Salford City

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2016, 4:32 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #1 of 9 (2642 views)
Shortcut
Salford City Can't Post or Reply Privately

The BBC are reporting that Salford City have been granted planning permission for a 5,000 capacity redeveloped stadium at Moor Lane.

As is often the case, there are local residents who object and they are considering asking for a judicial review

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2016, 4:40 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #2 of 9 (2630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Salford City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a piece on the local BBC North West news last night. Those they interviewed did seem to be the local NIMBYs including one man whose objection seemed to stem from the fact that he would lose his view across the ground from his bedroom (and presumably his free view of the matches).

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

miswell
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2016, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #3 of 9 (2531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Salford City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Other clubs at that level would love the coverage the BBC dedicate to Salford. Would Alfreton Town get a story on the home page of BBC football if they announced ground improvements? I get why the Beeb give them coverage but the lowest level for any other story on BBC Football Home is the Championship! (Zola at Brum).

(This post was edited by miswell on Dec 15, 2016, 10:20 PM)

cherryhopper
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2016, 8:59 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #4 of 9 (2483 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Those they interviewed did seem to be the local NIMBYs including one man whose objection seemed to stem from the fact that he would lose his view across the ground from his bedroom (and presumably his free view of the matches).

Perhaps Gary Neville could give him a free ticket to all home games if he clears up the rubbish instead of having to do it himself!Blush

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2017, 2:21 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #5 of 9 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Salford City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We played a PSF there on Saturday. The new setup is completely unrecognisable from last season, with 2 terrace ends and a seated stand opposite where the Main Stand used to be,. The Main Stand is completely levelled and there's a new turnstile entrance on Neville Road, further down from before. The Main Stand replacement they hope to complete by the end of October.
The only parts of the ground which remain from last season are a portakabin where the club shop and hospitality used to be (currently the builder's hut) and I think the Moor Lane turnstile gate. Certainly the pitch overlaps too, if it's not the same position, but this is pretty much a 'Wembley rebuild job' on the same site. New ground or not?
Even if people don't see it as a new ground, it's so unrecognisable that I'd suggest a revisit would be worthwhile. It's pretty good too, but folks might wish to wait until November for the full setup. Capacity will be 5300 then, I was told.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (759) Y Traeth CPD Porthmadog 3-5 Holyhead Hotspur (29/8/17)
With FC United: 129
On the agenda:
Sep 2: FC United v Leamington
Sep 8: Heidenheim v Jahn Regensburg

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2017, 4:02 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Salford City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We played a PSF there on Saturday. The new setup is completely unrecognisable from last season, with 2 terrace ends and a seated stand opposite where the Main Stand used to be,. The Main Stand is completely levelled and there's a new turnstile entrance on Neville Road, further down from before. The Main Stand replacement they hope to complete by the end of October.
The only parts of the ground which remain from last season are a portakabin where the club shop and hospitality used to be (currently the builder's hut) and I think the Moor Lane turnstile gate. Certainly the pitch overlaps too, if it's not the same position, but this is pretty much a 'Wembley rebuild job' on the same site. New ground or not?
Even if people don't see it as a new ground, it's so unrecognisable that I'd suggest a revisit would be worthwhile. It's pretty good too, but folks might wish to wait until November for the full setup. Capacity will be 5300 then, I was told.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a new ground*, but will definitely be on the radar for a visit at some point for a few photos. I'm guessing that as they've been building it bit by bit, the pitch will have to have remained on the same footprint, give or take an odd yard or two.

* Please see Rule 1 below for clarification

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2017, 4:11 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #7 of 9 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Maybe someone at the playoffs last season can confirm but I understood the 3 stands which are now built all went up over the summer, along with the demolition of the 4th side. They still had some finishing to do, particularly in the exec boxes.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (759) Y Traeth CPD Porthmadog 3-5 Holyhead Hotspur (29/8/17)
With FC United: 129
On the agenda:
Sep 2: FC United v Leamington
Sep 8: Heidenheim v Jahn Regensburg

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2017, 4:14 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Salford City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maybe someone at the playoffs last season can confirm but I understood the 3 stands which are now built all went up over the summer, along with the demolition of the 4th side. They still had some finishing to do, particularly in the exec boxes.

I think the side opposite the old main stand and one end were done before the end of the season.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

Jul 17, 2017, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #9 of 9 (1523 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think the side opposite the old main stand and one end were done before the end of the season.

That's right. I went there for the game when Altrincham got relegated at the start of April (thanks for reminding me - typical Northwich!) and the new cover behind the goal was completely open and the new stand along the side was largely open, although there was some ongoing work in the corner. They were all built around the existing pitch, too.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3