Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Nick Hone (A.F.C. St. Austell President)

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 3, 2017, 12:16 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Nick Hone (A.F.C. St. Austell President) Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nick Hone, the President of A.F.C. St. Austell, passed away after a sudden illness on the evening of Thursday 29th June 2017.

Nick was an avid supporter of the Lillywhites, so much so that although living in the Midlands, he was President of the club and took the opportunity to watch them whenever he could.

A fan since 1963, he watched until university and teaching took him away from Cornwall. Retirement brought frequent visits back to his home county to watch his beloved team. He was so proud when they won the South West Peninsula League title in 2015.

The Cornish football world is a poorer place following Nick's passing. I'm not sure if he was a member of this forum but users on Cornwall Football Forum will know him as MidlandLilywhite.

Last 0-0 draw: Friday 04/11/2016 Bodmin Town v Plymouth Parkway

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Jul 3, 2017, 9:35 PM)

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Jul 3, 2017, 7:40 AM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #2 of 4 (2791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Nick Hone (A.F.C. St. Austell President) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nick was also a Wolves season ticket holder and i used to see him at Solihull Moors and before that Moor Green. I last spoke to him at the Wolves v Ipswich game last season. Really nice chap and will be missed by many in the Midlands and Cornwall.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Jul 3, 2017, 9:36 PM)

craigh
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 3, 2017, 8:12 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hotchkiss] Nick Hone (A.F.C. St. Austell President) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great chap who was a regular at the Moorlands and the club shop, always calm and happy talk about the football. R.I.P. Nick

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Jul 3, 2017, 9:36 PM)

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 7, 2017, 1:37 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [craigh] Nick Hone (A.F.C. St. Austell President) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Posted on Cornwall Football Forum:

Hello, this is Matt Hone. I'm Nick's second son.
I'd like to thank you all on behalf of our family for your kind comments.
To say this is a massive shock would be an understatement. We were not expecting this. Only a couple of weeks ago Dad had been emailing St Austell with his contributions for the coming programme for the new season. He spent the weekend with his grandson, and on the day itself he had been going about his usual Monday routine. He had gone to the gym, done some shopping and finished by gardening with my mum. Dad did not suffer and passed away peacefully.
Dad took his role as president of St Austell very seriously. It gave him much pride and purpose. Football was always his main hobby, and Cornwall his spiritual home. His interest in St Austell never left him, but his increasing role at the club over recent years allowed him to make new friends and reestablish old friendships from his childhood.
The St Austell Voice have just written an article with contributions from the St Austell chairman James Hutchins and Chris Osborne (Sticker), a very close friend of Dad's who has known him since his school days.
We have been overwhelmed by the response we've had from everyone who knew Dad - friends, fellow football fans, colleagues and former students alike.
Dad's funeral will be held at Woodlands Crematorium, Birmingham Road, Coleshill B46 1DP on Monday 24th July at 2 pm. All are welcome to attend. It will be family flowers only, but if you would like to leave a donation it will be to the British Heart Foundation.
If you would like any more details I can be reached by private message on here.

Last 0-0 draw: Friday 04/11/2016 Bodmin Town v Plymouth Parkway

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3