Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next page Last page  View All

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2017, 12:27 AM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #1126 of 1133 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday July 15th North Staffordshire and South Cheshire Premier League Burslem 169-9 55 overs Longton 138 all out 47.3 overs No scorecard or admission charge - raffle tickets 1.

Only my second NSSCPL game and my first non weather interrupted, although I have visited several other grounds in this league for Staffordshire county games. At 1 o clock, this is the latest I have ever seen a Premier League game start (although Cornwall also start at this time) and with 102.3 overs being bowled it didn't finish till 8.16pm - way too late for me to attend games in this league on a regular basis, although the vast majority of the spectators (of whom there were a good number) stuck it out to the end. I can understand why Cornwall games start at 1pm, but Staffordshire...?
The ground is on/close to the site of Stoke on Trent's 1987 Garden Festival and is appropriately named Festival Heights - it appears to be one of the highest points in The Potteries and is right next to a huge retail park - built on the site of an old steelworks. Certainly it was a windswept ground, although surprisingly attractive with trees to be found close to several parts of the ground, along with newish housing. There is a massive car park at the entrance with the brick built clubhouse to its right and a substantial old fashioned scoreboard on the opposite side of the pitch.
Burslem struggled to reach a score of just over 3 an over which mirrored the title of the nearby multi award winning Holy (sic) Inadequate pub but it was clear that the pitch was very slow with the ball not coming on to the bat at all. They were hindered by the umpires' refusal to give wides for balls behind the batsmen's legs at any time - something I have never seen in a limited overs match. When near neighbours Longton batted they struggled even more and a couple of their players confirmed that the wicket was incredibly slow. The end result was some surprisingly turgid cricket, although the general standard of play was good.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

AV1960
Junior Team Star

Jul 17, 2017, 10:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #1127 of 1133 (904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Old Vigornians v Bredon
Saturday 15th July, 2017
Worcestershire County League Division Two
Bredon 294 for 7 (50.0) Old Vigornians 207 all out (43.0)

Back in May I visited Old Vigornians at their King's Hawford ground but they have now moved to the King's School Sports Ground site in Worcester for the remainder of their fixtures. The visit of Bredon, currently topping Division Two, was the ideal opportunity for me to re-complete the top two divisions of this league.
The ground is found at Slingpool Walk, off Bromwich Road but will be familiar to those who know Worcestershire's New Road ground as the sports ground 'across the hedge' with the white pavilion. In fact the normal cricket parking in Slingpool Walk was being used for a football tournament so parking had been arranged at the County Ground. Another partial tour of Worcester's one way system saw me arrive back at the County Ground some five minutes after initially passing it!
The sports ground is a large site with Old Vigornian's field only occupying part of the site. Sadly the outfield was looking a bit worn but the small pavilion has lots of character with benches on steep steps to the front of it and a newer extension which was used for the player's teas.
Bredon were inserted by the home side and the early overs made it appear that 150 might be a good score. Gradually things improved led by Martin Hill who finished on 151 not out and a blitz in the last ten overs pushed their score up to 294. The Worcestershire County League games are currently win or lose. Without the option of a draw Old Vigornians never looked like reaching their target, although Osman Fiaz batted impressively to carry his bat for 109 not out.
A very enjoyable day's cricket, made all the better by being watched in the company of Bredon's scorer who perhaps unwisely put up with my ramblings all day.

Witton Ender

AV1960
Junior Team Star

Jul 17, 2017, 10:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #1128 of 1133 (885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Roe Green v Walshaw
Sunday 16th July, 2017
Greater Manchester Cricket League Premier League
Walshaw 105 all out (40.4) Roe Green 109 for 6 (38.5)
A round of games being played in the GMCL on a Sunday provided an unusual bonus 'tick' today. Fortunately the BBC weather forecast was spot on and, after passing through plenty of rain on the M6, the game started at 1pm with sunshine and blue skies.
Arriving at Roe Green is really a culture shock. Within a mile of leaving the hubbub of the M62 at Junction 13, you arrive at a lovely village green scenario complete with noticeboards containing the latest missives from "The Friends of Roe Green". Near to the village green is the Greenleach Lane ground of Roe Green CC and this is certainly in keeping with the area.
You arrive in a decent size car park bordered by benches then a footpath leads around the outfield to the pavilion. On the way this passes the back of the Community Centre and a charming, rambling white house called The Gables. The pavilion is only used by the players but looks a picture in green and white with a veranda for the players use. Adjoining this is a much more modern clubhouse beyond which is a large area of grass covered in picnic benches and other tables plus a bouncy slide. Two sides of the ground are bordered by a field, occupied by some horses, and the final end is tree lined. In one corner you can also see Roe Green Pool through the trees.
Roe Green CC clearly encourage family involvement with lots of social events listed on their fixture booklet. The bouncy slide is used to encourage parents to take their other children along when one of the family is at cricket training. As the afternoon went on the picnic bench area did become very busy with families and presumably the bar takings benefited as well. The down side of this is for boring old codgers like me who want to watch their cricket without any disruption. My initial spot under some trees became a climbing frame for some children during the tea interval so I was forced to adjourn even further away for some peace and quiet.
The above scores tell the story of a match where batting was a very fraught exercise. Walshaw took the ultra cautious approach to put on 58 for the first wicket in 23 overs but thereafter slid to 105 all out with no less than six ducks. G.E.Emmett enjoyed himself to the tune of 5 for 20 including a hat trick. Roe Green's progress to their target was no less tortuous, but they finally got there in the 39th over.
One final note is to mention the amusing notices to be found in the clubroom. My favourite was the one which said "October is a funny month for the serious cricket enthusiast. It's the month when you realise your wife left you in May". Many a true word!

