Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 Next page Last page  View All

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2017, 12:27 AM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #1126 of 1165 (6119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday July 15th North Staffordshire and South Cheshire Premier League Burslem 169-9 55 overs Longton 138 all out 47.3 overs No scorecard or admission charge - raffle tickets £1.

Only my second NSSCPL game and my first non weather interrupted, although I have visited several other grounds in this league for Staffordshire county games. At 1 o clock, this is the latest I have ever seen a Premier League game start (although Cornwall also start at this time) and with 102.3 overs being bowled it didn't finish till 8.16pm - way too late for me to attend games in this league on a regular basis, although the vast majority of the spectators (of whom there were a good number) stuck it out to the end. I can understand why Cornwall games start at 1pm, but Staffordshire...?
The ground is on/close to the site of Stoke on Trent's 1987 Garden Festival and is appropriately named Festival Heights - it appears to be one of the highest points in The Potteries and is right next to a huge retail park - built on the site of an old steelworks. Certainly it was a windswept ground, although surprisingly attractive with trees to be found close to several parts of the ground, along with newish housing. There is a massive car park at the entrance with the brick built clubhouse to its right and a substantial old fashioned scoreboard on the opposite side of the pitch.
Burslem struggled to reach a score of just over 3 an over which mirrored the title of the nearby multi award winning Holy (sic) Inadequate pub but it was clear that the pitch was very slow with the ball not coming on to the bat at all. They were hindered by the umpires' refusal to give wides for balls behind the batsmen's legs at any time - something I have never seen in a limited overs match. When near neighbours Longton batted they struggled even more and a couple of their players confirmed that the wicket was incredibly slow. The end result was some surprisingly turgid cricket, although the general standard of play was good.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

AV1960
Junior Team Star

Jul 17, 2017, 10:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #1127 of 1165 (5996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Old Vigornians v Bredon
Saturday 15th July, 2017
Worcestershire County League Division Two
Bredon 294 for 7 (50.0) Old Vigornians 207 all out (43.0)

Back in May I visited Old Vigornians at their King's Hawford ground but they have now moved to the King's School Sports Ground site in Worcester for the remainder of their fixtures. The visit of Bredon, currently topping Division Two, was the ideal opportunity for me to re-complete the top two divisions of this league.
The ground is found at Slingpool Walk, off Bromwich Road but will be familiar to those who know Worcestershire's New Road ground as the sports ground 'across the hedge' with the white pavilion. In fact the normal cricket parking in Slingpool Walk was being used for a football tournament so parking had been arranged at the County Ground. Another partial tour of Worcester's one way system saw me arrive back at the County Ground some five minutes after initially passing it!
The sports ground is a large site with Old Vigornian's field only occupying part of the site. Sadly the outfield was looking a bit worn but the small pavilion has lots of character with benches on steep steps to the front of it and a newer extension which was used for the player's teas.
Bredon were inserted by the home side and the early overs made it appear that 150 might be a good score. Gradually things improved led by Martin Hill who finished on 151 not out and a blitz in the last ten overs pushed their score up to 294. The Worcestershire County League games are currently win or lose. Without the option of a draw Old Vigornians never looked like reaching their target, although Osman Fiaz batted impressively to carry his bat for 109 not out.
A very enjoyable day's cricket, made all the better by being watched in the company of Bredon's scorer who perhaps unwisely put up with my ramblings all day.

Witton Ender

AV1960
Junior Team Star

Jul 17, 2017, 10:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #1128 of 1165 (5977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Roe Green v Walshaw
Sunday 16th July, 2017
Greater Manchester Cricket League Premier League
Walshaw 105 all out (40.4) Roe Green 109 for 6 (38.5)
A round of games being played in the GMCL on a Sunday provided an unusual bonus 'tick' today. Fortunately the BBC weather forecast was spot on and, after passing through plenty of rain on the M6, the game started at 1pm with sunshine and blue skies.
Arriving at Roe Green is really a culture shock. Within a mile of leaving the hubbub of the M62 at Junction 13, you arrive at a lovely village green scenario complete with noticeboards containing the latest missives from "The Friends of Roe Green". Near to the village green is the Greenleach Lane ground of Roe Green CC and this is certainly in keeping with the area.
You arrive in a decent size car park bordered by benches then a footpath leads around the outfield to the pavilion. On the way this passes the back of the Community Centre and a charming, rambling white house called The Gables. The pavilion is only used by the players but looks a picture in green and white with a veranda for the players use. Adjoining this is a much more modern clubhouse beyond which is a large area of grass covered in picnic benches and other tables plus a bouncy slide. Two sides of the ground are bordered by a field, occupied by some horses, and the final end is tree lined. In one corner you can also see Roe Green Pool through the trees.
Roe Green CC clearly encourage family involvement with lots of social events listed on their fixture booklet. The bouncy slide is used to encourage parents to take their other children along when one of the family is at cricket training. As the afternoon went on the picnic bench area did become very busy with families and presumably the bar takings benefited as well. The down side of this is for boring old codgers like me who want to watch their cricket without any disruption. My initial spot under some trees became a climbing frame for some children during the tea interval so I was forced to adjourn even further away for some peace and quiet.
The above scores tell the story of a match where batting was a very fraught exercise. Walshaw took the ultra cautious approach to put on 58 for the first wicket in 23 overs but thereafter slid to 105 all out with no less than six ducks. G.E.Emmett enjoyed himself to the tune of 5 for 20 including a hat trick. Roe Green's progress to their target was no less tortuous, but they finally got there in the 39th over.
One final note is to mention the amusing notices to be found in the clubroom. My favourite was the one which said "October is a funny month for the serious cricket enthusiast. It's the month when you realise your wife left you in May". Many a true word!

