First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2017, 2:48 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #1 of 75 (7110 views)
Shortcut
Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 Can't Post or Reply Privately

With all the recent hype about the opening day of the Premiership/Premier League I thought I would check where I went on that day.
I was at Cranleigh v Malden Town in the Combined Counties League 3-0 att 55. To be honest I remember nothing of the match itself and barely anything of the ground itself. It was a lovely warm day (as always seems to be for the FL season...I always think that is a good day for a football hating bride to choose for a wedding day). I got a lift I think from stroller from East Croydon station which I was happy with as it seemed awkward to get to by bus. Mick Wilson from the Isthmian League came with us and Cranleigh did a prog with a lovely blue cover. Listened to Danny Baker on 6-0-6 on the car radio on the way back, he was on top form and very dismissive of the Premier League concept.
Anyone else with memories of where they went that day?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 24, 2017, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 75 (7088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Opening day of what's now the Championship and it'll be a long time before this fixture is replicated at that level - Tranmere 2-0 Cambridge. The start of a run of results that led to John Beck's demise, having almost taken Cambridge into the inaugural Premier League the previous season.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2017, 4:00 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #3 of 75 (7071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saltergate for Chesterfield 1-2 Barnet, Barclays League Division Three. Attendance: 3,140
A revisit, but I did like Barry Fry's attacking style of football so watched quite a few of Barnet's away matches back then.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2017, 4:31 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 75 (7056 views)
Shortcut

I went to Bristol City 3 Portsmouth 3 at Ashton Gate with my mate Stuart. While the glitzy world of the new Premiership was kicking off, it was all 'kicking off' in the other sense of the phrase in the dinosaur world of the old/new Division One.

Within a couple of minutes of getting off the train at Temple Meads station, we were chased by a gang of City fans into the pub across the road, where we found another dozen Pompey fans sheltering from the growing mob of cider-guzzlers outside while they grabbing any handy pool cues or convenient lumps of heavy wood (we tried to look insignificant somewhere at the back!). The police were eventually there in force and we made our escape for the ground, where there was more neanderthal rucking taking place in the park opposite.

Once safely on the open terrace, we watched on as a large number of Pompey fans charged into the main stand to re-enact some of the close-quarters battle scenes from the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, while City fans smashed up their own seats and lobbed them onto the pitch. Avon & Somerset's finest, already pumped up from a summer of cracking the heads of joyriders on the nearby Hartcliffe housing estate, immediately started laying into anyone within extended trunchon reach.

As far as the match was concerned, Pompey went one-down in the first minute, were two-one up within nine minutes, and went in three-two down at half-time. In the second half, Guy Whittingham had two (or maybe three?) goals disallowed before sealing his hat-trick against a City defence that seemed totally ignorant to the meaning of the new back-pass rule. After all that excitement, the players calmed down for the final twenty minutes as the heat and sunshine finally took their toll. Following his £400,000 move from Tottenham, Paul Walsh made his debut for Pompey, but was not fully match-fit and was substituted early in the second-half as the Bristol City fans chanted "What a waste of money!" However, his lack of fitness was down to a cold - once we was over that he played like a man much younger than his thirty years, and went on to score ten goals for us that season and created a huge number of the 47 scored by Guy Whittingham, and he is still without doubt the best player I've ever seen play in a Pompey shirt.

Despite his 6ft 3in frame and not inconsiderable bulk, my pal Stuart was so rattled by the urban combat shenanigans he'd witnessed pre-kick-off that he insisted we evacuate Bristol immediately after the match and book into a b&b in the much more tranquil environs of Bath instead, where we also listened to Danny Baker on 606. We then went on a crawl of Bath's fine pubs and then to a cinema to watch 'Lethal Weapon III', a film where the final body count seemed only marginally higher than that in and around Ashton Gate that afternoon.

On the way home on Sunday afternoon, we took in the fine pubs of Salisbury.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Aug 24, 2017, 4:38 PM)

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 24, 2017, 4:47 PM

Post #5 of 75 (7043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Leverstock Green versus New Bradwell St Peter, rather mundane 3-0 victory to the homesters in front of 67 people. That was my third SML game of the season having already been to AC Delco at the old Waterlows ground the previous Saturday and a midweek visit to Flamstead, both games were Traveller heavy. The following Tuesday saw me at Roche 4 Padstow 2 in the East Cornwall League in front of 89 fans, admission was 50p. And far more exciting than the hinterland of Hemel and Luton/Dunstable.

dottirofhod

Aug 24, 2017, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #6 of 75 (7038 views)
Shortcut

Muirkirk 0 v Auchinleck 5.
Ayrshire Regional L.C. Group 1.
15-00.
Att. 340. Nearly all Talbot.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 72 / 61 / 11 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 23 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

jrev61

Aug 24, 2017, 5:15 PM

Team(s): None

Post #7 of 75 (7027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Like AC Mold I was at a South Midlands League game:

Totternhoe 1 Pirton 1

No problems with the bus to Luton after the game!

jrev61

Steelback
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2017, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #8 of 75 (7017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a 100% sure but I think I was at Boston United 0 Runcorn 0 on the opening weekend of the Conference Season. The final fixture of the previous season was also Boston United v Runcorn if memory serves me.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2017, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #9 of 75 (6985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bradford City 3-1 Chester City in Barclays League Division 2. Went with a Chester-supporting mate of mine, who actually joined me in the home Kop. Not sure how he managed to keep quiet when Chester had the temerity to take the lead, but I certainly didn't keep quiet as we banged 3 in Cool

scottywalds
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2017, 7:43 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #10 of 75 (6975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not a 100% sure but I think I was at Boston United 0 Runcorn 0 on the opening weekend of the Conference Season. The final fixture of the previous season was also Boston United v Runcorn if memory serves me.

