started off with Jacqueline Wilson books/novels (probably guided there by Tracey Beaker material) and then met up with a supportive group of a few girls in early teenagerdom, and they worked their way through the Inkspell (?) novels and the Hunger Games trilogy and stuff like that.

She then branched off into Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice and all that end of the world, which is an area of fiction I just can't get into...all those ball-gowns and impotently-heaving bosoms.

I just want to suggest something a little more modern to her!

Good luck on your quest for the final 20!

prorege

Sep 29, 2017, 8:50 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #9 of 32 (1891 views)
Shortcut

I’ll answer the question. Three books that I have read in middle life that I wish I had been able to read earlier.

The Glass Room (Simon Mawer)
A fascinating exploration of human relationships – the complex and often contradictory thoughts and emotions that translate into human behaviour. On a more superficial level the novel is also a history of 20th Century Europe seen through the lives of one family.

Whit (Iain Banks)
Through exploration of the life of a young woman in a cult, Banks proposes that it is the community values, not religious values that are important, whilst at the same time demonstrating that individuality and conformity can co-exist

Death of a Ladies Man (Alan Bissett)
Bissett describes Death of a Ladies' Man as "a cautionary tale for women written by a man who is trying to say: 'Look, this is why we are the way we are. Understand but do not forgive.”

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 29, 2017, 9:13 AM

Post #10 of 32 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fascinating suggestions...should I check them out before recommending - mind you - why should I? My parents didn't check what I was reading at 21.

DoaLM rings a bell for some reason : is it linked in any way to the Leonard Cohen album, or was it serialised on TV a while back?

But thanks again

prorege

Sep 29, 2017, 9:34 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #11 of 32 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Shares the title with the Leonard Cohen album but no direct link.

I don't think it has ever been serialised. Alan Bissett is quite well known in Scotland as an author and football fan. His other books are probably too Scottish to appeal to a wider audience but Death of a Ladies Man is more generic.

jrev61

Sep 29, 2017, 12:54 PM

Team(s): None

Post #12 of 32 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In my view it is not for our generation to tell youngsters what they should be reading.
Also how many people read books to give them a viewpoint on life? Surely you read for enjoyment or for your university course.
I have read' Jane Eyre' and' Pride and Prejudice'. The first I though was brilliant, the second deadly dull, dealing as it does with boring upper middle class people I just couldn't identify with. Most of what I read is 19th century, although I have recently been given loads of recent detective novels, mostly Ian Rankin.

jrev61

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 29, 2017, 1:23 PM

Post #13 of 32 (1799 views)
Shortcut

I would strongly advise your daughter to read Erica Jongs's books -- but in order. After finishing them, then read her daughter's (Molly Fest-Jong) book.
All influenced me greatly.

Chris1963

Sep 29, 2017, 3:40 PM

Post #14 of 32 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
reading fiction is a waste of time because as I age, my declining memory cells are better saved for factual information.

Fiction or factual?

Fridges can become dangerous if beer is kept inside for too long. It is recommended to keep flow of beer in & out of the fridge very rapid to minimise the risk of fire.

If your fridge ever catches fire, I don't think you will get much sympathy from me.

UKPunk

Sep 29, 2017, 8:00 PM

Post #15 of 32 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Fiction or factual?

If your fridge ever catches fire, I don't think you will get much sympathy from me.

It won't, his beer flow prevents it. As does mine. Sly

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

windydcfc

Sep 29, 2017, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #16 of 32 (1663 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Fiction or factual?

My Grandad died in a house fire. Where all the electrics melted everything electrical & that included the fridge. Which was a melted mass & a hole in the floor. When I visited the house the next day.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 29, 2017, 8:33 PM

Post #17 of 32 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

GET BACK ON TOPIC

Chris1963

Sep 29, 2017, 8:49 PM

Post #18 of 32 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
GET BACK ON TOPIC

It was Climate Change (not windydfc or anyone else) who went off topic in the first place.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 29, 2017, 9:12 PM

Post #19 of 32 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
GET BACK ON TOPIC

No need to shout.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 29, 2017, 9:17 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #20 of 32 (1615 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Such as the complete absence of mosques in Oslo. Or there being no airports on Heimaey.
Take up reading again is my advice........Tongue

UKPunk

Sep 29, 2017, 9:21 PM

Post #21 of 32 (1609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Such as the complete absence of mosques in Oslo. Or there being no airports on Heimaey.
Take up reading again is my advice........Tongue

I'd venture that your advice will be about as welcome as him having a thousand fleas in his underpants! Sly

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 29, 2017, 9:47 PM

Post #22 of 32 (1596 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
GET BACK ON TOPIC

The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump
Path to Power by Margaret Thatcher
The Complete Guide to Property Investment: How to survive & thrive in the new world of buy-to-let by Rob Dix

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 30, 2017, 6:59 AM

Post #23 of 32 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Which 3 would you go for? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Taking these to be serious suggestions, I'm intrigued by your choice of zeitgeist.

Just as much as my "growing up" books are strongly redolent of the social mores of the 1970s, so these three are surely equally so of the late 80s

Sure there's an argument to be had that the libertarianism promulgated by these books was a necessary antidote to the problems brought about by the excesses of the 70s, I was kinda looking for similar antidotes to the problems caused by the excesses brought on by the philosophies in these.

Still, I opened the thread to ask for suggestions, and welcome input from all angles

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 30, 2017, 11:27 AM

Post #24 of 32 (1497 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Taking these to be serious suggestions, I'm intrigued by your choice of zeitgeist.

They are serious.

Could have chosen Gates, Jobs, Branson et al.
People who got off their ar5e instead of having the 'woe is me' attitude which seems to be becoming more prevalent.

Property is the best way for an average worker to make decent money. I read a book by Ajay Ahuja in 2004 and have never looked back.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 30, 2017, 12:12 PM

Post #25 of 32 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for that - my thought about the "serious" bit was I didn't know if it was somehow linked to this fridge thing which seems to be prevalent in many places (and which I don't understand).

Don't really want to take this thread in another direction, but feel we'll agree to disagree about success only being measured in terms of making money, and only people who do that have got off their backs and broken sweat.

I can see the inspiration in the other names you mention too, and I could think of more such as James Dyson, and, from an earlier era, Peter Walker and John Poulson.

But I'm still intrigued as to what you feel about my point that whilst my character-forming books reek of hippie-dippie - ism, of the 70s, your suggestions are seemingly mired in Gordon Gecko and the whole "Greed is Good" mantra of the late 80s. (and no, there're nowt wrong with making money and this isn't an attempt at a left/right confrontation).

Both ideas have, I feel, run their course, and I'm trying to think what is the way of thinking that lies ahead.

Thanks again for the author suggestions. My daughter's reading list is looking challenging and interesting in its diversity!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3