Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Rules of Groundhopping.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 7, 2017, 1:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #76 of 113 (3611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fully agree Paul , you must try to stop this annoying habit.

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
B. 0-0-0 - ( 0- 0 - 0 -0) - ( 0- 1 - 0 - 0)
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

I have impeccable credentials.

Climate Change
Youth Team Regular

Aug 7, 2017, 2:04 PM

Post #77 of 113 (3570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Who gives a toss what other people do , of no interest to me but this discussion raises its ugly head once in a while , usually carried on and on by the anything counts brigade.

Have you highlighted usually as you have posted 13 comments on this thread?

dottirofhod

Aug 7, 2017, 2:57 PM

Post #78 of 113 (3520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Careful CC your on a yellow.

Also doesn't help your Clique application.

Eng. 0- 0- 0- 0 -0- ( 0- 0) - ( I=0- N=0-S= 0 )- (IN =0 -IS=1 - NN=1- NS=0 - SC=-0-SC=0 ) - (CC= 1- 0-0 -0- 0-0- 0- 0-0-0-0- 0-0 -0) - ( 0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0 -0- 0- 0- 0- 0- 0 -0 -0 -0 -0- 0). TBC.

Benelux.
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

acmold

Aug 7, 2017, 3:54 PM

Post #79 of 113 (3488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
It's up to the individual to what they count.

But sadly, there are too many of the groundhoppers who think that because their rules are different from my rules, they must be right and I must be wrong.

It does get very very tiresome

I used to get a regular stern lecture on such by a fellow Traveller, he had a "no overlap" rule but counted Cardiff and FGR!.

Lionarm
Youth Team Sub

Aug 7, 2017, 5:00 PM

Post #80 of 113 (3445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't actually groundhop as such but didn't think this was worth a new thread.

My 'rules' for watching football are:
1. Go to a match where a programme is issued (so far only men/youth). Teamsheet is o.k. E-prog just acceptable.

2. Watch a TEAM that I haven't seen play before (maybe two).
3. A new ground is worth more.
(therefore two new teams on new ground is ultimate)
4. A renamed team should be seen again.
5. A new groundshare is worth a little bit more.

6. Break rule 2 but not rule 1 if I can help it.

This I do because I don't like travelling (only arriving) and consider it a waste of time and money.

I keep basic records along with the programmes but I neither count nor care about anything else. I respect the views of those who do, but it is funny to see the argument over what constitutes a new ground.

BTW I'm in Kent so support Kent teams or if there is none or two playing I 'support' the home team (although even this can change depending on score or fair play)

KnowYourMarket

Aug 7, 2017, 10:03 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #81 of 113 (3328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leo went fishing and he's caught a big one.

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

dottirofhod

Aug 7, 2017, 10:32 PM

Post #82 of 113 (3302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He knew what he was doing , lit blue touch paper and retired.

Benelux.
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Aug 8, 2017, 12:20 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 8, 2017, 12:07 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #83 of 113 (3125 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
He knew what he was doing , lit blue touch paper and retired.

It's not often anyone says I know what I'm doing

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Bradshaw
Youth Team Regular

Aug 9, 2017, 5:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #84 of 113 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have a broom that is forty years old. In that time I have replaced the brush twice and the handle three times.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2017, 6:15 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #85 of 113 (2855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have a broom that is forty years old. In that time I have replaced the brush twice and the handle three times.

Is your name Trigger?

scottsas
Youth Team Star

Aug 10, 2017, 2:11 AM

Post #86 of 113 (2758 views)
Shortcut

It's wonderful reading this thread.
What it does underline is all our own individual natural passion for football, grounds, and travelling. We all embrace these in differnt ways, but it is common to us all.
I think it is Andy D who says there are no rules; and exiledyorkie says we all have our own rules, and we are all equal; and I love Hoddy's comments where he has clearly defined rules. I respect everyone's opinions. An opinion is a validly held point of view, it doesn't have to be right or wrong.
We are all correct, and none of us are wrong.
At the Sunday PDFL hop last week we had a most unfortunate abandonment after 10 mins play at the first game of the day. Back on the bus Chris asked for a show of hands on who counted the game (about 8-10), and who didn't (also about 8-10, including myself); with another 20-25 not voting or not minding. I think that sums it up, we are all comfortable in what we watch, what we count and how we record.

