Posh players at the Crown Ground?

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 10, 2017, 5:20 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 6 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Posh players at the Crown Ground? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking down Accrington's team list for the game vs Preston on Tuesday night, I note that 4 players seem to have double-barrelled surnames

Surely a record for Stanley - but has any other FL team ever featured so many?

Steelback
First Team Star

Aug 10, 2017, 6:30 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #2 of 6 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Posh players at the Crown Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hmmm not sure being double-barrelled means they're posh these days, it usually means their parents aren't married and they are often mixed race I find as well.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 10, 2017, 7:40 PM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 6 (2689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Posh players at the Crown Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought he was referring to Peterborough players.

jrev61

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 10, 2017, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Posh players at the Crown Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, I agree : double-barrelledness isn't so much of a guide to upper-class origins these days...but it did strike me as being worthy of note, and hoped that some statto would tell me how the Royal Engineers won the cup back then with a hatful of double-barrelled half backs.....

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 10, 2017, 7:48 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Posh players at the Crown Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...aah, the joy of the by-line writer!

zebedee
First Team Star

Aug 11, 2017, 4:22 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #6 of 6 (2560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Posh players at the Crown Ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes, I agree : double-barrelledness isn't so much of a guide to upper-class origins these days...but it did strike me as being worthy of note, and hoped that some statto would tell me how the Royal Engineers won the cup back then with a hatful of double-barrelled half backs.....

The two double barrelled players in their winning team were actually both forwards - Henry Renny-Tailyour and Cecil Wingfield-Stratford. Incidentally Renny-Tailyour later married the sister of Wingfield-Stratford, but sadly I don't think they decided to go for down the quadruple barrelled route.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3