Witton Ender

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2017, 10:34 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1129 of 1165 (5911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There are several northern English league cricket cup finals on August 6 (all 1pm):

Kerridge Cup (North Yorkshire & South Durham League)
Richmondshire v Stokesley @ TBC

Parish Cup (Halifax League)
Booth v Mytholmroyd @ Blackley CC

Sykes Cup (Huddersfield League)
Broad Oak v Hoylandswaine or Scholes @ TBC

Wood Cup (Pennine League)
Crompton v Rochdale @ Middleton CC

Worsley Cup (Lancashire League)
Church v Darwen @ Church CC

Filling the blanks:

Kerridge Cup (North Yorkshire & South Durham League)
Richmondshire v Stokesley @ Marske CC (2pm)

Sykes Cup (Huddersfield League)
Broad Oak v Scholes @ Elland CC (1pm)

Sporting (and other images) at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 881; Rugby Union 239; Rugby League 203; Cricket 88; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 18, 2017, 10:35 AM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2017, 9:56 PM

Post #1130 of 1165 (5750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 19th July 2017
NYSD ECB Premier League XI versus Yorkshire Vikings XI (5.30pm)
Annual T20 Challenge @ Marton Cricket Club, Middlesbrough
Yorkshire Vikings XI 217-6 off 20 overs lost by six wickets to NYSD ECB Premier League X1 220-4 off 20 overs
Admission £3 (£1 concessions, £5 family ticket)
Programme (w/a) 12pp
Attendance 270 (h/c)
Food and drink available (took my own)

An exciting match went to the evening's final white ball delivery. Stokesley professional Aubrey Swanepoel, seeking two runs, crashed a four to thwart a young Yorkshire XI. In the nick of time, too. Rain was forecast to arrive any time after seven o'clock, and the first drops began to fall during the last over. Swanepoel, who hit a 28-ball half-century, finished unbeaten on 71.

Great effort from the NYSD lads, who required 50 from the final four overs then 15 off the last. Marske's Lee Hodgson contributed 50 (from 27 balls), Saeed Bin Nasir (Marske) 39 and Aamer Sajjad (Marton) 26.

Australian Peter Handscomb was the star of Yorkshire's innings. His 71 included a 21-ball half-century. Will Rhodes (52), Jonny Tattersall (31) and Tom Kohler-Cadmore (30) provided the support. T20 doesn't seem to be much fun for bowlers, but Darlington professional Mohammed Saad, replacement for the injured Alston Bobb (Richmondshire), picked up two important wickets.

Marton Cricket Club did an excellent job of staging this event at their impressive Stokesley Road ground. A PA kept spectators abreast of developments, and the obligatory loud music went off without a hitch. Full marks to whoever selected The Undertones' Teenage Kicks. Catch of the night came from a spectator. A teenager in a white T-shirt hurled himself to his right to pouch a one-hander as the ball sailed over the Town End boundary for a big six. He responded to a tremendous cheer with a gracious bow.

Marton, now back in the NYSD's Premier Division, have played on this ground since 1970. It is hidden from A172 users by the Rudds Arms pub. The site Marton occupied between 1865 and 1970 was swallowed up by a slip road off the adjacent A174 dual carriageway. This trunk road, linking the A19 with Redcar, is hidden behind trees at the Parkway End. No escaping the traffic noise, unfortunately. Marton are a wealthy club. A lucrative function room and bar are positioned on the east side of the ground, with changing rooms and a tearoom in a separate building in the south-east corner. Both structures look very smart. A digital scoreboard occupies the south-west corner. The pitch, a good size and in tip-top condition, slopes uphill slightly towards the Parkway End. Plenty of benches dotted around the boundary. New apartments - The Wickets - loom over the east side. Most have an excellent view of the action. The sort of properties that would appeal to AV1960. All but the east side of the ground is fringed by mature trees, lending a sense of enclosure and promoting a semi-rural atmosphere. Indeed, a field mouse came to say hello during the Yorkshire innings.

Marton (or Marton-in-Cleveland), an affluent suburb south of central Middlesbrough, is notable for being the birthplace of navigator and cartographer James Cook. His birth cottage has long disappeared, but a 'birthplace museum', in nearby Stewart Park, celebrates his life and achievements. Marton Cricket Club's badge features the sort of sailing ship in which Cook, as it were, explored new civilisations. The village's other claim to fame (or, more accurately, notoriety) is the 'Marton Crawl', an utterly dismal - I speak from experience - driving experience along the A172's urban stretch during Teesside's rush hours. I was told it's got a lot worse in the 20 years since I encountered it every working day.

A 5.30pm start wasn't the best for anyone wanting to catch this game after work. Indeed, my wife had to miss out because she couldn't get the afternoon off. Given how gloomy it was come the 8.10pm finish, however, a later start would have been impractical.

I've no doubt NYSD officials were thrilled the rain held off. Attempts in 2015 and 2016 to stage this annual challenge were scuppered by downpours.

