Tube Challenge: number 3

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 1, 2017, 9:10 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #126 of 149 (3883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent effort oxpete and I look forward to following you on here next time you take to the tube. The weather must be a major factor in getting around as it can be absolute hell down there when it's 30 at street level.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jul 1, 2017, 9:30 AM

Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #127 of 149 (3867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

superb effort fella, was great fun following your 'tracks'

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 1, 2017, 11:33 AM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #128 of 149 (3829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well done again Pete. Thanks for the ride!

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:33 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #129 of 149 (3688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
So much for a midnight finish! At:

Station number 249: WIMBLEDON

Now on foot to SOUTH WIMBLEDON.

Good luck with the final few stations. Hope you are on target for a PB.

Thanks CC. With a time of 21:01:29, it is indeed a personal best, but only by four minutes and thirty seconds. And the Tube Challenge forum will still record it as the second slowest completion ever (beaten only by myself back in October!)

Thanks again.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:36 PM

Post #130 of 149 (3686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Congratulations Oxpete! A phenomenonal effort yet again. Well done, now go and put your feet up and have a nap as I'm sure there's a football match somewhere near you kicking off at 3pm!

Thanks for the message, Darren.

No football locally to help me take my mind off my aching feet, but TheWavendonian bought me a couple of quality pints!

Thanks again.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:37 PM

Post #131 of 149 (3682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well done, it's been fun following you criss-crossing London. This would be something I'd love to have a go at myself, if only I was 20 years younger!

Thanks Richard, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is definitely a sport for the youngsters!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:40 PM

Post #132 of 149 (3677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well done sir - and you finished in under 2 hours of the official start of season 2017-18.

Thanks for the message, Pitch 63.

And the sooner the new season is underway the better, in my opinion!

Thanks again.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:42 PM

Post #133 of 149 (3670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Excellent effort oxpete and I look forward to following you on here next time you take to the tube. The weather must be a major factor in getting around as it can be absolute hell down there when it's 30 at street level.

Thanks KK. It's only the mind-numbing boredom of no football that made this even vaguely resemble a good idea to me! Roll on the new season!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:43 PM

Post #134 of 149 (3669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
superb effort fella, was great fun following your 'tracks'

Thanks for your messages Andy. Much appreciated!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2017, 6:46 PM

Post #135 of 149 (3662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well done again Pete. Thanks for the ride!

Thanks for that Colin, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, too!

And thank you to everyone else on the Tony Kempster forum who sent me encouraging messages and good luck wishes, either on this thread or by PM. They are very very much appreciated!

Thanks again to you all,

Oxpete

Barbie
First Team Regular

Jul 2, 2017, 7:36 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #136 of 149 (3633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Congratulations on recording the most sedate and second most sedate completions of the Tube Challenge!

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 3, 2017, 8:19 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #137 of 149 (3567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well done Pete, I was following it when I could, so appreciated the live updates.

Good to hear you beat your previous time, and you doubtless have some ideas to improve it even further in the future.
Sounded like the early Kensington Olympia tick went well, would be interested to hear how you felt the various bus connections went?

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jul 3, 2017, 10:42 PM

Post #138 of 149 (3466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hope the recuperation is going well.

You'll have to take a sketch pad with you next timeLaugh

https://londonist.com/...e-london-underground

Incidentally, I meant to ask at some point: the standard rules allow for the transits between lines out in the extremities by foot or public transport, but has anyone ever managed to complete the network in a day relying solely on tube travel, with all the doubling back it would entail? Is it even possible? Maybe now with the night tube lines?

(really just curious, not suggesting...!)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2017, 5:19 PM

Post #139 of 149 (3333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hope the recuperation is going well.

You'll have to take a sketch pad with you next timeLaugh

https://londonist.com/...e-london-underground

Incidentally, I meant to ask at some point: the standard rules allow for the transits between lines out in the extremities by foot or public transport, but has anyone ever managed to complete the network in a day relying solely on tube travel, with all the doubling back it would entail? Is it even possible? Maybe now with the night tube lines?

(really just curious, not suggesting...!)

Thanks for that, Wheelbarrow.

Not sure how long it would take to do the whole tube network without actually leaving it - I guess that has a bit more in common with what they call 'line bashing'. I think I'm right in saying that Wishmaster of this parish has 'bashed' every railway line in Switzerland?

On the first weekend of night-time tube services, back in September last year, there was one bloke who was planning to spend a whole twenty-four hours travelling on the London Underground without leaving it, which would give you a good opportunity to achieve what you mention. Touching in and touching out with an Oyster Card might be a problem, and One-Day Travel Cards are valid for 24 hours from 4:30am, so a bit of planning would be needed.

