Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

bagman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #351 of 369 (5372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 10th July 2017

Kent Kings 49 v 41 Mildenhall Fen Tigers (National League )

Admission £13 Programme £2

Kent SLYDE Kings 49

Ben Morley 3 3 3 3 3 15
Bradley Andrews 1 1 X 0 2
Ben Hopwood 0 1* 1 3 5+1
Jack Thomas 3 2 3 R 1 9
Nathan Stoneman 3 0 2 X 5
George Hunter 0 1 1* 2 4+1
Anders Rowe 3 2* 3 1 9+1

Mildenhall Fen Tigers 41

Connor Mountain 2 3 3 2 2 12
Danno Verge 0 0 2 0 2
Jon Armstrong 1* 2* 2 2 7+2
Jordan Jenkins 2 3 1* 3 0 9+1
Dan Halsey 1 2 2 1* 6+1
Andrew Palmer 1* 0 0 1+1
Matt Marson 2 0 1* 0 1 4+1

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 23, 2017, 5:12 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #352 of 369 (5117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

British Grand Prix @ Principality Stadium. Admission £45; Programme £10. Attendance 35-40k
Winner : Janowski; 2nd Doyle; 3rd Zagar; 4th Zmarzlik

My annual trip to Cardiff followed a by-now well tested routine. Drive to Cwmbran station which has free parking. Train to Cardiff in half an hour costing £8.70 return. Couple of scoops in Tiny Rebel Brewery's Urban Tap House. Decent lunch and snifter at Mochyn Du by the entrance to Sophia Gardens and a riverside stroll to the stadium.
I've been reading about some fans complaining of security queues taking over an hour to get them in but we had no issues at all and found ourselves on the lower tier at the third bend. My mate had bought the tickets to celebrate my surviving my anus horribilis and had paid more than twice what we normally pay for what's a much better view a tier higher - back to basics next year then.
The poor view did colour our perception of the meeting I guess and some pernickety reffing also slowed down the flow of events though I still don't get why riders have to return to refuel after an abortive start and a trundle of 50 yards.
The racing improved as the meeting progressed with Kildemand and Sayfutdinov particularly entertaining. Woffinden paid the price for only one heat win as,unusually, his 9 points didn't get him into the semi's but the 10,000 or so Poles in the stadium enjoyed Maciej Janowski's second successive GP win.
Not impressed by having to queue in the rain for 15 minutes to gain access to the station - pity the poor sods whose train wasn't for an hour despite the free ponchos being handed out by station staff, but we were back in my local for 22.20 discussing plans for next year's event. Always an excellent day out.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Jul 23, 2017, 5:19 PM)

buncranaboy

Jul 24, 2017, 9:18 PM

Post #353 of 369 (4993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't edit post now but attendance announced as 40,234; apparently 700 down on last year.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Regular

Jul 24, 2017, 11:33 PM

Post #354 of 369 (4953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
British Grand Prix @ Principality Stadium. Admission £45; Programme £10. Attendance 35-40k
Winner : Janowski; 2nd Doyle; 3rd Zagar; 4th Zmarzlik

My annual trip to Cardiff followed a by-now well tested routine. Drive to Cwmbran station which has free parking. Train to Cardiff in half an hour costing £8.70 return. Couple of scoops in Tiny Rebel Brewery's Urban Tap House. Decent lunch and snifter at Mochyn Du by the entrance to Sophia Gardens and a riverside stroll to the stadium.
I've been reading about some fans complaining of security queues taking over an hour to get them in but we had no issues at all and found ourselves on the lower tier at the third bend. My mate had bought the tickets to celebrate my surviving my anus horribilis and had paid more than twice what we normally pay for what's a much better view a tier higher - back to basics next year then.
The poor view did colour our perception of the meeting I guess and some pernickety reffing also slowed down the flow of events though I still don't get why riders have to return to refuel after an abortive start and a trundle of 50 yards.
The racing improved as the meeting progressed with Kildemand and Sayfutdinov particularly entertaining. Woffinden paid the price for only one heat win as,unusually, his 9 points didn't get him into the semi's but the 10,000 or so Poles in the stadium enjoyed Maciej Janowski's second successive GP win.
Not impressed by having to queue in the rain for 15 minutes to gain access to the station - pity the poor sods whose train wasn't for an hour despite the free ponchos being handed out by station staff, but we were back in my local for 22.20 discussing plans for next year's event. Always an excellent day out.

