Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Paul Wilson (Celtic, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, Blantyre Celtic, Scotland)

South Mercian
Junior Team Star

Sep 20, 2017, 7:43 PM

Team(s): Tamworth, WBA

Post #1 of 1 (981 views)
Shortcut
Paul Wilson (Celtic, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, Blantyre Celtic, Scotland) Can't Post or

From Celticfc.net

Everyone at Celtic is saddened to hear of the death of former player, Paul Wilson, who passed away on Wednesday 20th September 2017, aged 66.

Paul spent 11 years with the Hoops, joining the club in 1967 and coming through the ranks as one of the famed "Quality Street Gang",
alongside the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain, Davie Hay, Lou Macari and George Connelly.

He made his debut in a League Cup quarter-final tie against Dundee on September 23, 1970, coming on as a substitute for John Hughes and scoring in the 5-1 victory.

Over the next eight years, he went on to make a total of 217 appearances for Celtic, scoring 55 goals.

He won two league titles, playing his part in the club’s nine in a row triumph in 1974 and the 1977 double winning success, the League Cup in the 1974-75 season, s
coring one of Celtic’s goals in the 6-3 victory over Hibernian, and two Scottish Cups during his time with the Hoops.

He scored two goals in the 3-1 Scottish Cup final victory over Airdrie at Hampden, just days after his Mum passed away. He also gained one international cap for Scotland.

After leaving Celtic in 1978, he played for Motherwell and Partick Thistle before playing junior football with Blantyre Celtic.

Speaking to the Celtic match programme back in 2014 to mark the anniversary of him signing for the Hoops,
Paul said of his proudest moment as a Celt: “Just pulling on the jersey, as I have always been a Celtic supporter,
so to get your first chance and to win trophies in the Hoops was fantastic.
It all accumulates. It's hard to say one individual thing.
If I look back on my time at the club, everything was a proud moment for me.”

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Sep 21, 2017, 5:52 PM)

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3