Home: Administration: NLM Main Site:
NLM Main Site – future coverage

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 5, 2017, 1:42 PM

Post #1 of 13 (8802 views)
Shortcut
NLM Main Site – future coverage Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Some postings were made early in the new season's errors and corrections thread about possible changes to the coverage within the main site. These are worthy of a thread of their own, so I've copied the relevant comments here, and any further discussion can follow.

Here’s what’s been said so far:

In Reply To
(from Sarumio)
I’d maybe also suggest the site stops covering the many lower divisions of the South Devon League that are just filled with reserve teams that very few have any interest in, and maybe scrap coverage of the odd league like the East Berks League and focus more on divisions that are actually much higher up like the Aylesbury and Wycombe Leagues whose top divisions feed into the SSML Div Two, making them effectively Step 8 divisions

In Reply To
(from dottirofhod)
As I occasionally helped John inputting results it got to the stage that I told him I would help but not the South Devon or York lower divs , their a pain , who's interested in XX Res v YYY 5ths ?
It would help if people who are supposed to be looking after leagues did so !Fixtures always there results not so.

In Reply To
(from Hitchin-John)
Regarding the South Devon fixtures and results. There were so many changes to fixtures on the FA Full Time Site that it became almost impossible to determine the latest fixtures.

For the last few months of last season, it was easier to create NO fixtures but I made a point of copying results from Full Time to NLM on completion of the games. This ensured that both sites agreed but NLM lost it's prime objective of displaying fixtures in advance (min 2 weeks ) for our viewers.

Quite happy to see additional leagues, but happier still to see more Editors to maintain them.

In Reply To
(from steve walker)
I think what happened with the South Devon and York was that back in the day someone would come along and say "please please add all divisions for this League and I will maintain it cross my heart" and then buggered off.
We could remove the South Devon altogether since it is such a pain and maybe also remove all but the top two divisions of the York.
As for adding leagues, yes it's really down to more Editors or there are 7 Admins plus myself who have access to all divisions. I can try and input a bit more than I do as I think Hitchin John probably does way more than he should need to so sure, we can add more leagues if we get more editors and more admin input. So I will leave it up to them to decide, it's voluntary after all, not a job.

In Reply To
(from Sarumio)
In an ideal world for the new season I would advocate

Removing
South Devon League Div Two, Three, Four and Five
East Berkshire League Div One and Two
York League Div Two, Three and Four
Aldershot & District League
All but the top Two divisions of the Bedfordshire County League

Adding
Lincolnshire League (Step 7)
Aylesbury & District League Premier Division (Step 8)
Wycombe & District League Senior Division (Step 8)
Durham Alliance Combination League (Step 8)

Other divisions at notional Step 8 level that it could be argued are “less important” or of lower standard that are not currently covered on the site are the following

Swindon & District League and Trowbridge & District League (whose top divisions are both direct feeders to the Step 7 Wiltshire League)

Boston & District League, East Lincolnshire Combination, Scunthorpe & District League (whose top divisions are all direct feeders to the newly upgraded Step 7 Lincolnshire League)

But maybe they could be catered for if the site stopped covering some of the third tiers of current Step 7 divisions (like the WRCAL Div Two and the Notts Senior Legaue Div Two)

Maybe it’s best to cover all Step 7 and (notional) Step 8 divisions first and then see what else can be sensibly covered after that?

I could help out with updating some of the new ones if needed!

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 5, 2017, 2:59 PM

Post #2 of 13 (8787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drawoh] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
(from Sarumio)
In an ideal world for the new season I would advocate

Removing
South Devon League Div Two, Three, Four and Five
East Berkshire League Div One and Two
York League Div Two, Three and Four
Aldershot & District League
All but the top Two divisions of the Bedfordshire County League

As part of the exercise of migrating to the new season, we are initially migrating only down to what is called Step 8 (or Level 12). That has the effect of removing almost all of the above, together with the lower divisions of some other leagues. We can extend this, and remove completely some of the leagues whose highest division is at Step 8 / Level 12. This would take out the Aldershot & District League too.

These divisions aren't actually removed (and so can easily be reinstated if desired). They can be found, still under the "Steps 7+" tab, but almost at the bottom, under "ZX 2017 Holding League". However, they only cover seasons up to and including 2016–17.

I know that many people will want to see coverage of some of these divisions, so I am proposing that we make lower divisions of a league available only in response to a firm offer to edit the league for the coming season. Because personal circumstances can change from season to season, even if you were the nominated editor for a league last season, can you please re-apply for the 2017–18 season. Do so in this thread, if you wish.

In Reply To
(also from Sarumio)
Adding
Lincolnshire League (Step 7)
Aylesbury & District League Premier Division (Step 8)
Wycombe & District League Senior Division (Step 8)
Durham Alliance Combination League (Step 8)

Lincolnshire, definitely - it has been awarded Step 7 status. This will be added once the league's website has been updated with the constitution for the new season.

Regarding the others, there is no such thing as Step 8. On the main site here, for convenience we call Level 12 Step 8. And when I last looked closely at a listing of the Level 12 divisions (a couple of seasons ago) it seemed that all of those divisions were covered (as Step 8) here on the main site. However, I've since looked into the pyramid structure elsewhere, and learned that there is no official definition of Level 12 either. A number of attempts have been made to produce a full structure, and some of these have been published on various websites. Some have not been changed since they were first published, and therefore become out of date quickly, others, notably the structure on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/...otball_league_system, are updated frequently. I see that the Aylesbury, Wycombe and Durham leagues mentioned above are all included at Level 12 of the current edition of the Wiki list, but then so are many other that we are not covering here on NLM. So where do we stop?