A very poor season, attendance-wise, with this being only my seventh meeting, ignoring ice racing, and including one in Hungary. Although there was no box this year, I was still fortunate enough to Have a complimentary admission, courtesy of the promotion.

Totally agree with Buncranaboy's assessment of proceedings and witnessed some stunning action, after a worryingly few poor heats at the start. Really hate the warnings regulation, especially when good starts are called back, yet the referee still penalises a rider.

Selfishly I must also eek out a mention for Sheffield's meeting reserve Josh Bates who took advantage of a collision to get a second place in his first ever GP race.

We used to have a couple of nights in very good hotels when the GPs first started in Cardiff but with the same hotels now charging £500+ for the same deal, we went down the line of Groundhop UK by booking 2 nights at Cardiff Met's Institute of Sport for £60 with the refec open for a cheap breakfast too.

Friday night is traditionally a meet up with various riders and promoters, in the Cottage. A tour of several pubs during Saturday saw us also hit the Tiny Rebel, following the meeting. It was good to catch up with Salopexile of this manor in The Yard, on Saturday morning whilst a couple of non posting hoppers were also present during lunch at the Cottage.

Sunday saw more leisurely libations taken in the Owain Glyndwr and City Arms before catching the train back.

Next season's date has already been announced with some posters boasting of buying tickets for it on the speedway forum. And I think I'm sad.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 30, 2017, 10:04 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #355 of 369 (4727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 29th July 2017
Workington Comets 48 Glasgow Tigers 45
SGB Championship (level two)
Admission £16
Programme £1 (reissue from the June 10 postponed meeting. Four-page update included but, overall, a thoroughly crappy fold-out thing)
Attendance 550 (est)
Refreshments available (didn't bother)

Shock defeat for big-spending leaders Glasgow, who let slip a 10-point lead before forcing a last heat decider. Tigers required a 5-1 to win, but Workington guest Chris Harris, off a 15-metre handicap owing to a start line infringement, came from the back to finish third and help secure a 3-3.

Comets' victory owed much to a six-point, heat eight double points tactical ride from Mason Campton. The double points rule is ludicrous. Only in speedway. Several races were restarted owing to riders' repeated attempts to cheat at the gate. Equally irritating was the referee allowing riders to get away with protracted 'gardening' before most heats. All this nonsense does is drag out meetings unnecessarily. At least we had a full complement of 14 riders, albeit only as a result of the inclusion of guests.

Some decent racing, though clearly speedway at Derwent Park is not exciting enough to woo spectators in any great number. Doesn't help that it's very much a one racing line circuit. Hit the outside, and you've got it made. Since relaunching in the late Nineties, Comets have seen their crowds drop tenfold. A spectacular failure by successive promotions. The visitors brought about a hundred fans with them, enabling the attendance to stagger above 500. Spent most of the match in the company of a knowledgeable regular, who voiced well-founded doubts about Comets' ability to run in 2018.

COMETS: Mason Campton 12+1, Ty Proctor 12, Chris Harris 8+2, Thomas Jorgensen 6, Matt Williamson 5+1, Simon Lambert 5+1, Rob Shuttleworth 0 - 48 (3pts)

TIGERS: Richard Lawson 12, Dan Bewley 8+1, Nike Lunna 7+1, Aaron Summers 7, Richie Worrall 5, Tom Perry 4+1, Jack Smith 2+1 - 45 (1pt)

Sporting (and other images) at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 881; Rugby Union 239; Rugby League 203; Cricket 88; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 30, 2017, 10:08 AM)

buncranaboy

Aug 13, 2017, 8:46 PM

Post #356 of 369 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday Aug 12th : SGB Championship - Glasgow Tigers 53 Edinburgh Monarchs 39. Admission £17.50; Programme £3. Parking £4. Attendance : 1,200 est

