Aspergers or not

DrewT
Ballboy/girl

Jun 29, 2017, 7:40 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #1 of 6 (1795 views)
Shortcut
Aspergers or not Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi, this is my first post despite being a long time reader, never before feeling I had anything worthy to say.
But, following a recent thread I have gathered up enough courage to put finger to keyboard.
Last week I completed an on-line AQ test and on the first attempt scored 39, which according to the blurb means that I may have Aspergers Syndrome and should seek a medical diagnosis. A couple of days later I tried again, where I downplayed some of my responses which I thought might lessened my score. Lo and behold the score came out at 39, again.
My question to any aspies is, Is it worth my while (at 58) to get a proper diagnosis?

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 29, 2017, 8:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 6 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DrewT] Aspergers or not [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I am completely ignorant in this field but I know there are plenty of forum members with experience of this from reading previous postings and I am sure some of them will respond to you either on the public forum or by PM.

My only question would be why you chose here to post that question rather than on some other place more dedicated to this subject?

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 30, 2017, 7:28 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Aspergers or not [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As Steve has said, this is not the place to get medical advice, although most posters on here are friendly and I know a couple including myself have children with autism
As to getting a test, the question I would ask is why. Aspergers and Autism are both broad spectrums and no one needs to be labelled. If you are on here, then you must love football at this level and people will obviously chat about it at length
Join in occasionally until you feel confident and make good friends, even meet a few at groundhops
Just have fun and welcome aboad
I think someone will suggest that groundhoppers, along with other people who collect things have a degree of aspergers and I must admit I am not sure the test, if I took it honestly, would result in a low number

DrewT
Ballboy/girl

Jun 30, 2017, 8:42 AM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #4 of 6 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Aspergers or not [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh b****r, that did not work. I wrote a reply, and tried to post it, only for the server to be unavailable, then when it came back, I tried to repost and ended up sending an empty post. So here goes again...

It was not an easy decision to make my original post, but as this is (so far) the only friendly forum where AS has even been mentioned I thought I would give it a try. If anyone can point me to some other helpful link I would be grateful.

I am not sure if being labelled or not will help me, but it might help me to help those nearest and dearest to me. Until I took the online AQ test and got the result I got, I thought that a lot of my social issue were everybody else's fault not mine. But having started doing some research I can see that many of the AS symptoms are mine, and boy do they affect others. Now, if getting diagnosed can help me then great. But if other aspies can say that it won't help. then I can avoid wasting precious NHS time and try to help myself.

I am looking for a way ahead, so any suggestions (within reason) will be gratefully received.

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 30, 2017, 7:24 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #5 of 6 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Your very brave I admire that in a person

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 30, 2017, 10:31 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1520 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Until I took the online AQ test and got the result I got, I thought that a lot of my social issue were everybody else's fault not mine. But having started doing some research I can see that many of the AS symptoms are mine, and boy do they affect others.

Firstly, you need to get away from this concept of fault. Yes, the way you relate to others may well impact negatively on your personal relationships but the fact that you're aware that there are issues is a positive thing and means you can work on them to improve the way you relate to others.

My youngest daughter has been diagnosed with AS and we help her to deal with her social issues by telling her when she's being rude etc. as she doesn't always realise how she's coming across. Despite having AS she is at University, has a boyfriend and deals with her issues very well and I'm sure with support from those close to you you'll find it's possible to work through any problems you may have.

Don't worry about labels. They are what they are and are only as important as you allow them to be.

As for being on here, like any community you'll find most are helpful but there'll always be a few who, for one reason or another, you are unable to get on with. Don't worry about it. After all, regardless what they post it's only words on a screen and unless you meet posters at a match it's unlikely you'll run into them at all.

One final thing. Humour. There are some on here, myself included, who are inclined to be an incorrigible tease. Don't take the posts (particularly mine) personally.

Good luck with moving forward.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3