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 881; Rugby Union 239; Rugby League 203; Cricket 88; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 19, 2017, 10:21 PM)

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Jul 22, 2017, 6:56 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #1131 of 1165 (5534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 21-07-17 6pm
NW Brown Norfolk T20 Cup Final
Swardeston 152-8 (20.0) Great Witchingham 80 all out (14.4)
Manor Park, Horsford
Attendance - 400+ ?
Admission - £1.50 / free programme (4 pages)

I've seen a few games in this competition over the past few seasons but hadn't previously managed to take in the final. I spent the first 8 overs chatting to Michael Eccles from the Swardeston side, we are former club mates (running rather than cricket) and he had mentioned that they were looking to set a target of 160. As Swardeston didn't quite hit their target it looked like a close contest was in prospect but Great Witchingham collapsed dramatically and Swardeston had an easy start to their big weekend, league action today and then a trip to
Wanstead and Snaresbrook in the last 16 of the national Royal London Club Championship on Sunday.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2017, 6:16 AM

Post #1132 of 1165 (5400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two other August 6 northern England league cricket finals (both 1pm) to add:

Waddilove Cup (Airedale & Wharfedale League)
Beckwithshaw v Bilton @ Steeton CC

Higson Cup (North Lancashire & Cumbria League)
Cleator v Furness @ Haverigg CC

Ground/Venue Totals:

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2017, 10:15 PM

Post #1133 of 1165 (5283 views)
Shortcut

A jaunt round a couple of the remaining league T20 finals days ahead of next week's regional round.

First up a trip to Burnham for the Home Counties Premier League finals. They had intended to play the semi finals simultaneously on the two pitches here, but the on further from the car park was still too wet to start at the appointed hour. The pragmatic decision was taken to play two T10 matches so that all four teams got some practice and we didn't have one semi settled on the pitch, and one by a bowl out.

Predictably the 10 over games were fast and furious, especially with a damp outfield. High Wycombe's 54-6 never looked like enough and Henley overhauled this with 3 overs to go. In the second semi Harefield batted first and set a much more demanding total of 82-5 in their 10 and this was too much for Horspath who only made 68-6.

A decent crowd here with all four teams represented. The pleasant club house had left free DIY tea and coffee making facilities (and biscuits!) early on although many were already getting stuck into the bar's offerings. They also did a fine looking roast dinner (as they do every Sunday 12-3 apparently).

I didn't stay for the final as I fancied seeing the conclusion of the Surrey competition, having received assurance that they weather was OK in Ashford. I arrived with Reigate 15 overs into their innings. They went on to make 175-8. Division 2 Chessington put up a creditable performance and survived the 20 overs, but fell 20 runs short, posting 154-6. The first semi had also gone to form with Premier Div Wimbledon overhauling bottom of Div 1 Walton's 109 (all out in the last over) with 4 overs to spare.

So a Premier Div third versus fourth clash in the final but whether it was fatigue setting in, or the pitch changing, but it was a low scoring affair. Wimbledon put Reigate in to bat and they only made it the middle of the eighteenth over, posting 97 runs. Wimbledon laboured their way to their target, starting very slowly and losing wickets to make things interesting. But eventually a couple of big overs got them close enough to ease nerves and they got over the line with ten balls to spare.

Again a healthy attendance including plenty from Chessington. A food stall was doing a roaring trade mainly because a few of the Ashford committee had done a curry. Five pounds got you a groaning plateful of chick pea curry, chicken curry, rice, daal, bombay potatoes and naan bread. The only downside was that I couldn't face the delicious looking produce on the cake stall.

Have to be in central London next Sunday night so might well head to Wanstead & Snaresbrook for the early parts of the Group 7 regional show down.

John403
Youth Team Sub

Jul 29, 2017, 11:50 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #1134 of 1165 (4872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 29 July 2017

Lytham v Ormskirk
Liverpool & District Premier Cricket League

Admission Free
Programme £1

Weather for the north of England looked slightly better then the south today so made the trip to lovely Lytham. Spent the morning exploring the area and what a beautiful place it is. It seems crazy to think Blackpool is only 20 mins away, chalk and cheese.

Lancashire played at this venue up until the late 90s and you can see why, plenty of room around the boundary in amongst a large complex with 4 floodlight tennis courts and you could see where tennis courts had been marked out on the cricket outfield. 4 separate sets of permanent plastic seating was available behind the bowlers arm at one end of the ground and also lots of benches at the pavilion side. I thought the scoreboard was one of the most attractive I've seen, it was like a small Victorian cottage nestled in one corner. Programmes were available for £1, a guy came round selling them during the first innings.

Ormskirk are running away with this league and you could see why. They look a strong outfit in every department, declaring on 204/9 they bowled out Lytham for 101. All the bowlers took wickets and they looked extremely sharp in the field.

Really enjoyable day !

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Jul 30, 2017, 11:49 PM

Post #1135 of 1165 (4771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday July 29th West of England Premier League No admission charge or programme Lechlade 176-9 50 overs Bath 163-4 (37 overs, at which point the rain came) - revised target was 113 so Bath won.

I must admit that I have never come across a rule like this before. It explained why Bath were batting so sedately in the overs immediately before the rain eventually arrived (3 hours later than forecast). Lechlade certainly made Bath fight hard for their victory and the visitors were not quite as outstanding as when I had seen them a few weeks previously in the National Knockout Trophy. Conditions were not really conducive to batting and both teams also bowled very well. The ground is on the Faringdon Road on the far side of the town and is on the left immediately after you leave the high street. The pavilion is a small one as is the pitch and the ground is overlooked by Lechlade Manor.

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Jul 31, 2017, 12:00 AM

Post #1136 of 1165 (4763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday July 30th Buckinghamshire v Cambridgeshire Minor Counties Eastern Division Programme £2 (including a superb article about the pleasures of watching Minor Counties cricket).