A long old night here due to an unfortunate injury to Tigers reserve Jack Smith who crashed heavily in heat 2 meaning a delay of an hour and a half before the re-run. An ambulance was called but didn't show so the track ambulance eventually took the rider off to hospital and racing couldn't resume till it returned. Young Smith got away with just a dislocated elbow but it did look worse at first. Following that, they rattled through the meeting and we just beat the ten o'clock curfew for a full meeting.
The stadium. home to Ashfield Juniors, is excellent and the Speedway promotion have done a lot to tart the old place up. There's a wonderful old-fashioned stand with covered terracing alongside and a large open terrace on the far side. Plenty of food and drink outlets as well and the local populace seem to have responded with Tigers getting gates that would be the envy of many a higher league club. Despite the track being well prepared and obviously fast with it's swooping banks, good racing was at a premium with most heats being processional. It didn't help that Monarchs were so poor, taking only three heat advantages and the result was never in doubt.
Top scorers : Tigers : Lawson 14, Summers 11+2; Monarchs : Wells 11, Pickering 10+1
Stadium ticked (cue debate) so I won't need to come back for Ashfield. A long way from home with key in door at 03.00, just 19 hours after leaving........

youngster
First Team Star

Aug 26, 2017, 8:53 AM

Team(s): Felixstowe & Walton Utd

Post #357 of 369 (4016 views)
Shortcut

Speedway GP Challenge
Saturday 19th August
Togliatti 19-00
Adm £5-8, prog £1-30
Att 8,000 ish
Result, Pawlicki, Laguta and Dudek qualify, but as Dudek will already be there, 4th placed Craig Cook will take his place.
Eventful journey but got there in the end.
Flight from LHR to Helsinki was a bit late but still expected to make my connection, but when I arrived instead of jumping on another plane I was heading for a hotel for the night. This was a right result as didn't fancy getting to Samara at 03-15 and spending hours doing nothing all day.
In the morning the best they could offer was to get me there via Moscow with a 3 hour wait, that turns into a 5 hour wait but I got there eventually. In the end 15 hours late. But there's not much to do in these parts, so I'll take the compo and have another jaunt
That 200 tracks for 500cc Speedway, doubt I'll bother in many more.

(This post was edited by youngster on Aug 26, 2017, 8:56 AM)

bagman

Sep 3, 2017, 11:05 AM

Post #358 of 369 (3832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 2nd September 2017

Ipswich Witches 51 v 39 Redcar Bears (SGB Championship)

Admission £13 OAP Programme £2.50

IPSWICH 51: Danny King 14+1, Rory Schlein 14+1, Mark Riss 10, Kyle Newman 6+1, Nathan Greaves 4, Connor Mountain 3+1, Cameron Heeps r/r.
REDCAR 39: Charles Wright 10+1, Danny Ayres 8+2, Tero Aarnio 6+1, Jonas B Andersen 6, Jason Garrity 5, Ben Barker 4+1, Max Clegg 0.

The Moose
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2017, 3:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #359 of 369 (3798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FRI 1ST - PREMIERSHIP LGE: ZUMMERZET REBELS 45 POOLE PIRATES 48

ADM: £17 PROG: £3 ATT: h/c 1,250

How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in one harsh lesson duly achieved. Rebels were cruising at nine points up at one stage but credit to Poole for not giving up & gradually getting in contention before nicking it with a 5-1 in the last heat. So they edge the last play off place but the home side stay up virtue of Lions also losing at home. Good entertainment that kept the women in my life happy enough both young & old, as they enjoy a spot of shale action. Pleasant autumnal evening which stayed dry throughout & on reflection, well worth the trip for a close meeting.

KRTM Cool

Hornchurchspur
Junior Team Star

Sep 7, 2017, 12:48 AM

Post #360 of 369 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 1st Sept SGB Premiership
Belle Vue 54 Kings Lynn 39
Admission £16 (concession) Attendance c1500

Saturday 2nd Sept Travel Plus National League KO Cup Replay Second Leg
Stoke 49 Mildenhall 41 – aggregate Stoke 82 Mildenhall 98
Admission £11 (concession) Attendance c320

