'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 30, 2017, 5:09 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 17 (2975 views)
Shortcut
'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis Can't Post or Reply Privately

Planning some trips to Scots grounds this coming season, and hope to link some of them with my interest in "interesting" foods.

Hence this request for local info.

Firstly " 'tallies". I'm told that there is a selection of "Tallies" i.e. high-class ice-cream parlours, run by Italians who were here as POWs in WW2, but decided to stay on and build businesses based on their culinary skills. Do such things really exist and if so are in reasonable proximity of footy grounds? I'm told there's one in Coatbridge, but didn't see it on my trip to watch the Wee Rovers.

Secondly haggis. Was gutted to have missed out on haggis and chips at half time when I went to Berwick last season. Is the haggis a regular feature at Scots'' grounds tea bars...if so any recommendations for the best? Mind you a good stand pie is a pretty good substitute.

I'll close with the traditional Shaw Taylor.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 30, 2017, 6:02 PM

Post #2 of 17 (2955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The presence of Italians in Scotland in significant numbers goes back to the end of the 19thC and AFAIK their link to the ice-cream business is also much earlier than WW2.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 30, 2017, 7:23 PM

Post #3 of 17 (2913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that Mr. T. Any idea how Italians came to be settling in Scotland back then?

I'm told that there are similar parlours in Tiger Bay/S Wales valleys arising from merchant seamen settling down

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 30, 2017, 9:33 PM

Post #4 of 17 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Any idea how Italians came to be settling in Scotland back then?

I'm told that there are similar parlours in Tiger Bay/S Wales valleys arising from merchant seamen settling down

Poverty in Italy, particularly rural. Many set off for the USA, some got only as far as the UK and stayed, though not always by choice some were robbed by racketeers and abandoned here.

The biggest concentrations were in Scotland and South Wales. They also played a big part in the fish and chip business.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 30, 2017, 10:00 PM

Team(s): None

Post #5 of 17 (2874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Any idea how Italians came to be settling in Scotland back then?

Poverty in Italy, particularly rural. Many set off for the USA, some got only as far as the UK and stayed, though not always by choice some were robbed by racketeers and abandoned here.

The biggest concentrations were in Scotland and South Wales. They also played a big part in the fish and chip business.

Wasn't Lou Macari descended from Italian immigrants who run an ice-cream business. I assume Charlene Spiteri also has Italian roots and Paolo Nutini too.

jrev61

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 30, 2017, 10:35 PM

Post #6 of 17 (2853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plenty of well-known Scots of Italian descent in the arts, sport and business:
Ronni Ancona
Nicola Benedetti
Peter Capaldi
Tom Conti
Nina Conti
Charles and Rocco Forte
Armando Iannucci
Lou Macari
Peter Marinello
Dominic Matteo
Daniela Nardini
Ricky Sbragia
Sharleen Spiteri
Ken Stott
Lena Zavaroni

acmold

Jul 1, 2017, 6:24 AM

Post #7 of 17 (2804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or

There was a Blue Peter presenter 20 odd years ago who was Scottish with an Italian name who's family ran an Ice Cream parlour. I remember going to Largs and many of the businesses had Italian names.

Around here there is a very large number of Welsh names, it goes back to the 20's & 30's when large numbers came to work in the car factory, build houses (my house was built my a Welsh firm in 1934) and work on the buses. Davies, Williams, Owen and Evans. I've known a Maurice Morris a David Davies a John Jones and a William Williams. Many came from the Pontypridd area including the actor Patrick Mowers family. Welsh was regularly still spoken around here until 40 years ago.

PaulC

Jul 1, 2017, 9:36 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 17 (2766 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Plenty of well-known Scots of Italian descent in the arts, sport and business:
Ronni Ancona
Nicola Benedetti
Peter Capaldi
Tom Conti
Nina Conti
Charles and Rocco Forte
Armando Iannucci
Lou Macari
Peter Marinello
Dominic Matteo
Daniela Nardini
Ricky Sbragia
Sharleen Spiteri
Ken Stott
Lena Zavaroni

Dario Franchitti
Paulo di Resta
Joe Beltrami
Jack Vettriano
Jonny Moscardini - born in Falkirk, played for Italy

A large proportion of Italian Scots can trace their roots back to the town of Barga.

It wasn't all one way though:

https://www.thelocal.it/...by-highland-warriors

prorege

Jul 1, 2017, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #9 of 17 (2757 views)
Shortcut

Most Scottish towns have an Italian family, now at third or fourth generation, and many have interests in the ice cream or fish and chip trade.

