Pubs named after footballers/managers

eesti7
First Team Sub

Sep 5, 2017, 4:39 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #1 of 14 (3108 views)
Shortcut
Pubs named after footballers/managers Can't Post or Reply Privately

Last Thursday the Sir Alf Ramsay pub in Tunbridge Wells closed for good. It will soon be demolished and replaced by houses. Judging by the architecture I think it was built in the 1970s.

It got me wondering if there are any other pubs -past or present - that have been named after footballers or managers?

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Sep 5, 2017, 4:44 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2 of 14 (3103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Last Thursday the Sir Alf Ramsay pub in Tunbridge Wells closed for good. It will soon be demolished and replaced by houses. Judging by the architecture I think it was built in the 1970s.

It got me wondering if there are any other pubs -past or present - that have been named after footballers or managers?

Does The Lion of Vienna on Chorley New Road in Bolton count?

eesti7
First Team Sub

Sep 5, 2017, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #3 of 14 (3098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nice one! That's close enough.

Ropemaker
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 5, 2017, 5:37 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #4 of 14 (3084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There used to be a Duncan Edwards pub in Dudley

https://duncan-edwards.co.uk/duncan-edwards-pub/

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 5, 2017, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 14 (3083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or

Over stretching here but maybe worth a mention.... there's a Shankly Hotel (and bar) in Liverpool, which will soon have competition across the road from a new Dixie Dean Hotel/bar.

Going a little further off topic, but unlikely to deviate much further, is the Cheddar Ales brew, Gorge Best. Tried it in a pub near Bristol and most punters who bought it, myself included, inadvertently asked for a pint of George Best! Barman said it happens all the time.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 5, 2017, 5:56 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 14 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Jim Baxter's

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 6, 2017, 12:38 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #7 of 14 (2986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a pub just up from the football ground in Alton called 'The Gentleman Jim', which is named after ex-Portsmouth captain and manager and England international Jimmy Dickinson, who was born and lived in the town.

Dickinson played for Pompey during their Championship-winning seasons of 1948~49 and 1949~50, and also played in England's infamous 0-1 defeat against the USA in the 1950 World Cup. He was then manager of Pompey from 1977 to 1979, taking the side down into the fourth division for the first time in their history, but then turning things around. However, with promotion back up looking a strong possibility in the spring of 1979, he suffered a heart attack in the changing-rooms at Oakwell after a match v. Barnsley and never properly recovered. I can remember being at the first home match after he died in November 1982 for the two minutes silence before a match v. Hereford United. He is buried in the cemetery in Alton.

coops
First Team Sub

Sep 6, 2017, 12:56 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #8 of 14 (2970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a pub named after Billy Wright in Wolverhampton. Can't tell you how good it is as I have never been in it, mainly because on the rare occasions I venture into Wolvo I tend not to stray far from The Great Western, The Lych Gate and The Posada.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 7, 2017, 12:00 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Sir Tom Finney in Penwortham https://whatpub.com/...om-finney-penwortham

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 11, 2017, 9:13 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 14 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After retiring from football in 1974 Alex Ferguson bought a pub which he imaginatively renamed 'Fergie's".

willesden
Youth Team Star

Sep 11, 2017, 9:46 AM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic & Hull City & NW London Non League

Post #11 of 14 (2618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Herbert Chapman at 274 Holloway Rd in London seems to have closed.

Roger D
Youth Team Sub

Sep 28, 2017, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Prescot Panthers & Oxford RL

Post #12 of 14 (1795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willesden] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The new Dixie Dean is not the first time a pub of that name has been in Liverpool. When I lived there there was a Dixie's Bar a few minutes walk from Lime Street. Believe it's gone now, suffice to say in my three years in Liverpool it was one of the few city centre pubs I didn't visit.

I believe the Gentleman Jin in Alton has gone. There was certainly an attempt to turn it into housing a few years ago.

(This post was edited by Roger D on Sep 28, 2017, 1:03 PM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 22, 2017, 10:02 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #13 of 14 (557 views)
Shortcut

I went past a pub near Brentwood today called ‘The old Dog’. Must be named after Karen Brady.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 22, 2017, 11:05 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #14 of 14 (538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Pubs named after footballers/managers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a pub not far from here named The Cock which some have said is named after Dion Dublin,which I tend to doubt.......Cool

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3