England beyond Hope?

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2013, 12:51 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #1 of 23 (21715 views)
Shortcut
England beyond Hope? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not much sign of progress with Hope Powell's side.

I suspect we'll hear rather less henceforward about the possibility of her becoming the first female manager in the men's game. Unimpressed

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 19, 2013, 1:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 23 (21709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I watched just enough of this competition to confirm my previously-held opinion that womens football is utter crap and you've got to question whether it merits the coverage given to it. Makes the Derby Summer League look decent.

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 19, 2013, 2:26 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #3 of 23 (21702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I watched just enough of this competition to confirm my previously-held opinion that womens football is utter crap and you've got to question whether it merits the coverage given to it. Makes the Derby Summer League look decent.

I saw four games live, definitely better than DSL Wink.

And Denmark through to the quarter finals by drawing of lots Crazy.

(This post was edited by mip on Jul 19, 2013, 2:27 PM)

jrev61

Jul 19, 2013, 8:51 PM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 23 (21672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's ridiculous that it had to go to the drawing of lots as Denmark had a better goal difference than Russia. Can't think what UEFA were playing at.
If Russia had been drawn out of the 'hat' Denmark would surely have had a case for an appeal.

Matty
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2013, 2:09 PM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #5 of 23 (21559 views)
Shortcut

Well the GB womens team have just won the World University games

in the group stage they beat Brazil 2-0 and Estonia 5-1 and lost to Japan 2-1
QF beat Ireland 8-0
SF beat Brazil1-0
Final beat Mexico 6-2
the men lost the final in extra 3-2 to France

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 22, 2013, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #6 of 23 (21492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's ridiculous that it had to go to the drawing of lots as Denmark had a better goal difference than Russia. Can't think what UEFA were playing at.
If Russia had been drawn out of the 'hat' Denmark would surely have had a case for an appeal.

Not if the tournament rules specified that method before the competition started. They'd have had a right to be a bit miffed though.

It does seem to be barmy that GD wasn't used as a tie breaker - surely better for a footballing feature to settle it rather than a random draw.

With "best" 3rd place teams qualifying from the groups in Euro 2016, I'm wondering if the same rule will apply there!

Last new ground (783): LFF Stadium, Vilnius - Lithuania v England 8/10/17
Last game: Stourbridge v Macclesfield 14/10/17
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania

mip

Jul 22, 2013, 10:06 PM

Post #7 of 23 (21486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The rules were clear from the start re 3rd placed teams. The rationale given is that teams in the groups finishing later should have a smaller advantage playing on results.

Meanwhile Denmark are hanging on against France in the quarter final, 1-1 with 7 minutes to play in extra time. 2nd half and extra time has been one way traffic towards the Danish goal.

Extra tickets have been made available for the final by opening part of the upper tier on Friends Arena so I suppose close to 30,000 tickets must have been sold.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2013, 10:41 PM

Post #8 of 23 (21478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well the GB womens team have just won the World University games

in the group stage they beat Brazil 2-0 and Estonia 5-1 and lost to Japan 2-1
QF beat Ireland 8-0
SF beat Brazil1-0
Final beat Mexico 6-2
the men lost the final in extra 3-2 to France

Excellent Cool Congratulations to all involved. Sadly, I'd not noticed any coverage of it.

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 23, 2013, 7:44 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #9 of 23 (21457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The rules were clear from the start re 3rd placed teams.

I presumed it would be hence I stated there'd be no right of appeal.

In Reply To
The rationale given is that teams in the groups finishing later should have a smaller advantage playing on results.

No, not buying that one. Still seems a nonsensical decision to me.

Last new ground (783): LFF Stadium, Vilnius - Lithuania v England 8/10/17
Last game: Stourbridge v Macclesfield 14/10/17
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania

PaulC

Jul 23, 2013, 8:34 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 23 (21455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Oh I don't know. I've watched some of it and it has been far more entertaining than the other tournaments being televised this summer.

mip

Jul 23, 2013, 9:46 AM

Post #11 of 23 (21452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The rationale given is that teams in the groups finishing later should have a smaller advantage playing on results.

No, not buying that one. Still seems a nonsensical decision to me.

It's the reason given by someone from UEFA. I don't agree with it either.

cherryhopper
First Team Star

Aug 21, 2013, 12:19 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #12 of 23 (20573 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Not much sign of progress with Hope Powell's side.

I suspect we'll hear rather less henceforward about the possibility of her becoming the first female manager in the men's game. Unimpressed

Hope Powell has now paid the price for Englanbd's dismal showing at Euro 2013 and has been sacked as manager of England ladies. It will be interesting to see her next move and whether her future does lie in the men's game. One club where she wouldn't be out of place as manager would be the circus that is Farnborough FC where she could change her name to Dame Alex Ferguson!

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Aug 21, 2013, 12:35 AM)

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 28, 2015, 11:15 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 23 (10750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Am I right in thinking that there are several quite effective and mature players in the England 2015 WC squad that Hope Powell refused to select for non-football reasons? If so, what does this say about Powell and why did the FA put up with it?