The day did not turn out as myself and lordcleeoftilehill had hoped. Having studied the weather forecast I plumped for here rather than Checkley as the forecast was considerably better for Chesham. When we arrived at 10.45 it was clear that the game would not start on time. It transpired that there had been rain of biblical proportions in the night, so torrential that the Bucks secretary was woken at 2am. Unfortunately the ground (which is on Amy Lane and next to Chesham United FC) is in a bowl and in the water table of the adjacent River Chess. Consequently the square was very wet. However, the Bucks secretary was confident that after an early lunch we would be able to start after that. Then a torrential downpour at around 12 was so severe that it got under the covers. There then followed a hiatus of four and a half hours as the umpires came to and fro to study the wicket. It did not help that one of the umpires wanted to play and the other didn't. When the rain started again at 4.40 we decided we had had enough and left for home, only to discover later that Bucks had batted for 16 overs after being inserted by Cambs and reached 36-5. Needless to say they had almost a full day at Checkley!

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Jul 31, 2017, 10:42 PM

Post #1137 of 1165 (4619 views)
Shortcut

Minor Counties Eastern Division at Checkley Staffordshire 280 and 107-0v Hertfordshire 328 Programme £1. Cakes, sandwiches, tea on sale throughout the day for very reasonable prices.

Hard to believe that Checkley once staged a couple of Derbyshire's JPL 40 overs matches many years ago. Spectator facilities here are fairly basic with little room for seating. It is in the Staffordshire Moorlands and has great views of the surrounding countryside - all in all a bucolic scene with the next field to the car park being employed for overspill parking. Another frustrating day as the players were on and off all day due to squally rain and the umpires (unusually at this level from my experience) deciding to take the players off. It was also very windy and the temperature more like April than the end of July. When we arrived at 10.40 we discovered that they had started at 10.30 because of the time lost yesterday. Staffordshire are the best supported of all the Minor Counties home teams I have visited (all bar Norfolk, Northumberland and Cumberland) and always provide refreshments and other items for the spectator. They have dropped the admission charge but still produce a decent programme - if too reliant on statistics. It was something of a cricket groundhoppers' convention with getting on for 10 in attendance today and it was good to chat with the various alumni there. The game is intriguingly poised for the final day with Staffs perhaps having the upper hand.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 5, 2017, 7:16 PM

Post #1138 of 1165 (4345 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 5th August 2017
Wickersley Old Village versus Sheffield Collegiate (noon)
ECB Yorkshire South Premier League
Wickersley Old Village won the toss and elected to field
Sheffield Collegiate 144 off 39.2 overs (12pts) beat by two runs Wickersley Old Village 142 off 30.3 overs (4pts)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 63 (h/c)
Tea (from a vending machine in the clubhouse) £1

While there is cricket as exciting as this to watch, I'm happy to put off the start of my football season. A fourth-versus-second clash provided plenty of drama, including an incredibly tense finish.

Wickersley, chasing a modest 145, appeared to be coasting to victory as they reached 75-1. But the dismissal of opener Dave Rogers, whose mercurial 67 featured five sixes and eight fours, prompted an astonishing collapse to 123-9. Rogers reached his half-century before partner Mark Cummins (19) had troubled the scorers! Two Matthews, Lee (5-9) and Dixon (5-59), wreaked havoc as the hosts faded in the bright early evening sunshine. Just when it looked as though the last pair would see Wickersley scramble over the line, a careless stroke off the legs enabled the visitors to snatch an unlikely win.

Strangely, the Sheffield Collegiate innings was markedly similar. They also began in style, cracking sixes and fours aplenty, before hitting the buffers as the bowling tightened, then crawling to 72-1 at drinks. Opener Tom Rowley was out two balls after reaching 50. The visitors' fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth batters all departed for ducks. From 97-7, only a stand of 44 for the eighth wicket, shared by Eliot Callis (36) and Henry Eldred (19), enabled Collegiate to post anything like a defendable total. Pacer Umaid Asif, the Wickersley pro, took 5-57 and Cummins 2-32.

Wickersley's ground, owing to a sponsorship deal called the Burrows Oval, is adjacent to Northfield Lane, a couple of hundred yards off the busy A631. It's distinctly small. Watching from the west side, shaded by mature trees, we couldn't have been more than 45 yards from the wicket. Compact, too, with barely enough room for a single row of spectators. Plenty of benches on the east side and in front of the clubhouse, located in the north-west corner. The clubhouse, a modern, single-storey structure, is divided in two: one half the dressing rooms, the other the bar. The latter is pretty gloomy; an unappealing result of low ceiling, dark furnishings and carpets, small windows and fairly dim lighting. Traffic noise from Northfield Lane is a minor irritant. Overall, however, given central Rotherham is so close, this is a most pleasant enclosure. Passing tractors, trailers laden with piles of freshly harvested wheat, added to the semi-rural atmosphere.

An unexpected - and very welcome - spectacle was the displays of colourful wildflowers on the central reservation and verges of the A631 between the M18 and Wickersley. Fabulous.