Thanks again, Wheelbarrow!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2017, 5:46 PM

Post #140 of 149 (3321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well done Pete, I was following it when I could, so appreciated the live updates.

Good to hear you beat your previous time, and you doubtless have some ideas to improve it even further in the future.
Sounded like the early Kensington Olympia tick went well, would be interested to hear how you felt the various bus connections went?

Thanks, HantsLondoner! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've been told that to increase your chances of completing, it is necessary to attempt an early tick at Olympia, because the very rare evening Olympia services are so unreliable (they will often be diverted to another terminus if there are delays/congestion on the District Line). However, to complete in a fastest time (certainly sub 18 hours) it is necessary to start from Amersham/Chesham, which rules out any chance of making an early Olympia train.

The only time a Chesham start and a reliable Olympia service can be paired up is on one of the very rare Monday-to-Friday occasions when a large event at Olympia Exhibition Hall agrees to pay for a full-day Olympia tube service. At the moment, the GB Beer Festival, the Home Exhibition and the large Christmas show in early December are the most likely candidates.

The buses that you asked about all went fairly well, although some got snarled up in traffic to some extent. Feltham-to-Hatton Cross was during the morning rush-hour, and the Leytonstone-to-Walthamstow bus got stuck in mid-afternoon gridlock (though the driver swore he was actually running early!). The other two buses, however, ran totally hassle-free: the 307 from Oakwood-to-High Barnet (which is faster that the 340 Cockfosters-toHigh Barnet), and the 79 Cannons Park-to-Edgware. That last one is actually a really good bus if you are heading for Barnet FC's ground, as it means you could visit some of the good pubs in Hampstead or Camden beforehand, then get to The Hive via Edgware.

Thanks again, HantsLondoner!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2017, 6:26 PM

Post #141 of 149 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Congratulations on recording the most sedate and second most sedate completions of the Tube Challenge!

Thanks Barbie! That's a brilliant line there - sedate, what a wonderful word! Wink

I may well quote it to the rather uncharitable angst-fuelled speed-freaks who seem to populate the Tube Challenge Forum! They simply do not have the wit or class of any of our own Tony Kempsterites! Tongue

Thanks again.

hawkwind
First Team Star

Jul 5, 2017, 11:04 PM

Post #142 of 149 (3174 views)
Shortcut

Have enjoyed reading through this thread of your on-day exploits.

Cannot imagine what you were feeling when you posted from Waterloo but in the end you achieved your personal best with no trains to spare.

Reminded me of a team which needs to win on the last day of the season to stay up, takes the lead with 15 minutes to go, then heroically sees out time.

Awesome.

Congratulations.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2017, 6:20 PM

Post #143 of 149 (2957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have enjoyed reading through this thread of your on-day exploits.

Cannot imagine what you were feeling when you posted from Waterloo but in the end you achieved your personal best with no trains to spare.

Reminded me of a team which needs to win on the last day of the season to stay up, takes the lead with 15 minutes to go, then heroically sees out time.

Thanks for your PMs, Hawkwind, and for the hints and tips you passed on to me - very useful and much appreciated!

I think I might just give it another go again sometime next year! Tongue

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2017, 1:56 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #144 of 149 (1738 views)
Shortcut

With the release of the map of the new Elizabeth line will you start planning your next tube challenge?

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2017, 2:47 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #145 of 149 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nobody calls it that down here....it's Crossrail. Simples.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2017, 4:38 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #146 of 149 (1664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nobody calls it that down here....it's Crossrail. Simples.

Up't north we call it a waste of our money. The extra stations will start a frenzy of tube challengers, with the first to complete it, probably on the day it opens.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2017, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #147 of 149 (1655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
With the release of the map of the new Elizabeth line will you start planning your next tube challenge?

Crossrail is not a tube line...

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2017, 5:34 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #148 of 149 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wonder if my local Crossrail station, Harold Wood, ends up
looking like the artist's impression?

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2017, 7:55 PM

Post #149 of 149 (1516 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

As Scottywalds says, the new Elizabeth Line isn't being regarded so much as a new underground line, certainly not in the way the new Jubilee Line is. Therefore, it probably won't need new Tube Challenge record attempts to take place.

However, I can imagine quite a few people will be planning to use it in order to complete regular 270-station attempts in even faster times. For a start, the Heathrow-to-Paddington stretch which opens in May 2018 helps get rid of the long slog of an out-and-return on the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow T5. With good timings and inclusion in a good plan, I reckon that could potentially cut twenty-five minutes off a completion time (so that helps bring me down to under twenty-one hours Unsure).

I might be getting too old for this caper, but I'm thinking of having another stab at it in late June next year, with a Chesham start.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3