Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Oxford City F.A 2017/18

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 16, 2017, 6:31 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1986 views)
Shortcut
Oxford City F.A 2017/18 Can't Post or

No full line up on Full Time but Florence Park, Great Milton and The Original Swan have been added to the 2016/17 line up. Great Milton are from the Aylesbury League. Florence Park is just about visible from my bedroom window, there are pitches in the park but no changing rooms near them. There is a fantastic 1930's wooden pavilion but I doubt that will be used. The Original Swan is a pub less than a mile from my house, think it's Arkells. Dorchester say on their Twitter fed they have joined the league.

The top two from last season Summertown Stars and Lusitanos have moved to the OSL. East Oxford may well have added United to their name. Union Street will be playing on the new floodlit 3G facility at Oxford Academy in Littlemore a ten minute walk from my house. And Mason Arms should be back at Quarry Rec.

FCUtdWill
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 16, 2017, 6:45 PM

Team(s): Huddersfield Town, Gibraltar

Post #2 of 7 (1983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford City F.A 2017/18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've got this as a provisional constitution based on what they have said on their Facebook page:

Chequers
Chinnor A
East Oxford
Florence Park (new)
Great Milton Reserves (new)
Headington Butchers
Masons Arms
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Irish (new)
Thame United Churches
The Original Swan (new)
Union Street

http://www.englishfootballdatabase.weebly.com

acmold

Aug 16, 2017, 7:53 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FCUtdWill] Oxford City F.A 2017/18 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Just looked at that which appears to be from June. Chinnor have 1st and Reserves in Hellenic and Development in OSL Two. Dorchester on their Twitter are still saying they are in the league and have played a friendly. May have gone elsewhere, they seem to have had a falling out with the North Berks.

Tim

Aug 22, 2017, 11:02 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 7 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford City F.A 2017/18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Constitution now on Full Time. Dorchester are indeed in the line up. Molders will no doubt be able to tell us more, including perhaps the venues for most of these teams.

acmold

Aug 24, 2017, 8:03 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Oxford City F.A 2017/18 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Now 13 clubs

In particular order and some guessing

Oxford Brookes University IV are Wheatley Campus that is alongside the A40 as you come into Oxford / Headington. One pitch has been used by Oxford United Youth in past. There are a number of pitches at the Campus. Presume they are IV as top three teams are in Midland Divisions of University football.

Union Street down as Sandy Lane though they said they were at the new 3G at Oxford Academy. Sandy Lane is three almost derelict pitches as you enter Blackbird Leys,

South Park Rangers, new team playing at Cowley Marsh, used in the past by a number of clubs going back many years. Presume some OSL clubs will also be playing there. It is going to be partly built on in the near future. It's located on the boundary of Oxford and Cowley next to the Withey Ditch, it's the last thing on Cowley Road, Oxford before the road becomes Oxford Road, Cowley - I think. South Park is an actual park but I don't think it has any pitches these days, it tends to stage concerts and Trendy Wendy things now.

Florence Park Boys are a new team, Florence Park is a park named after a lady called Florence and the local pub is the Jolly Post Boys (150 yards from my house as the crow flies) where Welsh used to be spoken. Now an expensive foody pub for Trendy Wendy's with no dress sense and BO - to quote my cousin. But it says they are playing at Oxford Academy (3G?) in Sandy Lane West, Littlemore. That's Peers School (old boy Mark Wright) in old money and is near to the Kassam Stadium.

The Original Swan are a new team and it's pub (Arkells of Swindon) on the corner of Oxford Road, Cowley and Between Towns Road near the Chavley Centre and the worlds worst Weatherspoons. They are down to play in the Abingdon Road. A number of college grounds are in the Abingdon Road but it usually ends up being Brasnose College where a number of teams have played before, including Oxford United Youth. It's very near Oxford City's old White House Ground, now Pegasus Court irony by default. It floods a lot.

Chinnor "A" if that is correct they have four teams this season. They used to play in the Wycombe League. They will play on one of the former Chinnor pitches.

Great Milton Res, 1st team in the Aylesbury League, though the first team were going to transfer to the OSL a few years ago but folded and the Reserves became the 1st team and stayed in the Aylesbury League. Great Milton is famous for the restaurant owned by the French chef off the telly - Ray White. And it features in Midsomer Murders.

Dorchester are the ex North Berks club who appear to have had a falling out with the NBL if their Tweets are anything to go by. The Abbey is very large, the town has featured in Midsomer Murders and one of the antique (Jonty) experts off the TV lives their.

Chequers, East Oxford, Thame United Churches, Headington Butchers and Masons Arms are down as Council TBC3. A number of these games are likely to take place at Horspath Road on outer pitches, the same place as Headington Ams play.

Chequers is pub not sure if it's the one in the High St or the one in Headington Quarry. East Oxford is the area around the Cowley Road which is famous for is varied cuisine and a vinyl store where no one uses deodorant. Thame United Churches tend to flit between Thame (think they played on a back pitch at Thame United) and Horspath Road, don't know why. Used to be in the (now defunct) Chiltern Churches League a few season's back. Headington Butchers is a pub in Headington in the back streets near to the old Manor Ground. The Masons Arms is a pub in Headington Quarry where a former poster and assistant Groundhop organiser frequents. It used to stage dodgy Disco's when I was a youngster. I presume if the council ever rebuild the changing rooms at Quarry Rec they will move back there as it's a 100 yards from the pub. Masons Arms tend to wear old Quarry Nomads kit. The landlords of the Masons (which is the old bog brewery) are the sons of an ex professional goalkeeper who played for Reading.

Probably most of the above will end up wrong.

knmeynell
Youth Team Star

Aug 24, 2017, 11:44 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1341 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Chequers is pub not sure if it's the one in the High St or the one in Headington Quarry.

Is Steve Jenkins (former Oxford City) not the landlord of the one in Headington Quarry?

In Reply To
The Masons Arms is a pub in Headington Quarry where a former poster and assistant Groundhop organiser frequents.

Indeed where I frequent when back in the UK.

acmold

Aug 25, 2017, 7:13 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knmeynell] Oxford City F.A 2017/18 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Yes Jenks is the Landlord of the Chequers.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3