Oxford United in Portugal

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 13, 2017, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 53 (4660 views)
Shortcut
Oxford United in Portugal Can't Post or

Last night Oxford drew 0-0 with Middlesbrough in Portugal, they had around 500 fans at the game - long way to go for a 0-0. The previous two years they have gone to Spain. At each game the Chairman comes and meets the fans and updates them on everything that is happening at the club. Last night Tweets say he said a new player is flying out today, they signed a bloke from Wolves yesterday but I think this may be another signing.

At the end of each game the players are encouraged to mingle with the fans and the club throws at least one Barbecue for the fans and players while they are abroad.

There are also pictures of the new Oxford boss and Middlesbrough boss having a chat and a get together, they of course were together at Swansea and Leeds.

A friend of mine who is a regular tells me that once a month at the local working men's club OUFC have a overs 60's fans get together. They lay on Coffee and Biscuits and send along a couple of speakers from the club.

I think on a Monday morning they have an official from the club on the local Radio Station taking questions and answers and having a general chat about things.

They are my local club but I've not seen them play a league game for over four years, but it does strike me that their attitude to fans is much better then many other clubs. I know they have had bad times and this will not last forever, but it is nice that this sort of thing can happen at League level and you do wonder if more clubs should try and come across as more open and friendly.

Chris1963

Jul 13, 2017, 3:46 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 53 (4606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not happy about Oxford United spending all that money on foreign tours when they've just increased admssion prices by 2 in all parts of the ground for next season, even though they didn't get promoted. It's all very well that they are having get-togethers with the fans, but they can also do that by playing PSF's at seaside resorts in the UK.

garethwrexy

Jul 13, 2017, 8:25 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #3 of 53 (4522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not bad 500 going to pre season friendly

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

knmeynell
Youth Team Star

Jul 13, 2017, 11:48 PM

Post #4 of 53 (4480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm not happy about Oxford United spending all that money on foreign tours when they've just increased admssion prices by 2 in all parts of the ground for next season, even though they didn't get promoted. It's all very well that they are having get-togethers with the fans, but they can also do that by playing PSF's at seaside resorts in the UK.

The cost of going to and staying in Portugal might be just as cheap as going somewhere in the UK.

acmold

Jul 14, 2017, 10:57 AM

Post #5 of 53 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knmeynell] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or

I think they were invited and as well as playing Middlesbrough they are playing Hull. Someone else has said he is going to see Chesterfield v Middlesbrough in Portugal / Spain I presume it's all organised and they are enticed or sponsored to go. Presuming all the clubs take some fans and from photos many are families or older supporters it's quite a boost to the local economy. One neutral Tweet says Oxford could have 600 fans for the next game, so certainly a few will be spent.

Chris1963

Jul 14, 2017, 3:57 PM

Post #6 of 53 (4373 views)
Shortcut

I'm pretty sure I recall reading somewhere (perhaps on the OUFC site) that one of these games they played in Spain or Portugal a couple of years ago was actually 3 x 30 mins. I wonder what the reaction of the Oxford fans who travelled there was - did they demand their admission money back?

Richard Rundle

Jul 14, 2017, 6:25 PM

Post #7 of 53 (4342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm pretty sure I recall reading somewhere (perhaps on the OUFC site) that one of these games they played in Spain or Portugal a couple of years ago was actually 3 x 30 mins. I wonder what the reaction of the Oxford fans who travelled there was - did they demand their admission money back?

It's a pre-season friendly. I don't almost anyone will be bothered about the difference between 3x30 or 2x45 in what is, in effect, a glorified training session.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 14, 2017, 7:02 PM

Post #8 of 53 (4332 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm not happy.

Are you ever?

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

acmold

Jul 14, 2017, 8:23 PM

Post #9 of 53 (4310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

It's a holiday where they happen to see Oxford kick a ball about, think they can watch training and tonight they have a Q&A session with the Chairman and management team. Probably all in casual dress with a drink.

