Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Top non league team near Chesterfield

lovin spoonful
Youth Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 11:43 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2941 views)
Shortcut
Top non league team near Chesterfield Can't Post or Reply Privately

I might end up getting dragged to the mother in law's on Saturday 9th September. I can't bear a Saturday without football and as the Spirerites are away, I was wondering who the top non league teams are in the area.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 12:36 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #2 of 16 (2848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A quick look shows that Buxton are at home to Frickley Athletic in an FA Cup tie, (wrap up warm if you go there), or Staveley Miners Welfare are playing Hemsworth Miners Welfare, in the Northern Counties East League.

There will be other games in the area, but these are the highest teams (literally in the case of Buxton)

Enjoy wherever you get to

kivo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #3 of 16 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Staveley is a great set up and they work so hard on their ground.

Wouldnt be surprised to see them at Step 4 before long

grantham
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 30, 2017, 12:47 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Buxton v Frickley is THIS weekend

The Football Archives -------- Programmehut.com

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 30, 2017, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #5 of 16 (2822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A quick look shows that Buxton are at home to Frickley Athletic in an FA Cup tie, (wrap up warm if you go there), or Staveley Miners Welfare are playing Hemsworth Miners Welfare, in the Northern Counties East League.

There will be other games in the area, but these are the highest teams (literally in the case of Buxton)

These are September 2nd, not the 9th.

DarkSithLord
Youth Team Regular

Aug 30, 2017, 12:55 PM

Team(s): Alfreton Town

Post #6 of 16 (2800 views)
Shortcut

If you travel a little further afield and want to see some National League North action Alfreton Town are at home to Gainsbrough Trinity.

"the force is strong with this one"

genesimmons
Junior Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #7 of 16 (2734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarkSithLord] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Much closer than Buxton is alfreton, particularly on public transport. conference north is a good standard. Sheffield fc is also well worth a visit in nearby dronfield. Always enjoyed matlock, nice relaxed atmosphere. Never been to staveley yet, but i've have heard they have a good club house, a reason to go even if you ahve no intrest in either team playing.

You wanted the best, you got the best

ARNOLD241
Youth Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 2:35 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How about Matlock v Whitby in the Northern Prem? And you can go for a bag of chips and a go on the slots in Matlock Bath beforehand.

genesimmons
Junior Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 3:04 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #9 of 16 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARNOLD241] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
How about Matlock v Whitby in the Northern Prem? And you can go for a bag of chips and a go on the slots in Matlock Bath beforehand.

Thats on the radar for me. See a north east team and visit one if my favourite grounds

You wanted the best, you got the best

CleethorpesOggy
Junior Team Regular

Aug 30, 2017, 3:17 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #10 of 16 (2592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If going on public transport, Sheffield FC v Peterborough Sports would be a good option.

Dronfield is only 6/7 minutes on the train from Chesterfield and then a short walk to the ground (with a pub right outside!).

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Aug 30, 2017, 3:39 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If it was for this time next year then Chesterfield might be the top non-league club in the area Wink but I have to say Alfreton, Matlock, Sheffield and Staveley as mentioned are all well worth visiting. Alfreton is quirky and has a fabulous club shop plus great fans plus it's a comparative local derby against Gainsborough. Matlock is spectacularly picturesque being overlooked by Riber Castle. Sheffield does not stand up well to rain, but they are the world's oldest football club and worth a visit for that reason, and Staveley are continuing to develop an already excellent setup. Both Alfreton and Dronfield (for Sheffield FC) are only one station along the line in opposite directions, generally two trains an hour to Alfreton and hourly to Dronfield. The other two would be by bus from Chesterfield.

saturn
Junior Team Regular

Aug 30, 2017, 9:32 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2261 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Staveley v Hemsworth is THIS Saturday (2nd)

Smithy B
Ballboy/girl

Aug 31, 2017, 2:26 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2090 views)
Shortcut

In the FA Vase you've got

Long Eaton United vs Rainworth Miners Welfare
Clifton All Whites vs Harrowby United
Kimberley Miners Welfare vs Barrow Town
South Normanton Athletic vs Melton Town
Worksop Town vs Aylestone Park
Hucknall Town vs Clay Cross Town

I've probably missed one or two.

How far are you prepared to travel?

DarkSithLord
Youth Team Regular

Sep 12, 2017, 10:15 AM

Team(s): Alfreton Town

Post #14 of 16 (1224 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I might end up getting dragged to the mother in law's on Saturday 9th September. I can't bear a Saturday without football and as the Spirerites are away, I was wondering who the top non league teams are in the area.

Did you attend a game?

"the force is strong with this one"

lovin spoonful
Youth Team Star

Sep 13, 2017, 11:38 PM

Post #15 of 16 (927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarkSithLord] Top non league team near Chesterfield [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many thanks to all the advice, yes I was all set to go to Alfreton v Gainsborough but as the evening meal was moved from 7 to 6, Mansfield v Grimsby which was kicking off at 1 was a more sensible choice.
10 goals in 2 games wasn't a bad return!

lovin spoonful
Youth Team Star

Sep 14, 2017, 12:01 AM

Post #16 of 16 (916 views)
Shortcut

If their website wasn't so f*****g awkward, I might even watch the Spireites themselves when I go up at the weekend.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3