This minihop gave me the opportunity to witness both ends of the British speedway spectrum. The contrast between the virtually brand new National Speedway Stadium in Manchester and Stoke's down at heel Loomer Road venue could hardly be more stark. Belle Vue's new home has been purpose built for speedway with a wide, slightly banked track that was immaculately prepared with only two short breaks needed for track grading and watering on a sunny evening. The main stand offers excellent views of the racing and opposite on the back straight there is a large covered standing area. Unfortunately these two parts of the stadium are completely separate. The car park behind bends three and four can be used for temporary seating for big events but otherwise there is no connection between the two stands so it seems that there are almost first class and second class facilities. That said however the amenities in the main stand are fairly basic and certainly no better than any new build League Two or Conference ground. Loomer Road has one stand with bar, refreshment kiosk and track shop and that's it. The track is 35 metres shorter than Belle Vue's but is similarly shaped. Again it seemed well prepared but unfortunately events started 40 minutes late while we waited for the obligatory ambulance to turn up so by half way through the first and second bend had turned very dusty. We had one longish break while the water bowser crawled round but dust was back before the end but as we were running late I presume a decision was made not to water again.

The racing itself was ok.. At BelleVue it was very fast but not particularly exciting. I think the track was designed so that there would be a multitude of lines to allow overtaking but there wasn't much sign of this, indeed by the end every rider was hugging the outside. Kings Lynn started very slowly but eventually seemed to get the hang of the track and we saw a couple of decent races between home captain Craig Cook and ex Ace Michael Palm Toft, Cook making a good pass in the final heat to complete a six race paid maximum. Really however it was very much from the gate racing and make sure you've got a rocket ship for a bike. At Stoke similarly there wasn't much overtaking either and what there was generally was after riders lost control rather than through intended manoeuvres. Mildenhall heat leader Danny Halsey claimed the doubtful honour of managing to fall off in all four of his rides losing first, second and third places on different occasions. He did record one point when he remounted to finish a very distant third in a race when his partner had already been excluded for exceeding the two minute time allowance. Again there were two good races in heats 13 and 15 between Stoke's Number One Mitchell Davey and Mildenhall guest Ben Morley.

Belle Vue made a good effort at presentation with on track reporter Hayley coordinating with her colleague in the announcer's box. A clever touch I thought was the Chase the Ace mascot dressed as a rider whose antics kept the crowd amused between heats. Stoke's presentation was more traditional with just the basic announcer and musical interludes - everything was very low key but the “crowd” seemed ok with that. Overall though speedway just seems to stagger along into further decline – quite how Stoke can survive on crowds of this size is amazing and even the attendance at Belle Vue is a mere fraction of those in the old days. To be fair neither of the two matches had anything resting on them, Belle Vue were already secure in one of the top four play off spots (and had raced at home only two days before) and Stoke were most unlikely to claw back a 24 point deficit from the first leg of their cup tie.

At Belle Vue both teams were without their top men, one due to injury and the other riding for the GB Under 21 side. In previous years both teams would have promoted a reserve into the main body of the team and brought in a junior but instead this is now covered by rider replacement so that his team mates share his rides. This leads to delays when riders end up riding in two successive races and also to a repetitive nature of heats – it probably saves money though. Mildenhall were without their number one – he was riding for his other team Ipswich in a Championship meeting – so we had the other bane of speedway followers' lives, the guest replacement. I've nothing against Ben Morley but it does get rather farcical, especially when his mother announced to the handful of travelling Mildenhall supporters that she would see them again on Thursday, Friday and Sunday in the following week when Ben was again guesting for them at the Isle of Wight, Plymouth and Mildenhall respectively. The missing man, Connor Mountain, will be riding at Ipswich on the Thursday, for Ipswich at Edinburgh on Friday and again for Ipswich at Sheffield on Sunday. If he's still awake, I'm presuming he will appear for Mildenhall when they ride away at Eastbourne on the Saturday night in the second half of a double header. The first half of that meeting will feature Eastbourne v Lakeside who will no doubt field at No 5 – yes you've guessed it – Ben Morley, this time riding for his proper team (or at least his National League one, of course he also rides for Rye House in the Premiership). Mildenhall and Lakeside both need away points in their joint quest for the fourth play off place and no doubt Lakeside's fans will be happy with their rider attempting to displace his own team three times in four days.

