First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 19, 2017, 10:13 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #1 of 64 (3099 views)
Shortcut
BBC "Top Earners" Salaries Can't Post or Reply Privately

What possible merit is there in revealing individual BBC employees' annual salaries? An individual's personal earnings are private and have a right to remain so. Surely the BBC report could have been put together to show the number of salaries in each pay bracket without "naming and shaming". It would have been simple enough to include a split of male and female staff at each level, along with, if necessary, black and ethnic minorities.

I fully understand the reasons for the BBC having to tell the general public how much they are paying and I can understand the outrage some people are expressing, but it is simply unacceptable for people's earnings to be public knowledge.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2017, 10:19 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #2 of 64 (3095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

£16k a week for Shearers drivel...........that's the price of football today Crazy

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 19, 2017, 10:31 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 64 (3075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree. It just panders to the idle gossip culture of today. And the best paid BBC presenters would probably earn far more on commercial or satellite TV anyway.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2017, 1:16 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #4 of 64 (3010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We're in Daily Mail "La La Land" territory.

They're psychotic in their obsession with regard to the Beeb. One of their fixations is with the "scandal" of those at the BBC who are earning more than the PM. This ignores the issue of the likes of Graham Norton, Andrew Neil etc being good at what they do whilst the PM…………

As for the Culture Secretary, otherwise known as "who?", she'd be overpaid if she were on ten bob a year.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 20, 2017, 7:47 AM

Post #5 of 64 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or

As it only covers pay from the BBC it means nothing, as their news bulletins said pay from independent companies that produce programmes for the BBC were not included. It's just that some want the licence fee done away with and this was another dig at the BBC. Personally I would not pay some of those mentioned tuppence but the thought of TV, Radio and online services without the BBC is a worry thought.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 8:12 AM

Post #6 of 64 (2955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As it only covers pay from the BBC it means nothing, as their news bulletins said pay from independent companies that produce programmes for the BBC were not included. It's just that some want the licence fee done away with and this was another dig at the BBC. Personally I would not pay some of those mentioned tuppence but the thought of TV, Radio and online services without the BBC is a worry thought.

Totally agree, I'd rather stick broken twigs in my ears than listen to Chris Evans, but I defend to the hilt their right to privacy.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

007Dale
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2017, 8:54 AM

Post #7 of 64 (2938 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Totally agree, I'd rather stick broken twigs in my ears than listen to Chris Evans, but I defend to the hilt their right to privacy.

Whilst I don't begrudge the 'talent' from earning their salaries, I actually believe it's appropriate for the public-funded corporation to publish the salaries.

We as payers of the licence fee have the right to understand how our money is being spent. I would also extend it to show how much is spent on buying-in programmes, for example, how much do they pay for 'Bake-off' or 'HIGNFY'.

It also has the benefit of helping equality of pay, many examples of men being paid more when they present the same programmes as women. Emily Matliss is one example (although we also need to mindful that some have other jobs with the BBC e.g. Dan Walker v Louise Minchum).

Of course, the gross salary only tells part of the story. Some of those listed work full time on the BBC, whereas Gary Lineker is part time and earns even more with BT.

(This post was edited by 007Dale on Jul 20, 2017, 8:55 AM)

kirby knitters

Jul 20, 2017, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #8 of 64 (2927 views)
Shortcut

I pay my license fee and sometimes wonder why seeing as I watch next to nowt on BBC but however much these people earn has no interest to me whatsoever.

jrev61

Jul 20, 2017, 10:45 AM

Team(s): None

Post #9 of 64 (2900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We're in Daily Mail "La La Land" territory.

They're psychotic in their obsession with regard to the Beeb. One of their fixations is with the "scandal" of those at the BBC who are earning more than the PM. This ignores the issue of the likes of Graham Norton, Andrew Neil etc being good at what they do whilst the PM…………

As for the Culture Secretary, otherwise known as "who?", she'd be overpaid if she were on ten bob a year.

Most of these people are doing a much better job than the PM, although admittedly that's not saying much. Many footballers below the Premier League earn more than 'Despicable May' so irrelevant when discussing BBC salaries.

jrev61

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 20, 2017, 11:47 AM

Post #10 of 64 (2879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

People paying the license fee need to know where their money is going
Chris Evans annual salary is equivalent to the sum accumulated by 15,300 license fees payers

Personally cant stand the twat as he is so full of self importance

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

(This post was edited by Towlawtom on Jul 20, 2017, 11:48 AM)

paulh66

Jul 20, 2017, 12:02 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #11 of 64 (2862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There needs to be accountability that the BBC has an effective charter and is living up to that charter, but license payers don't need to know the details right down to employees' salaries. So what if a top presenter is earning 15,300 times the license fee? What matters is how that compares with the market rate for top presenters and whether that presenter is delivering value for money.

