BBC "Top Earners" Salaries

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2017, 8:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #51 of 64 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Last year I earnt £37,493 from my main employment, some part-time work for a friend and renting a room out, plus a small amount of interest on a savings account.

Your turn Cool

How do you afford to live?

Hope you declared the private work and room rental;;;;;;;;

My part-time work for a friend amounted to £74.50 and I declared it to HMRC (they allow you to declare anything under £2,500 by phone) and they changed my tax code this year as a result. The room rent amounted to £470 so is well below the threshold of £4,250 at which point it needed declaring.

I don't deny that I live very comfortably despite the ridiculous rents in central London (we pay £15,600 a year for a two-bed flat on a council estate - relatively cheap for this area), which is why I have said many times that I would be happy to pay more tax and why I can't understand how anyone in the proposed £85k+ bracket would be opposed to doing so.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 21, 2017, 9:24 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #52 of 64 (2028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You do realise you have to share the sauna with your accountant.....

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 21, 2017, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #53 of 64 (2022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Never heard the girls at the sauna's around here called accountants !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jul 21, 2017, 9:32 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2017, 6:51 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #54 of 64 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
It is, of course, completely coincidental that the Beeb Salary story came out at the same time as Mrs May & Co increased the age at which six million people are able to draw their pensions.

The rise has yet to be approved by Parliament.

Pension ages have been changed three times in the last 10 years by Acts of Parliament in 2007, 2011 and 2014. You might like to ask yourself why this is so.

I'm well aware of the previous changes and reasoning put forward for them. I'm also well aware of how deeply unpopular these changes are with my younger work colleagues.

If you were cynical you might think a Government would prefer to sneak out news of yet another unpopular change just before the summer recess, when MPs are demob happy, busy packing their buckets/spades/suntan lotion/Jeffrey Archer novel/wearing football shirts etc

And if they could also add in a big silly distraction…...

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 23, 2017, 11:21 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #55 of 64 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am sure you are correct in your cynicism.
There is also a good piece by Lewis Goodall of Sky, and formerly of the BBC, pointing out that the real issue is the lack of working class representation at the BBC, rather than the fact that privileged women don't get paid quite so much as privileged men.

http://news.sky.com/...ap-is-worse-10957166

KnowYourMarket

Jul 25, 2017, 7:55 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #56 of 64 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We should all remember the TV licence is 40p per day, you get a lot for that money. TV, radio, on demand programmes, web presence.

I'm sure everyone finds enough to get their 40p worth most days.

I will watch some BBC tv most days, will listen to Radio 6 on the way to work. Listen to some Radio 4 comedy on iplayer. Refer to the BBC News and Sport websites. Unfortunately the BBC has gone rather tabloid but that's another story.

We don't need transfer gossip, MOTD Facebook is dreadful in the extreme and Radio 5 is like listening to a newspaper led sensationalist public whipping up exercise.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2017, 8:37 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #57 of 64 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We need a 'like' button on this site......

...well said that man.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jul 25, 2017, 10:20 AM

Post #58 of 64 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We should all remember the TV licence is 40p per day, you get a lot for that money. TV, radio, on demand programmes, web presence.

I will watch some BBC tv most days, will listen to Radio 6 on the way to work. Listen to some Radio 4 comedy on iplayer. Refer to the BBC News and Sport websites. Unfortunately the BBC has gone rather tabloid but that's another story.

You can still have all that without paying the 40p a day - it's called commercial broadcasting. You'd have to put up with a few adverts, but you don't need the licence fee to get those things.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 25, 2017, 11:36 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #59 of 64 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...but you still indirectly pay for them via the money that say Tesco or M&s pay for their adverts- some of that has come from your pocket when you bought your groceries or your cardigans.

And yes, I get the "we pay our money so it's right we see where the BBC spends it" argument.

But let's say I buy a copy of a newspaper a day. That'll be about £300/year. Does that mean I get the right to find out what they pay their journalists, how much they pay for their stories and what their gender pay gap is?

Don't get me wrong - the amount these folk are paid is crazy, and the gender gap unforgiveable.

But it's not just the BBC who do it, the BBC are not the moral guardians of the country, and those organizations who stand to gain from the BBC's rubbishing perhaps ought to show us their structures too.

BBC isn't perfect sure...but there must be a reason why it seems to be the nation's most trusted broadcaster and it has such a good worldwide reputation

KnowYourMarket

Jul 25, 2017, 12:02 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #60 of 64 (1637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You can still have all that without paying the 40p a day - it's called commercial broadcasting. You'd have to put up with a few adverts, but you don't need the licence fee to get those things.

Yes, we already have that with ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc and in comparison it's crap. I'd rather pay 40p a day and not have to suffer adverts for all sorts of crap I'm not interested in.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

UKPunk

Jul 25, 2017, 2:00 PM

Post #61 of 64 (1605 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, we already have that with ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc and in comparison it's crap. I'd rather pay 40p a day and not have to suffer adverts for all sorts of crap I'm not interested in.

Well said. And I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who presses the 'mute' button as soon as the the adverts come on.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

acmold

Jul 25, 2017, 2:22 PM

Post #62 of 64 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or

40p a day for the BBC is a bargain.

The majority of my watching / listening is BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, Radio Four, Radio Four Extra, BBC i-player, BBC Sports App.

Just found some excellent documentaries on railways from the 70's and 80's on i-player.

The BBC i-player is one of the best things to be introduced in recent years. On most versions not only is it catch up but you can also watch a number of channels live inc s4c and Alba and in the settings you can tweak it to watch any region or programmes from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jul 25, 2017, 4:04 PM

Post #63 of 64 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
...but you still indirectly pay for them via the money that say Tesco or M&s pay for their adverts- some of that has come from your pocket when you bought your groceries or your cardigans.

I think you'd find they'd spend the same money, just on different channels / mediums. Companies tend to set their media budget and then work out how to spend it.

In Reply To
And yes, I get the "we pay our money so it's right we see where the BBC spends it" argument.

But let's say I buy a copy of a newspaper a day. That'll be about £300/year. Does that mean I get the right to find out what they pay their journalists, how much they pay for their stories and what their gender pay gap is?

That's not really the point, as you're not buying a public funded newspaper. The argument is that the licence fee is (virtually) compulsory, buying a newspaper isn't.

In Reply To
Don't get me wrong - the amount these folk are paid is crazy, and the gender gap unforgiveable.

But it's not just the BBC who do it, the BBC are not the moral guardians of the country, and those organizations who stand to gain from the BBC's rubbishing perhaps ought to show us their structures too.

BBC isn't perfect sure...but there must be a reason why it seems to be the nation's most trusted broadcaster and it has such a good worldwide reputation

I have nothing against people earning big money, it's market forces at the end of the day, I'm certainly not surprised or repulsed by the figures. My view on this is that the BBC should nurture and develop talent and then cast them off to commercial broadcasters when ready. I wouldn't, for example, pay anyone £1.7m to host a late Saturday night programme (yes I know it's repeated and on iPlayer).

I'd be tempted to allow adverts on BBC2 to fund new programmes for that channel - it's usually only repeats anyway.

I think with some will, we could halve the licence fee and still maintain broadly the same output.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2017, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #64 of 64 (1541 views)
Shortcut

The BBC do run commercials on it's overseas operations, BBC America and BBC World (not the version shown in the UK) come to mind. This is a nice little earner for the BBC which shows the same programmes seen previously in the UK. The money earned this way might not match that of commercial tv stations in the UK but it still brings in a few quid. i certainly wouldn't want commercials on the BBC in the UK.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3