Relieved that forecast showers of rain and hail sidestepped Rotherham. Lots of sunshine amid the cloudy spells. Might not be so lucky tomorrow, which would be a shame because many northern cricket leagues stage their cup finals. First choice is Church & Oswaldtwistle versus Darwen (Lancashire League's Worsley Cup @ Church & Oswaldtwistle), but an unpromising afternoon weather forecast for the North West indicates either Beckwithshaw versus Bilton (Airedale & Wharfedale League's Waddilove Cup @ Steeton) or Booth versus Mytholmroyd (Halifax League's Parish Cup @ Blackley) might be safer options.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 5, 2017, 7:55 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 6, 2017, 8:06 PM

Post #1139 of 1165 (4202 views)
Shortcut

Sunday August 6th 2017
Bilton versus Beckwithshaw (12.40pm, started 20 minutes early owing to an unpromising weather forecast)
Waddilove Cup Final @ Steeton Cricket Club
Beckwithshaw won the toss and elected to bat
Beckwithshaw 314-3 off 45 overs beat by 152 runs Bilton 162 off 37.5 overs
Admission £2
Programme (w/a) 4pp
Attendance 178 (h/c)
Tea (in a mug) £1, cricket teas (£4) and BBQ stuff also available

Oh, dear. The Airedale & Wharfedale League's big annual occasion, this season a potentially exciting Harrogate derby, proved to be the cricketing equivalent of a goalless draw. The result never looked in doubt from the very early stages, during which First Division leaders Beckwithshaw set about amassing an unbeatable total. Divisional rivals Bilton, sixth in the table, didn't help themselves with simply dreadful fielding. I lost count of how many catches they spilled. Several times, they fluffed straightforward stops, allowing the ball to cross the boundary. George Myers (111), Ross Sedgley (108 not out), Sam Moore (53 not out) and Alex Lilley (26) took full advantage. Richard Spittlehouse (1-19) was Bilton's least expensive bowler. In one highly significant over, Sedgley completed his century, Moore his half-century and Shaw reached 300.

Bilton then showed they are as clueless at the crease as in the field. They had slumped to 19-3 by the 11th over. With rain threatening, spectators, most bored witless, gradually melted away. Bilton didn't throw in the towel, however, and staved off the inevitable until the 38th over. Beckwithshaw removed the last two batters in the nick of time because light drizzle was turning to steady rain. The 'contest' would have finished sooner had Sajad Ali (37) and Lewis Mallinson (35) not added 54 in a stubborn seventh-wicket partnership. No 3 Siraj Hussain contributed 28. James Lilley took 3-30 and Alex Lilley 2-14. With rain falling, we didn't stay for the trophy presentation. By that time, two-thirds of the crowd had headed for home. It was Beckwithshaw's second success in the competition. They also lifted the trophy in 2009. Entering the season's climactic phase, Shaw look good to clinch a league and cup double.

Interestingly, Bilton's XI included all-rounder Kiel van Vollenhoven, grandson of legendary, South Africa-born rugby league winger Tom, a star of the Fifties and Sixties for St Helens. I gather the competition trophy was donated back in the Thirties by Stanley Waddilove, a textile tycoon with a keen interest in Bradford area sport.

Steeton Cricket Club did an impressive job of staging this showpiece. It was the second time the Waddilove Cup Final had been played at Summerhill Lane. The provision of a PA announcer was as welcome as it was unexpected. Steeton's ground, slightly above the broad floor of the Aire Valley, is back to back with that of West Riding County Amateur League football club Steeton. The pitches are separated by a hedge. Main feature of the cricket ground, with low, green hills to north and south, is a long, single-storey clubhouse in the north-east corner. Opened as recently as 2013, it's bright and cheery. The bar must be a lucrative asset. Steeton's hard-pressed catering team were way out in their estimation of the amount of food required. So much was left, a selection of savouries and sweets was brought round on plates and given away. The pitch is on the small side and slopes downhill to the east. Summerhill Lane doesn't have a huge amount of room for spectators. Benches are dotted round the boundary. Steeton's Victorian folly, complete with flag, looks down on the ground's south-east corner. Trains, rumbling along the Leeds-Skipton line, pass regularly. The railway runs behind the clubhouse. Parking this afternoon was at the football club.

Not a particularly memorable outing, but at least we beat the abysmal 'summer' weather. Oh, and we won the raffle. Our prize: two tickets to watch a Yorkshire T20 home fixture in 2018.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 6, 2017, 8:36 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2017, 10:03 PM

Post #1140 of 1165 (4034 views)
Shortcut

Owing to the impending demise of the Pennine League, an ill-starred 2016 merger of the Central Lancashire and Saddleworth & District leagues, two long-established cups are contested for the last time during the next fortnight. Each is an all-Premiership clash. Hope to be at both.

August 13
Tanner Cup (formerly a Saddleworth & District competition)
Heyside versus Norden @ Heyside CC (Royton), 1.30pm

August 20
Wood Cup (formerly a Central Lancashire competition)
Crompton versus Rochdale @ Middleton CC, 1.30pm
This is a complete re-run after the August 6 attempt was abandoned (rain) at the halfway stage

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 7, 2017, 10:07 PM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 8, 2017, 9:14 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1141 of 1165 (3964 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 6 August
Lancashire League - Worsley Cup Final (50 overs)
Church & Oswaldtwistle v Darwen 187 (49.3 overs). To be continued Saturday 12 August.
West End Ground, Church
Admission £4/£2
Attendance: 350

Weeks ago I'd booked accommodation at the fabulous Stanley House Hotel, near Salmesbury, to take in this one. As the day approached the forecast became increasingly ominous but what the heck, we decided to travel down to Lancashire.

The missus was duly deposited at the hotel & spa, where she had lunch at 'Mr Fred's' ( the place is owned by the Walker family of the late Fred and Jack) and I drove on the short distance to Church. A decent crowd had assembled (but not in the thousands of yesteryear) with a big contingent from Darwen. It was a bit like being on Death Row - we knew the end was going to come, but we weren't quite sure when. As it was, the rain forecast to fall heavily from almost the start held off until the completion of the Darwen innings. The drinking and carousing continued through the rain whilst the umpires chose not to send the players out for the Church innings.