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Jun 28, 2015, 2:24 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Dorking FC. Dorking Ladies

Post #14 of 23 (10692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone actively involved in Ladies football, I hear quite a bit from up the chain.

As far as Hope Powell is concerned, lets just say there were serious differences of opinions towards the end of her 'reign'.

Well done the Lionesses last night against Canada. I was somewhat surprised that the Canadian number 11 managed to stay on the pitch after some very risky behaviour. Having said that, I did think the South American referee somewhat weak and gave some weird decisions.

jrev61

Jun 28, 2015, 3:26 PM

Team(s): None

Post #15 of 23 (10679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The refereeing has mostly been abysmal in this tournament. Surely they should go back to using male referees. Most female players would rather have the best referees available regardless of gender.
Is there a worst referee at top level than Carol-Anne Chenard of Canada? She handed Germany a place in the semi-final with her ridiculous award of a penalty. This was not an isolated bad decision by her either. She has been criticised by the commentators in every game she has handled. I suspect that being Canadian she will be given the final.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Jun 28, 2015, 4:05 PM

Post #16 of 23 (10660 views)
Shortcut

As far as Ladies refereeing is concerned, professionaly, they probably have a little way to go to catch up with their male counterparts.

A few years ago, when I was Sec/Chairman of a local team, I always attended matches. On one occasion we were appointed a lady referee, which caused grumbles by the team.

HOWEVER
- I have to say she was impeccable, fair, friendly and communicative. The team swearing on the pitch was nil and after the game when she joined us for refereshments, she was WARMLY welcomed by both sides and happily explained a couple of her decisions.

Makes you wonder, dunnit ??

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 29, 2015, 1:16 PM

Post #17 of 23 (10386 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The refereeing has mostly been abysmal in this tournament. Surely they should go back to using male referees. Most female players would rather have the best referees available regardless of gender.
Is there a worst referee at top level than Carol-Anne Chenard of Canada? She handed Germany a place in the semi-final with her ridiculous award of a penalty. This was not an isolated bad decision by her either. She has been criticised by the commentators in every game she has handled. I suspect that being Canadian she will be given the final.

I think the commentators are third rate at best. The male commentator is a particular embarressment, he keeps coming out with irrelevant drivel. In the last game he was talking at one point about inconveniencing one of the England players through his knee being in the back of her seat in the plane when they travelled over. Unsure The female commentators are ex-players who know the game but are boring to listen to.

I wondered whether the reaction of the commentators at the game and the pundits back in the studio was influenced by them wanting the world's top ranked side, Germany, to be knocked out of the competition so improving our outside chances of winning the trophy.

Most referees, in both the male and the female game, seem to be criticised whatever they do, but admittedly some of those we've seen in this tournament have seemed weak.

Oddly, I do rate the Canadian. For me, if a defender puts themselves in front of a player trying to cross/shoot etc and blocks the ball with a hand/arm then it's their problem not the ref's.

cope1

Jul 1, 2015, 1:12 AM

Post #18 of 23 (10286 views)
Shortcut

Criticism of referees and pundits - no different to a male tournament in essence.

I have found the tournament to be an excellent example of women's football and I am pleased that the number of comparisons between the women's and men's game have been extremely rare. It irritates me immensely when they start talking about how much better women's football is than men's football in one respect or another, as it either depends on the lack of interest in women's football (when they cite the lack of crowd problems) or it makes an irrelevant comparison such as between the women's teams vs USA or Canada against the men's team against similar oppo. It's pointless and irrelevant.

The England women's team have performed beyond expectations and no matter the score in the semi-final deserve a lot of praise. On the same count, the U21s deserve praise for their efforts but will be subjected to mindless negativity by the English press, as usual, because they didn't win the tournament.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Jul 1, 2015, 1:13 AM)

cherryhopper
First Team Star

Jul 6, 2015, 12:24 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #19 of 23 (10075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wonder if Mark Sampson will now feel he has gone as far as he can in womens football and want to try his luck in the mens game?
An ideal stepping stone for him would be as England U18/U19s coach, a position now vacant following Sean O' Driscoll's appointment as Liverpool's new assistant manager.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jul 6, 2015, 12:27 AM)

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #20 of 23 (9958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wonder if Mark Sampson will now feel he has gone as far as he can in womens football and want to try his luck in the mens game?
An ideal stepping stone for him would be as England U18/U19s coach, a position now vacant following Sean O' Driscoll's appointment as Liverpool's new assistant manager.

That's a bit soon, isn't it?! Surely he's now looking at winning the Euros.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Jul 7, 2015, 9:31 AM

Post #21 of 23 (9914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I reckon he'll stay with the Womens squad. For the time being, at least.

jon b
First Team Star

Sep 22, 2017, 12:00 AM

Post #22 of 23 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] England beyond Hope? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Turns out, as usual, it's the FA that continue to be beyond Hope.

Meanwhile, having a "Super White Army" banner at Tranmere covered up is farcical and pathetic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...-manchester-41337127

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Sep 22, 2017, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #23 of 23 (1441 views)
Shortcut

The 'let's go to war' banner wasn't covered up at the recent u19 international at Field Mill, Mansfield between England and Germany.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3