Of course the Beeb could fill up its shows with £50k a year presenters just to make the maths look less sensationalist but then the license payer would soon be moaning about the quality on offer.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 12:05 PM

Post #12 of 64 (2862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
People paying the license fee need to know where their money is going
Chris Evans annual salary is equivalent to the sum accumulated by 15,300 license fees payers

Personally cant stand the twat as he is so full of self importance

Need? I might want to know how it's being spent, but I'm not remotely interested in individual salaries. These people have as much right as anyone else to their privacy. I can't stand Evans either but the off button is amazingly easy to find these days.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2017, 12:51 PM

Post #13 of 64 (2827 views)
Shortcut

In Mr Evans' case the button I'd like would have another word on it besides "off"

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2017, 1:04 PM

Post #14 of 64 (2820 views)
Shortcut

It is, of course, completely coincidental that the Beeb Salary story came out at the same time as Mrs May & Co increased the age at which six million people are able to draw their pensions.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2017, 1:14 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #15 of 64 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Funny you should mention that! That was my first thought when I saw the news - which bad news is the government going to be able to bury today?

I agree that the BBC could have given numbers in certain salary bands without 'naming and shaming', but one thing that did stand out was the disparity between female high earners and male high earners.
It goes to show that the BBC is still an archaic institution in some areas, and hopefully they will address this....

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Jul 20, 2017, 1:14 PM)

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 20, 2017, 2:39 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Peterborough Sports

Post #16 of 64 (2762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BBC were clever in deflecting the high wages they were getting onto the fact women need paying more.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 3:13 PM

Post #17 of 64 (2743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What matters is how that compares with the market rate for top presenters and whether that presenter is delivering value for money.

It's a moot point as to whether the BBC operates in 'the market' given that it is funded in an entirely different manner to other broadcast companies. As 007Dale alludes, it is effectively paid for by a legally enforceable public charge. We have every right to know how much a newsreader is paid and how the corporation spends its funds.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 3:21 PM

Post #18 of 64 (2742 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It is, of course, completely coincidental that the Beeb Salary story came out at the same time as Mrs May & Co increased the age at which six million people are able to draw their pensions.

The rise has yet to be approved by Parliament.

Pension ages have been changed three times in the last 10 years by Acts of Parliament in 2007, 2011 and 2014. You might like to ask yourself why this is so.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 3:32 PM

Post #19 of 64 (2733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
What matters is how that compares with the market rate for top presenters and whether that presenter is delivering value for money.

It's a moot point as to whether the BBC operates in 'the market' given that it is funded in an entirely different manner to other broadcast companies. As 007Dale alludes, it is effectively paid for by a legally enforceable public charge. We have every right to know how much a newsreader is paid and how the corporation spends its funds.

I fully accept that we have a right to know how much newsreaders are being paid, however I believe everyone has a right to privacy when it comes to their own private income howsoever they earn it. It could easily have stated how many newsreaders were in each bracket. If you then object to newsreaders receiving £500k or whatever, then fine, but there is no reason whatsoever that anyone needs to know the name of that newsreader.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

paulh66

Jul 20, 2017, 3:32 PM

Post #20 of 64 (2733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

But what exactly do you learn from your right to know how much a newsreader is paid? It gives you no insight as to whether he/she is worth it, no insight as to what that person could earn elsewhere, and no insight into whether your license fee is being well spent. All it gives you is gossip fodder - wow, Chris Evans earns 15000 times the license fee...a headline that grabs attention but actually means nothing at all without a meaningful point of reference.

Accountability is fine and appropriate but all this is is sensationalism.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 3:38 PM

Post #21 of 64 (2727 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
But what exactly do you learn from your right to know how much a newsreader is paid? It gives you no insight as to whether he/she is worth it...

I'd say it does. Millions just to read the news? Come on...

paulh66

Jul 20, 2017, 3:43 PM

Post #22 of 64 (2718 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
But what exactly do you learn from your right to know how much a newsreader is paid? It gives you no insight as to whether he/she is worth it...

I'd say it does. Millions just to read the news? Come on...

Likewise millions just to play football. It's all market driven and the BBC won't be the highest payer in the market.

acmold

Jul 20, 2017, 3:51 PM

Post #23 of 64 (2703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] BBC "Top Earners" Salaries [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

The rise has yet to be approved by Parliament.

Pension ages have been changed three times in the last 10 years by Acts of Parliament in 2007, 2011 and 2014. You might like to ask yourself why this is so.

Under the current rules to get the new full pension I need 3 more years contributions because of an opted out occupational pension I have, you can "buy" them. When I tried to do so the person at the other end of the phone said wait till your nearer retirement age as it bound to change again by then.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2017, 3:52 PM

Post #24 of 64 (2702 views)
Shortcut

The BBC is neither a football club nor a public company owned by its shareholders. It therefore has a different responsibility to those types of organisations – and by remarking that it isn't the highest payer, you are recognising that.

paulh66

Jul 20, 2017, 4:00 PM

Post #25 of 64 (2694 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The BBC is neither a football club nor a public company owned by its shareholders. It therefore has a different responsibility to those types of organisations – and by remarking that it isn't the highest payer, you are recognising that.

It still has to attract people to work for it and to deliver a quality product to the population. There is a prestige associated with working for the BBC and it is a not-for-profit organisation, two factors which inherently help limit its wage bill compared to its commercial rivals. But it will still have to pay something approaching the market rate to get people of the required quality to deliver the required quality.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3