Odds on favourites Darwen were put in to bat by Church, and it was a struggle. That they amassed 187 was largely thanks to their South African professional Calvin Savage who ground out an unbeaten 79. Darwen missed Alex Davis who was back with the Lancashire county championship side - and scoring an unbeaten 97 against Hampshire. Whilst the counties have been engaged in T20 stuff Davis has been back playing with his home town club as an amateur.

The match continues this coming Saturday.

Until the early 1960s the Worsley Cup was a 'timeless' competition. Played largely in the evenings teams would return until the match was completed. One oddity was that when the team batting first reached 130 with fewer than 8 wickets down it was obliged to suspend its innings and the other team went in to bat and complete its innings. The first team then returned to the crease if they had a total to chase. Some big scores were amassed - in 1959 Burnley scored 523 for 9 declared against Lowerhouse, with their professional Collie Smith scoring 306 not out.

And some matches lasted a long, long time - in 1938 the Accrington v Rishton match was played over 10 evenings starting on 31 May and finishing on 18 July!

West End is a fine old ground - the Church club has played there since it was formed in the 1850s. There is plenty of seating around the perimeter and on the popular side there are five distinct large buildings - the tea room serving snacks, teas etc; the tea room for the players and officials; a small covered and seated stand for spectators, and next to it some crush barriers where a few worthies chewed the rag; a large attractive bar; and the pavilion. For this match the there were also a couple of tents erected by the sponsors - Foster's - where the tinnies were being knocked back.

A great day out even if it was somewhat curtailed by the weather The missus and I did a grand 11 mile walk yesterday on bits of the Witton Weavers Way and then it was back up to Ayrshire on very quiet motorways. north of Preston.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 8, 2017, 9:43 AM

Post #1142 of 1165 (3957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Given the forecast weather, I wondered whether you'd bothered with this, Paul. We gave it a miss in favour of a cup final in slightly drier Yorkshire. What do you make of the Worsley Cup Final simply resuming where it left off? Presumably, conditions will be very different for the second attempt. The Pennine League's Wood Cup Final was affected similarly by rain, but that is to start afresh. Seems fairer (and much less anti-climactic) to me. Quite pleased, actually, because it means I'll get to watch a cup final that clashed with numerous others.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 8, 2017, 9:44 AM)

PaulC

Aug 8, 2017, 10:31 AM

Post #1143 of 1165 (3943 views)
Shortcut

It's probably to Darwen's disadvantage to continue where they left off, but it's the right thing to do, in my opinion. It means Sunday's three hours play wasn't pointless.

I thought the match might have been played out on the Monday evening, which would have been fairer ... and I might have got to see it(!), but not so. That's what happened in the 2nd XI final - Darwen scored 182 and Colne had scored 11/2 when the rains came. The following evening they were bowled out for 79.

There was a lot of discussion in the ground about what would happen. The consensus was that at least one ball would have to be bowled in the second innings for the match to continue. However, looking at the rules I don't see any mention of a match being replayed - just resumed later. The outcome is also better than the match being determined on run rate if 20 overs of the second innings are bowled before abandonment.

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Aug 8, 2017, 12:05 PM

Post #1144 of 1165 (3923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National Village Cup Semi Final Astwood Bank v Sessay No admission charge nor programme but raffle ticket £1 (they sold over 300). The biggest gate I have seen at one of these matches.
Sessay 221-8 40 overs Astwood Bank 141 all out 31.5 overs. Hot Dog (excellent) £2
Final Sessay v Reed

I very rarely do revisits for any grounds other than for test and Sussex matches but I really fancied this one, especially as I didn't fancy the long drive up to York for their game with Ormskirk. When I was involved with Coventry and North Warwickshire 20 years ago (when they were in their pomp) I would often hear scathing or sarcastic comments about "village cricket". If those individuals had seen this game I think they may have had a different attitude. Certainly Astwood Bank were a good side and bowled well but Sessay were on a different level altogether and they featured an opening bowler who would not have looked out of place in a Minor Counties or second eleven team. Their wicket keeper pulled off a quite brilliant stumping, and the run out that finished the match (which you can see on Sessay's website) was quite magnificent. This standard was maintained throughout and their batting was similarly impressive.
The ground was packed, although it and the club coped very well with the extra demands placed on it, with a barbecue in progress and the bar in the newly extended clubhouse doing a roaring trade. Several of the younger members of the club were roped in to assist with things like stopping people from moving behind the bowler's arm.Unlike at Chesham the square here was on a crest with a slight but noticeable slope running down from it. All in all a cracking day's cricket - good luck to Sessay in the final.

PaulC

Aug 12, 2017, 4:08 PM

Post #1145 of 1165 (3653 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sunday 6 August
Lancashire League - Worsley Cup Final (50 overs)
Church & Oswaldtwistle v Darwen 187 (49.3 overs). To be continued Saturday 12 August.
West End Ground, Church
Admission £4/£2
Attendance: 350

......Church 67. The Worsley Cup goes to Birch Hall.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 12, 2017, 7:56 PM

Post #1146 of 1165 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Sounds as much of a non-event as this title decider…

Saturday 12th August 2017
Wakefield Thornes versus Sheffield Collegiate (noon)
ECB Yorkshire South Premier League
Wakefield Thornes won the toss and elected to bat
Wakefield Thornes 236-7 off 50 overs (12pts) beat by 94 runs Sheffield Collegiate 142 off 41.3 overs (0pts)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 63 (h/c)
Tea (in a mug) 80p, chocolate choux bun 80p

First versus second, but tediously one-sided. Victory means Wakefield Thornes, winners in Abu Dhabi of the 2016 play-off between the champions of Yorkshire's four ECB Premier leagues, are nailed on to retain the South title.