The rationale behind being included at Level 12 (certainly on the Wiki list) is:
a division is included if it is either
(a) one level subordinate to a Level 11 division in the same league
(b) the top division of a league which is a recognised feeder league to a Level 11 division

(a) is simple, whereas (b) can be very subjective, as feeders are not always identified as such. And that's one reason why no listing of the football league structure below Level 11 can be regarded as definitive.

If we were to include coverage of all divisions in Wiki's Level 12 list, we could well end up with cancelling out any time-saving benefit achieved by removing some of the lower divisions. So how can we proceed?

Here's a possible suggestion.

How about something similar to what I have suggested earlier, and that is that we add coverage of a league whose top division is identified in Wiki's Level 12 ONLY in response to a firm commitment from someone to edit that league?

Further comments by anyone to Sumurio's postings, or to my response, would be very welcome!

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 6, 2017, 9:02 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 13 (8708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drawoh] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

I have been maintaining West lancashire League Division Two and wish to continue to do so. I'd already migrated it to 2017-18 but I see it is currently a"ZX 2017 Holding League".

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 6, 2017, 11:19 AM

Post #4 of 13 (8685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have been maintaining West lancashire League Division Two and wish to continue to do so. I'd already migrated it to 2017-18 but I see it is currently a"ZX 2017 Holding League".

Excellent! Re-instated. As will any other for which we get a definite editing offer.

dottirofhod

Jul 6, 2017, 11:39 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 13 (8677 views)
Shortcut

Leagues I upkeep.
ADD Cheshire D 2
&
Manchester D 2.

Hod.
About time we had update of which leagues have moderators for 17/18.

I have impeccable credentials , sorry to be so curt but I have had my wrist slapped.
From July 1, 2017. 245/201/44. (You know my rules) @ 27/05/2018.
OK,Mick no bragging. I need a holiday.
Fussball zweite vereines existieren nicht

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 6, 2017, 12:00 PM

Post #6 of 13 (8668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Leagues I upkeep.
ADD Cheshire D 2
&
Manchester D 2.

Hod.

Cheshire D2 re-instated and migrated to new season

Regarding Manchester, it doesn't appear as if we were covering Division 2 last season. Do you want it added?

In Reply To
About time we had update of which leagues have moderators for 17/18.

Hopefully, we'll be able to assemble a list as a result of this exercise.

dottirofhod

Jul 6, 2017, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 13 (8665 views)
Shortcut

D2 wasn't covered last season as it was a Reserve division, the Manchester league has added enough clubs to start a mostly first team D3 for 17/18.
Ta.

I have impeccable credentials , sorry to be so curt but I have had my wrist slapped.
From July 1, 2017. 245/201/44. (You know my rules) @ 27/05/2018.
OK,Mick no bragging. I need a holiday.
Fussball zweite vereines existieren nicht

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 6, 2017, 12:06 PM

Post #8 of 13 (8660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
D2 wasn't covered last season as it was a Reserve division, the Manchester league has added enough clubs to start a mostly first team D3 for 17/18.
Ta.

Will probably get it added later today.

Later: Now done.

(This post was edited by drawoh on Jul 6, 2017, 3:50 PM)

Mark_a_Wood
Youth Team Star

Jul 26, 2017, 5:35 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, N. Staffs clubs (except Kidsgove!)

Post #9 of 13 (8015 views)
Shortcut

I edited all four divisions of the Staffordshire County Senior League last season and would be willing to edit all three divisions of the league for the forthcoming season (and have already added league fixtures for the Premier Division and Division One + cup draws).

I would like to continue to act as the editor for the new single, merged Division Two as well if the new format for the division could be added to the site by members of the admin team.

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 26, 2017, 6:04 PM

Post #10 of 13 (8008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark_a_Wood] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I edited all four divisions of the Staffordshire County Senior League last season and would be willing to edit all three divisions of the league for the forthcoming season (and have already added league fixtures for the Premier Division and Division One + cup draws).

I would like to continue to act as the editor for the new single, merged Division Two as well if the new format for the division could be added to the site by members of the admin team.

Many thanks. I'll get the merged Division Two available within the next day or two.

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 27, 2017, 7:16 AM

Post #11 of 13 (7959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark_a_Wood] NLM Main Site – future coverage [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Staffs Division Two is now set up and ready for use.

I've not yet amended the linking to and from this division, but will do this shortly.

Many thanks, once again, for editing this league!

Mark_a_Wood
Youth Team Star

Jul 27, 2017, 6:09 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, N. Staffs clubs (except Kidsgove!)

Post #12 of 13 (7903 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for doing that drawoh, Div.2 fixtures for August now added.

Could you edit the names of two teams in Division One of the Staffs County Senior League for me? Ossma Blurton should be Ossma Blurton TTFC and Shenstone Pathfinder Reserves should be Shenstone Pathfinder.

drawoh
First Team Sub

Jul 28, 2017, 7:41 AM

Post #13 of 13 (7852 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Could you edit the names of two teams in Division One of the Staffs County Senior League for me? Ossma Blurton should be Ossma Blurton TTFC and Shenstone Pathfinder Reserves should be Shenstone Pathfinder.

Both now done. The Shenstone change was not quite as straightforward as Ossma, which is why it took a little longer. Hope all's ok now.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3