Chris1963

Jul 14, 2017, 10:07 PM

Post #10 of 53 (4283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm not happy.

Are you ever?

I'm probably happier than you are, particularly if (as I suspect) you are a certain poster who has changed his user name recently.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 15, 2017, 7:49 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #11 of 53 (4208 views)
Shortcut

I am not certain changing names is a cause of unhappiness. Anyway, Chris - I seem to recall you changing names on more than one occasion.
I suspect that most of those who go on the pre season trip are not there primarily for the football games.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 15, 2017, 9:17 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #12 of 53 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Do you know anyone that has been on this tour with Oxford United? I bet they had a great time and would do it again, I would have had no hesitation in going if I was a fan of the club. It's not exactly the trip they missed out on all those years ago due to circumstances beyond the control of them but certainly a different summer away than usual.

acmold

Jul 15, 2017, 9:52 AM

Post #13 of 53 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Do you know anyone that has been on this tour with Oxford United? I bet they had a great time and would do it again, I would have had no hesitation in going if I was a fan of the club. It's not exactly the trip they missed out on all those years ago due to circumstances beyond the control of them but certainly a different summer away than usual.

Yes I know quite a few who have gone, think some of my cousins have they did last year. All the Tweets and pictures on social media seem to show players, staff and fans all having a good time, relaxing, bonding and enjoying themselves. In recent years they have been to Spain, Scotland and the USA and the fans have gone with them. It's a training camp for the players and a summer holiday jolly for fans it's ideal.

The games are streamed back so fans here can see them, forget what site. They do all sorts of things like this, last season they played someone from overseas at one of those grounds in Newport and streamed it back.

They try to come across as friendly, for years now (with the odd exception) chairman are always called by their first names and tend to be laid back much preferring to meet the fans than hide away in the boardroom. Certainly not Blazer and Tie men. In fact I would say everyone at the club is referred to by first or nicknames. Also despite having had many rough years many of the staff including those on the playing /development side have been there years. The secretary has been employed by them for 30 plus years and the likes of Peter Rhodes-Brown (only his mum calls him Peter, Rosie to everyone else) and Les Taylor are part of the furniture. The third in command of the 1st team is ex player Chrissy Allen who comes from nearby Blackbird Leys, and when they change managers (in recent years) there never seems to be wholesale changes of coaching staff. Even the kids teams are coached by long standing ex and local players.

I've been to a couple of ladies games at Abingdon United and they have the Mascot's facing penalties from little kids, it's almost like a village fete. Youth games are open to everyone to watch no jobsworths or barred entry. If a youth game is postponed they tend to play it the following midweek with a 1pm kick-off, last season one which was arranged for Abingdon United was changed to the 3G at Oxford City due to water logging and they Tweeted and used to soical media to tell everyone of the change even though it only happened a hour or so before kick-off.

They actually try to be helpful and friendly. I've been up to collect cup tickets for season ticket holders who are at work, they phone up and say can my mate pick them up and as long as you've got their season ticket they do it. It does help that I went to school with one of the ladies in the office and I think another is some relation by marriage.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 15, 2017, 11:40 AM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #14 of 53 (4156 views)
Shortcut

I visited Oxford United a couple of times as an away supporter in their Conference days. The first one in 2006-07, under Jim Smith, they were one of the most unpleasant, arrogant and unhelpful clubs I have ever had the misfortune to visit with Altrincham fans being attacked for the club daring to get a late equaliser.

A couple of years later, under Chris Wilder, everything had changed. Oxford won this match, but the welcome was very friendly and warm. I thought to myself this could be down to the manager's influence with a decent man replacing a nasty bully who imposed his own character on the club, before deciding that was a silly idea, then, lo and behold, Altrincham's chairman said pretty much the same thing in his programme notes for the next home match.

Odd that we thought the manager made such an impact while you think the opposite! Did you feel any change at the club around 10 years ago?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 15, 2017, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #15 of 53 (4111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I visited Oxford United a couple of times as an away supporter in their Conference days. The first one in 2006-07, under Jim Smith, they were one of the most unpleasant, arrogant and unhelpful clubs I have ever had the misfortune to visit with Altrincham fans being attacked for the club daring to get a late equaliser.