The hosts didn't have it all their own way when batting. Sheffield Collegiate, clearly very 'up' for this crunch fixture, bowled and fielded impressively. Thornes started slowly, and were only 74-3 at drinks. But Matt Jordan (88) and Joe Cook (34), who added 97 for the fourth wicket, finally got them moving. Four wickets then went down in as many overs before an excellent unbroken partnership, worth 68, for the eighth wicket between Tom Froggett (40 not out) and Faisal Irfan (32 not out) steadied the ship. A flurry of sixes saw Thornes post a total that had looked unlikely earlier in the innings. Henry Eldred (2-35) was the pick of the Collegiate attack.

The visitors, whom we had watched win by two runs the previous weekend at Wickersley Old Village, were soon in trouble, slumping to 22-4. A big, speedy knock was needed, but it never came. Awaiting the inevitable was a little dull. Thornes' incessant 'chirping' was wearisome in the extreme. This verbal diarrhoea, masquerading as encouragement, simply isn't necessary. Simon Guy (35) and Matthew Lee (35) paired up to spare Collegiate's blushes. Mahmood Rasool (4-35), Steve Morgan (3-32) and Akila Isanka (3-48) shared the bulk of the wickets.

Thornes' Field Lane ground, located on the south-west edge of Wakefield, inside a bend of the Calder, is pleasant if unremarkable. Its main feature is a modern clubhouse, with bar and dressing rooms, at the south end. A photo montage on the walls celebrates the club's Abu Dhabi triumph over Bradford League champions Pudsey St Lawrence; another team, incidentally, that never shuts up in the field. Perhaps the clubs were despatched overseas for the final so spectators didn't have to put up with their pointless din. Behind the clubhouse is a car park, a levee (a defence against the Calder flooding) and a line of mature poplars. The poplars are reminiscent of Bradford League grounds Crossbank Methodists and Hanging Heaton. The remainder of Field Lane, square in shape, is very compact. The pitch has a noticeable crown. Benches are provided at various points, but it's a tight squeeze to set up chairs between the boundary rope and the perimeter, a mixture of netting (protecting semis at the north end) and a hedge. Behind the hedge, along the west side, is a bowling green, complete with the cutest wooden pavilion. A Victorian structure, it would appear. The scorebox, partially obscured by overhanging trees, is in the north-west corner. Field Lane is sandwiched between busy railway lines serving Wakefield's Westgate and Kirkgate stations, so the sight and/or sound of passing trains is a notable feature.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 12, 2017, 10:16 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2017, 9:06 PM

Post #1147 of 1165 (3478 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 13th August 2017
Heyside versus Norden (1pm)
Tanner Cup Final @ Heyside Cricket Club
Norden won the toss and elected to field
Heyside 220-9 off 50 overs beat by 70 runs Norden 150 off 41.1 overs
Admission £3
Programme (w/a) 8pp
Attendance 250 (est)
Tea (in a mug) 50p, BBQ stuff and cricket teas also available

Comfortable win for Heyside in what is likely to be the last Tanner Cup Final. Traditionally, the venue is decided by a coin toss, and Little Hey Street, a compact venue at Royton, hosted a decent size crowd. Many would like to see continue the long-established Tanner Cup, formerly (I believe) a Saddleworth & District League competition, but with the Pennine League to fold after just two seasons, and its teams dispersed to other competitions, the chances seem remote.

Play began on time, despite the saturated pitch bearing the scars of the previous day's downpours. Man of the match Declan Wilkinson (63) and captain Ryan Barnes (46) gave Heyside, put in, a solid start, adding 99 for the first wicket. Professional Bilal Khiljee (49) and Max Power (33 not out) kept the momentum going before a collapse prevented the hosts getting up to the 250 they had threatened. Heyside fans felt their team's return was at least 20 runs too few. Dominic Humphreys took 4-44 and Hashum Malik 3-50.

Unfortunately, at least for neutrals like us, the game was up early in the Norden reply. The visitors stumbled to 52-5 as Wilkinson (3-22), Bilal (2-21) and Scott Bloor (2-28) got among the wickets. A sixth-wicket partnership, worth 50, between Greg Butterworth (38) and Simon North (21), merely delayed the inevitable. Wilkinson was unable to receive his man of the match award during the after-game ceremonials because he had dislocated a shoulder in attempting to stop a boundary. Despite a medic being present, the injury required a hospital trip.

Little Hey Street is a pleasant ground fringed to north and east by low hills. The pitch is flat albeit small. Most of the facilities are at the west end: a modern, two-storey clubhouse (with a well patronised ground floor bar: some punters preferred the latest Premier League footy yawn fest) and a much older single-storey structure housing the dressing rooms and a tea bar. As is customary in Lancashire, both made from red bricks. The scorebox, manually operated, is in the north-east corner. A tiny car park, behind the clubhouse, was hopelessly oversubscribed. Many spectators parked on Bullcote Green, a road of semis adjacent to the ground's south side. Gazebos peddled BBQ fodder and booze. Sadly, we had an unsavoury encounter with a badly behaved Norden supporter who somehow managed to be pissed by two o'clock. I doubt he'll recall anything of the afternoon. Wanker.

Next season, we were told, Heyside will play in the Greater Manchester League. Had to laugh at the club official who reacted with astonishment to the revelation we'd come from York to watch the match. "What, this morning?" he exclaimed. The smallness of some people's worlds, even in 2017, continues to amaze me. It's a 75-minute drive, for goodness's sake!