I haven't checked out all the details but it seems that almost all active riders in Britain now represent teams in two different divisions and one or two I think appear in all three divisions. For instance the previously mentioned Craig Cook is captain of Belle Vue in the Premiership and Workington in the Championship. There are complicated rules governing which team the rider should appear for in case of both teams racing at the same time and earlier last week Rye House No 1 Chris Harris couldn't represent them in a crucial meeting away at Belle Vue as he was committed to ride for his Championship team Peterborough in a meaningless match in terms of league position. This is now so widespread that seeing three or four guests riders in a meeting is quite usual. How this helps the credibility of the sport I don't know but it is worrying when the Chairman of the Promoters Association says he would like to see more use of guests next season. I hope he's in a minority of one.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 7, 2017, 9:20 PM

Post #361 of 369 (3573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Stoke, my first visit to the Track, but did not see any familiar faces from Footie. I had previously been to St. Helens Town to see the first completed competitive Match at their new Ground !

Nothing to disagree with on your write-up but what with the delay and the not to brilliant Riding not exactly a night to remember. It did get worse as arriving at my Hotel in Stone around 22.00 and ready for a few Beers found that they had not received my Booking from Booking.com, so ended up in a dump in Stoke and no Beer, Tetley's only.

The only good point from the evening was the Shop selling old Progs, bought a New Cross (my 1st Track visited) vs West Ham from 1950 also an England vs Australia Test again at New Cross in 1950, both with decent illustrated covers for just £5 the pair, just imagine the price if Footie !

Hornchurchspur
Junior Team Star

Sep 9, 2017, 11:23 PM

Post #362 of 369 (3452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Wall] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd been at Port Vale v Notts County earlier in the day – that match wasn't much better than the speedway, my summary in WDYG.

The track shop did look to be well stocked although I didn't examine anything in detail. Just in case it's of interest if you go to http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/661/england-australia-1950 you'll find the result of the England v Australia match and a picture from one of the heats. It looks like it was slightly better attended than the Stoke v Mildenhall contest!

bagman

Sep 13, 2017, 6:46 PM

Post #363 of 369 (3279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 10th September 2017

Scunthorpe Scorpions 41 v 49 Edinburgh Monarchs (SGB Championship)

Admission £13 OAP Programme £1

EDINBURGH pulled off a dramatic comeback to win at Scunthorpe and give their SGB Championship play-off hopes a massive boost.

The Monarchs trailed 23-31 after nine races at the Eddie Wright Raceway but reeled off two 4-2s and then two 5-1s to take the lead – and guest Richie Worrall and Erik Riss then scored another 5-1 in Heat 15 for a 49-41 win and all four league points.

Worrall, in for Sam Masters, scored 13 and was unbeaten after his first ride, whilst Riss (10+3) and Ricky Wells (10+1) also hit double figures.

Jake Allen made a successful home debut for the Scorpions with 11 from four rides but was unable to prevent a tenth defeat on their own circuit this season.

Monarchs, meanwhile, are now five points ahead of fifth-placed Redcar who only have three away matches remaining.

Edinburgh boss John Campbell said: “It was an outstanding performance after the disappointment at Berwick (on Saturday) night.

“Mitchell Davey turned things round in an inspired heat 12 ride, and Richie Worrall was a great guest, very much part of the team. He was asking me over the latter heats what we needed to win.

“At one point with the drizzle falling I think Scunthorpe wanted to call it off, but I said we certainly don't want that - I think we can win this!”

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Regular

Sep 14, 2017, 1:45 AM

Post #364 of 369 (3226 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Saturday 9th September

French Speedway League and Flat Track Championship of the World

Macon Speedway, France

Admission, including glossy 4 page A4 programme €10
Beer, chips, sausages all €2

Crowd 120 headcount

Macon 24 v 18 Lamothe Landeron, after 7 heats.

Possibly the worst organised speedway event we have ever attended. Originally programmed as 2 speedway league fixtures, one at 2 p.m. and the other at 8 p.m. v Marmande; we decided the long wait between events was too much so booked tickets for Olympic Lyon v Guingamp in the evening and return train tickets to cover getting to and from the track.

First problem was the football being put back by a day with kick off after we had left. We then were advised that the FIM were holding a flat track championship the same day meaning speedway was raced between 4 and 8 p.m. with the flat track scheduled for 8.30 until midnight. Having already exchanged train tickets at a cost we decided to still just watch the match against Lamothe Landeron and take in some French cuisine and ales back in Lyon.

We arrived in Macon to be welcomed by torrential rain so did a bit of a pub crawl. With the sun showing an hour before start we hit our next problem trying to get a cab from the station. In spite of there being several numbers each seemed to not be working on the day, with the one we finally spoke with then failing to turn up. Ultimately we took one dropping someone at the station. Giving a healthy tip on the €15 fare we relied on our cabby then returning at the agreed finishing time of the first match.