The Giannandrea's in Stirling, Serafini's in Falkirk, Franchitti's in Bathgate, Luca's in Musselburgh, Crolla's in Edinburgh, Macari's in Lochgelly . . . The list would endless.

As for haggis at football grounds - very unusual. Hill of Beath Hawthorn usually do it on a roll.

Most chippies do it in a deep fried, battered version. Spoils the haggis, I Think. The way to eat haggis is with chappit tatties and neeps. Mix together, create a well on top, pour in a double single malt whisky, mix and eat.

As for referring to Italians as "tallies". Beware, that is every bit as offensive as using terms such as Paki, or Polak. Possibly acceptable in the Fifties but not now.

(This post was edited by prorege on Jul 1, 2017, 11:36 AM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 1, 2017, 10:31 AM

Post #10 of 17 (2728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for this info - will put it to use.

Didn't realise "Tallies" was a term of abuse like that - thanks for putting me right. As I've read the word in foody sources, I thought it was OK.

Thanks too re haggis. If it's that rare a beast at the half-time hut, I'll have to return to Berwick. But presumably you mean 'neeps' not 'needs'. But is a 'neep' what I'd called a white skinned purple top ovoid root veg or the larger yellower root I'd call a swede?

prorege

Jul 1, 2017, 11:39 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #11 of 17 (2709 views)
Shortcut

Neeps are the yellow turnips. Peel and Dice them, mash with butter, and serve with haggis.

PaulC

Jul 1, 2017, 3:07 PM

Post #12 of 17 (2680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Neeps are the yellow turnips.

In England they're known as 'swedes'.

Richard Rundle

Jul 1, 2017, 4:12 PM

Post #13 of 17 (2666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not down here - Swedes are the small white ones, the larger orangey ones are turnips.

acmold

Jul 1, 2017, 7:04 PM

Post #14 of 17 (2627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or

Here swedes tend to be yellow a bit bigger than a cricket ball. Turnips are larger and white. Both would be diced, boiled and mashed with butter / margarine maybe with smudging of seasoning and splash of milk.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2017, 7:44 PM

Post #15 of 17 (2602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AS A FORMER MANAGER OF ONE OF THE BIGGEST WHOLESALE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE MARKETS IN THE COUNTRY - WE SOLD LARGE PURPLE TURNIPS AS WELL AS WHITE ONES THE SIZE OF CRICKET BALLS.

AROUND ME I REMEMBER THE BERNI FAMILY WHO STARTED BERNI INNS, IN FACT MY LOCAL ITALIAN COFFEE HOUSE, DELI DIVINO, HAS PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE BERNI FAMILY ON ITS WALLS. I ALSO LIVED NEXT TO AN ITALIAN RESTAURANT OWNER, AND OPPOSITE ANOTHER.

PaulC

Jul 1, 2017, 7:49 PM

Post #16 of 17 (2600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] 'Tallies -as in ice cream - and haggis [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not down here - Swedes are the small white ones, the larger orangey ones are turnips.

How to differentiate between swedes and turnips:

http://seedtofeedme.blogspot.co.uk/...ween-turnip-and.html

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Jul 1, 2017, 11:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 17 (2538 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Planning some trips to Scots grounds this coming season, and hope to link some of them with my interest in "interesting" foods.

Hence this request for local info.

Firstly " 'tallies". I'm told that there is a selection of "Tallies" i.e. high-class ice-cream parlours, run by Italians who were here as POWs in WW2, but decided to stay on and build businesses based on their culinary skills. Do such things really exist and if so are in reasonable proximity of footy grounds? I'm told there's one in Coatbridge, but didn't see it on my trip to watch the Wee Rovers.

Secondly haggis. Was gutted to have missed out on haggis and chips at half time when I went to Berwick last season. Is the haggis a regular feature at Scots'' grounds tea bars...if so any recommendations for the best? Mind you a good stand pie is a pretty good substitute.

I'll close with the traditional Shaw Taylor.

Maybe we can compare notes.
I've just moved to Scotland this year ( from Yate) so will be looking to get a football fix in and around The Borders.
I will be going to Selkirk FC as they've just signed my partner's nephew on a season long loan from Dalkeith so will go along to support him.
I will also get to Hawick Royal Albert, Berwick Rangers and Gala Fairydean and see where I feel most at home.
Looking forward to it but I will miss the Lodge Road and supporting the Bluebells but will no doubt organise some trips back to Yate to watch the Mighty whites a couple of times as well.

(This post was edited by Yatesman on Jul 1, 2017, 11:39 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3