Witton Ender

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2017, 10:34 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1129 of 1133 (819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There are several northern English league cricket cup finals on August 6 (all 1pm):

Kerridge Cup (North Yorkshire & South Durham League)
Richmondshire v Stokesley @ TBC

Parish Cup (Halifax League)
Booth v Mytholmroyd @ Blackley CC

Sykes Cup (Huddersfield League)
Broad Oak v Hoylandswaine or Scholes @ TBC

Wood Cup (Pennine League)
Crompton v Rochdale @ Middleton CC

Worsley Cup (Lancashire League)
Church v Darwen @ Church CC

Filling the blanks:

Kerridge Cup (North Yorkshire & South Durham League)
Richmondshire v Stokesley @ Marske CC (2pm)

Sykes Cup (Huddersfield League)
Broad Oak v Scholes @ Elland CC (1pm)

Sporting (and other) images at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 874; Rugby Union 229; Rugby League 201; Cricket 80; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 24; Ice Hockey 15; Grasstrack 14; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 18, 2017, 10:35 AM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2017, 9:56 PM

Post #1130 of 1133 (658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 19th July 2017
NYSD ECB Premier League XI versus Yorkshire Vikings XI (5.30pm)
Annual T20 Challenge @ Marton Cricket Club, Middlesbrough
Yorkshire Vikings XI 217-6 off 20 overs lost by six wickets to NYSD ECB Premier League X1 220-4 off 20 overs
Admission 3 (1 concessions, 5 family ticket)
Programme (w/a) 12pp
Attendance 270 (h/c)
Food and drink available (took my own)

An exciting match went to the evening's final white ball delivery. Stokesley professional Aubrey Swanepoel, seeking two runs, crashed a four to thwart a young Yorkshire XI. In the nick of time, too. Rain was forecast to arrive any time after seven o'clock, and the first drops began to fall during the last over. Swanepoel, who hit a 28-ball half-century, finished unbeaten on 71.

Great effort from the NYSD lads, who required 50 from the final four overs then 15 off the last. Marske's Lee Hodgson contributed 50 (from 27 balls), Saeed Bin Nasir (Marske) 39 and Aamer Sajjad (Marton) 26.

Australian Peter Handscomb was the star of Yorkshire's innings. His 71 included a 21-ball half-century. Will Rhodes (52), Jonny Tattersall (31) and Tom Kohler-Cadmore (30) provided the support. T20 doesn't seem to be much fun for bowlers, but Darlington professional Mohammed Saad, replacement for the injured Alston Bobb (Richmondshire), picked up two important wickets.

Marton Cricket Club did an excellent job of staging this event at their impressive Stokesley Road ground. A PA kept spectators abreast of developments, and the obligatory loud music went off without a hitch. Full marks to whoever selected The Undertones' Teenage Kicks. Catch of the night came from a spectator. A teenager in a white T-shirt hurled himself to his right to pouch a one-hander as the ball sailed over the Town End boundary for a big six. He responded to a tremendous cheer with a gracious bow.

Marton, now back in the NYSD's Premier Division, have played on this ground since 1970. It is hidden from A172 users by the Rudds Arms pub. The site Marton occupied between 1865 and 1970 was swallowed up by a slip road off the adjacent A174 dual carriageway. This trunk road, linking the A19 with Redcar, is hidden behind trees at the Parkway End. No escaping the traffic noise, unfortunately. Marton are a wealthy club. A lucrative function room and bar are positioned on the east side of the ground, with changing rooms and a tearoom in a separate building in the south-east corner. Both structures look very smart. A digital scoreboard occupies the south-west corner. The pitch, a good size and in tip-top condition, slopes uphill slightly towards the Parkway End. Plenty of benches dotted around the boundary. New apartments - The Wickets - loom over the east side. Most have an excellent view of the action. The sort of properties that would appeal to AV1960. All but the east side of the ground is fringed by mature trees, lending a sense of enclosure and promoting a semi-rural atmosphere. Indeed, a field mouse came to say hello during the Yorkshire innings.