On arriving bang on start time, instead of watching heat 1 we faced 45 minutes of practice, mainly flat track before witnessing our first French speedway action. A very swift 4 heats were then run before track grading so it seemed we would see our full quota of races until more flat track practice was held counting down the time. A further 3 speedway heats were held one immediately after the other before the next grading and out came the flat track bikes again.

The irony was that the 7 heats we saw were pretty good on a very fast track with several racing lines ideal for some tasty looking young French riders. We had kept in contact with the secretary of the away team prior to the meeting and she was not at all impressed with all the changes of start time and with the Marmande side coming from a similar distance their even later start would not have helped in their several hundred mile return home.

It is possible that fans may have turned out in force for the flat track, being a world championship but it was sad to see such a low attendance during our time there; especially as pre-match advertising in local press and posters was very impressive as was the cheap cost of admission. The track is worth a visit but I would recommend a stay in Macon itself if you attend and a hire car to get back after the meeting, which could go over to nt6he following day if this was anything to go by.

bagman

Sep 25, 2017, 8:58 PM

Post #365 of 369 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 23rd September 2017

National League

Belle Vue Colts 57 v 33 Eastbourne Eagles

Admission £8 OAP Programme £2

BELLE Vue secured top spot in the National League ahead of the play-offs with a 57-33 win over Eastbourne in Manchester.

The Colts climbed above the Eagles in the standings at cut-off time, holding off Kent on race-points difference.

Four home riders hit double figures at the National Speedway Stadium with stand-in skipper Rob Shuttleworth leading the way on 13+2 and Kyle Bickley adding 13+1. Guests Liam Carr (11+2) and Ben Wilson (10+2) also made significant contributions to the win.

Georgie Wood top-scored for the Eagles with 10+1, but it is now the Colts who get to choose their play-off opposition from Eastbourne, Kent and Lakeside.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2017, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #366 of 369 (2832 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Saturday 23rd September 2017

National League

Belle Vue Colts 57 v 33 Eastbourne Eagles

Admission £8 OAP Programme £2

BELLE Vue secured top spot in the National League ahead of the play-offs with a 57-33 win over Eastbourne in Manchester.

The Colts climbed above the Eagles in the standings at cut-off time, holding off Kent on race-points difference.

Four home riders hit double figures at the National Speedway Stadium with stand-in skipper Rob Shuttleworth leading the way on 13+2 and Kyle Bickley adding 13+1. Guests Liam Carr (11+2) and Ben Wilson (10+2) also made significant contributions to the win.

Georgie Wood top-scored for the Eagles with 10+1, but it is now the Colts who get to choose their play-off opposition from Eastbourne, Kent and Lakeside.

You could simply cut and paste the whole report from the SpeedwayGB website. Why do you bother posting on here? If there's anyone who wants to see what's missing from the above…

...Shuttleworth said: “We’ve got an idea of who we want to pick but we’re going to sleep on it.

“For now, we’re taking stock of what a fantastic season we’ve had so far and Saturday’s win was another remarkable milestone for us, and Eastbourne gave us a really good meeting.

“They have some quite big hitters in their team and I wouldn’t say we caught them on a bad night. I think it’d be more accurate to say it’s a reflection of our strength in depth especially at home.”

Credit: speedwaygb.co

Sporting (and other images) at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 881; Rugby Union 239; Rugby League 203; Cricket 88; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 25, 2017, 9:22 PM)

bagman

Sep 27, 2017, 5:31 PM

Post #367 of 369 (2666 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 24th September 2017

Admission £16 Programme £2.50

2017 NATIONAL LEAGUE RIDERS’ CHAMPIONSHIP: AT LEICESTER
(1st) Dan Bewley 15, (2nd) Matt Williamson 13, (3rd) Liam Carr 12, Tom Bacon 11, Ben Morley 11, Jordan Jenkins 10, Alfie Bowtell 9, Jon Armstrong 8, Josh Bailey 8, Luke Bowen 7, Adam Roynon 4, Ryan Terry-Daley 3, Tom Woolley 3, Luke Harris 3, Chris Widman 2, Conor Dwyer (res) 1, James Cockle 0.

