Edinburgh Fringe - The Giant-killers

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 20, 2017, 4:06 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1 of 3 (3588 views)
Shortcut
Edinburgh Fringe - The Giant-killers Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just noticed this whilst leafing through the 460 pages of the Fringe festival programme.

"The Giant-killers
Long Lane Theatre Company
In the late 19th century, football and the FA Cup were only for the elite. That is until a penniless group of millworkers from Darwen do the unthinkable and change the beatiful game for ever.
Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre, Rose Street."

I wonder if there are discounts for authentic Darreners.

jrev61

Aug 20, 2017, 11:04 PM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 3 (3504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Edinburgh Fringe - The Giant-killers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just noticed this whilst leafing through the 460 pages of the Fringe festival programme.

"The Giant-killers
In the late 19th century, football and the FA Cup were only for the elite. That is until a penniless group of millworkers from Darwen do the unthinkable and change the beatiful game for ever.

I believe Prorege of this parish included a review of the show with a report of a football match in Edinburgh. I seem to remember he was impressed.

jrev61

PaulC

Aug 20, 2017, 11:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 3 (3486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Edinburgh Fringe - The Giant-killers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

"The Giant-killers

I believe Prorege of this parish included a review of the show with a report of a football match in Edinburgh. I seem to remember he was impressed.

It has certainly got very good reviews. I had missed Prorege's review - thanks for pointing it out.

I light-heartedly tweeted the writers suggesting there should be discounts for bona fide Darreners and they replied offering complimentary tickets! I'd already bought by then, but I'm meeting them after the show on Thursday.

I'm sure I'll be in two minds about it - I dare say it might well be good drama but I suspect it will only have a nodding acquaintance with the facts! I never thought I would ever see the great Fergie Suter being depicted on stage though.

It was only recently that I discovered, whilst working on the family tree, that my great-grandfather, having played for Bolton Wanderers and then having gone to the US where he was credited with recruiting the first team of Englishmen to play a US team, returned to England to marry and was playing in the Darwen team by 1882, alongside a couple of England internationals, just a couple years after the 1879-80 events. In the late 1890s he was secretary of the club in the years leading up to their departure from the Football League.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Aug 20, 2017, 11:48 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3