For my own part -
As long as I have seen 45 mins (equivalent of half a game) then I count it (whether that is due to abandonment or late arrival due to traffic etc);
Wembley old and new is the same 'ground' to me;
I count womens (it's where many of the new grounds are coming these days, in the various venues used);
if there are 2 adjacent pitches, both grass, and I have seen games on both then I count it as one ground, with a (2) to indicate 2 pitches at that 1 ground;
however if the adjacent pitches are grass and astro then I count that as 2 grounds!;

So I'll leave it there - there are no rules, and we all derive great enjoyment from what we do, and from meeting each other in a variety of places.

Enjoy 2017-18, wherever you go. Football is a game of opinions, it is that that makes it the great game that it is.

coops
First Team Sub

Aug 13, 2017, 6:25 AM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #87 of 113 (2530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottsas] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I mainly combine my hopping with days / weekends out and usually only use public transport as I do like to find a decent pub somewhere nearby if possible (or a bad pub if that is the only option, even a Wetherspoons will do if I really have to!)

So with that in mind my only rule is, if I see some football, the ground counts, don't care if I'm a bit late because I've misjudged the walk or the last beer was too nice not to have another half.
Will happily leave early if it's just too bloody cold or wet, especially if there is no cover, or if it means waiting ages afterwards for a bus or train when missing the last few minutes means I can catch an earlier one.
Groundshares, friendlies, pub football, whatever, don't care, if I see football the ground counts.
Re-visits for abandonments, rebuilds, new tenants etc. will be considered only if there is a decent boozer in the vicinity.

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Sub

Aug 13, 2017, 10:56 AM

Team(s): Linfield, Camelon Juniors, Rangers, Spennymoor

Post #88 of 113 (2457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottsas] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's wonderful reading this thread.
What it does underline is all our own individual natural passion for football, grounds, and travelling. We all embrace these in differnt ways, but it is common to us all.
I think it is Andy D who says there are no rules; and exiledyorkie says we all have our own rules, and we are all equal; and I love Hoddy's comments where he has clearly defined rules. I respect everyone's opinions. An opinion is a validly held point of view, it doesn't have to be right or wrong.
We are all correct, and none of us are wrong.
At the Sunday PDFL hop last week we had a most unfortunate abandonment after 10 mins play at the first game of the day. Back on the bus Chris asked for a show of hands on who counted the game (about 8-10), and who didn't (also about 8-10, including myself); with another 20-25 not voting or not minding. I think that sums it up, we are all comfortable in what we watch, what we count and how we record.

For my own part -
As long as I have seen 45 mins (equivalent of half a game) then I count it (whether that is due to abandonment or late arrival due to traffic etc);
Wembley old and new is the same 'ground' to me;
I count womens (it's where many of the new grounds are coming these days, in the various venues used);
if there are 2 adjacent pitches, both grass, and I have seen games on both then I count it as one ground, with a (2) to indicate 2 pitches at that 1 ground;
however if the adjacent pitches are grass and astro then I count that as 2 grounds!;

So I'll leave it there - there are no rules, and we all derive great enjoyment from what we do, and from meeting each other in a variety of places.

Enjoy 2017-18, wherever you go. Football is a game of opinions, it is that that makes it the great game that it is.

Very well put sir.

dottirofhod

Aug 14, 2017, 2:50 AM

Post #89 of 113 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BelfastBlue] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Poser for you all.

Friday just gone Loko Tbilisi v Torpedo was abandoned after 85 mins , fighting in stands. 2-0 at time.

Remaining 5 mins to be played tonight Monday.

So let me ask these questions if you don't attend the remaining minutes.

1) What if Torpedo score 3 in those 5 mins and win game , who would count the Friday game and what score would you have in your records ?

2) If they don't score but Loko do what score in records ?

3) Would you sleep easier if no further goals and still count it ?

4) What if you went on Monday for 5 mins any takers for a tick ?

I'll leave it at that , awaits comments from regular sources.

Benelux.
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 14, 2017, 9:04 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #90 of 113 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Ok, I'll bite ...

Thankfully it's not a scenario I've come up against yet, and fingers crossed I won't.

Ideally I'd be able to return for the final five minutes, although given the reason for the abandonment there's a chance it'd be behind closed doors.