Season started on the 22nd that season. I started going that season (we finished bottom), but not until January. I was 6.

http://bufc.drfox.org.uk/seas92.html

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 24, 2017, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #11 of 75 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Football League Div 1.
Leicester City 2.
Luton Town 1.
Filbert Street.
Attendance 17,428.

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 24, 2017, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #12 of 75 (6969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic League action for me, as I visited North Leigh and saw them beaten 2-1 by Yarnton
Despite this, the home club were promoted to the Premier Division at the end of the season

North Leigh were 1-0 up at half time, through a Mervyn Keen penalty
Substitute Dale Macer equalised in the 78th minute, and Darren Henderson got a last minute winner
It cost £1 to enter, programme included, and the attendance was 67

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Tim

Aug 24, 2017, 8:36 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #13 of 75 (6949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League season didn't start until the following week so probably nowhere.

The Moose
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2017, 9:19 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 75 (6932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WESTERN LGE DIV ONE: BISHOP SUTTON 1 ILFRACOMBE TOWN 2

Visit to top up the Wezzie League again with BS joining that season with an attendance of 85 so evidently it didn't capture the locals imagination too much.

KRTM Cool

acmold

Aug 24, 2017, 9:50 PM

Post #15 of 75 (6917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Hellenic League action for me, as I visited North Leigh and saw them beaten 2-1 by Yarnton
Despite this, the home club were promoted to the Premier Division at the end of the season

North Leigh were 1-0 up at half time, through a Mervyn Keen penalty
Substitute Dale Macer equalised in the 78th minute, and Darren Henderson got a last minute winner
It cost £1 to enter, programme included, and the attendance was 67

Mervyn Keen should have played much higher but did not want to, think he played for Witney for a while but quite often played in the Witney League. Macer and Henderson played for most clubs in the area at some point. I think some of my ex Sunday player colleagues were playing for Yarnton that season.

The season for some reason started a week or two late in 1992/93.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2017, 10:04 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #16 of 75 (6911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nowhere. The 92/93 season was the most recent one where I didn't attend any games.

Chris1963

Aug 24, 2017, 10:30 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #17 of 75 (6903 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
With all the recent hype about the opening day of the Premiership/Premier League I thought I would check where I went on that day.
I was at Cranleigh v Malden Town in the Combined Counties League 3-0 att 55. To be honest I remember nothing of the match itself and barely anything of the ground itself. It was a lovely warm day (as always seems to be for the FL season as it seemed awkward to get to by bus. Cranleigh did a prog with a lovely blue cover.
Anyone else with memories of where they went that day?

You were lucky to get a programme at Cranleigh - they didn't issue when I went for a Saturday game three years earlier. As recently as February this year I walked past the ground (en route to Alfold) and the ground now has floodlights and cover for spectators. It may well be the best ground in the Surrey Intermediate League, or whatever league Cranleigh are playing in now. The town is easy to get to by bus from Guildford - buses run as often as once every twenty minutes at busy times.

But to get to the point - on 15th August 1992, I was at Stratford Town's old Masons Road ground to see them defeat Barwell 5-1 in a Midland Alliance game (programme issued) This was notable for being Barwell's first ever competitive game as they had been formed from a merger over the summer. My only regret is that I didn't bother taking any photos of the ground as it has since been demolished, although it does at least appear on Google Earth's timeline feature.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2017, 11:07 PM

Post #18 of 75 (6882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No idea as it would have been a Fareham PSF and I dont keep records for those.

Southern League didn't start until the following Saturday.

Season starting towards the end of August, now those were the days...

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Loiner
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2017, 11:13 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #19 of 75 (6878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Lancashire League Division 2

Haslingdem v Carnforth Rangers 5-2.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2017, 10:30 AM

Post #20 of 75 (6809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kitzbuehel beer festival in Austria. Not much memory of the event as by mid afternoon I was probably four sheets to the wind. Attempted over several years to try the whole range of beers available always with the same reaction and failed; a bracketed tick.

dottirofhod

Aug 25, 2017, 2:11 PM

Post #21 of 75 (6759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Like AC Mold I was at a South Midlands League game:

Totternhoe 1 Pirton 1

No problems with the bus to Luton after the game!
==========================================================
For my benefit John Wink

=========================================================

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 72 / 61 / 11 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 23 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

zebedee
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2017, 2:46 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #22 of 75 (6750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No match - I was on holiday with my family at Brem-sur-Mer in the Vendee. I would have been eight at the time.

stingray
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2017, 3:16 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #23 of 75 (6735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nowhere - I didn't go to any football matches between March 1983 and May 1999 which covered my late teens and all of my 20s.

Didn't think anything of it at the time but looking back, it was pretty much all of the 1990s wasted Unsure

2019/20 stats

21 goals in 6 games
£70.60 spent

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 25, 2017, 8:05 PM

Post #24 of 75 (6693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rayners Lane 1 Shortwood United 2
Hellenic League.Premier Division

I would have gone by train to this match,making use of my Network South East railcard which I used a lot back in the 90s.
According to my records,programme issued and an attendance of 48.

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

(This post was edited by Warwickian on Aug 25, 2017, 10:22 PM)

dottirofhod

Aug 25, 2017, 8:12 PM

Post #25 of 75 (6688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Warwickian] Where Did You Go? Saturday 15th August 1992 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Programme used ?
No toilet paper ?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3