Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
is your first non-league ground and/or club still around?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 9, 2017, 7:04 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #51 of 61 (3427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Remember being taken half way across Brum by my uncle on Sunday mornings to watch Saltley United play in some Parks League.

This would be early 60s.

I remember them being quite successful at this level and even some local notoriety (as mentioned in the late lamented Sports Argus) when the B team beat the A team in a Cup Final.

I can't have been more than 5 or 6 at the time, so have no further info if they still exist or if they still inhabit parks footy. Anyone else out there know owt about Saltley Utd?

alan hindle
Youth Team Sub

Feb 10, 2017, 10:20 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #52 of 61 (3325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As I only completed my "92" in March 1982, I then started my Non-League ground visits and these were my first three :-
1) 18/04/82 Boston United v Northwich Victoria (Gola League) York Street, Club and Ground still here, just about
2) 16/10/82 Altrincham v Scarborough (Gola League) Moss Lane, Club and Ground still here
3) 23/11/82 Telford United v Wigan Athletic (F A Cup) Bulls Head, Club re-started as "AFC" but ground still here
Boston United are moving to a new ground believed to be next season, which is why I said "just about" above.
The Bulls Head at Telford, Wellington, Shropshire, has been updated as has the club.

Strange that regarding the visitors in the first two games, Northwich are close to going out of business sadly, and Scarborough have had to re-start as have Telford.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 10, 2017, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #53 of 61 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alan hindle] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As I only completed my "92" in March 1982, I then started my Non-League ground visits and these were my first three :-
1) 18/04/82 Boston United v Northwich Victoria (Gola League) York Street, Club and Ground still here, just about
2) 16/10/82 Altrincham v Scarborough (Gola League) Moss Lane, Club and Ground still here
3) 23/11/82 Telford United v Wigan Athletic (F A Cup) Bulls Head, Club re-started as "AFC" but ground still here
Boston United are moving to a new ground believed to be next season, which is why I said "just about" above.
The Bulls Head at Telford, Wellington, Shropshire, has been updated as has the club.

Strange that regarding the visitors in the first two games, Northwich are close to going out of business sadly, and Scarborough have had to re-start as have Telford.

My first ground was Boston Utd's York Street back in 1979 & they lost 0-3 at home to Altrincham(who were in there prime)

revandyw
Ballboy/girl

Feb 11, 2017, 2:16 PM

Team(s): WBA / Havant & Waterlooville

Post #54 of 61 (3226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

3 of my first 4 non-league grounds gave gone

1. Town Mead, Crawley Town (1981)
2. White Horse, Oxford City (1982)
3. Jubilee Field, Three Bridges (1988) - still in use, I think
4. Queen Street, Horsham (1990)

Most of my football in the 80s was Brighton or Crawley home games so it took a while to get going!

(and this is my first post on the forum - took me a while to get going!)

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Feb 17, 2017, 11:38 AM

Post #55 of 61 (3009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [revandyw] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As I started watching football in 1958 when I was eight I don’t have accurate records of when I first visited grounds (who keeps diary when they are at primary school?) but I do remember my first three grounds:
1st – Highbury - Gone
2nd – White Hart Lane -Going
3rd – The real White Hart Lane (i.e. then the home of Wood Green Town now of Haringey Borough)
The last one is still there although totally changed from my first visit. Hard to think of anything that was there then that still exists (even the grass pitch has been replaced by plastic) although parts of the wall around the site could have been there in my youth.
I didn’t really start to visit non-league games much until the seventies but among what must have been me early grounds many are now long gone. The last time I checked, more than 100 grounds I have visited are now no more.
I wonder if this is more common in the London & South East area where land prices have encouraged clubs to sell valuable town centre sites and move out of town.
Locally we have lost some of the great non-league arenas, those of Walthamstow Avenue, Leytonstone, Ilford, Barking, Grays, Chelmsford, Romford, Enfield spring to mind never mind the humbler but lovely lesser grounds such as Leyton, East Ham, Collier Row, Woodford Town & Rainham Town.
Given the often bland nature of new grounds I do sometimes wonder if groundhopping will survive as a hobby. Is the thought of “ticking” your 20th new ground of the season all of which have the same 6-foot-high wooden fence and the same tin stand plonked on the halfway line really that appealing?

acmold

Feb 17, 2017, 1:03 PM

Post #56 of 61 (2994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I now keep a list of what I would deem interesting grounds, last week it was Heytesbury in the Trowbridge League. Lovely tree lined ground a ramshackled bit of cover on the halfway line. Heytesbury was a lovely village. Each season I do 15 or 20 grounds I need down to step 6 but the rest are games and grounds that are interesting. And no paper chasing either these days.

Eat 10 a day, you know it makes sense.

Chris1963

Feb 18, 2017, 12:24 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #57 of 61 (2919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alan hindle] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It's actually the Bucks Head Ground, not the Bulls Head. Since its rebuilding (or the construction of a completely new stadium, as some people consider it to be) it is now called the New Bucks Head.

alan hindle
Youth Team Sub

Feb 21, 2017, 3:38 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #58 of 61 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry about that Chris, thanks for correcting me, mind you I think dementia may be beginning to creep into the brain cells as I have just passed my 75th birthday on Sunday, but thank you once again for pointing out my big error.

cherryhopper
First Team Star

Feb 21, 2017, 11:41 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #59 of 61 (2719 views)
Shortcut

Remember being taken by an uncle to watch Waterlooville play when I was about 7 years old, Jubilee Park was lost following the merger with Havant Town.

Also remember when I was young being taken to watch New Milton play a few times at the recreation ground in the town centre which is still there but no longer used for football since the club moved to Fawcetts Field.

sandhurstbee

Feb 22, 2017, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #60 of 61 (2678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not First 10 but in the 1970`s & 1980`s I used to love watching Brentford play Non League teams in Friendlies and Middlesex Cups.
All the following grounds have now gone
1) Edgware 2) Enfield 3) Hayes 4) Hendon 5) Hillingdon Borough 6) Hounslow 7) Kingstonian 8) Leytonstone 9) Walthamstow Avenue 10) Wealdstone
Some great grounds sadly no longer with us.

Add Barnet/Tooting & Mitcham/Wimbledon to this list. More locally Grounds visited for Addlestone, Badshot Lea, British Aerospace (Weybridge), Didcot Town, Oxford City, Slough Town, Thame United, Thatcham Town, Wokingham Town, Wycombe Wanderers all gone plus league grounds at Oxford United and Reading. Sandhurst Town used to play at The Memorial Ground this has reverted back to Youth pitches since Sandhurst moved to Bottom Meadow.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

swanstuff
Youth Team Sub

Jul 17, 2017, 12:49 AM

Team(s): Staines Town

Post #61 of 61 (534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] is your first non-league ground and/or club still around? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chris 1963 wrote ...

Uxbridge at Honeycroft - club still going at same ground

This may be incorrect. Uxbridge's present Honeycroft ground is at West Drayton, on the trading estate. Their previous one, in the 1970s (and early 80s I think) was also called Honeycroft, but was on Brunel University land at Cowley.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3