Marton (or Marton-in-Cleveland), an affluent suburb south of central Middlesbrough, is notable for being the birthplace of navigator and cartographer James Cook. His birth cottage has long disappeared, but a 'birthplace museum', in nearby Stewart Park, celebrates his life and achievements. Marton Cricket Club's badge features the sort of sailing ship in which Cook, as it were, explored new civilisations. The village's other claim to fame (or, more accurately, notoriety) is the 'Marton Crawl', an utterly dismal - I speak from experience - driving experience along the A172's urban stretch during Teesside's rush hours. I was told it's got a lot worse in the 20 years since I encountered it every working day.

A 5.30pm start wasn't the best for anyone wanting to catch this game after work. Indeed, my wife had to miss out because she couldn't get the afternoon off. Given how gloomy it was come the 8.10pm finish, however, a later start would have been impractical.

I've no doubt NYSD officials were thrilled the rain held off. Attempts in 2015 and 2016 to stage this annual challenge were scuppered by downpours.

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 874; Rugby Union 229; Rugby League 201; Cricket 80; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 24; Ice Hockey 15; Grasstrack 14; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 19, 2017, 10:21 PM)

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Jul 22, 2017, 6:56 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #1131 of 1133 (442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 21-07-17 6pm
NW Brown Norfolk T20 Cup Final
Swardeston 152-8 (20.0) Great Witchingham 80 all out (14.4)
Manor Park, Horsford
Attendance - 400+ ?
Admission - 1.50 / free programme (4 pages)

I've seen a few games in this competition over the past few seasons but hadn't previously managed to take in the final. I spent the first 8 overs chatting to Michael Eccles from the Swardeston side, we are former club mates (running rather than cricket) and he had mentioned that they were looking to set a target of 160. As Swardeston didn't quite hit their target it looked like a close contest was in prospect but Great Witchingham collapsed dramatically and Swardeston had an easy start to their big weekend, league action today and then a trip to
Wanstead and Snaresbrook in the last 16 of the national Royal London Club Championship on Sunday.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2017, 6:16 AM

Post #1132 of 1133 (308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two other August 6 northern England league cricket finals (both 1pm) to add:

Waddilove Cup (Airedale & Wharfedale League)
Beckwithshaw v Bilton @ Steeton CC

Higson Cup (North Lancashire & Cumbria League)
Cleator v Furness @ Haverigg CC

Ground/Venue Totals:

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2017, 10:15 PM

Post #1133 of 1133 (191 views)
Shortcut

A jaunt round a couple of the remaining league T20 finals days ahead of next week's regional round.

First up a trip to Burnham for the Home Counties Premier League finals. They had intended to play the semi finals simultaneously on the two pitches here, but the on further from the car park was still too wet to start at the appointed hour. The pragmatic decision was taken to play two T10 matches so that all four teams got some practice and we didn't have one semi settled on the pitch, and one by a bowl out.

Predictably the 10 over games were fast and furious, especially with a damp outfield. High Wycombe's 54-6 never looked like enough and Henley overhauled this with 3 overs to go. In the second semi Harefield batted first and set a much more demanding total of 82-5 in their 10 and this was too much for Horspath who only made 68-6.

A decent crowd here with all four teams represented. The pleasant club house had left free DIY tea and coffee making facilities (and biscuits!) early on although many were already getting stuck into the bar's offerings. They also did a fine looking roast dinner (as they do every Sunday 12-3 apparently).

I didn't stay for the final as I fancied seeing the conclusion of the Surrey competition, having received assurance that they weather was OK in Ashford. I arrived with Reigate 15 overs into their innings. They went on to make 175-8. Division 2 Chessington put up a creditable performance and survived the 20 overs, but fell 20 runs short, posting 154-6. The first semi had also gone to form with Premier Div Wimbledon overhauling bottom of Div 1 Walton's 109 (all out in the last over) with 4 overs to spare.

So a Premier Div third versus fourth clash in the final but whether it was fatigue setting in, or the pitch changing, but it was a low scoring affair. Wimbledon put Reigate in to bat and they only made it the middle of the eighteenth over, posting 97 runs. Wimbledon laboured their way to their target, starting very slowly and losing wickets to make things interesting. But eventually a couple of big overs got them close enough to ease nerves and they got over the line with ten balls to spare.

Again a healthy attendance including plenty from Chessington. A food stall was doing a roaring trade mainly because a few of the Ashford committee had done a curry. Five pounds got you a groaning plateful of chick pea curry, chicken curry, rice, daal, bombay potatoes and naan bread. The only downside was that I couldn't face the delicious looking produce on the cake stall.

Have to be in central London next Sunday night so might well head to Wanstead & Snaresbrook for the early parts of the Group 7 regional show down.

First page Previous page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3