A couple of years later, under Chris Wilder, everything had changed. Oxford won this match, but the welcome was very friendly and warm. I thought to myself this could be down to the manager's influence with a decent man replacing a nasty bully who imposed his own character on the club, before deciding that was a silly idea, then, lo and behold, Altrincham's chairman said pretty much the same thing in his programme notes for the next home match.

Odd that we thought the manager made such an impact while you think the opposite! Did you feel any change at the club around 10 years ago?

I was at the Altrincham match that day, too, and it's terrible to hear of the way you and other Alty fans were badly treated. In Jim Smith's defence, though, I think the bad practices and the bullying attitude that you experienced on your visit to the Kassam in the 06-07 season had their roots ingrained much further back than that.

When Jim Smith took over as manager, and Nick Berry as chairman, in March 2006 it was seen as the start of a new (and hopefully better era), despite the relegation to the Conference that happened two months later. But nobody is ever going to turn things around as fast as most fans will demand. That relegation (and the unpleasant, arrogant and unhelpfulness you mention) were the result of the years of Firoz Kassam as chairman (this man is still playing hard-ball over the ownership of the stadium to this day), and a string of managers who were opinionated, unhelpful, unsupported, under-resourced or just plain poor at their job: David Kemp was way out of his depth, Brian Talbot and Ian Atkins both left under angry clouds, Ramon Diaz's term was pure chaos (he was actually refused entry into the ground at one point, eventually watching the match among the fans in the East Stand), and Graham Rix was simply Graham Rix. The nasty antics of striker Julian Alsop towards his teammates deserve a thread all of their own. The huge volume of debt run up during this era (which Firoz paid off at under 10p in the pound), Firoz Kassam's questionable business dealings (though his mum will no doubt tell you he saved the club for 1), the leaving of The Manor Ground (for which Firoz pocketed most of 6million), the relegations of 1999, 2001 and then 2006, and maybe even the residue of nasty memories left by Robert Maxwell all went towards making OUFC at that time almost certainly a very unhappy and depressing club to play for, work for, to watch or to support, and by March 2006, OUFC really were an embarrassing basket-case of a football club.

You are right in what you say about Chris Wilder and his fantastic influence upon OUFC from when he became manager in December 2008, despite sometimes not getting the credit he was due - he really dug Oxford out of a hole - I still feel the bloke is a proper legend, and am personally overjoyed for him for his subsequent achievements at Northampton Town and Sheffield United. But things grew stronger in the boardroom at the same time, too. Moving on from there, Michael Appleton deserves much credit for improving the way OUFC are viewed by the press, by other clubs and their own fans by encouraging attractive football and good practices both on and off the pitch(and in the past I've been one of Appleton's biggest critics!!)

The truth is that, eleven years down the line, OUFC are now one of the happiest clubs to play for, work for, to watch or to support (500 happy fans out in Portugal to watch glorified training sessions proving the point). Jim Smith's return in March 2006 was based on a lot of fond memories of past glories (both his and the fans'), but looking back now you can see that he was probably the wrong choice at the wrong time, and wouldn't have known what the hell he was letting himself in for. My own Pompey loyalties (I am NOT an Oxford United fan!) mean that I'm loathe to criticise the bloke, because he's a hero at Fratton Park, too - in 1992, he bought tickets for me and twenty-four other Pompey fans at AC Ascoli out of his own pocket, and other people I know who have met him always say what a decent friendly bloke he has always been. But like I say, in 2006 he was the wrong choice at a very difficult time.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Kassam when visiting with Altrincham that season, and I'm glad that things had improved markedly by your return a couple of years later. However, the name I think to blame should maybe be that of Firoz Kassam, the one dark cloud that still remains on Oxford United's horizon.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Jul 15, 2017, 4:57 PM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 15, 2017, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #16 of 53 (4087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for your very detailed reply. I had thought the managerial change was the most obvious one between the two visits, but I am sure, as you say, there were underlying causes. Unfortunately quite a few people refused to revisit the Kassam Stadium and I am sure they don't really believe my tales of how much things had improved, although a subsequent visit to Oxford City did help to restore faith in the city of Oxford.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 15, 2017, 6:01 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #17 of 53 (4076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers, Sale Holmfield.

