LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2017, 1:14 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #1 of 11 (1840 views)
Shortcut
LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD Can't Post or Reply Privately

More than a few hoppers ought to be interested!

Residents of the United Kingdom have plenty of reasons to go out for a pint from the pub these days. Thankfully there are plenty of pubs — 24,727, to be exact — listed on the UK Pub Guide, and now, thanks to an international team of mathematicians, there’s a map of the shortest possible route to hit all of them and end up back at the starting point.

Yes, every single listed pub.

The map solves what’s known as a traveling salesman problem. It’s a classic computer science problem to find the shortest path that stops at each reference point. At over 28,000 miles (the circumference of the Earth is 24,860 miles), the UK Pubs tour map is the largest traveling salesman problem ever solved. There are over 100 times the number of stops any other road-distance example has, making the humanity ending pub crawl from The World’s End look like child’s play.

The end result: An interactive map with enough pins to forget about Brexit for good. Surprisingly, none of the four researchers who completed the task were from the UK. Instead, they hail from the United States, Canada, Chile and Denmark.

Densely pubbed cities aside, it can take a bit of time to get from pub to pub. The average travel time is an hour, and the longest trip is a lengthy 270 miles (but it includes two ferry rides that probably serve beer).

Don’t be fooled into thinking the researchers spent two years creating the perfect pub tour just for heavy drinkers, though.

“We, of course, did not have in mind to bring everything mathematics has to bear in order to improve the lot of a wandering pub aficionado,” William Cook, a researcher from the University of Waterloo in Canada, writes. “Rather, we use the UK pubs problem as a means for developing and testing general-purpose optimization methods.”

Whatever the motivation behind the project, there are few drinking accomplishments that can compare with the completion of the longest pub crawl in the world.

Professional cretin.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2017, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 11 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mine started around 1967 and I'm still working on it...Unsure

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2017, 3:33 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #3 of 11 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Could be oxpete's next challenge.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2017, 5:26 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 11 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Could be oxpete's next challenge.

Me and TheWavendonian are starting it in Dunstable tomorrow! Tongue

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2017, 6:40 PM

Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #5 of 11 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am covering some of the Nottm leg tomorrow. I am sure it would only take a season or two for the combined forum membership to complete the map

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 21, 2017, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #6 of 11 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am covering some of the Nottm leg tomorrow. I am sure it would only take a season or two for the combined forum membership to complete the map

As long as that? Wink

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2017, 10:42 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Keep meaning to give the Circle Line challenge a go one Saturday...

http://londontheinside.com/2016/02/14/the-circle-line-pub-crawl/

27 stations/pubs on the original route and a drink in each - what could go wrong?

I think it's got easier over the years with more City pubs opening at
a weekend compared to days of yore.

dottirofhod

Jul 21, 2017, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 11 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dont forget to set the alarm.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2017, 11:54 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There must be a collective noun for said peeps who indulge but often saw them
all T-shirted up back in the day in Hamilton Hall at opening time.

Presumably it was a twelve hour stint, ending back in said establishment
before the then closing time of 11pm - for those still standing?

garethwrexy

Jul 22, 2017, 9:01 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #10 of 11 (1546 views)
Shortcut

I love a pub crawlSmile

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2017, 6:58 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #11 of 11 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] LONGEST/MOST EFFICIENT PUB CRAWL IN THE WORLD [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't understand the concept of an "efficient" pub crawl. If after a dozen or so you still know which city/county/country you're in, the drinking clearly isn't going very efficiently.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3