Hornchurchspur
Junior Team Star

Oct 1, 2017, 1:33 AM

Post #368 of 369 (2423 views)
Shortcut

SGB Championship Play Off Final 2nd Leg
Ipswich Witches 44 Sheffield Tigers 46 (aggregate 81-99)
Admission £13 (concession) Attendance 2500?

Ipswich were 16 points behind after Thursday's first leg so it was always going to be a tall order to pull back the deficit although having won both the earlier league fixtures by double figure scores there was still hope tonight. The racing was close at the start but after seven heats Ipswich had managed to build a lead of six points on the night. Heat 8 brought the turning point of the evening. Newman led the race for the Witches with his partner in third place and was looking to extend the lead to eight points but on the second bend of the final lap he lost control and turned sideways . The three following riders were too close to miss him so we had a four man fall. Fortunately after a few minutes treatment all four were helped to their feet with no seemingly no serious injuries save for a suspected broken nose for Newman. Referee Bates had no choice but to exclude Newman and so a 4-2 to Ipswich turned into a 4-2 for Sheffield and Ipswich's lead on the night was reduced to four. They were only able to gain one other heat advantage for the rest of the evening and so Sheffield clinched the aggregate win by the end of Heat 13 and a Heat 15 4-2 gave them the bonus of a win on the night.

Ipswich's cause was not helped by missing the injured Sedgemen and Mountain – rider replacement for Sedgemen only yielded one point although Mountain's substitute Bowtell did ok with three paid six. Sheffield were missing Grajczonek who aggravated an injury during the first leg. As Sheffield's number one a guest replacement was allowed for him and they astutely were able to choose former Witch (and seven times British champion) Scott Nicholls. He scored 12 points in his five rides tonight - Grajczonek managed only six points in each of his league visits this season. Nicholls not only scored well but further enraged the Ipswich faithful by riding Ipswich reserve Greaves into the back straight fence in Heat 1. There was no way that the referee could have seen this from his position on the home straight but it was pretty clear to those of us near near bend three.

This was my first visit to Ipswich since the early 80's but it was nice to attend a speedway meeting with a crowd of a size that was commonplace in those days present. It was difficult to estimate how many were there in the dark but there were long queues at the turnstiles an hour before start time and the new seating on the back straight was very well populated. The track was re-shaped a few years ago and tonight's racing was much closer and more exciting than the gate and go I remember from previous visits.

Sheffield's win qualifies them for a promotion / relegation play off against the bottom team in the SGB Premiership Leicester. In a manner only speedway's management could contrive, both these teams are run by the same promotion and Messrs Bates, Bjerre and Howarth ride for both teams. There is much discussion on speedway forums about how these meetings should be run – one of the best suggestions being that the three of them should ride for both teams at the same time and just keep changing from Sheffield leathers to Leicester leathers and back again as the programme dictates!!

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Regular

Oct 2, 2017, 11:06 PM

Post #369 of 369 (2215 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
SGB Championship Play Off Final 2nd Leg
Ipswich Witches 44 Sheffield Tigers 46 (aggregate 81-99)
Admission £13 (concession) Attendance 2500?

Also at this one and my hangover confirms we are indeed the champions. Having seen all 4 league matches between the teams this season, I wasn't confident that 16 points would be enough. Certainly in the most recent fixture at Sheffield the Witches should have won until we went into overdrive with 4 5-1s in the final 4 heats.

Crowd given as over 4,500 which I wouldn't argue with from where I was sitting. Agree that Scott was responsible for Nathan's fall in heat 1 but I would suggest it was hard riding and not an attempt to knock him off. The irony being that Scott was born in Ipswich and Nathan in Sheffield. Having links with Ipswich Town I was sat with friends from there amongst the Witches fans, although sporting my Tigers colours, and was well impressed with the number of total strangers who offered their handshakes and best wishes afterwards. Top crowd.

Now faced with 2 very late nights to see the Promotion play off matches from my current base.

One correction to Hornchurchspur is that Kyle Howarth doesn't ride for Leicester, although it doesn't make the stupid regulation any better, especially when Tiger's team manager Simon Stead was denied riding for us when we went through a bad spell of injuries through some other ridiculous rule. Bolly already on ice in anticipation.

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3