Just not cricket

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 29, 2017, 3:34 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #1 of 17 (4305 views)
Shortcut
Just not cricket Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shenanigans in Pembrokeshire Division One title decider.

Carew declared last game of season against Cresselly on 18/1. So lost the match but denial of bonus points to opponents means they won the title by a point

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/41074513

In the league I umpire in the team batting second would receive maximum batting points for winning with a score under 200, so they've have needed a bigger lead in the table Smile

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

PaulC

Aug 29, 2017, 4:48 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #2 of 17 (4293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Carew declared last game of season against Cresselly on 18/1. So lost the match but denial of bonus points to opponents means they won the title by a point

In the league I umpire in the team batting second would receive maximum batting points for winning with a score under 200, so they've have needed a bigger lead in the table Smile

I hope the league can charge them with bringing the game into disrepute by deliberately 'throwing' a match.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 29, 2017, 5:24 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #3 of 17 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A 2 point deduction would seem a far punishment if found guilty of breaking any league rules.

Steelback
First Team Star

Aug 29, 2017, 8:32 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #4 of 17 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Worcestershire did the same thing in 2003 in the Div 2 final game title decider v Northamptonshire, declaring when 8 down to stop Northamptonshire getting a final bonus point.

Get rid of bonus points and you don't have this problem plus more teams would try to win games rather than settle for a high scoring draw

Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 Winners

jon b
First Team Star

Aug 29, 2017, 11:48 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #5 of 17 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Shades of Trevor Chappell's 1981 underarm ball.

No doubt, as with the above, it'll result in a rule change.

Ropemaker

Aug 30, 2017, 12:23 AM

Post #6 of 17 (4186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 1979, Somerset declared in a Benson and Hedges Cup Group game v Worcestershire after 1 over, losing the game but protecting their "strike rate" to ensure qualification.

However, they were expelled from the competition for bringing the game into disrepute.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Aug 30, 2017, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #7 of 17 (4134 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In 1979, Somerset declared in a Benson and Hedges Cup Group game v Worcestershire after 1 over, losing the game but protecting their "strike rate" to ensure qualification.

However, they were expelled from the competition for bringing the game into disrepute.

Indeed, I remember it well, and it was the first thing I thought of when I read this story. Brian Rose was the Somerset captain.

Somerset hadn't actually broken any rules/laws, and their expulsion was a little spurious (even though I'm a Worcs man).

However, it should be noted that the vote to expel them was 16 to 1, and Somerset actually voted in favour of being expelled. I think it was Derbyshire who voted against.

The laws were subsequently changed (though not at all levels, it would seem) to outlaw declarations in limited overs cricket.

(This post was edited by AnotherGlassboy on Aug 30, 2017, 11:12 AM)

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Aug 30, 2017, 11:14 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #8 of 17 (4130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Worcestershire did the same thing in 2003 in the Div 2 final game title decider v Northamptonshire, declaring when 8 down to stop Northamptonshire getting a final bonus point.

Get rid of bonus points and you don't have this problem plus more teams would try to win games rather than settle for a high scoring draw

I'm sure that's far from unique. Declarations in "first class" cricket are a slightly different kettle of fish, although I take your point.

EDIT - besides, we were only getting our own back for the day Geoff Cook refused to follow on at New Road (he actually pretended he hadn't seen Phil Neale's signal), and both teams came out to field!

FURTHER EDIT - Not the only Worcs/Northants declaration furore...

https://theviewfromlightwoodspark.wordpress.com/tag/geoff-boycott/

I was there to witness the Cook/Neale incident. It was towards the end of the day, only about six overs left or so. It wasn't sorted out until overnight calls to Lords, and the upshot was Northants did indeed follow on, with those missing overs tagged on to the next day's play.

(This post was edited by AnotherGlassboy on Aug 30, 2017, 11:20 AM)

Ropemaker

Aug 30, 2017, 12:21 PM

Post #9 of 17 (4112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed, I remember it well, and it was the first thing I thought of when I read this story. Brian Rose was the Somerset captain.

The laws were subsequently changed (though not at all levels, it would seem) to outlaw declarations in limited overs cricket.

The Pembroke incident was in a declaration game, a format used in many leagues up and down the country.

There, the game was of 90 overs duration. The team batting first can bat up to 45 overs (or whatever limit has been set) but can declare at any time.

The bowling side then get the remaining overs to score the runs or be bowled out. Otherwise the game is a draw (or possibly tie of course).

acmold

Aug 30, 2017, 1:45 PM

Post #10 of 17 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

Discussed on TSM along with cheating in Chess, a Grandmaster was going to the toilet after ever move. He had a phone hidden and was putting ever move into chess program to get advice. Not all chocolate cakes and pigeons.

Ropemaker

Aug 30, 2017, 2:44 PM

Post #11 of 17 (4069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Discussed on TSM along with cheating in Chess, a Grandmaster was going to the toilet after ever move. He had a phone hidden and was putting ever move into chess program to get advice. Not all chocolate cakes and pigeons.

Reminds me of a story I read once

A chess Grandmaster was playing ten games BLINDFOLDED at the same time. The trick in this being to keep the games as different as possible but the ten players had got together beforehand and agreed to play the same moves but in a different order.

So a hopelessly confused Grandmaster excused himself to the toilet and made his escape via a window

Ropemaker

Sep 15, 2017, 12:31 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I hope the league can charge them with bringing the game into disrepute by deliberately 'throwing' a match.

Carew to face disrepute charge. Hearing due on 26 Sep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/41253545

(This post was edited by Ropemaker on Sep 15, 2017, 12:33 PM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 15, 2017, 3:36 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #13 of 17 (3324 views)
Shortcut

Can't agree with the general condemnation.

Rules is rules - and the point of being a smart skipper is to use the rules to the full advantage.

A game is a competitive encounter, and to claim ignorance of the rules or that complain that the other side is smarter than you is for losers.

Sure, the rules committee needs to get smart and rewrite things for subsequent seasons, and what Carew did was sneaky sure - but I guess most of us, given the chance, would want our side to do the same.

Similarly remember the Brian Rose incident too - and equally thought he was correct (tho perhaps he might have had to refund entrance moneys..)

Ropemaker

Sep 27, 2017, 12:06 PM

Post #14 of 17 (2865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Following League meeting, Carew remain champions but have been relegated

They are appealing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...-west-wales-41404646

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Sep 27, 2017, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #15 of 17 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Yes - I saw this.

In my view a terrible decision. Rules are rules and you play to them - and if a rule is found to be faulty, change it afterwards - but you can't go back in time and change what was the state of play at the start of the game.

A case in point is the RL rule that led to Whitehaven's golden point win over York recently

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 27, 2017, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #16 of 17 (2822 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Following League meeting, Carew remain champions but have been relegated

They are appealing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...-west-wales-41404646

Are they appealing against being crowned champions or being relegated?

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

May 15, 2018, 9:44 AM

Post #17 of 17 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Just not cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just bumping this thread from last year to mention that, as is the way of things, Cresselly have been drawn to host Carew in the Dyfed group of the National Village Cup! The game is down for Sunday 27th May.

Could be a spicy affair.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3