After 85 minutes I'd probably count it, putting it into the same bracket as very occasional games where for reasons outside my control I've missed a few minutes - usually at the start of game, but back in the days when I was reliant on public transport I've had to leave to odd late-running game a minute or two early to get home.

If I lived in Tbilisi I'd subsequently return for a full 90 minute match.

The final score would go in my records ... if I miss the first few minutes of a match, and miss the only goal of a 1-0, I don't record the result as 0-0.

If the abandonment was in the first half, and I couldn't see the remainder, I'd not count it. From half time onwards it'd depend how much time had been played.

I wouldn't count a ground just by turning up for the unplayed part of an abandoned game, although thinking about it I'd be tempted if the original game had been stopped inside 15 minutes, especially if it was goalless at the time.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

dottirofhod

Aug 14, 2017, 9:20 AM

Post #91 of 113 (2196 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Poser for you all.

Friday just gone Loko Tbilisi v Torpedo was abandoned after 85 mins , fighting in stands. 2-0 at time.

1) What if Torpedo score 3 in those 5 mins and win game , who would count the Friday game and what score would you have in your records ?

2) If they don't score but Loko do what score in records ?

3) Would you sleep easier if no further goals and still count it ?

5) Edit. Missed the obvious , if replayed in full anyone count abandoned game ?

Ta Steve , head above the parapet.

I'll leave it at that , awaits comments from regular sources.

Benelux.
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Aug 14, 2017, 9:36 AM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 14, 2017, 2:25 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #92 of 113 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Not counted in grounds/ goals tally unless I went back for remaining minutes. Would remain a "to be done" ground if incomplete game seen. On my spreadsheet in italics but not in any running totals.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 14, 2017, 8:11 PM

Post #93 of 113 (1951 views)
Shortcut

I don't "count" or "tick" things as such, I just record where I go. So, if I had attended on the Friday but did not go back when the final 5 minutes were played, my records would show the score and time of suspension (which is the more accurate term, in my view, when the balance of a game is played later - to me an abandonment is when the game is replayed from the start). I would add a note stating when the final minutes were played and the final score.

Ideally I would like to see the last 5 minutes when they were played, but would not rearrange a whole trip to do so. I would certainly not visit any ground to watch 5 minutes play if I had not been present for the initial 85.

The only time I have been to a match which was suspended with the balance played on another day was many moons ago at Heracles old ground. The match was stopped at half time due to the referee becoming ill (no fourth officials in those days). The second half was rescheduled for two days later but I had train and hotels booked to see matches in the east of Germany.

I did watch a match at the Heracles ground when I was back in the Netherlands the following year, but would not have lost any sleep if I had not done so. If that had been the case then, if anyone had asked whether I had been to the old ground, my reply would have been "yes, but I only saw half a game".

Climate Change
Youth Team Regular

Aug 14, 2017, 8:53 PM

Post #94 of 113 (1924 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Poser for you all.

I don't understand the connection.........

dottirofhod

Aug 15, 2017, 2:45 AM

Post #95 of 113 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you CC , yes that should have been a seperate question.

Your answers were missing.

Benelux.
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

dottirofhod

Aug 15, 2017, 6:16 AM

Post #96 of 113 (1829 views)
Shortcut

No attendance , no further scoring in the 5 + 4 minutes.

Nice 7 hour return road trip for the opposition.

Benelux.
L. 0 -0.
N. 0 -0 -0.

Iberia.
P. 0 - 1.

Sp. 1 - 1.

rivington
Youth Team Regular

Aug 15, 2017, 7:45 AM

Team(s): The Alex

Post #97 of 113 (1802 views)
Shortcut

Was this a three team match with Nice taking part?Smile
Bracketed ticks all round.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2017, 9:52 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #98 of 113 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not counted in grounds/ goals tally unless I went back for remaining minutes. Would remain a "to be done" ground if incomplete game seen. On my spreadsheet in italics but not in any running totals.

You goals tallies and running totals? Not just me then.......

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

pokal02
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2017, 12:53 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #99 of 113 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would be fine for me - effectively the same as leaving 5 minutes early.

I'd record the actual (90-min) result regardless - I haven't got records of the few goals I've missed through late arrival - it would also open up a new can of worms to exclude them (what if I was in the loo/tea bar etc when a goal was scored?)

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 16, 2017, 2:09 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa

Post #100 of 113 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Rules of Groundhopping. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or looking at my feet!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3