It's good to read your worthy comments on Chris Wilder. If only the Oxford United fans had also spotted him for the genius he is when they had the chance!

And good luck to Alty next season! Smile

(This post was edited by oxpete on Jul 15, 2017, 6:02 PM)

garethwrexy

Jul 15, 2017, 6:28 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #18 of 53 (4057 views)
Shortcut

Oxford united nice ground

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

acmold

Jul 15, 2017, 10:27 PM

Post #19 of 53 (3996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or

Won 2-1 again tonight not that it means anything, picture on Twitter shows a team photo of the players in front of the fans. Only downer was Radio Oxford's coverage, by all accounts it was up to it's usually poor standard but kept breaking down!. The downside was they then kept waffling on about Silverstone which like a number of other BBC areas claim it this weekend. To be fair many houses in Silverstone do point their aerials towards Oxford but it's definitely in Northamptonshire. I was not listening but someone who phoned me was.

kirby knitters

Jul 15, 2017, 10:46 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #20 of 53 (3991 views)
Shortcut

A proper game i take it with 45 mins each way?Sly

acmold

Jul 16, 2017, 6:58 AM

Post #21 of 53 (3945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
A proper game i take it with 45 mins each way?Sly

Appears so as the 2nd goal was after 55 minutes in the 2nd half. Both goals by Leo's favourite Wes Thomas.

Chris1963

Jul 16, 2017, 11:39 PM

Post #22 of 53 (3820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am not certain changing names is a cause of unhappiness. Anyway, Chris - I seem to recall you changing names on more than one occasion.
I suspect that most of those who go on the pre season trip are not there primarily for the football games.

Leo, what you should be asking yourself is; why do you allow Temp Works Co/Climate Change (I am pretty certain these two are the same person) to continue posting on here when all he does is to troll other posters (mainly those with disabilities) and use the General Chat section as a platform for his extreme right-wing and pro-foxhunting views. He does not provide any useful football-related information and does not even seem to attend games himself. He is a bully with a total lack of compassion or humanity and the general air of negativity that he projects is destroying this forum.

I don't see why I should bother posting on here any more if this fascist bully is going to troll me over something as reasonable as questioning Oxford United's decision to increase admission charges by 2 while going on an unnecessary trip to Portugal. So I regret that I am no longer going to post on here any longer. Goodbye.

dottirofhod

Jul 17, 2017, 12:35 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #23 of 53 (3788 views)
Shortcut

I am unhappy as I've just seen a 0-0 , not at the 0-0 but the crap game and a revisit to boot.

Then I find this post from you, its made me smile, I am amazed at the rubbish you sprout on here. You complain about a poster bullying people with disabilities, I dont know anyone apart from you with a disability, most keep their own problems to themselves.
Apart from you who brings it up at every opportunity.

So you've stopped posting AGAIN , how long will it last this time.
You can always start posting again with one of the many aliases you have signed up with.

Goodbye Chris.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 145/ 120 / 25(You know my rules) @ 18 /12 /2018.(Only 11 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019 updates. TBC) .
Need - 110 ( 15.4%).

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jul 17, 2017, 2:29 AM)

jrev61

Jul 17, 2017, 10:55 AM

Team(s): None

Post #24 of 53 (3690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will Ghost of Senlac be making a comeback?Smile

jrev61

buncranaboy

Jul 17, 2017, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #25 of 53 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Oxford United in Portugal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Give it a month before the Master of Disguises is back. Maybe he'll revert to being a Blues fan from Warley as he once bizarrely decided to masquerade as. I believe that short-lived incarnation was soccerfan Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3