Our plan for next weekend is Hopton Mills versus Brighouse (a Bradford League, Championship Two relegation battle) on Saturday followed the next day by the Pennine League's Wood Cup Final, in which Crompton face Rochdale at Middleton Cricket Club. Owing to the Pennine League's demise, it will be the last Wood Cup showpiece.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 13, 2017, 9:22 PM)

cherryhopper
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2017, 11:50 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1148 of 1165 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 13th August 2017
Nat West T20 Blast South Group@ Brightside Ground, Bristol
Gloucestershire 121/8 (20 overs) lost to Essex 122/7 (16.2 overs)
Attendance 6,000 (complete guess)
Ticket £25 on gate, £20 if you bought in advance
No programme but scorecard was available for 50p
Chicken Noodles with black bean sauce £7

Essex kept their qualification hopes alive with this win in the ridiculously tight South Group where any four of the nine teams could qualify entering the last week. After the visitors won the toss and elected to field first the hosts posted 121 runs in their 20 overs which never looked likely to be enough. After losing their first wicket in the second over Essex raced to 56 runs, which included a few sixes, in the first five overs and it looked like the game would be over in double quick time. Gloucestershire kept the game interesting taking two wickets in successive overs and two more quick wickets when Essex were on 74 and 75 runs. Bowling Essex out looked their best hope of a win and after taking another two quick wickets in the 14th over it looked on but Essex steadied themselves with a few boundaries and got over the line in the 17th over.

Wasn't especially overwhelmed by the Brightside Ground. There are two sides of open black seats, one of which is overlooked by new flats, the other has the imposing Brunel College building behind it. There is a raised stand next to the glass fronted pavilion which has the only covered seated area underneath and what looked like a new balcony being built on the roof, possibly opening in time for the England v West Indies ODI on 24th September. I understand temporary seats are installed which double the ground's capacity for internationals, these presumably go on the only side to have no permanent seating which lies to the left of the pavilion. I would imagine they would also need this extra seating should Bristol gain one of these new city based T20 franchises due to start in 2019, probably between them, Southampton and Cardiff for the final two spots behind Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and two London teams assuming Durham are out of the running due to their financial situation.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Aug 13, 2017, 11:53 PM)

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 14, 2017, 1:47 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #1149 of 1165 (3321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 13 August (Day 3 of 3)
West Indians 427/3 and 327/6d, Derbyshire 181 and 51-0
Match Drawn
Venue: Derby
Admission: £12 (me) + £5 (student) + £1 booking fee each

As I will be at day/night one of this week's Test match I thought I had better get in some practice with the pink ball. It was my first visit to Derby since the pitch was rotated through 90 degrees (new tick?). The venue is now quite pleasant, in contrast to the freezing days of yore at what used to be a bleak outpost. Being able to sit high up behind the bowler's arm in what seemed to be a temporary stand was a bonus too.

The tourists started the day on 60/1 and it was always go to be a day of batting practice. Jermaine Blackwood started entertainingly before being brilliantly caught at short extra by Ben Slater. The pink ball certainly helped follow that bit of action. Kieran Powell then proceeded to a century at very nearly a run a ball before being suddenly stricken by injury. After milliseconds of assessment by the physio he was deemed unfit to continue and returned to the pavilion. Funny that. An afternoon clatter of wickets was followed by an eternity waiting for Kemar Roach to come out to bat. When he eventually arrived he was initially the non striker as the wicket had fallen to the last ball of an over. His partner kept the strike for the next over whereupon a 12th man arrived carrying a thigh pad for Roach. At the end of the next over he was back again, this time delivering a box! Not very professional. Roston Chase batted impressively for 60 not out before a tea time declaration. There had been some entertaining batting but they were prone to get out to unnecessary big shots. I fear for them in the Test series.

The declaration gave Shannon Gabriel a chance to exorcise his run up demons from the previous day when he had delivered 20 no balls apparently. In four hostile but inaccurate overs he managed four more no balls, two aborted run ups and was biffed for 24 runs. He may be unselectable for the Test, which would be a big blow for them. Derby saw out an hour without losing a wicket before a draw was agreed.

I found the pink ball really good from a spectator's point of view, much more visible than the red. With play called off at 8pm it was difficult judge what it was like under lights as they were only just taking effect.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2017, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #1150 of 1165 (3181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Where are you going - where did you go? CRICKET!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 14th August 2017

MCCA (E), Flitwick CC, Beds 226 and 175/5 (Callis 73*) v Suffolk 265 (82) (Brett 8/87). Scorecard £1 Att 85 + 4 canines.

I hadn't intended on travelling very far yesterday but had set my heart on seeing one of the last round of MCCA games, and the weather forecast was dire for anything nearer. This also gave me the opportunity of seeing Monty Panesar bowl.

Sadly, this latter was actually quite a depressing experience. As I drove into the ground he was hit for 6, and to be frank, on a raging Bunsen of a pitch he bowled like a drain. At the other end, Tom Brett, a schoolteacher with 2 first class appearance for Northants behind him (and not recently either), bowled some absolutely lovely SLA. His variation of pace was clear to see from behind the bowlers arm. He couldn't do it on his own though and some late hitting gave Suffolk a valuable first innings lead. Monty cut a forlorn figure during the early part of Bedfordshire's 2nd innings, normally I find it easy to talk to players even if they are heroes but I really couldn't think what to say to him..

Anyway, Beds were a bit more positive in their second innings and by the time I left looked to be on the way to setting a total which Brett and Panesar (hopefully) could defend on the final day.

Quite a basic ground in a reasonably nice location, blighted a bit by a very noisy road nearby. Nice teas in the Pavilion.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

First page Previous page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3